Search:

SIYE Time:22:51 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 164426; Chapter Total: 6293







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter XIX: The First Mile

The first step is always the hardest to take, Ginny found as she left the front door of Andy and Marion’s house on the morning of the fifteenth of July. Even thought the sun was shining, there was still a cool crispness to the air. It was barely half past eight, and there were not many people around. Marion and Joanne had been out and got some clothes for Ginny, special clothes for walking, which are made of fabrics that dry easily, wick sweat away from the body and even repel insects. Marion had found some trousers that could be zipped off above the knee to make shorts. So today, Ginny set out wearing beige trousers, a white sun top and a blue jumper tied around her waist. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky as Ginny headed through the town towards the lakeshore.

Derwent Water, Keswick’s lake, was very beautiful. It was so calm it was like a millpond. The launch drivers were cleaning their boats and the rowing boats were being prepared for the day’s influx of tourists. Ginny could feel the stones crunching beneath her feet as she passed the jetties. Strangely, she did not feel any weakness in her stride. Normally, she could not stride out as she was doing, or walk for so long without a stop, but today, she felt as if she could walk forever.

She looked out a across the lake, where she could see the green slopes of Cat Bells, a relatively small hill that resembled a camel. She looked along the ridge as Cat Bells grew into the higher peaks of High Spy and Maiden Moor. She adjusted the rucksack on her back and ducked under a low tree branch. She glanced at her map. Ginny had outlined the route she was to take in pencil, so she would not take the wrong path by mistake.

After about half an hour of walking along the lakeshore Ginny reached the jetty at Ashness Bridge. She climbed the steps, crossed the road and began up the steep lane. Panting slightly, Ginny finally reached the infamous bridge. A small beck rushed over the rocks creating many tiny waterfalls. The bridge itself was just about wide enough for one car to cross. Ginny crossed over it quickly, and began up the steep, grassy climb to the summit of High Seat. She carried on across the wide, open land to Bleaberry Fell, and then down over Walla Crag.

She dropped down from the slopes into Castlerigg and then along the road into Keswick. Ginny was slightly disheartened as she returned to Andy and Marion’s house, six hours after she left. She had not found anybody. And although she wasn’t really expecting to, she was still disappointed. But she resolved to carry on. To carry on until all two-hundred-and-eighty-five prisoners were returned safely to their homes, whether Harry was among them or not.


*+*+*+*



And so the first week passed, and with no sign of any Death Eaters or prisoners, Ginny was becoming increasingly anxious. However, one thing did amaze her. Her old strength was fully returned, as though she had never been ill.

“I can’t believe it, Marion,” she said one evening. “It’s like they never poisoned me.”

“But how?” said Marion. “You told me there was no cure.”

“There’s not,” said Ginny. “At least that’s what Dumbledore told me.”

“It doesn’t make sense,” said Marion. “Not that I’m not thrilled, because I am, but I just don’t understand.”

“Dumbledore said that I had less than three years to live,” said Ginny. “Because there was no antidote. He said that the only way to save me would be… Of course!”

“What?” asked Marion.

“An act of selfless love would save my heart,” said Ginny. “That must be it!”

“Well what you’re doing certainly is selfless,” said Marion. “And it’s out of love for Harry.”

“Obviously for Harry,” said Ginny.

“Maybe Dumbledore sent you out here for a reason.”

“Maybe he did.”

Two days later, to Ginny’s ‘delight’, she noticed something suspicious. She was up on High White Stones, far above the village of Grasmere, when she noticed a group of four men standing in a huddled group, a few metres off the path. They were dressed as muggles, but looked as though they had got dressed in the dark. Looking behind her, Ginny checked that no one was around. She quickly whipped out her wand, pointed it at each man in turn.

“Stupefy," she muttered for each man.

She hurried over to them and quickly searched their clothing, finding a wand hidden up one sleeve of every man, and another inside a small pouch around their waists. She removed the wands from the pouches and looked around, for a concealed entrance somewhere.

Ginny trampled the area for a few moments before finding a small hole behind a rock. She pointed her wand at it and it grew until it would fit her inside, comfortably. She pointed her wand at the Death eaters, binding them with a strong cord, and then dropped into the hole.

As she hit the ground, four dirty faces turned to look at her.

“Who are you?” asked one of them.

“You are no Death Eater," said another.

“Did you fight in the battle against Voldemort?” Ginny asked quickly.

“Yes,” said a woman.

“Then it is true,” muttered Ginny. “What are your names?”

“Why should we tell you?” said the woman.

“Because I may need to contact you,” said Ginny.

She pulled a small notebook and biro out of her rucksack.

“My name is Eleanor Harrison,” said the woman.

Ginny scribbled it down.

“I am Kenneth Salmsbury,” said one of the men.

“Larry Brent,” said another man.

“Robert Francis,” said the fourth.

Ginny wrote their names, then placed the notebook into her rucksack.

“My name is Ginny Weasley," she said. “You must tell no one of my presence in your prison. You must hand the Death Eaters who were holding you hostage over to the correct authorities. I will take you down to the foot of the hill, there you will send up red sparks from your wands. A Ministry of Magic official will soon be on hand to rid you of the captives. Nobody can know that I am here, otherwise my mission will be endangered. The Ministry, under the control of the Wizengamot, has told the world that you are dead, so it will be a shock for your relatives when you turn up alive. I am the only person who knows of the Death Eaters plans, who is able to do something about it. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Miss Weasley,” said Kenneth.

“Thank you,” said Ginny. “One final question. Do any of you know the whereabouts of Harry Potter?”

“No,” said Eleanor, looking at the other blank faces. “I’m afraid not.”

Ginny led the way out of the prison. She pointed her wand at the hole, shrunk it then tied the Death Eaters to the hostages. She returned the four wands to their rightful owners, then took the Death Eaters wands from them.

“Ennervate,” she said.

The four Death Eaters awoke, and stared at Ginny wide eyed.

“Your plans have been spoiled,” she said smoothly. “Your hostages have been freed, and many more will soon join them. For you own benefit, I suggest you leave without a fuss. You have finally lost this battle.”

She set off walking down the hill, with the others following behind her. She allowed herself a small smile. She had done it. She had freed four of the hostages. She knew now that they were out here, and she would do all in her power to save the rest.

After a couple of hours walking, they reached the bottom of the hill.

“This is where I leave you,” said Ginny. “Remember, tell no one.”

She turned and headed away down the path, but turned to see the red sparks shoot high into the air.


*+*+*+*



A week and nine more freed prisoners later, Ginny awoke to bright sunshine on the thirty-first of July. She felt considerably subdued as she climbed out of bed and headed to the bathroom. She even allowed the tears to fall in shower, something she had not done since she left Hogwarts.

“What is wrong, dear?” asked Marion, as Ginny sat down for breakfast.

The sadness in Ginny’s eyes gave it away.

“It is the thirty-first of July,” said Ginny, quietly, taking a piece of toast.

“What about it?” asked Joanne, tucking into her cereal.

“It would have been my boyfriend’s eighteenth birthday today,” said Ginny, sadly. “It’s made me think of him more than usual.”

Joanne looked at her.

“You must love him a lot,” she said.

“I do,” said Ginny. “But it’s very hard. I hope that you never lose someone you love.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever fall in love,” said Joanne.

“You will,” said Ginny. “Otherwise, what on Earth did all those people die trying to save? They died to make sure that you would never lose someone you love, have the freedom to love whoever you choose and live a life with no fear. Remember that.”

Joanne looked at her with admiration.

“How can you be so strong, and so sure?” asked Joanne.

“I don’t know how to be weak,” said Ginny. “I’ve been strong my whole life. I had to lead Hogwarts, when everyone else was away fighting. I had to be strong then. I had to be strong, for my Mum, for my Dad, for my brothers and for my friends. If I can’t be strong, then everyone falls to pieces around me. I will never let that happen.”

“I wish I was like you, Ginny,” said Joanne.

“Maybe you will be,” said Ginny, with a small smile. “One day.”

Joanne grinned.

“You must be the best person in the whole world,” said Joanne.

“I don’t think so," said Ginny. “There are much wiser and cleverer and better wizards and witches than me.”

“But you’re brave,” said Joanne. “You have strength and courage that they don’t have. That’s much better than brains.”

“Maybe it is," said Ginny. “You’re a lovely girl, you know that?”

“I know,” said Joanne. “But Mum doesn’t believe it. You can tell her!”

“I think she might have heard," said Ginny, looking over to Marion.

“Good luck Ginny,” said Andy, entering the room. “Where are you headed?”

“Helvellyn,” said Ginny. “I know it’s busy up there, but the prisoners are turning up in the most unlikely places.”

“Well,” said Andy. “Helvellyn’s lovely, so try and make some time to enjoy the views. How many Death Eaters have you caught, so far?”

“Thirteen,” said Ginny. "A long way to go yet.”

“You’ll be okay,” said Andy. “Although they may have realised something is up, by now. Just keep your eyes peeled.”

“Always,” said Ginny. “Always.”

She stood up from the table.

“I’ll be at least seven hours today," said Ginny. “That includes the bus ride. So don’t hang around for me. I’ll heat some food up when I get back.”

She laced her boots up tightly.

“Okay Ginny," said Marion.

“See you later,” said Ginny.

She opened the door and stepped outside. She closed the door behind her and set out for the bus stop. Ginny lifted her eyes up to the sky.

“I don’t know if you can hear me, Harry," she whispered. “But, wherever you are, know this. I am not giving up, and if you are alive I will find you. I love you, Harry. Happy birthday.”








A/N The significance of Andy and Marion was the fact that they have the same initials as Ginny’s parents. I forgot to put in a disclaimer about Ginny’s maps. They are Ordnance Survey Explorer (Formerly Outdoor Leisure) Maps. Codes, OL4, OL5, OL6, OL7. The places where Ginny will walk in these chapters, I have walked myself, so I do know the routes. Thank you to everyone who has reviewed, I love to hear what you think. I am going on holiday tomorrow 24/07/04, so I won’t be updating for at least a week. However, I should be able to find time in my little cottage in Scotland to hand draft the next couple of chapters, so they will be up pretty soon when I get back. Please review.
Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear