Search:

SIYE Time:2:11 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Old Love
By TheHallowsInMe31

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 54
Summary: 10-year-old Willow Young had always been warned of the house at the end of the lane along with its mysterious occupant. But still, she found herself drawn to the house and the old man with sad green eyes that lived inside.
Hitcount: Story Total: 8385; Chapter Total: 1033
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


"Let me get this straight," Harry said to her the next day when she had shown up to help him in his garden, "You want me to meet your parents?"

"Yep!" Willow said.

"Um, why?" he asked, "I don't know if you know this, but I'm not good around people."

"All the more reason to come," she replied with a smile, "You don't get out much and you need to start. Meeting my parents is a small step. It's just me, Liam, mum, and dad so it's not like it's a bunch of people. Besides, they want to meet you. I'm sure they are grateful for you patching me up when I fell on my bike."

"I'm pretty sure they want to make sure I'm not some sort of creep since you come over every day," Harry said with a laugh, "It is a little strange that you'd rather spend your time with someone so old."

"I have fun talking to you though," Willow said, "You're like the grandad I never had."

"You don't have a grandad?" he asked in a surprised tone, "Everyone has a grandad."

"Not one that I can remember," Willow said as she moved down the flowerbed, "Grandmum doesn't ever talk about it."

"Oh, I see," Harry replied.

Willow turned to look at him to see Harry lost in thought. He did that often. He was probably remembering days long gone with his own family and friends. He hadn't opened up to her anymore since she helped with his sunflowers but hopefully, she could get him out of his shell. She didn't know why it was so important to her to get Harry to confide in her and talk about his past. Maybe she just felt like he needed a friend. Maybe, in some small way, she did feel pity for him, although she would never admit that to him. She had known Harry for all of two weeks and her heart already bled for the old man.

"Think of it as one of my birthday presents," she said, breaking him out of his trance.

"Oh you just automatically assume I'm going to get you a gift for your birthday are you? he asked with a chuckle.

"Well duh," she replied in a playful tone, "I'm your friend. You're only friend by the looks of it. You don't want to upset me by not getting me a present."

"Miss Young," Harry laughed, "Are you trying to blackmail me for a birthday present?"

"Yep," she said not even trying to look embarrassed.

"Alright, I'll go," he said and when she looked excited added, "But just a dinner. Being around people truly is emotionally draining for me so I won't be able to stay long."

Willow squealed, dropped her trowel, and before Harry could react, ran over and wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," she said excitedly.

Willow knew she had startled him with the hug but honestly didn't care. He needed out of his seclusion.

He patted her back awkwardly before she stepped away.

"How do you have so much energy?" he asked in awe, "It's astounding and slightly overbearing."

Willow laughed, "I'm 10 years old. I'm supposed to have energy. You mean to tell me you weren't like this at my age?"

Harry avoided her eyes, " I um, didn't have the greatest childhood. My parents died before I could even remember them so I was sent to live with my aunt and uncle. They weren't very nice."

"What does that have to do with having too much energy?" she asked cocking her head to the side.

"Well you see, " Harry started still avoiding her eyes, "If I showed any type of positive emotion that usually ticked them off pretty bad and I'd get locked in my room under the stairs without food."

"They starved you? she asked horrified, "That's terrible."

"It wasn't that bad," Harry shrugged at her, "The beatings were worse."

"They hit you too?" she asked, "What horrible people. Wait did you say your bedroom under the stairs?"

"Yeah," he replied grimly. I slept in a cupboard under the stairs until I was eleven."

Willow was shocked. He had been physically and mentally abused by the people that were supposed to be caring for him. She knew evil people existed in the world but she hadn't ever wanted to believe that people could do that to a child.

"They were scared of me and what I could do," Harry said, "They were terrified that I was magical, they were muggles you see, and they were scared something would disrupt the perfect little family they had. So they tried to beat the magic out of me."

Noticing the horrified look on her face he continued, "I'm sorry for describing it so vividly. I shouldn't be talking about this with you. You are too young for things of this nature."

"It's okay," she said hiding her shock and anger at the people who had turned his childhood into a nightmare behind a mask of indifference, "I'm glad you told me."

"I don't even know why I did," Harry said, "I guess you're just easy to talk to. 10-year-olds don't judge you."

"When was the last time you just hung out with someone or made small talk with a human being?" she asked

She watched as he scratched his head like he was trying to remember something before saying, "I don't remember."

"That long huh?" she asked

Harry looked sheepish, "Yeah it's been a while."

Each time Willow learned something new about Harry, she was reinforced in her belief that she had been meant to find Harry. He was a lost soul and she was going to make it her mission to help him find his way.

"Can you tell me more about the war?" she asked as she changed topics, " Some people in my family talk about it but never when I'm around."

"Hmm I don't know if that would be appropriate," he said, "War isn't something kids should have to hear and learn about. Especially this war. It wasn't pretty."

"Oh, okay," she said in a defeated voice, "How about you tell me of this mystery girl you've been in love with since you were 16."

Let's put the tools up first," he replied with a laugh, "I can only kneel down for so long."

"Okay old man let's go put up the tools," she said with a grin.

After the gardening tools had been put up and Willow was sitting on the porch swing sipping a glass of lemonade, Harry turned to her.

"I saw her for the 1st time when I was 11 years old," he said with a smile.

"I was trying to figure out how to get onto platform 9 3/4. I had not been told how. I had to wait for a family to walk by that seemed like they were heading to the same place I was. She was only 10 at the time so she wasn't going to Hogwarts that year. I became best friends with her brother and he told me all about how she had had this huge crush on me since she was like 5 years old or something. She would always do embarrassing things whenever I was around like put her elbow in the butter dish or drop stuff she had been holding. She sent me a rather embarrassing singing valentine's day card during my 2nd year at Hogwarts. In my 3rd year, I fell from my broom during a quidditch match and had been layed up in the hospital wing. She showed up again with a singing card she had made herself."

"Wait you mean to tell me you weren't dating by that point?" Willow asked inquisitively?

"Well at the time girls really didn't interest me," Harry said with a laugh, " I was only 13. Sadly, I didn't realize I had feelings for her for almost 3 more years. Another one of my many regrets I suppose. If only I had noticed her when we met, we would've had more time together than we had."

"That makes sense," she replied. She understood all too well. She couldn't be bothered by boys and probably wouldn't for a long time.

"Something you have to know about me Willow," Harry said, "I didn't have a great childhood. When I started Hogwarts I made friends and found a family who took me in as their own child. I was happy but still, something was always missing."

"The girl you loved?" she asked.

"Indeed," he replied, "When I first kissed her, It's like all the puzzle pieces finally seemed to fit together. The part of me that was empty was suddenly filled."

"But you broke up with her," Willow said

It was not a question but a statement.

"Yes," Harry replied looking down at his feet, "It still haunts me to this day. If I hadn't, I do not doubt that we'd be married right now spoiling our grandkids crazy. I wouldn't be this recluse with no friends."

"Well, I'm your friend," Willow said

Harry looked at her before replying, "I think you just might be."

I should be going now," she said as she stood up, "Do me a favor?"

"What would that be?" Harry asked her.

"I need you to try and believe in miracles," she said, "If two people are meant to be together, then somehow, some way, they'll find their way back to each other. No matter how long it takes."

{--------}{--------}


Wil low was running around frantically trying to make sure everything was in order. Harry was set to arrive any minute. She didn't know why but it was important for her parents to like him or else they might decide that she could no longer associate with him.

After she had left Harry's house, she had went and rode her bike with Noah and Olivia. They had asked more questions about Harry and she had shrugged her shoulders to most of them. Now that Harry was talking to her about personal things she didn't feel like giving up his secrets. She felt like he wouldn't enjoy that too much and to her, it felt like a breach of trust. He had confided in her details of his life. Details she wasn't sure if anyone else in the world knew. No, she wouldn't betray that trust.

She set the table quickly as her mother finished up the rest of the cooking.

"Willow honey," her mum said teasingly, "Are you going to have company over with your hair looking like that?"

Willow ran over to the small mirror on the fridge and froze. Her hair was frizzy after her shower and it stuck out in random places.

"Bugger," she said, "I need to go brush my hair really quick.

She ran out of the kitchen not even hearing her dad's chuckles as she took the steps 2 at a time to her room.

She threw herself down in front of her mirror, pulled out a hairbrush from a drawer, and began pulling it through her hair as fast as she could without ripping her hair out. She didn't know why she was so nervous honestly. Harry didn't care what she looked like. She always had to look her best for company though. She had always been that way.

She heard the doorbell ring and jumped up. What if her parents didn't like him? What if they said he couldn't be her friend anymore?

She bounded down the stairs, almost running into the wall in the hallway before she stopped.

She gave herself time to catch her breath before making her way to the front door and opening it.

Harry stood there looking slightly uncomfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

"Come on in," she said as he stepped inside slowly, "Mum was just finishing up dinner."

He looked around as if trying to find escape routes and she added, "Don't be nervous. It's just the three of us. Liam is with a babysitter."

He relaxed slightly but still seemed to be on edge.

She led him down the hall and into the kitchen where her mum was turned towards the sink and her father was already sitting at the table.

"Mum, Dad," Willow announced, "This is Harry."

Her dad stood up and moved over to them to shake Harry's hand but before he got to them, her mother turned around.

Willow heard a sharp gasp and her dad stopped suddenly. She turned to see Harry, his arms shaking and face as white as a sheet. Before anyone could say anything, Harry turned on his heel and walked out.

"I'll be right back," she said as she bolted out of the room after him.

For an old man, he was surprisingly fast she thought.

She caught up to him as he stepped out onto her porch.

She put her hand on his arm and he stopped.

"Harry, what's wrong?" she questioned."

"It's. She," he stuttered.

"Take a second," she said to him, "Breathe, calm down."

They stood like that for the next minute, Willow's hand on his arm, as he tried to compose himself.

Finally, he turned to her, "I'm sorry," he said quietly, "Your mum surprised me."

"Huh?" Willow said, "What are you going on about?"

Your mother," he replied, "She looks like someone I used to know. Someone that I haven't seen in a long time. Someone who I lost."

"Oh!" Willow said in surprise, "And to you, it was like looking at a ghost?"

"Yes," he replied, "I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry," she said, "Are you okay to go back inside?"

"Yeah, I think so," he said.

He followed her back inside and to the kitchen where her father and mother were now conversing in whispers by the table.

Upon their reentrance, they both stopped their conversation and turned to Harry and her.

"I apologize for my hasty exit and horrible manners," she heard Harry say in a firm tone, "You reminded me of someone from my past Mrs. Young and it startled me is all."

"That's quite alright," her mother said to Harry, "This is my husband Isaac and I'm Lily."

Harry appeared startled at the mention of her mother's name but recovered quickly and held out his hand for them to shake, "I'm Harry Evans. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well," Lily said.

"So, Mr. Evans," Isaac said as they all sat down, "Willow here says you're a wizard. Is that true?"

Harry turned to her before looking back at her dad, "It is, although how she found out I have no idea. I guess I'm getting careless in my old age."

Her dad laughed, "Willow is very intuitive. There's not much that she doesn't pick up on."

"True," Harry said with a laugh, "Your daughter is very bright for her age."

"I'm still here you know," Willow said.

Her mum and dad laughed and Harry grinned.

"I'm sure you already knew this was coming Mr. Evans," Lily said, "But as Willow's parents we have to make sure that the people she is around aren't dangerous which is why we invited you here tonight."

Harry nodded.

Her dad spoke up again, "As I'm sure you know, it's a little odd seeing a 10-year-old girl hanging out with an older gentleman that isn't family. We just wanted to make sure that you didn't give off the wrong aura, so to speak."

"You're right," Harry said looking down at his hands and then back up, "I should've been truthful with you from the start. I understand that to put both of your minds at ease, I have to tell the whole truth. I hope after you know, you'll be able to forgive me and see why I go by Evans."

What do you mean Harry?" Willow spoke up, "What did you lie about?"

"My last name isn't Evans," Harry said, "That was my mother's maiden name."

All three looked at him in confusion before he continued, "My last name is Potter."

The silence that greeted his confession was deafening.

Willow had no idea what significance his last name held but by the looks on her parent's faces, they did. Her dad was eyeing Harry with something close to amazement and her mum's eyes had widened to the size of dinner plates.

"What does your last name have to do with anything?" Willow asked when it seemed her parents would not speak up.

"Because Willow," he said, "I'm the one who ended the war 53 years ago. I killed Voldemort."

"Wow," Willow said, "So you're like a war hero or something?"

"Something like that," he said with a smile.

"You're...You're really Harry Potter?" her dad asked

Harry nodded, "I hope you can forgive me for the deception."

"We understand," Her mum said, "Why don't we eat now and we can finish talking outside. The weather has been lovely lately."

Willow noticed all throughout dinner her mum staring at Harry when he wasn't looking around, her eyes full of sadness? Pity? Willow couldn't quite tell.

Soon after dinner, they made their way out onto the back deck.

"So Harry," Willow's dad asked as they all sat down, "Did you ever play Quidditch?"

Harry smiled, "I did. Before everything happened, I was about to join the Chudley Cannons."

"Wow," Willow said, "That's my favorite team."

Harry laughed, "They're horrid."

"Hey now," Willow said, "They're just going through a rough patch."

"For the past 200 years?" Harry laughed.

"You'll have to forgive Willow," Lily said, "Her great uncle has been brainwashing her since she was old enough to walk."

Harry laughed, "Sounds like my best friend from school. He was a cannons fanatic. Never shut up about them. That's why I considered their offer over the other 8 teams.

"You got offers from 9 out of the 13 professional quidditch teams?" Her father asked in awe, "What position did you play?"

"I was a seeker," Harry said, " I joined the house team in my 1st year. I was the youngest player in over a century. They normally wouldn't let you try out for quidditch teams in school until your second year."

"It's still like that now," Isaac said, "Wow! That's amazing."

"What about you?" Harry asked turning to Willow, "Do you like quidditch?"

"Well, I want to play one day," she replied, "But mum doesn't like the thought. Says it is dangerous or some nonsense."

"That's because it is dangerous Willow," Lily said with a frown."

"Your mum's right," Harry said, "Remember when I told you I was on top of the school roof and about all those injuries?"

Willow nodded.

"That was from a quidditch accident, Harry said, "I fell 50 feet from my broom. If the headmaster hadn't managed to slow my fall, I'd be dead right now."

"Still," Willow pouted, "I want to play. It looks so fun."

Harry grinned, "It is amazingly fun."

They talked for another 30 minutes about random things until Harry stood up.

"I must be off," Harry said, "Thank you for the wonderful meal, Mrs. Young."

"It was our pleasure, Mr. Potter," Lily said as she stood up and shook his hand.

Her dad got up as well and shook Harry's hand, "It was a pleasure to meet you, Harry."

"Likewise," Harry grinned, "Is it okay for me to apparate?"

"Oh yes," Isaac said, "We don't have any wards on the house."

Harry turned to her and said, "Thanks for inviting me Willow. It was nice to get out of the house."

And with a crack, he was gone.

"So," Willow started, "What did you guys think?"

"I think he was brilliant," her dad said, "Although him running out of the kitchen was slightly odd. He said you reminded him of someone dear."

Her mum looked like she wanted to tell them something but looked at Willow instead, "He was definitely interesting."

"So can he come to my party?" Willow asked hopefully as she crossed her fingers.

Her mother's face split into a grin that Willow had not been expecting, "I think that would be an excellent idea."

Willow squealed before hugging her mother and running off.

They said he could come. Now all she had to do was convince Harry that he should.
Reviews 54
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear