Search:

SIYE Time:12:35 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 163893; Chapter Total: 6645







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter







O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



A/N This is a considerable time jump now to May, 1998. It is just after the seventh years have taken their NEWT exams. The wizarding world has lived in chaos for the past few months, and the community is preparing for what they hope will be the final battle.


Chapter XV: Leaving


Harry and Ginny sat together in Dumbledore’s office. The old man sat silently opposite them, watching intently their puzzled faces.

“Tomorrow,” he began. “The all seventh years who wish to fight will join hundreds of wizards and witches in the final campaign against Voldemort. Battles will be taking place across the country, so Harry you will need to be prepared to apparate at a moments notice to wherever Voldemort will be.”

“Yes sir,” said Harry.

“What about me?” asked Ginny. “I want to come. I want to fight.”

“You’re not strong enough,” said Harry.

“I don’t care,” she said. “I promised that I’d be at your side.”

“Harry is right, Miss Weasley,” said Dumbledore. “Not that it makes any difference. I have a special task for you, here at Hogwarts.”

Ginny looked at him questioningly.

“All of the teachers and staff here at the school will be leaving to fight,” he explained. “This means that students will be unsupervised, and with all the seventh years gone, that leaves sixth years as the oldest. After consulting with the staff, I have decided that you would be the best person to lead the school through what can only be described as its darkest hour. You will be able to run the school as you like. I only ask one thing. Make sure that they know how to fight, in case they have to defend themselves.”

“Why me?” asked Ginny.

“Because you’re strong,” said Dumbledore. “Not physically any more, but mentally. You have the courage to keep smiling when there is nothing to smile about. You have the will to keep fighting, even though your illness does not allow it. You have enough love in your heart for no evil ever to penetrate you and you have the intelligence to know and do what is right for the world and not for yourself.”

“There is no one better than you, Ginny,” said Harry.

“I don’t know if I can do it,” said Ginny. “How can I stand before the students and say to them with confidence that we will come through the war and that their loved ones will return to them, when I don’t know it? How will I be able to stand there and say to them not to be afraid, when I am so afraid that I will never see you, or my brothers, or my parents ever again? How will I be able to break the news of death and failure to them?”

“You will find a way, Ginny," said Harry, squeezing her hand. “I know you will.”

“I just don’t think I have the strength,” she whispered.

“But you’ll find it,” said Dumbledore. “Just like you found the strength to cope with your experiences in your first year, and just like you found the strength to cope with your illness. I am putting my faith in you, Ginny, and I know that you won’t let me down.”



*+*+*+*



The next day came quickly, too quickly. Some of the aurors had arrived at the castle, to escort those who were going to fight away from the castle. Barriers had been constructed halfway down the school drive, to stop anyone from leaving who wasn’t supposed to leave. Students had assembled behind the barriers to see off their heroes. Ginny stood by the barrier with Harry clinging tightly to her. He and the rest of the seventh years stood on the other side of the barrier with the aurors who had come to meet them. They were leaving to go to fight the war.

"I wish I could come too," said Ginny.

The tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"You have to stay here. You have a job to do, Ginny," Harry whispered, his own eyes stinging.

"I love you, Harry," whispered Ginny.

"I love you too."

"Come back to me, Harry."

"I will, I promise."

“I won’t be able to live without you.”

“You won’t have to. I’ll come back, no matter what.”

“Two-thousand miles, right Harry?”

“Two-thousand miles.”

"Seventh years!" shouted Kingsley Shacklebolt. "It is time to leave."

"Ginny, when I get back, will you marry me?" Harry asked.

Ginny stared at him struck dumb. Before she could answer, Harry was pulled away by one of the security men. Ginny grasped his hand until she could no longer reach. The tears fell fast and freely now. Harry and the others reached the end of the path.

"HARRY!" shouted Ginny.

He turned at the sound of his name.

"YES!"

He grinned at her, and lifted his arm up to wave. She raised her hand as the group disappeared through the gates, and Ginny, not knowing if she would ever see him again, wiped the tears from her eyes and turned to face the students now in her control.

“Ok, everyone,” she shouted. “Could you all go into the Great Hall and take your seats? I would like to fill you in on the arrangements for the next few weeks.”




*+*+*+*


Ginny stood at the staff table, with seven other sixth years beside her.

“As you all know, Professor Dumbledore has left me in charge of the school during his absence, and as all the teachers are gone there will be no lessons.”

A small cheer broke out.

“However, that doesn’t mean that you will be spending your time by doing nothing. I have chosen leaders from each house who will help me lead sessions of various kinds, which I hope that you will enjoy. From Gryffindor house, there will be myself, Colin Creevey and Susan Reynold. From Ravenclaw, I have chosen Luna Lovegood and Andrew Williams. From Hufflepuff, there will be Alex Puckle and Jennie King and from Slytherin, George White and Kelly Murphy. These leaders will help me take sessions with mixed groups. Now, for the first week, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff first years and second years will be led by Luna Lovegood and Alex Puckle; Gryffindor and Slytherin first and second years will be led by Colin Creevey and Kelly Murphy; Ravenclaw and Slytherin third years and fourth years will be led by George White and Andrew Williams; Gryffindor and Hufflepuff third and fourth years will be led by Jennie King and Susan Reynold; Hufflepuff and Gryffindor fifth years will join George’s group and Ravenclaw and Slytherin fifth years will join Jennie’s group. I will visit each group every session and will plan out each session. There will be a room list on the door to the Great Hall tomorrow. Next week the groups will change, so you will have to interact with members of a different house to this week. Seating arrangements in the Great Hall will be as follows: house tables will be abolished. The room will be filled with small four person tables. At each table there will be a red chair, a yellow chair, a green chair and a blue chair. Red chairs will only allow Gryffindors to sit on them, yellow will only allow Hufflepuffs, green will allow Slytherins and blue will allow Ravenclaws. Mealtimes will be stricter than usual. Breakfast will be from 9am until 9:45am. Lunch will be from 12:25pm until 1:15pm and supper will be from 6pm until 7pm. During those times, no one will leave the Great Hall. Common rooms and dormitories will only be used between 10pm and 9am. Certain rooms of the school will be set up as recreational rooms, but they will be accessible to everyone, and I will be keeping an eye on them to make sure that they don’t become makeshift house common rooms. Professor Trelawneys Divination Classroom will become a quiet room, for anyone who just wishes to sit and think, or simply be alone. Every evening I will be there between 7:15pm and 8:15pm for anyone who wishes to talk. One session a day will be devoted to learning defensive spells, which I hope you will never need to use. This session will take place here in the Great Hall with everybody together. Sessions will end at 6pm, but I will organise evening activities that will be fun and enjoyable, these will take place each evening between 8:30pm and 10pm. They will consist of games, singing, story telling, etc.”

The students remained silent listening to her every word.

“I know that this is not an easy time, for anyone. And I know that we are all worried about the outcome of the battle, but we need to make our best efforts here at Hogwarts, so that this is a happy place for our teachers and seventh years to return home to. We have a unique opportunity to unite the houses, something which hasn’t been done for over a thousand years. We can really make a difference. If we remain strong within these walls, and we work as a single unite, this castle will never fall, and dark magic will never penetrate it.”

Ginny paused.

“I expect you all her for 6 this evening, for your meal. The house tables will remain as they are today. All new rules will be in place starting tomorrow.”

Ginny sat down and the students filed out of the hall.






A/N And I’m into the main story. There will be one or two chapters about Ginny’s leadership, and then it’s on to the plot bunny that started this whole story. Hopefully I’ll be nearly finished by the end of my summer holidays. But, I must warn you to be prepared for a few tragedies. Will there be a happy ending? Unless I get too carried away with my love of tragic fics, then yes, there will be. However, don’t get your hopes up.




Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear