Search:

SIYE Time:5:57 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Flying Over the Moon
By biggerstaffbunch

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: Accidents lead to misunderstandings lead to revelations. ll Fluff ll
Hitcount: Story Total: 4272







ChapterPrinter


*~*~*
Ginny sighed to herself, her lower lip trembling dangerously. Blowing her hair out of her face and muttering dangerously under her breath, she stooped to the ground and picked up her broom slowly.

Her Cleansweep 7, her very own broom, one she'd bought with hard-earned money, was broken.

Ginny brought the splintered stick to her chest, hugging the long, battered thing carefully, gently twiddling with the frayed ends of the ends between her fingers.

"Oh, this is just terrible," she whispered softly, her brown eyes brimming with tears.

But she supposed it had been her own fault. It was night, and the moon lit up the blue-black sky, lighting the Quidditch pitch sufficiently enough for Ginny to get a little flying in. She had precious little time otherwise, what with the war and Quidditch trials going on. Everyone seemed to be using the pitch, and Ginny favored flying alone. Under the star-smattered velvet sky, surrounded by night noises and smells.

But of course, the one day all this blasted year she did get to spend a bit of time with her broom, she went and clumsily wrecked it. It had been awful. One second Ginny was zooming around, closing her eyes and enjoying the rush of wind fly past her face; the next, she was lost in a tangle of branches and bone-jarring bumps and crashes. When Ginny finally opened up her eyes, she was staring up at the starry night sky, and into the eyes of a very curious bird.

Ginny had caught a bad wind, been distracted, and flown into a tree. A very large tree. One that seemed to pulverize her beloved broom to smithereens before her very eyes.

Getting up, she had groaned. Feeling her limbs and head to make sure nothing was wrong, Ginny had trooped to look for the remnants of the Cleansweep. It had been expensive for her, very tight on her pockets. Finding the long sliver of wood and feeling a tear crawl down her cheek, Ginny had berated herself. And all that money has been wasted, she had scolded, because you were too bloody idiotic to see that ruddy tree.

And now she sat alone on the Quidditch pitch, her eyes red and swollen, her hair tangled in the wind. She was facing away from the Castle, away from the happy, cheery mass of children inside, so she didn't see the boy- well,man, really- who trudged up the grassy hill to where she stood.

"Ginny?" His quiet voice was hesitant, deep. He wasn't sure if he was welcome, if he really belonged here around a girl so foriegn to him, so obviously distraught. After all, he hadn't really ever talked to Ginny much. After seeing what had happened to her broom, though, he thought he may come up. He understood what it was to lose something that was important. Besides, in these times, everyone needed a friend.

"Go away." The voice was muffled, and Ginny buried her head in her arms. Oh, wonderful. Right after she smashed her broom into a tree because of her stupidity, Harry Potter had to come along and make it worse. He was going to make her feel all warm and her stomach would heat into molten lava. Oh, she didn't need this now.

"Ginny," Harry said again, coming closer and stooping down. "Are you alright?" He sat down directly behind her and brought his knees to his chest, awkwardly wondering what to say. "I-I, erm, saw what happened with the broom and the tree. And I thought I'd come down-"

"To make fun of me?" The question was abrupt and Ginny swiveled to face Harry, her blazing eyes meeting his bewildered gaze. "Is that it? Just because I'm not that great of a flier and my broom wasn't really expensive?" She knew it wasn't fair to lash out at Harry, but the thought that Ron had sent him to check up on her and that he really didn't care crossed her mind.

"No!" Harry's green eyes widened behind the glasses. "Ginny, believe me, I know what it's like to fly a broom into a tree. I still miss my Nimbus," he added with a shy grin. "No, I came down, because, uh, well-" all of a sudden he looked sheepish, and Ginny wiped her eyes, leaning forward in reluctant interest-" I fly alone sometimes at night." He looked down. "I don't really get a chance to fly solo, so I thought-if I snuck out." Harry snickered. "But I wasn't the only one, was I?"

Ginny gave a small smile, and then burst out laughing. "No, I suppose not. But you fare a lot better than I do, Potter." She bit her lip and clutched her broom tighter.

"Can you fix it?" Harry's eyes were sad and his voice genuinely concerned. He reached out and fiddled idly with the broom, his knuckled brushing Ginny's. Her eyes widened at the blush spreading across his cheeks.

"No," she whispered breathlessly. "But that's okay. I'll just-I'll just earn money for another. The Three Broomsticks needs a waitress this summer, and I'm old enough now, so-"

"Sometimes," Harry said softly, his eyes on the sky, 'I wish I could fly over the moon." Ginny looked shrewdly at him and stopped talking. Harry’s hand still played idly with hers, his fingers wrapped around hers.

"Oh?" Her voice was strained.

"Yeah. Maybe there, there's no war,and no trees to ruin broomsticks, and no Snape. No nothing bad, and everything would be grand. Bright skies, nice winds, working brooms that flew perfectly-"

"Perfect Quidditch conditions, you mean?" Ginny's eyes danced and she patted Harry's shoulder.

"Yeah." Harry looked into her eyes for a moment. "You know how it feels, don't you?" he whispered. "To feel like flying is the only thing that'll take you away from here? Sometimes I wonder…I wish I could say something…but you. You understand."

Ginny caught her breath. "Yes," she said, closing her eyes. Harry nodded and took her other hand, holding her close to his chest. And that was all.

Suddenly, Ginny couldn't be more glad that her broom had broken.

Finis
Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear