Search:

SIYE Time:21:37 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


2000 Miles
By Fire

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Tragedy, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 453
Summary: When Harry realises his need for Ginny he eventually finds a way to tell her how he feels, but their fairytale romance is interrupted by a battle with the Dark Lord, and Ginny is determined that she won't lose Harry and is prepared to go to any lengths to prevent it. H/G, R/Hr.
Hitcount: Story Total: 164394; Chapter Total: 6245







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



O that ‘twere possible,
After long grief and pain,
To find the arms of my true- love
Round me once again!…
A shadow flits before me-
Not thou, but like to thee.
Ah God! that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
~By Alfred, Lord Tennyson



Chapter XXVII: Adjustments


It was two weeks since the miraculous return of Harry and Ginny. Ginny was finding it quite difficult to settle back in to school life, as it was almost a year since she had been in a fully functional Hogwarts. Harry, on the other hand, had fast become the school’s favourite professor, almost unanimously. His classes were so inventive that the students couldn’t help but love them. There was never a dull moment in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, especially when the seventh years were around.

“How did you escape, Professor?” Colin Creevey asked, partway through a lesson about Voldemort.

Ginny didn’t have to speak to Harry to know that he hated every moment that he was speaking of his foe. She sat at the front, mouthing encouragement to him every time he seemed to falter or seemed to have a momentary flashback.

“I was rescued,” he said briefly, careful not to glance at Ginny.

“By who?” asked a Ravenclaw girl.

“Someone who wishes to remain anonymous,” said Harry.

“We won’t tell anyone, sir,” said another Ravenclaw.

“That’s not the point,” said Harry. “I have been sworn to secrecy, and I intend to keep my promise as long as I can.”

“How is he ever going to know that you told?” asked a Hufflepuff boy.

She,” said Harry, stressing the word. “Has her ways.”

“But we really want to know,” said Ginny’s friend Laura.

Harry sighed.

“Raise your hand if you would like me to tell you,” said Harry.

Ginny’s eyes bore into Harry’s. Every hand went up around her, except her own.

“Ginny Weasley," Harry said. “You appear to have much less curiosity than your class mates. Would you like to share with them why you don’t want to know who this heroine is?”

Ginny glared at him.

“I believe that if this girl has gone to such lengths to keep her identity a secret, then it must be for a good reason,” said Ginny in a flat voice. “It is obviously important to her that nobody knows what she did, and therefore you should uphold your promise.”

Harry nodded.

“And that is why Ginny is the best witch in your year,” said Harry. “It’s not because she’s so much smarter than you all, or so much better at Quidditch, it’s because she has morals. She was able to climb into the rescuer’s skin and see the situation from her perspective. This is something that you all must learn to do, if you want to get anywhere in life. I would like to speak with you at the end of the lesson, Ginny.”

Ten minutes later the class filed out of the room, leaving Ginny behind. Harry was perched on the edge of his desk and Ginny had stood from her seat.

“I could kill you,” said Ginny.

“Why?” said Harry. “I didn’t tell them did I?”

“You as good as did,” she said. “Climb into the rescuers skin, honestly! That isn’t so hard is it, seeing as it’s me!”

She spoke the last sentence in a hissed whisper.

“Is Ginny mad at Harry?” he asked with a pout.

Ginny grinned.

“You look cute when you pout,” she said.

“You’re cute when you’re angry,” Harry said.

Ginny slapped his arm.

“Although personally, I think you’re cute all the time,” he said, putting his arms around her from behind and resting his chin on her shoulder. “And you know what else?”

“What?”

̶ 0;I do think that you’re smarter than everyone else, and better at Quidditch than everyone else.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, but mostly I think you’re more beautiful than everyone else.”

He kissed he neck.

“Oh, that’s nice,” said Ginny.

“Ah huh?” said Harry.

“Yeah,” whispered Ginny.

She turned around to face him. His lips gently brushed hers and his fingers found the ring on her left hand.

“I’m surprised you’re wearing it," said Harry.

“I always wear it,” said Ginny. “I just put it on my right hand when I have practical lesson, just in case someone notices. Believe me, I’m not taking this off.”

She kissed him full on the lips.

“I love you," Harry whispered.

“I love you, too,” said Ginny, before kissing again.


*+*+*+*



In no time at all, it was Saturday, which meant no lessons. Chrissie and a few of her friends approached Ginny to ask if she would sing for them. It was a fairly warm day, for the time of year, so they went outside and sat on the ground by Ginny’s swing. Ginny was just strumming the last few chords of her song when Harry approached from the direction of Hagrid’s hut.

“Enjoying the sunshine, ladies?” he asked, jovially.

“Yes, professor,” said Chrissie. “Ginny is singing for us. Do you want to listen?”

“If it’s alright with Ginny,” said Harry. “I’d quite like an excuse to postpone marking the sixth years’ essays.”

“It’s not a problem, professor,” said Ginny with a smile.

“Ginny,” said Chrissie. “Why don’t you play us the song that you played the day the seventh years came back last year?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said Ginny.

“Yeah,” said one of Chrissie’s friends. “Play that song.”

Ginny glanced at Harry out of the corner of her eye.

“Ok,” she said. “If you insist.”

She began plucking the notes of a song she had not played or heard in many months.

“Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on,
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven.

Would you hold my hand if I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand if I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day,
'Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven.

Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees.
Time can break your heart, have you begging please, begging please.
Beyond the door there's peace I'm sure,
And I know there'll be no more tears in heaven.

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on,
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven.”
Ginny played the last few notes quietly. She looked at Harry whose eyes were glistening.

“That’s beautiful,” he said. “You have an amazing voice.”

“Thank you, professor,” Ginny said.

Harry made to stand up.

“Before you go, sir, there’s another song I’d like to sing,” she said. “I found it when I was at my Aunt Marion’s a few weeks ago.”

Harry looked at her strangely, then relaxed again.

“Ok,” he said.

Ginny smiled and began to play again.

“Making my way downtown
Walking fast
Faces passed
And I'm home bound

Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
Making my way
Through the crowd

And I need you
And I miss you
And now I wonder....

If I could fall
Into the sky
Do you think time
Would pass me by
'Cause you know I'd walk
Two thousand miles
If I could
Just see you
Tonight

It's always times like these
When I think of you
And I wonder
If you ever
Think of me

'Cause everything's so wrong
And I don't belong
Living in your
Precious memories

'Cause I need you
And I miss you
And now I wonder....

If I could fall
Into the sky
Do you think time
Would pass me by
'Cause you know I'd walk
Two thousand miles
If I could
Just see you
Tonight

And I, I
Don't want to let you know
I, I
Drown in your memory
I, I
Don't want to let this go
I, I
Don't....

Making my way downtown
Walking fast
Faces passed
And I'm home bound

Staring blankly ahead
Just making my way
Making my way
Through the crowd

And I still need you
And I still miss you
And now I wonder....

If I could fall
Into the sky
Do you think time
Would pass us by
'Cause you know I'd walk
Two thousand miles
If I could
Just see you...

If I could fall
Into the sky
Do you think time
Would pass me by
'Cause you know I'd walk
Two thousand miles
If I could
Just see you
If I could
Just hold you
Tonight.”

“That’s an amazing song, Ginny,” said Chrissie.

“I liked it,” Ginny replied. “That’s why I thought I’d sing it for you.”

Ginny suddenly began to feel droplets of water on her head.

“Oh!” she said in surprise. “It’s raining. We’d better get inside. Come on.”

She stood up and the younger girls followed suit. They set off at run lest they get too wet, but Harry grabbed Ginny’s elbow before she could leave.

“So this is your swing then?” he said.

“Yeah,” said Ginny. “I’d come out here in the rain, to think about you, and if I’d ever see you again. I liked the rain. It meant that nobody would know that I was crying. They figured me out though in the end.”

She smiled.

“It must have been hard for you,” said Harry. “There’s no way I would have had the guts to sing a song like that first one if I had just lost you.”

“I just felt detached, like it all wasn’t real,” said Ginny. “And besides, I still had the words of Dumbledore’s poem resounding in my head.”

“What poem was that?”

“I can’t really remember to be honest with you,” said Ginny. “At the time I read it, I was a wreck. I can remember the last lines though. I am not there, I did not die. It was Dumbledore’s message to me.”

“Sometimes I can’t believe how strong you really are.”

“Neither can I.”

Harry pulled her close and kissed the top of her head.

“I won’t ever leave you again, Ginny," he said. “I will always be here.”

“You’d better be,” said Ginny. “There’s no way I’m going through that again.”

She looked up at him.

“You know," Harry said. “I never thought it would be possible to be this much in love. I’ve never loved anyone as much as I love you.”

“I know you do, Harry,” said Ginny. “I’ve known that for a long time now. And you know that I love you just as much.”

She touched his cheek.

“All I want is to marry you and raise a family with you and grow old with you,” Ginny said. “And if that happens, then I know that my life will be perfect. It doesn’t matter what has gone past, what matters is the future, our lives together.”

“Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve you,” Harry said with a smile.

“You were yourself,” said Ginny, before their lips met.

It was a long time until they broke apart and both were thoroughly soaked. They set down on the ground and Ginny nestled in Harry’s arms as they spoke about school and all their memories of the past seven years.

“Hey, hey, hey,” came the voice of Hagrid behind them, after they had been alone for at least an hour. “This isn’t what I call bein’ discreet.”

They turned to Hagrid and laughed.

“Who cares?” said Harry. “We’ve only been here for three weeks and I’m already sick of sneaking around.”

“Well, I’ll pretend that I didn’t see nothin’,” said Hagrid. “But that’s only because I like you both so much.”

“Thanks Hagrid,” said Ginny with a grin.

“You just make sure I get an invite to yer weddin’,” he said.

Ginny laughed.

“We wouldn’t dream of not asking you,” she said.

“It wouldn’t be right without you,” said Hagrid.

They both stood up and gave Hagrid a large two-way hug.

“I ‘ear that Ron an’ ‘Ermione are getting’ married int summer,” said Hagrid.

“Yeah," said Ginny. “I can’t wait. It’s so exciting.”

“An’ you two ‘ave managed to end up as Best Man and Chief Bridesmaid,” said Hagrid.

“Yup,” said Harry. “And we’ll have our work cut out too. Hermione’s put us in charge of making sure that none of her muggle relatives notice any magic.”

“Don’t worry,” said Ginny. “I’ve got Fred and George covered. After all they are the biggest threat.”

“Well, Ginny,” said Hagrid. “If you can run ‘Ogwarts, then you can do anythin’. I’ll see yer both later.”

“Bye, Hagrid," said Harry.


*+*+*+*



R 20;So you’ve sent off all your letters?” Harry’s head asked Charlie Weasley.

“Yeah,” said Charlie. “And I’ve had replies from most too. They’re all willing to come to a press conference at Hogwarts.”

“Excellent,̶ 1; said Harry. “Most of mine have replied too. Are you ready for next week?”

“Ready for the press,” said Charlie. “Just not looking forward to one of Ginny’s Bat bogey hexes.”

“Neither am I," said Harry. "Anyway, meet me at the main entrance at nine o’clock on Thursday morning. I’ll explain to Ginny that we’re having a meeting to discuss a story to give to the press, I just won’t mention which story.”

“She’ll kill you," said Charlie.

“Nah," said Harry. “She loves me too much.”

Charlie chuckled then added.

“Ok, Harry. That’s my baby sister you’re talking about so I don’t need to hear that.”

Harry laughed.

“Sorry,” he said. “So, I’ll see you next week then.”

“See you next week, mate," said Charlie.

Harry’s head disappeared with a pop.
















A/N Aren’t you proud? It wasn’t Christmas after all. Ok, so the songs were Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, and A Thousand Miles (slightly modified) by Vanessa Carlton. I’d like to thank Kandie for telling me about that particular song, it really does fit the story well. Thank you to all my reviewers, you’re comments are appreciated. I’ve got about 3 or 4 chapters left now. No more or less than that. Wow. I can’t believe it’s nearly finished. Anyway, review and tell me what you think.










Reviews 453
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear