Search:

SIYE Time:8:42 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Storge
By Shamrock Holmes

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover
Warnings: Mild Language, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 4
Summary: Black Canary and Zatara of the Justice League are drawn to Godric's Hollow after Voldemort's attack on the Potters. Crossover with Young Justice (2010) and DC Comics in general.
Hitcount: Story Total: 2821; Chapter Total: 343





Author's Notes:
The Myriad of Possibilities Series primarily uses the background from the Harry Potter books, but some elements and scenes have been borrowed from other sources including the movies, Pottermore and my own headcanon, that will be covered where they fit into the narrative. The timeline of the DC Comics elements borrows heavily from Young Justice (2011) and may adapt elements and characters from the comics and several additional other media instalments – including but not limited to Smallville (2001) and Superman and Lois (2021) – and relocates events of Young Justice to the Eighties and early Nineties rather than the New Tens as screened and includes several 'legacy' and original characters as a result. Any other recognisable characters belong to their copyright holders.

Further research has revealed that on
Young Justice (aka Earth-16), Star City is located in California not Washington State as it was in the Arrowverse. Some references have been adjusted accordingly.

Thanks to Mira Black-Snape and the members of the Caer Azkaban group for their help on this chapter.





ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



Aurora,
Star City.
CA 95039.
November 22, 18:55 PST,
Team Year Minus One.


The wisp of smoke came out under the bank’s back door, and then expanded into a thin, lanky old man.

“You’re a little outside your usual territory aren’t you, Mist?”

“Black Canary…” Mist sneered as he turned to face her. “What are you going to kick me?”

“You’re thinking of my mother,” Dinah told him. “I have other options…”

Before the elderly villain could reply to that, she opened her mouth and released a devastating sonic scream, that washed over him. He snarled and sublimated, heading towards her in a cloud of gas.

Dinah evaded his first attack, and as he was positioning for another attack there was a whistling sound, and an arrow flew through the air and detonated in the centre of Mist’s cloud.

The old man rematerialized with a scream and a second arrow struck him in the neck, knocking him out.

“Score one for the good guys,” said Ollie as he moved into the light. “O’Dare was on the money.”

“I’m not surprised,” replied Dinah. “His family’s been policing Opal City for over eighty years… they’ve forgotten more about their local ‘talent’ than most cops will ever know.”

Her commlink beeped. “Hall of Justice to Black Canary.

“Go ahead, Catherine.”

We just got a message from the Strange Happenings Executive,” replied Catherine Cobert, the Justice League’s media liaison. “Apparently that kidnapper you captured for them has escaped from Basement 101. They’re upping security around Miss Lang and Mr Pearce says that they’re worked to get her out of Britain as soon as possible.

“Understood, Black Canary out.”



Victoria Embankment Gardens,
London SW1X.
November 23, 16:16 GMT.


Zara feinted to one side, luring the goalie -- an arrogant navy shirt with a reputation with bullying little redshirts -- out of position, then wound up and struck the ball hard, sending it flying into the open net.

Her team gathered around her, hugging her in congratulation. After a moment, Zara noticed a staff member at the impromptu touchline looking at her, she broke away from her team and walked over to the older woman. “Did you want something, Miss DeVere?”

Miss DeVere nodded. “Harry wants to see you about a mission.”

“Immediately?” Zara asked.

The older woman looked her up and down for a moment. “You can get cleaned up and into uniform, but I wouldn’t recommend dawdling.”

“Understood, ma’am,” confirmed Zara, then turned back to her team. “I’ve got to go guys!”

The mixed group chorused goodbyes as she left the park and trotted off down the embankment in Miss DeVere’s wake towards Headquarters.



Third Floor,
SHE Headquarters.
17:19 GMT.


Zara -- now clad in her official uniform of grey t-shirt, olive combat trousers and boots -- stepped out of the lift and strode down a familiar corridor. Part way down the corridor, she stopped at a desk.

The woman at the desk took a moment to register her presence, then without a word nodded and motioned her to continue down the corridor, the girl did so, stopping again at a door marked ‘Harry Pierce and Dorcas Leigh, Junior Field Officers -- South-West Region’ and then knocking on the door.

After receiving a ‘come in’ from inside, she opened the door and entered. “You wanted to see me, sir?”

Mr Pearce sat behind his desk -- a much larger and more old-fashioned one than the government issue receptionist’s desk outside -- and looked up as she entered. He motioned her to take a seat in front of the desk. “Yes, I have an assignment for you if you’re willing?”

“A volunteer assignment, sir?” Zara asked, surprise and a little confusion clear in her voice. While in theory they had the option to refuse assignments, it was unusual for a handler to mention it upfront, and when they did the jobs were mostly dangerous enough that a group was attached. She glanced around the room, confirming her initial observation that even his partner was absent.

Mr Pearce nodded. “And yes, before you ask… technically you will be operating solo at least some of the time on site. However, I will join you when I can, and several officers -- including Dorcas -- and various… other assets… will be in play as an outer perimeter.”

With this curiously mysterious beginning, he rummaged in a stack of folders and extracted a slim file and handed it to her. “This should tell you everything you need to get started.”

Zara took the folder and opened it, then skimmed it -- noting her cover name for the duration in passing -- paused, her heart going out in sympathy to the little boy… glanced up at her handler… then returned to the file and went through it again, this time much more carefully. Once she’d finished reading it for a third time, she closed the folder and put it back on the desk. She didn’t have to think about it even for a moment, like all Irregulars she was an orphan herself, and felt an instinctive need to help other orphans when she could. “Why me?” she asked curiously. “Wouldn’t Penny or Jim be a better choice?”

Mr Pearce paused for a moment. “Miss Black wants to get into the Navy,” he replied. “We’d prefer to let her concentrate on her O-levels rather than get her tied up on longer missions.”

Zara nodded. That made sense.

“As for Mr Stuart…” Mr Pearce paused as if considering his next words carefully. “This mission may require some… finesse. Which is not his strong point.”

Zara nodded again. She’d heard the words ‘blunt instrument’ mentioned regarding Jim Stuart on more than one occasion and while she wouldn’t call him a bully per se… she didn’t disagree with the description and could see how that might comprise this operation. “When do I leave?”

“As this will be an extended assignment, you’ll need to get work from your teachers before you go rather than catching up when you return…” Mr Pearce told her. “Can you be in place by the end of the week?”

Zara reviewed her mental diary, coming up with only one potential conflict. “I’ve got a belt test tomorrow that I’d rather not miss if possible?”

“That’s fine,” agreed Mr Pearce. He glanced at his own schedule. “I’ve got a breakfast meeting with Sir James on Thursday, but we should be finished by ten… Meet me in the garage at ten-thirty?”

“I’ll be there, sir.”

“I’ll send a requisition to the quartermaster for your kit in a moment,” Mr Pearce promised. “I’ll authorise you the usual mission pack, plus some additional equipment due the nature of this operation.”

“Yes sir,” said the girl. “Should I go tonight?”

“In the morning should be fine,” Mr Pearce replied. “They’re a little busy right now.”

“Understood, sir. Is there anything else?”

“No, that’s everything,” Mr Pearce confirmed. “You can go.”

The girl rose to her feet, “Good night, sir.”

“Good night.”  



Junior Dorm.
November 24, 20:40 GMT.


“Lights out in five minutes, kids!” announced a black shirt from the entrance.

Zara quickly glanced over the remaining items that she had arrayed on her bed -- toiletries, her current book, a torch and a few other items that had been useful during training or previous missions -- and stuffed them into pockets of her go-bag, then put it on the floor by her bed and stacked her clothes for the next day on top of it.

She had just finished when the main lights snapped off, leaving on a few dim emergency lights scattered across the room, so she scrambled onto her bed and under the covers and despite her nervous excitement over her upcoming assignment she was asleep in moments.

 


November 25, 03:50 GMT.


Zara woke with the start. Initially she wasn’t sure what had woken her, so she stayed motionless under her covers, until she was able to identify the sound of someone moving around, most likely from one of the other beds in the room. She sat up and threw off her covers, peering into the gloom around her until she identified the source, a recent arrival who appeared to be flailing around in their sleep, most likely in the midst of a nightmare or bad memory.

She stood up and crept silently over to the bed and shook the boy’s shoulder. “Sam! Sam!” she hissed. “It’s okay, you’re safe… wake up!”

It took a few attempts, but she eventually roused him.

“What… huh?” he groaned, he tried to sit up but the covers around him thwarted his attempts until Zara helped him.

“Nightmare or bad memories?” asked Zara quietly once they were sitting comfortably on her own bed a few moments later with her arm around him.

“How did you…?” Sam asked.

Zara smiled. “We’re all orphans here, Sam,” she reminded him quietly. “And plenty of us -- me included lost their family in frightening circumstances. I’m guessing… boating accident?”

The ten-year-old nodded against her shoulder. “You?”

“Plane crash in the Amazon,” Zara replied evenly. “I was onboard but Brazilian search and rescue teams were able to find us in time to rescue me. You?”

Sam nodded again. “Why haven’t I?”

“Had them before?” asked Zara.

“Yeah.”

Zara shrugged. “You’re better off asking your handler about that… but if you’ve just come back from basic then tonight could have been the first time you weren’t too tired during training to dream since it sank in.”

“Makes sense,” said Sam weakly as he started to drift off again, and before Zara could even react, he was asleep again, this time sleeping soundly.

Working carefully, Zara managed to extract herself from the boy, then lower him down into a more comfortable position on her bed and cover him up. Then she stood up and after considering Sam’s bed, still damp from his sweat and smelling a little odd, she opted for one of the room's comfier chairs to see out the night.         

 


The Strip,
Las Vegas.
January 9, 09:30 PST.
Team Year Zero.


“Killer Elvis impersonators?!” exclaimed Black Canary incredulously, as the group produced weapons and attacked the motorcade that she and Ollie had been watching for. “Really?!!”

“It is Vegas,” replied Ollie deadpan, then shrugged and reached for an arrow in his quiver.

“Fair point,” Dinah admitted. “Black Canary to Watchtower, the Shadows have made their move… over a dozen assassins including Dark Archer.”

Understood,” replied J’onn. “Back-up is en-route.”

“I’m not waiting,” declared Ollie as he drew a pair of arrows from his quiver and fired them at the group, enveloping the first pair in a choking cloud of smoke, but missing several more -- including one that welded a bow of his own -- who dodged the attack, then quickly aimed in their direction and loosed an arrow of his own.

“Incoming!” warned Ollie. “Gotta go!”

Dinah tensed and leapt into the air seconds ahead of an explosion that wiped out the top two floors of the building. She landed in a crouch and took a breath, unleashing a Canary Cry at the archer and the two sword-wielding assassins that flanked him, while Ollie’s arrows took out another handful.

[Are you okay, Mister Prime Minister?] asked Black Canary.

[Your Japanese is very good, Black Canary-san,] The man replied. [I am unharmed.]

“Ask him about the outfits…” Ollie said as he took down two more assassins with taser arrows, then intercepted another explosive arrow from Merlyn with one of his own, detonating both in mid-air.

Dinah repeated the question.

The prime minister looked shame-faced for a moment, [I am a big Elvis fan… this is well known.]

Dinah nodded to herself. That made sense. She was just about to return to the fight herself when she heard a sonic boom and a familiar man in red and blue flew into the courtyard.

The assassins, knowing that their mission was a failure scattered.

[Greetings, Mister Prime Minister,] said Superman as he landed in the square, briefly scanning the area as he did so. [I hope you are unharmed.]

[It is always a pleasure, Superman-sama,] The prime minister replied with a bow. [I am unharmed. Regrettably, my entourage were not so fortunate.]

“Uh, not to be rude or anything,” interjected Ollie. “But are we getting out of here?”

You are,” confirmed Superman. “Take over for the prime minister’s driver, I’ll stay here and co-ordinate clean-up.” He turned to the prime minister and explained his plan. The man paused, nodded agreement, then turned back to the last remaining car of his motorcade and got in. “Black Canary, can I talk to you for a moment?”

“Of course, Superman.”

“I went to visit Lana in London last week…”

“How are they doing?”

“Pretty well. Harry’s a cute kid, he loved the stuffed dog I got him…”

“Does it have a name?”

Superman grinned ruefully. “Krypto.”

Dinah grinned. “Not your idea?”

“No. Lana suggested it, I think she might have intended it was a joke… but he liked it so much I didn’t have the heart to argue.” He paused for a moment. “He was asking after his ‘Auntie Dee’ too, I said you’d been busy…”

“Which I have been,” Dinah agreed. “I’m going over next month for the custody hearing of course, but I’ll try and squeeze something in before then.”

Superman looked like he was about to say more, but a loud bleep from Ollie and the several sets of flashing lights distracted him. “You’d better go, I’ll handle Metro.”

Dinah nodded and strode back towards the limo, opening the passenger door and sliding in just as the first black-and-white pulled into the square.



Transfiguration Department,
Hogwarts,
Scottish Highlands.
February 20, 19:45 GMT.


Minerva was deep in a pile of first-year essays when a house-elf popped into her office, she glanced towards her. “Yes?”

“Dinky apologizes for disturbing you, Professor McGonagall, ma’am…”

“That’s all right, Dinky,” Minerva assured her, then glanced away again, put down her quill, capped her bottle of ink and then turned back. “What do you need?” 

“Dinky has a message for you from Professor Dumbledore…”


Headmaster's Office.
19:50 GMT.


“You asked to see me, Albus?” Minerva asked as she walked in the office.

“Yes, Minerva,” he confirmed with a tiny smile. “I received information from a source…"

“Mundungus Fletcher,” suggested Minerva.

Albus nodded. “He thinks he spotted young Harry.”

Minerva snorted, unconvinced.

“Perhaps you are correct,” Albus conceded. “Apparently he had somewhat disconcerting experience with a Muggle street musician and panicking before he could follow the boy to his home. But he was able to give me Apparition coordinates for the wooded park where he spotted him. I would like you to go there and reconnoitre in your Animagus form.”

Minerva paused. “You’ll cover my classes?”

The headmaster nodded.

“I’ll do it,” she agreed, and accepted a note with the coordinates written in Albus’ ornate script.



London N2.
February 23, 14:20 GMT.


Minerva drew a blank for the first two days, but she spotted a dark-haired, green-eyed boy of about the right age playing with a blonde-haired girl in the local playground. To her surprise, the third member of the party was a red-headed, green-eyed woman that strongly reminded her of Lily Potter who was sitting on a bench watching the duo.

Minerva crept a little closer to the group, her fur snagging on stray blades of grass and twigs as she cleared the bushes. After a moment, she decided that the woman was several years older than Lily had been when she died, but similar enough that someone like that jakey Fletcher might have gotten confused…

She turned her gaze towards the boy and was trying to decide if he could be young Harry -- his smile and laugh as the blonde girl pushed him on the swing did call to mind James Potter but -- when a flurry of wings distracted her.

She looked up in time to see a massive flock of pigeons descending down on her from above. She tried move back under the bush out of their way but two of them landed behind her and cut her off, then lunged at her, scoring several hard pecks before she was able to dodge away. Caught up in the moment, heart thumping, she fled, running as fast as her feline legs to carry her, only stopping at the park’s entrance once she was sure that she eluded her pursuers.   

She glanced at the park’s sign, and her heart started pounding again as she noticed the name on the sign.

‘Cherry Tree Wood & Playground.’

Please tell me that eejit hasn’t sent me where I think he’s sent me… she thought, not at that moment sure whether meant Fletcher or the headmaster, then headed away from the park, looking around for other signs. The first street sign she found -- that declared a side street to be ‘Brompton Grove’ -- was reassuringly unfamiliar, but a second sign about a hundred yards down the road made her blood run cold…

It read ‘Cherry Tree Lane’.

I’m going to kill him! Minerva declared -- still not sure which man she meant, possibly both -- then turned tail and ran in a third direction, away from both the sign and the wood. Fletcher was probably wrong… but even if he wasn’t, I’m not about to risk angering her by challenging someone in her territory! Once she found an out-of-the-way spot, she returned to her human form and Apparated back to Hogsmeade.


Reviews 4
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear