Search:

SIYE Time:19:16 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Old Love
By TheHallowsInMe31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 54
Summary: 10-year-old Willow Young had always been warned of the house at the end of the lane along with its mysterious occupant. But still, she found herself drawn to the house and the old man with sad green eyes that lived inside.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8493; Chapter Total: 674
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
So, we come to the end. This was originally only going to be 15-25k words but I went over a little bit trying to give you guys as much content as I could. I want to thank all the people that read and reviewed my story. I'm going to take this time to read and review other stories of the people who were kind enough to enjoy my story before I start on my next story. I expect I'll start posting it in 3-4 weeks so I hope anyone who enjoyed "Old Love" stays tuned in.

TheHallowsInMe31




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Willow Young was ecstatic about today. Today was her birthday, and not just any birthday, no. Today she turned seventeen. Today, she came of age.

She'd be able to do magic outside of Hogwarts, get her Apparition license, and do every other manner of things that came with turning seventeen in the wizarding world.

She didn't have any friends left in Ottery St. Catchpole. Olivia and Noah had moved a couple of years ago to Bath. Their father had got a job teaching at the local university and their mum had got a job as a tour guide.

She hadn't visited them yet, wanting to put if off until she graduated so she wouldn't have to worry about transportation or anything.

She still loved to ride her bike all over Ottery St. Catchpole. She would have preferred her broomstick, but couldn't just fly over a mostly Muggle village and risk being seen.

She reveled in the bright and sunny weather as she rode her bike down to the house at the end of the lane. She hadn't visited her grandparents in a week and since her mum had kicked her out of the house so they could "get ready for her party," her mum's words, thought it was high time to pay them a visit.

Willow parked her bike by the porch, walked up the steps, and entered the house.

What immediately caught her eye was the numerous boxes lining the hallway. She looking into the sitting room and found it empty. Confused, she made her way to the kitchen which also turned out to be empty.

Frowning, she made her way up the steps. Each room she checked on the second floor was also empty. Making her way to her grandfather's room, she noticed the door was slightly ajar, and pushed it open quietly and walked in.

The room was also empty except for a small table and chair that her grandfather now sat in as he finished writing what looked like a letter.

"Sup Granddad?" she said

Harry jumped so quick Willow could've sworn his soul left his body for a minute.

"Merlin, Willow!" he said as he turned around to face her, "Don't sneak up on me like that."

"Sorry," She grinned sheepishly, "I'm surprised you don't lock the front door anymore."

"What would be the point?" he asked, "You would just pick the lock."

"True," she laughed, "So, are you going to tell me why your house is all empty? Where's Grandmum at?"

"Oh, that," he said, "We're moving. We found a nice little place in Hogsmeade so I can be closer to Hogwarts. These knees aren't what they used to be. As for your grandmum, she went over to your house to help prepare for your party."

Willow nodded, "She making you do all the hard work, eh?"

"Something like that," Harry chuckled as he folded up the piece of parchment he had been writing on and placed it in an envelope along with another paper before sealing it with his wand.

He handed her the envelope.

"What's this then?" she asked.

"Your birthday present," he said, "and don't even think about trying to open it. I charmed it not to open until your party."

"Aww, you're no fun!"

He chuckled as he stood up, "You are the embodiment of what it means to be a Weasley. All too clever for your own good and incredibly impatient."

"I take that as a compliment," she said in a fake haughty tone.

"Although," he said slyly, "You were sorted into Slytherin. That's not very Weasley of you Miss Young."

"It was worth it to see Uncle Ron's face though," Willow sad with a grin, "I honestly thought he was going to have a heart attack when I told him."

"I think he was close to it," he said as he stood up.

They made their way out of the room, down the steps, and out the front door to sit on the porch one last time.

"So, what does it feel like to be seventeen?" Harry asked her after they had sat down.

"I dunno," she replied, "I mean I'm excited and all, but I don't feel any different."

"I remember when I turned seventeen," he said thoughtfully as if recalling a memory. "It was rather strange."

"How so?"

"Well, it was during the time when I was still at my aunt and uncle's," he started off. "The protection my mother had given me was going to expire the minute I turned seventeen."

"The blood ward magic?" she questioned.

Harry nodded before continuing, "Anyway, the Order was always coming up with outlandish ways to try to get me away from my aunt and uncle's house before I got murdered. This one took the cake."

"What did they do?"

"They brought half the Order with them," he said with a chuckle, "and then had six people, including your Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione, take Polyjuice Potion to look like me and act as a diversion in case we were attacked."

"I bet you loved that," she said sarcastically.

"I hated the idea," her granddad said as he looked out over the treetops. "Looking back on it now, it was rather funny. I mean, picture having a conversation with yourself but with six other personalities. It was wild."

"Could you imagine talking to seven of me?" Willow asked.

Her granddad let out a bark of laughter, "I'd rather not. One of you is enough."

"I'm not that bad!" she exclaimed.

"If you say so," he teased back at her.

They sat in thoughtful silence and Willow took this time to study her grandfather.

It was crazy how they had only been mere acquaintances six years ago.

When Willow had wrecked her bike in front of his house six years ago, she'd never believe that that one event would have led them to where they were today. Looking at him now, one would never believe this was the same old man that lived at the end of the lane from six years ago. His eyes now shone with a happiness that she hadn't seen when she had first met him, happiness she was almost sure had been caused by her grandmum, his wife. Maybe she and her mum had a little to do with it as well.

"Will Daniel be making an appearance at your birthday?" Her granddad asked her.

Daniel was her boyfriend. They had started dating in the middle of their fifth year and had been going strong ever since.

"No," she pouted, "He's still in Brazil with his mum and dad."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he told her, "I actually like Daniel. He's not a bad bloke."

"I'm going to marry him one day," she said dreamily.

"I know."

"You do?"

"I know that look," he replied, "I use to have the same look, or so I'm told."

"Please," she snorted, "you still have that look. You're so hopelessly in love that it is sickening."

"I have to make up for lost time somehow," he said with a grin.

"I guess," she replied cheekily, "but if I have to watch you and Grandmum kiss one more time, I swear I'll vomit."

He laughed.

She teased him mercilessly about it all the time, but the truth was, she was happy for her grandparents. After everything they had been through, all the hoops they had to go through, and hurdles they had to jump over, they deserved it.

She only hoped she could have a kind of love like that when she was that age.

"Well," her granddad said as he stood up, "it's about that time. Can't have a party without the guest of honor."

He held out his arm for her to take.

She took the proffered arm and they Apparated with a crack.

{---------}{---------}


Wi llow opened the letter she had got from her granddad and read through it carefully, her eyes widening in amazement with each line. She pulled out the other piece of official looking Muggle paper and smiled.

It was the deed to the house at the end of the lane.

She stuck both items back in the envelope and looked out into her back garden. Her mum and dad were talking to her Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron. All four were laughing. Her great-grandparents were talking to Noah. He was giggling about something and showing them a new toy he had saved up enough allowance for.

Much to her delight, Daniel actually made it in from Brazil just in time for her party and was talking to her grandmum and Victoria, who was a friend of theirs from Hogwarts.

And then, there was Harry.

He was leaning over the railing of her porch, surveying the scene in quite the same fashion she was.

She made her way over to him before propping her elbows on the wooden railing.

"You gave me a house," she said.

Her granddad chuckled.

"You know," he replied, "I never thought I'd be able to have this before." He gestured out to their family before he continued, "My life has been a roller-coaster; it's had a lot of ups and downs but meeting you, was definitely an up."

"You gave me house," she repeated.

"Yes, I did," he said with a smile.

"Why?"

"Because," he said simply, "I want you to have a family of your own one day. If I didn't give it to you, I'd just end up selling it. It's too big for just your grandmum and me. I don't know why I bought it in the first place."

"Thank you," she said earnestly.

"You're very welcome," he said with a smile, "I could think of no one I'd rather have given it to than you… and possibly Daniel."

"Granddad!" she exclaimed with a huff. "Daniel and I still have a way to go before we get married."

"I know," he said with a smile, "But it never hurts to be prepared."

She took his hand, now weathered and aged by time, and asked, "Do you remember when you said you didn't believe in miracles?"

"Vaguely," he replied.

"You didn't believe in miracles because miracles never happened to you," she said, "but you had it all wrong."

"I did?"

Willow nodded. "You stopped believing in miracles and that's why they never happened to you. Miracles only happen to people who believe in them."

He looked thoughtful as he contemplated her words. "Do you believe in miracles now?"

She saw his eyes scan all the people in the yard before zeroing in on her grandmum. "You know," he replied with a wide smile, "I think I just might."

They both stood in silence after that. Nothing more needed to be said.

It was true that miracles happened every single day, and an old love that always felt new, well…


That was just one of many.
Reviews 54
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear