Search:

SIYE Time:13:16 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Storge
By Shamrock Holmes

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover
Warnings: Mild Language, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: Black Canary and Zatara of the Justice League are drawn to Godric's Hollow after Voldemort's attack on the Potters. Crossover with Young Justice (2010) and DC Comics in general.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2822; Chapter Total: 360





Author's Notes:
The Myriad of Possibilities Series primarily uses the background from the Harry Potter books, but some elements and scenes have been borrowed from other sources including the movies, Pottermore and my own headcanon, that will be covered where they fit into the narrative. The timeline of the DC Comics elements borrows heavily from Young Justice (2011) and may adapt elements and characters from the comics and several additional other media instalments - including but not limited to Smallville (2001) and Superman and Lois (2021) - and relocates events of Young Justice to the Eighties and early Nineties rather than the New Tens as screened and includes several 'legacy' and original characters as a result. Any other recognisable characters belong to their copyright holders.


This chapter and the following adapt
31.10.81 of Last Daughter of Krypton with some limited changes to accommodate new canon.


Thanks to mystic_magic88 and other members of the Caer Azkaban group for their help on this chapter.






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



The Bridewell,
Bristol BS1.
November 2, 06:55 GMT,
Team Year Minus One.

The sun peaking though the blinds on their bunk room roused Dinah from sleep. After showering and dressing in the black leggings, t-shirt and sandals that she’d picked up from a local store the afternoon before, she made her way down to the canteen and got herself a large mug of coffee and a fried breakfast.

She was halfway through her breakfast when Giovanni joined her with his own tray and the rest of the investigation team “ save for Harry Pearce and DCI Williams “ appeared before the eight o’clock shift change and the group, led by Anne Wooster, trooped up to the incident room where the two remaining members of the team were waiting for them.

Once they were settled at the big table, DCI Williams “ who wore the same dark suit and blue and silver-and-black striped tie that he’d worn the day before “ opened the meeting. "Good morning, everyone. I am Detective Chief Inspector Tomos Williams. The date is November 2nd, 1981… this is the third meeting of Operation Stork, the investigation into the deaths of James and Lily Potter and a third unknown adult and the orphaning of younger Harry Potter in Godric's Hollow, Somerset on the evening of the thirty-first of October. Does anyone have anything new?”

Mr Pearce’s partner Dorcas Leigh spoke first. “The Shaw Building has forwarded CCTV to us that is relevant to the investigation.”

“Can you put it up?” asked Williams.

“Sure,” said the blonde and tapped a couple of buttons on the control panel in front of her.

The whole group turned towards the flatscreen that hung on the wall opposite DCI Williams’ seat, which flared into life a few seconds later.

The clip was short, a well-groomed, lanky, dark-haired youth was in conversation with another stockier, blond youth. Both wore long robes. Even without audio, it was clear to Dinah that both were highly agitated, so she wasn’t particularly surprised when the entire area was enveloped by an explosion that once it cleared appeared to have vaporised the stocky boy and left a dozen bodies littering the ground around his previous location.

The only survivor was the lanky youth who had collapsed to his knees and appeared to be laughing maniacally.

Moments later, several individuals “ including a portly little man with grey hair poking out from under a lime green bowler hat “ appeared around him and a pair of them took him prisoner, while others lead by Bowler Hat spread out amongst the remaining members of the public that were present.

The image paused.

“The dark-haired man is Sirius Black,” said Dorcas. “The blond is Peter Pettigrew, allegedly a friend of Mr Black.”

“They didn’t look that friendly to me,” noted Russ.

“Very true,” agreed DCI Williams. “I think we can assume that Sirius Black will be unavailable to take care of young Harry for the moment.” He turned to his second in command. “Anne, have you heard anything from Social Services?”

“Not yet,” she replied. “I’ll check in with Surrey Social Services after the meeting. I’m hoping that I can co-ordinate approaching Lily Potter’s sister Petunia by the end of the day.”

“Stay on it.”

“Holly? Anything else from SOCO or the pathologist?”

The chisel-faced constable shook her head. “The unknown male appears to have been killed by the explosion or at least simultaneously with the explosion… the Potters were dead before the explosion, although she is ruling it as suspicious.”

“Not particularly helpful,” opined Williams.

“I agree,” agreed the black-haired constable. “But it’s what we’ve got.”

A phone rang, and Anne pulled out a Q-Phone and answered it. “WDS Wooster, Avon & Somerset CID,” she answered, then paused for a moment to listen to the person at the other end. “Thank you for getting back to me this quickly… you want me to come down to Guilford…?” She looked enquiringly at her boss, who nodded encouragingly. “I’ll be there in about two and a half hours.”

“Meeting adjourned,” declared Williams and rose to leave the room, with the two operatives in his wake.

Dinah turned to Anne. “Can I borrow Russ? I want to go back to the hospital to check on Harry.”

She paused for a moment to consider, then nodded. “Stay in touch.”

“Will do.”


Children’s Ward,
Bristol Children's Hospital
.
Bristol BS2.
11:30 GMT.


As soon as Dinah stepped off the elevator, she could sense that something was wrong. “Call for back-up!” she barked and ran down the curiously empty corridor towards the room where Harry was being treated.

When she entered Harry’s bay, the three kids in the bay appeared to be sleeping and a man shrouded in a heavy, black hooded cloak was standing over Harry’s bed.

“Step away from the boy!” demanded Dinah. “Now!”

The stranger turned, and the hood fell back exposing a face framed by a long mane of grizzled, dark grey hair, that was unlike any Dinah had ever seen. It looked as though it had been carved out of weathered wood by someone who had only the vaguest idea of what human faces are supposed to look like and was none too skilled with a chisel. Every inch of skin seemed to be scarred. The mouth looked like a diagonal gash, and a large chunk of the nose was missing.

But her attention was almost immediately drawn to the hand that was coming out of the cloak. It was horrendously scarred and clutched a short, greyish-brown magical wand that he pointed towards her. “Stu-

But before he could finish, Dinah took a breath and then blasted him with her Canary Cry, knocking him off his feet and slamming him into the wall with a thud and a sharp, wooden crack.

She immediately crossed the distance between them and once she was standing over him, she immediately kicked the wand from the half-conscious man’s hand, then salvaged a length of cable from the unused bed and uses it to bind the man’s hands behind his back as two nurses and a junior doctor eventually put in an appearance. “What’s going on?!” demanded the doctor, then relaxed as she recognised Dinah.

“I’m not sure,” admitted Dinah, as she started to check over the mystery man. “But I think this man was planning on either hurting or taking Harry.”

“What?” exclaimed the elder of the two nurses “ a stocky, black-haired man“ who rushed over to the boy and started to check him over. “He’s not waking up!” He turned to the other nurse. “Check the other two!”

The younger nurse “ a slim, pretty blonde “ nodded and rushed to check the other two kids, a flaxen-haired boy and a mousey-brown haired girl. “They’re not waking up either!”

The doctor shared a look with her nurses, “I want a full tox panel on all three.” Then she turned back to Dinah. “Is he carrying anything that might explain it?”

Dinah shook her head. “He doesn’t even have any ID, just a ‘magic wand’ and a wooden leg, now broken at the ankle.”

The doctor snorted but was interrupted before she could say anything more by a squad of armed officers led by a female sergeant storming into the room. Russ trailed behind them, looking nervous. “Report!”

“All clear, Sergeant!” Dinah replied. “We had an intruder, but I took him down.”

“Good, good….” said the sergeant. “Harris, Roberts, get him out of here!”

“Yes, ma’am!” confirmed the older of the two and moved to take the mystery man in hand. The younger nurse quickly produced a wheelchair which they loaded the mystery man into, and then wheeled him out.

Russ sidled up to Dinah. “Was this what you were expecting?”

“Something like it,” Dinah admitted. “Actually, it could have been a lot worse. We need to move him and soon.”

“I’ll let the boss know.”



The Bridewell,
Bristol BS1.
November 2, 12:55 GMT.


By the time they got back to headquarters after lunch, Dinah was asked to report directly to DCI Williams’ personal office.

When she entered the room, the two senior detective and Mr Pearce were waiting for her.

“Are we waiting for Giovanni?” she asked as she sat down in an empty chair.

DCI Williams shook his head, “While you were tied up at the hospital, he got a call from your headquarters and left for Gotham.”

“Did he say what happened?”

“Apparently his daughter was kidnapped.”

“Was anyone hurt?”

“Nothing serious,” replied Williams. “You don’t seem worried?”

“Not really,” admitted Dinah. “Zatanna’s been kidnapped before, she knows the score.”

“Really?”

Dinah nodded and paused for a moment to count. “I think this is the sixteenth time.”

“Sixteenth?!”

Dinah nodded again. “Although some of those were only attempts, not successful.”

Mr Pearce made a noise. “Can we get back to the investigation?”

“Of course,” agreed DCI Williams. “Anne, how did it go in…?”

“Little Whinging,” supplied the sergeant, and sighed. “Not well. Petunia Dursley made it clear that she wants nothing to do with…” She broke off and consulted her notes. “… I quote ‘that miserable little freak’.”

“Well, that’s not promising,” said DCI Williams.

Dinah nodded in agreement. “What do we do next?”

DCI Williams turned to Mr Pearce, “Do you have anything on the attack on the hospital?”

He nodded. “I do. It’s not good news.”

DCI Williams groaned. “What is it?”

“Well... as Black Canary guessed, he’s a wizard,” replied Mr Pearce. “His name is Alastor Moody.”

“Why is that a problem?” Dinah asked. “Is he with that terrorist you were talking about?”

“No, and that’s the problem,” replied the agent. “Officially, he’s employed by their government as a ‘dark wizard catcher’ in their law enforcement department…”

“And unofficially?”

“We believe that he unofficially reports to a member of their assembly, Albus Dumbledore, who is also the principal of their main school and somewhat famous as the man who defeated ‘Lord Voldemort’s’ predecessor, Gellert Grindelwald.”

Dinah wasn’t the ‘World’s Greatest Detective’ but even she got join the dots on that one. “So, not only do we have to worry about the bad guys… we also have to worry about the good guys as well.”

Mr Pearce nodded grimly. “Dorcas is with Mr Potter now, and I’ve got two more teams flying up from London. They should be on-site within the hour. I was hoping that Zatara would be able to cast that spell that he was talking about. However, we do have local magical assets we can call on, and I’ve dispatched two more agents to Liverpool to pick up one of them and bring him here.”

“How will that take?” asked DCI Williams.

“They should be landing soon as well,” reported the agent. “But they still need to find the asset and gain his cooperation. He’s not the easiest to find or biddable of people at the best of times.”

DCI Williams frowned. “Keep me informed.”

Mr Pearce nodded.



November 4, 16:46 GMT.


Dinah sat at one of the desks, waiting for the secure line to connect.

The screen flared into life and the monitor was filled with the face of Giovanni Zatara. What little that she could see of the background, suggested that he was in the Batcave. “Black Canary.”

“Zatara, how are you?” Dinah asked. “Have you found Zatanna yet?”

Giovanni frowned. “Yes, she’d been kidnapped by a puppeteer called Oscar Hampel and taken to the Stefanacci Museum in Hollywood. He’s been… dealt with. However, I would like to stay with Zatanna and make sure she’s okay.

“That’s fine,” agreed Dinah. “We’ll manage at this end.”

How is it going?

“Not great,” admitted Dinah, regretfully. “Harry’s aunt emphatically turned down taking him in.”

Does he have any other relatives?

“Not close ones,” replied Dinah. “There’s another friend of the family, a schoolmate called Remus Lupin, but after the kidnap attempt at the children’s hospital, we’re a little hesitant to make contact.”

I would agree.

“Mr Pearce is working his sources to try and locate other candidates that aren’t as directly connected to the Wizarding World.”

Giovanni nodded. “I can understand that. Have you given any thought to my spell?

“Mr Pearce wants to use a local mage.”

Understandable. Do you know who?

“Someone called John Constantine,” said Dinah. “Do you know him?”

Not personally,” said Giovanni darkly. “But I heard… certain things.

Dinah frowned. “Shouldn’t we use him?”

He has some talent,” allowed Giovanni. “But I wouldn’t trust him, he’s a master manipulator and almost as dangerous to his friends as his enemies.

Dinah paused. “Do you think Mr Pearce knows?”

Almost certainly.

Russ came up to her at that moment and tapped her on the shoulder. “DCI Williams wants to see you in his office.”

“Do you know why?”

“Apparently Mr Pearce’s consultant has arrived.”

“I’ll be right there,” said Dinah. “Giovanni, give Zatanna my best?”

Of course,” agreed Giovanni. “Zatara out.


Dinah’s journey to the chief inspector’s office was halted by the sight of two dark-suited officers “ a tall, long-faced, athletic woman with a tight, black ponytail and a lean, bookish man with tufty black hair “ frogmarching a blond man in a trench coat and suit down the corridor in front of her.

“What the bloody hell is this all about?!” demanded the blond man as he entered the office.

“A child,” replied Pearce as Dinah joined them. “He was orphaned at the weekend and appears to still be of interest to several potentially unscrupulous parties.” Spotting Dinah, he nodded to her. ““Black Canary, have you ever met John Constantine?”

“I haven’t had the pleasure.”

Constantine snorted. “I’m guessing that you’ve been talking to someone who has, lass?”

“Zatara,” confirmed Dinah. “He says I shouldn’t trust you, that you’re dangerous.”

“Well, he’s not wrong,” admitted the mage with a negligent shrug, then turned back to Pearce with a frown. “You’re talking about the Potter boy.”

“Yes. Is that a problem?”

“Not for me,” asserted the blond mage. “I’ve got no love for those wand-waving wankers on a good day.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“The problem is that if even half of the rumours on my side are right then that boy has a Destiny. Even if I pull out all the stops, there’s only so much I can do against that.”

At this, DCI Williams and Harry Pearce shared a look, but after a moment the specialist nodded, then turned back to the mage. “That may be true, but’s the still an improvement over what we’ve got now. If necessary, adjustments can be made in the long term.”

“If you say so,” conceded Constantine with a sigh, then pushed back his sleeves, stepped forward a little so that his view of the flat-screen wasn’t blocked by either of his minders and took a stance that reminded Dinah of some of Giovanni’s more complicated set-ups. “But let’s get on with it… Cunina, Ecate, Providentia... Mostrami il miglior tutore per proteggere il bambino... Harry Potter!

After a moment, a red spot flickered across the map, stopping briefly in the sea off the Scottish coast, then flaring in Sussex, then up in Wordenshire, then locking on to a location in London. After a moment, a photo of a vaguely familiar face appeared in a pop-up window.

Anne was working a tablet and beat Dinah to the identification by a breath. “Location confirmed, Isle of Dogs… the Second Law Innovations Building…”

“Do we have an ID?” asked the chief inspector.

“I know her… well know of her,” said Dinah. “That’s Lana Lang. She’s a friend of Superman.”


Second Law Innovations,
Isle of Dogs,
London E14.
November 4, 17:40 GMT.


“Can I help you?” asked the receptionist, apparently named ‘Roberta’ according to her nametag, as Dinah and Russ walked up her counter.

“I’m T/DC Russell Ripley, Avon and Somerset Police,” Russ told her, offering his warrant card for examination. “I’m looking for Lana Lang. I understand that she’s here.”

“One moment…” replied Roberta and keyed a series of commands into her computer. “Yes, she’s booked in to attend several of today’s presentations.”

“Could you have her paged?” asked Russ.

“Certainly,” agreed Roberta. “Is there anything else?”

“Are there any rooms nearby that we could borrow?” asked Dinah.

“Certainly,” confirmed Roberta, and pointed across reception to a bank of doors. “The second one on the right is available.

“Thank you,” said Dinah and headed towards it.

She and Russ only had time to settle themselves in comfortable chairs in the side room before a pretty, red-headed woman in an olive skirt suit and fashionable black heels presented herself at the reception desk and was directed to their side room by Roberta.

“Black Canary?” she exclaimed as she entered and recognised Dinah. “What’s wrong, is Cl…?”

“No, no…” Dinah replied. “Have a seat.”

Once the redhead was settled, Dinah introduced Russ and continued. “Do you have any contact with the Potter family?”

Lana seemed a little surprised at that question. “A little… Aunt Nel and Uncle Phineas…”

“What about the British Potters?”

Lana frowned. “No, I assume that there are British Potters, as it’s a common name...”

“There are,” Dinah confirmed. “Although they’re a little rarer now.”

Lana’s face fell. “What happened?”

“Zatara and I responded to a large explosion in the South of England at Halloween,” Dinah began. “We pulled fifteen-month-old Harry Potter from the rubble. His parents were dead.” She removed a photo from her jacket and passed it to the redhead. “His only close relative “ an aunt “ categorically refuses to take him in, unless we force her too, and we don’t think that’s a good idea even if we can…”

Lana nodded. Forcing people to do things like that rarely ended well.

“And his godfather, the only other guardian of record, was arrested on murder and terrorism charges earlier today.”

“So, even if he’s declared innocent, you’d think twice about placing him there either.”

“That’s right,” agreed Dinah. “Which means we’re in a bit of a bind… and we’re hoping that you can help.”

“Of course, if I can.”

“Once we found out about his godfather, we had John Constantine cast a spell to find ‘his best guardian’ and your name came up.”

Lana paused for a moment; she wasn’t entirely sure that she’d heard what she thought she had. “You want me to adopt him?”

Dinah nodded. “It’s an unconventional option I’ll admit… and even if you say yes, there could be problems with the paperwork but…”

“My similarities to his mother will make it easier for him,” said Lana, nodding at the photo that she still held.

“Yes.”

The silence stretched into several minutes, and Russ was starting to fidget when she glanced up again, her resolve clear now. “What do you need me to do?”




California Airspace.
November 6, 16:55 PST.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking… We will be landing at Starling Airport in five minutes. Please stow all baggage and return your tray tables to their upright positions. Thank you for flying Windsor Airlines.

Dinah had just finished doing so when the seat belt light flared into life.



Starling Airport,
East Gary,
Star City,
CA 93940.
1705 PST.


When Dinah cleared customs and emerged into the baggage claim area, Ollie was waiting for her.

When he spotted her, his face broke into a grin, and he strode towards her. “Dinah! You made it!” he exclaimed as they shared a hug.

“I need to go back soon,” Dinah admitted, breaking the hug and allowed him to take her carry-on bag. “But they’ve got things under control for the moment… you know what I’m like with the computers and paperwork?”

To her surprise, Ollie resisted the temptation to comment. “Are you ready to eat? I got us an early reservation at Seagrass.”

“My favourite,” said Dinah with a grin. “Lead the way.”



1710 PST.


Ollie parked his hatchback outside the restaurant and then they crossed the parking lot to the door of the restaurant, arm in arm.

“Welcome back, Miss Lance,” said the maître d and ushered them towards a prominent table. “Always a pleasure.”

“Thanks, Divyesh,” replied Dinah as she sat down. “Is anything particularly good today?”

The Uttarakhandi man looked conflicted for a moment, then replied. “For you, I recommend Aloo Gobi…”

“Sounds good,” agreed Dinah.

“I’ll have a Vindaloo,” interjected Ollie. “The chicken…”

“Very good, Mister Queen,” agreed Divyesh. “Anything else?”

“Just a mango juice for me,” said Dinah. “Ollie?”

“I’ll have some of the jalapeno bread and Soder Cola.”

“Very good sir. I’ll have your drinks brought over straight away. The food will be about twenty minutes.”

“That’s fine,” said Ollie, then when the maître d was out of earshot, he turned back to Dinah. “So, what actually happened in England?”

“Well, you know about the explosion we detected from the Watchtower on the thirty-first?”

Ollie nodded, “You and Zatara teleported down there and found the kid in the ruins…”

“Yeah,” Dinah agreed. “I took him to the hospital in Bristol to be checked out, while Giovanni liaised with the local emergency services.”

“Is he okay?”

“He’s fine,” Dinah confirmed. “After the hospital, I hooked up with the taskforce that was investigating the attack… We contacted his next-of-kin, his mother’s sister, but she refused to take him. While the taskforce was investigating other options, Giovanni had to come back here to save his daughter from a kidnapper…”

“She’s doing fine, by the way. Not that you’d know from how he’s behaving…”

“That doesn’t surprise me,” noted Dinah. “Well, anyway… the local version of the DEO brought in a mage called John Constantine “ who has something a mixed reputation “ and he cast a spell to find a new guardian.”

“Sounds good.”

Dinah nodded. “My driver and I picked her up and brought her to the hospital to meet with his social worker, who asked about her prospects, bona fides etc… She eventually agreed that she’d transfer to her paper’s London office until the next year so that the social worker could do a more detailed assessment.”

“Will he be safe there? You mentioned before that you had concerns?”

“We did,” Dinah agreed. “And we’ll all be a lot happier when they’re back in the States. But for now, they’re set up in an apartment on Cherry Tree Lane in London. Which apparently has a somewhat infamous… minder… that passes through occasionally and deals strictly with anyone who ‘misbehaves’.”

“You make her sound like some sort of community nanny.”

“Exactly,” agreed Dinah, then changed the subject and asked about what he’d been up to while she was away.

Their meals arrived a few minutes later and they tucked in, finishing in plenty of time to get to the theatre before curtain-up.



N/B: The Shaw Building is a possible nickname for Norman Shaw Buildings, Victoria Embankment in London, originally the second headquarters of the Metropolitan Police (i.e., the original New Scotland Yard), in LoDK it is now the headquarters of the Strange Happenings Executive, a UK counterpart of my invention to DC’s (American) Department of Extranormal Operations, Marvel's SHIELD, SWORD or WHO organisations or Doctor Who’s UNIT and Torchwood Institute.

Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear