Search:

SIYE Time:2:15 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Gambit
By Mirloc

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fluff, Drama
Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence, Extreme Language
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 79
Summary: Harry makes a massive gamble to draw out a Dark Lord in hiding.
Hitcount: Story Total: 39016; Chapter Total: 3405







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


A few quick notes: bold text refers to the present-time Ginny and Dumbledore, Normal text refers to the past Harry and Dumbledore. Now, on with the story....

Ginny felt a sinking feeling in her stomach as they entered into the very same room they had just left, except now a very young looking Harry Potter stood glaring at the paintings as Dumbledore entered the room via the fireplace amidst many of the paintings welcoming him back.

“Thank you,” said Dumbledore softly. He did not look at Harry at first, but walked over to the perch beside the door and withdrew, from an inside pocket of his robes, the tiny, ugly, featherless Fawkes, whom he placed gently on the tray of soft ashes beneath the golden post where the full-grown Fawkes usually stood.

“Well, Harry,” said Dumbledore, finally turning away from the baby bird, “you will be pleased to hear that none of your fellow students are going to suffer lasting damage from the night's events.”

Harry tried to speak, but seemed to be having a heard time saying whatever was on his mind, and kept looking away from Dumbledore’s face.

Ginny watched alongside Dumbledore as the two ghost figures interacted.

“I know how you're feeling, Harry,” said Dumbledore very quietly.

"No, you don't,” said Harry, and his voice was suddenly loud and strong; laced with hatred and anger.

“There is no shame in what you are feeling, Harry,” said Dumbledore. “On the contrary… the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.”

Harry continued to stare out of the window, his back to Dumbledore. Ginny saw his shoulders shaking slightly with the rage building in him. “My greatest strength, is it? You haven't got a clue… you don't know…”

“What don't I know?” asked Dumbledore calmly.

Harry turned around, shaking with rage. “I don't want to talk about how I feel, all right?”

“Harry, suffering like this proves you are still a man! This pain is part of being human…”

“THEN - I - DON'T - WANT - TO - BE - HUMAN!” Harry roared, and he seized the delicate silver instrument from the spindle legged table beside him and flung it across the room; it shattered into a hundred tiny pieces against the wall. Several of the pictures let out yells of anger and fright, one said “Really!” Ginny’s mouth dropped open, that Harry would be so openly hostile to Dumbledore… she thought she had seen the worst side of him in Grimmauld Place, and the summer following Sirius’s death, but this — this was far worse than she’d ever seen, and he was getting even more violent by the minute. “I DON'T CARE!” Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. “I'VE HAD ENOUGH, I'VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON'T CARE ANY MORE” He seized the table on which the silver instrument had stood and threw that, too. It broke apart on the floor and the legs rolled in different directions.

“You do care,” said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.”

Harry’s tirade went on and on, Dumbledore’s hand rested on her shoulder as tears flowed from her eyes. She watched as he appeared to tense as if to spring and lash out at Dumbledore, then more items were thrown, and he turned on his heel and ran to the door, seized the doorknob again and wrenched at it.

But the door would not open. Harry turned back to Dumbledore. “Let me out,” he said. He was shaking from head to foot.

"No,” said Dumbledore simply. For a few seconds they stared at each other.

“Let me out,” Harry said again.

"No,” Dumbledore repeated.

The impasse was to stand, Dumbledore refused to let Harry out of the office, and the fury was growing stronger in him, his voice became calmer, adopting an almost silky quality that frightened Ginny terribly.

“You will,” said Dumbledore steadily. “Because you are not nearly as angry with me as you ought to be. If you are to attack me, as I know you are close to doing, I would like to have thoroughly earned it.”

Harry seemed to lose some of his hardline anger and he glared at Dumbledore and listened as the old man recounted the sins he had heaped up on Harry, withholding information Harry needed to make the right choices, for keeping Sirius penned up inside Grimmauld Place,

“It is time,” he said, “for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything. I ask only a little patience. You will have your chance to rage at me - to do whatever you like - when I have finished. I will not stop you.”

Harry glared at him for a moment, then flung himself back into the chair opposite Dumbledore and waited.

Dumbledore got to his feet and walked past Harry to the black cabinet that stood beside Fawkes's perch. He bent down, slid back a catch and took from inside it the shallow stone basin, carved with runes around the edges, the very same bowl that Ginny had seen on entering Dumbledore’s office. Dumbledore walked back to the desk, placed the Pensieve upon it, and raised his wand to his own temple. From it, he withdrew silvery, gossamer-fine strands of thought clinging to the wand and deposited them into the basin. He sat back down behind his desk and watched his thoughts swirl and drift inside the Pensieve for a moment. Then, with a sigh, he raised his wand and prodded the silvery substance with its tip.

A figure rose out of it, draped in shawls, her eyes magnified to enormous size behind her glasses, and she revolved slowly; her feet in the basin. But when Sybill Trelawney spoke, it was not in her usual ethereal, mystic voice, but in the harsh, hoarse tones Ginny had never heard her use before: “The one with the power to vanquish the- Dark Lord approaches… born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies … and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not … and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives … the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies …”

The slowly revolving Professor Trelawney sank back into the silver mass below and vanished. The silence within the office was absolute. Neither Dumbledore nor Harry nor any of the portraits made a sound. Even Fawkes had fallen silent.

Dumbledore turned to Ginny and said, “It’s time we left now.”

“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry said very quietly.

Ginny and Dumbledore left just as Harry was about to ask another question, moments later she found herself sitting opposite Dumbledore’s desk looking about for Harry.

Dumbledore's Office - Present Day

“Now, I have shown you what Harry asked to be shown. Is there anything you would like to tell me?” His blue eyes pierced into hers as if trying to fathom her soul.

“N — no, not really.” She murmured. “If it’s ok, I think I’d like to go now.” She stood and walked to the door, her hand rested on the latch, the door wouldn’t open.

“Where is he?” Dumbledore asked.

“He — you were there.” She turned to him. “We buried him.”

“There is little that goes on in this castle I don’t know about Ms. Weasley. Very, very little.” In his hands was a ragged piece of parchment. “I know you saw Harry Potter last night.”

“I — it could have been Polyjuice…”

“No, this wonderful map sees through that, and invisibility cloaks as well as the invisibility charm. I know as a fact Harry Potter has been in this castle for the bulk of the last six months. But he’s gone now, and you were the last one he saw, and I dare say, you know where he is.”

She looked him square in the face, and said simply “No, I don’t.”

Dumbledore watched her for a few minutes and finally waved his wand the door opened. “I would speak to you both, at your earliest convenience.”

Ginny shaken exited the office and made her way back to her suite in Gryffindor Tower. She was shaken utterly. Dobby appeared at her side as she entered the room. “Is you be needing food Ms. Wheasey?”

“No Dobby, I think I just need a few minutes to…” she stopped herself and turned back to Dobby. “Yes actually Dobby, I could use a light lunch, I’d rather not face people right now.”

The elf bowed low and said “It being Dobby’s pleasure Miss.” He vanished, and returned just minutes later with fresh fruit, and juice. He turned to leave.

“Dobby wait.”

The elf turned back to Ginny. “Yes Ms Wheasey? Is the food not your liking?” He had an almost fearful look in his eye.

“Oh! No Dobby, the food is perfect. I have a favor to ask.” She held a small note. “Get this to Harry, I don’t care how but make sure he gets it before he returns.” Dobby nodded. “Oh, and Dobby?”

“Yes?”

“No one but Harry must get that note.”

“I is understanding Ms.” Dobby bowed again, and was surprised to see her kneeling to look him in the eye.

“No one Dobby, not even Dumbledore.”

Dobby looked fearful again. “But if Dumbledore asks Dobby must…”

“No, Dobby. You are not Dumbledore’s elf anymore. He released you. You are pledged to Harry now. He is your master, not Dumbledore. You are only helping out around here so you can watch over me.”

Dobby’s face held confusion, and finally he nodded. “You is right Ms. I am Harry Potter’s elf.” He vanished with a pop.

Ginny ate the food Dobby left for her, and laid down on the bed staring at the ceiling. She dozed off, and was awoken by a buzzing sound, she then felt the mirror vibrating. She lifted it up to her face and Harry swam into view.

“Are you alone?” He whispered.

She looked around and with a frustrated look “I think so, did Dobby find you?”

Harry smiled, “Yeah scared me silly when he showed up though. So Dumbledore is using the map huh? Well bully for him. I know something he doesn’t know, and frankly he can stuff himself.” Harry looked a bit put off, and suddenly a shocked look crossed his face. “Oh! Oh, Ginny! I’m not upset with you!”

She smiled weakly at him, and he began to explain “It’s just that after the whole Ministry…”

“I saw it all Harry. There’s no need to explain.”

She saw regret in his face. “I should have been more specific. How much did he show you?”

She thought back and replayed the scene. “I watched Dumbledore enter through the floo, and then you broke some things, and then the prophecy, and then we left.”

Harry looked at her intently. “How long after the prophecy did you stay?”

“Right after, you were just asking Dumbledore a question, and then we left.”

Harry seemed deep in concentration for a few minutes. “Ok, ok, good.” He muttered barely loud enough for her to hear. Suddenly his eyes focused on her again and the warmth returned. “It’ll be ok love. I’ll be back soon and we’ll go see Albus together.”

She smiled a true smile he looked around and frowned. “Never a dull moment here. I have to go, I hope to see you very soon.” He faded from view again.

NOTE: Yes, I did use quotes from the Prophecy section of Order of the Phoenix. Some parts were left out, some were left in, some were modified, but the main text was used to hold the storyline here complete without needing to reference the book. Credit for those lines are all J.K.’s and certainly not mine. Please don’t confuse her writing and mine; if you find it in the book, it’s hers. If you find bits of it in the book, it’s a hybrid, and if you don’t find it in the book, it’s mine, or you aren’t looking hard enough.
Reviews 79
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear