Search:

SIYE Time:9:48 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The night before The Proposal
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 5
Summary: Ron Weasley loved his sleep, so when his best mate showed up at his doorstep at two in the morning before his proposal to Ron's sister, what could Ron do but give him advice? Fluff
Hitcount: Story Total: 937



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights ? J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter



Ron Weasley was having a particularly good dream about Quidditch when he heard someone banging on his door. The flat above Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes was often graced by knocks on the door, especially since George had moved away with Angelina, but they were mostly in the evening.

"Go 'way," Ron said to no one in particular. The banging did not stop. Forcefully he opened his eyes and checked the time: two in the morning. More awake now, he snatched his wand from the bedside; his war reflexes had never truly died, and Ron crept towards the door slowly, Petrificus Totalus already on his lips.

He pulled the door open in a flash and pointed his wand at his .. best mate?

"Harry?" Ron said, staring bewildered at the man standing in front of him. He was wearing a green Harpies T-shirt and grey trousers, shivering in the cold.

"Can- Can I come in?" Harry said, his hair looking messier than usual as he stared at Ron, a crazed look in his eyes.

Ron was worried. He was not a stranger to how bad Harry's nightmares could get, and he had often tried to help his friend when they used to share a flat. Harry made his way to the couch and promptly collapsed onto it, closing his eyes and spreading his legs in front of him.

"What's wrong, mate?" Ron asked, gently sitting beside him. He turned on the lamp with a quick wave of his wand.

Harry peeked an eye open and took a deep breath. From his pocket, he took out a small box. A jewellery box.

Harry opened the box, revealing a beautiful gold ring with a glittering emerald sitting at the top. Ron stared at the ring in amazement. Harry had told him about the proposal, of course, but this was the first time he saw the ring.

"Harry, you're my best mate. And- I'd do anything for you, and I love to hang out with you. But I cannot take this. I'm in love with Hermione, mate. I'm sorry." Ron said in mock dejection, shoulders shaking with laughter.

For a moment, Harry stared at him, blinking slowly.

"What? No! It's for Ginny." Harry said, not catching up.

"Oh really? Well, that's okay then, I guess," Ron said, smirking. "Haven't I already given you my permission, though? Why're you here at this hour, barely dressed for the middle of January?"

"Oh, err, you see- I mean- do you think?" Harry stammered, making Ron look at him like he had two heads. Ron Weasley liked to sleep, and this was decidedly not that.

Yawning, he rubbed his eyes. "Harry, are you okay?" He said, hoping his confusion and concern would come through.

Harry took a deep breath and seemed to shrink as he placed the ring box on the table and put his head in his hands.

"Maybe I shouldn't do this." He mumbled, barely audible.

"WHAT?" To say Ron was shocked would be an understatement. Was this not the same man who had sappily proclaimed his undying love for Ginny to an unwilling Ron over a Firewhiskey last week?

"No, I mean- I love her. She's so smart and amazing, and not to mention gorgeous and-" Harry sighed dreamily, staring off into the dark. One of the few times Harry looked like an idiot was when he daydreamed about Ginny. But he also looked so bloody happy that Ron could usually not help but smile. Not today, though; Ron better not have been awoken to hear his best mate describe his sister.

"What's the problem then?" Ron said, still confused.

Harry turned to look at him with big frightened eyes. "What if she doesn't want me?"

It was Ron's turn to blink slowly at Harry.

"Why wouldn't she?" Ron said, "It's not like she can get her hands off you." he added, scrunching his face in disgust.

Harry blushed but was not deterred. He jumped off the couch and began pacing, his favourite habit.

"What if she's not ready for this? I mean, we are young, and what if she's only been with me this whole time because she's too nice? And-and it's not like I have anything special to give her, you know? Merlin. Maybe this is not the right time."

Moaning the last part out in despair, he sat back down, rubbing his face again.

Ron sighed. He was also not a stranger to the ' I-don't-deserve-this.' moments Harry had. He patted Harry's back.

"Harry, Ginny loves you." Ron could not believe he was doing this.

Taking a deep breath, he continued, "You both are young, yes, but the things you have gone through, the things we all went through, I don't think any of us have felt twenty-two in ages."

Harry, though not looking at Ron, sat still, listening to his best friend's words with attention.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but- you both are perfect for each other. I know you always talk about how Ginny makes you so happy, but you do the same for her, mate.

And though I don't like dwelling on it, I've seen how she is around you- happy, strong- she's like herself. And I see that spark in her eyes that she used to have when we were kids, before the war. And you're the reason for that." Ron said, running out of things to say, his sentences did not follow a pattern, but the fact that he was even making sense half-asleep was good enough.

"You really think so?" Harry said, looking twelve instead of twenty-two. If Harry was not so serious, Ron would've laughed at his expression.

"Yeah, mate. I do. And if there was anyone I'd trust my baby sister with, it would be you. Besides, you'll really be my brother, and that's bloody brilliant, that is." Ron said, stretching his hands.

Harry was quiet for a minute. Then, he shook his head.

"Thanks, mate. I don't know what came over me." Harry said, relaxing into a smile. "She is pretty amazing, isn't she?" He said, sighing again.

Ron shook his head in disbelief- the things he did for Harry.

"Not a problem. It's tomorrow, right? You need to sleep- do you want to look like a zombie when you ask her?" Ron said, "I can see it now- 'Ginny, will you marryyy me?'" he added, adding a snore at the end. He poked his tongue out at the phrase.

"Oi!" Harry said, lightly punching Ron's arm.

"You're an idiot, Harry," Ron said, slapping Harry's back and getting up.

"You're really testing how much I accept this relationship, aren't you? Almost banging my door down at two for relationship advice. From me too!" Ron said, another yawn escaping him.

"Thanks, mate. I was going mad in my bed. I really appreciate it," Harry said earnestly, and Ron's mock annoyance melted.

"It's okay, Harry, and I'm here for you. If you want to marry my absolutely bonkers sister, who am I to stop you from signing your death warrant?" Ron said, shrugging.

"Now go sleep, and I'm going to get you back for this," he added, pulling Harry from the couch.

Harry stumbled and looked back with a smile, "You really are the best. And I'm so sorry for waking you up," he said, taking Floo powder in his hand.

"I know. It's okay. Next time, though, try to choose a more convenient time?" Ron said, walking towards the kitchen to get himself some water.

"G'night, Ron," Harry said, disappearing into the roaring green fire.

"Good night, Harry," Ron said to himself, smiling. He shook his head at the absurdity of what just happened and sighed. Ginny would say yes, of course, Ron thought.


As he pulled the blanket to his chin a while later, he could not help but think about how right it sounded- Harry and Ginny, Ginny and Harry. And he knew that this was one thing Ron could rest easy on- his best mate had found someone to bring light to his life. His sister had found a companion who respected her and would support her in every condition.

Unknowingly giving his blessings to the pair as Harry had imagined in his sixth year, Ron fell asleep, dreaming of his own future with Hermione.

Fin


OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Author's note: I hope you liked this little fic! This one just popped into my head, and I had to write it in one sitting. I'd really appreciate it if you drop a review; it's my only way of knowing if you liked it!
Reviews 5
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear