Search:

SIYE Time:15:49 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Shadow of the Serpent
By KEDme

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 537
Summary: **June Dumbledore Silver Trinket Award Winner for Best Angst, and May winner for Best Author**

Harry is whisked away to an ancient island to be trained in Occlumency. What he finds is another complication to add to his already complicated life. Will friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, and honor be enough to save him from the Shadow of the Serpent that haunts his life? H/G angst/action adventure.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152145; Chapter Total: 5448
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


[AN] To my loyal readers: Thank you for being patient with me during this substantial lull in updates. For those of you who hadn’t heard, my husband was transferred to Camp Zama, Japan from Fort Bragg, NC and we have been in the process of moving overseas for the last few months. This was very unexpected and quick but we adapted and now, three months later… here we are. My family and I are finally settled into our new home and have gotten over jet lag and culture shock. We have our household goods, a house, and the kids are both back in school. Driving is a bit scary, but thankfully I don’t have to do that often. We’re even learning a bit of the language so that we can communicate off-post. Frankly, we are loving Japan and beginning to get back into a routine even though things are very different here. Living on a military post helps bring all the comforts of home, but outside the gate is a totally different world. All in all, we are adjusting well. I am still committed to finishing this project and the rewrite of Home Alone, for those of you who are reading that one. Thank you again for hanging in there with me.


Disclaimer: This story is written for fun, not profit. My only rewards are the wonderful reviews I receive and the encouragement of others to continue, as well as the practice I get that might one day help me to publish something of my very own. The concept for this story is mine but everything else belongs to JK Rowling, and I thank her for letting me play in her universe.

Chapter Thirteen

“It’s Not Over Yet…”




Harry fought to stay conscious but it was a losing battle. The Lethifold seemed to be sucking all the air out of his lungs and he felt light-headed, almost giddy. Some part of him knew this was it for him, and he almost welcomed death. It would bring an end to all this. If this was dying, it wasn’t so bad really… If only Ginny were here in this nothingness with him…


“No!” he tried to scream, finding it in him to fight at last. If he died then Ginny would take his place. He couldn’t allow that to happen.


With all his might, Harry fought back but it was useless. The thing was on top of him; like a magnet, it was pulling him towards its hideous mouth under the horrible black, tattered robe. He felt himself being levitated almost tenderly towards the horrible mouth where the hideous stench was the worst, and he knew he didn’t have the energy or even the desire to fight anymore.


‘I’m sorry, Ginny,’ his mind screamed out because he knew he had failed her once again. For one last blissful moment he felt her mind meld with his and he drank her in like oxygen to his dying brain.


‘Bam!’ His head hit the cobblestones again as the Lethifold dropped him abruptly. Suddenly, by some miracle, he could breathe. He gasped painful gulps of the night air and coughed as it came rushing back into his lungs, clearing away the remnants of the blackness. Opening his eyes and straightening his glasses tiredly, he was soon able to focus on a concerned face swimming about above him.


“W-what happened?” he managed to choke out.


“You were almost invited to dinner as the main course, kid,” Stephen said dryly. Harry could see that his face was ashen and his hand was slightly trembling as it gripped his shoulder tightly. “Luckily, I saw it go for you and was able to send out my Patronus in time. I wasn’t sure it was going to make it in time.”


“Thanks,” Harry told him sincerely as he climbing shakily to his feet. “I owe you one.”


Stephen grinned. “I’m sure I’ll be collecting one of these days,” he said mildly. “There were Lethifolds everywhere but Prongs and Jezebel were able to hold them here for a bit. Hopefully it gave Tlaloc and his men enough time to get into position along the street. If they were able to keep them contained, we may have a chance to destroy these creatures once and for all. Are you sure you’re alright?”


“I’m okay,” Harry assured him, rubbing his throbbing skull. “Just a small bump on the back of the head.” He raised his face to the sky, now black as ink. There were no stars visible. It was like a giant black glove was pressing down on the island, trying to squeeze out every bit of happiness and light in the place.


Harry felt a shiver of fear rise up his spine and settle at the nape of his neck, and he knew without a doubt that whatever this was it was just beginning. The Dark Forces of the universe had found him somehow, and they were preparing a battle against him that he wasn’t sure he was strong enough to repel. Whatever this was, it was stronger than anything he had ever faced, including Voldemort. It was the thing, the entity, that gave Voldemort his power, and it was pressing down on them like a heavy weight.


“We need to get to the market square. That’s where Tlaloc will have the hardest time containing them. Do you need side-along Apparition? That was a nasty blow to the head,” Stephen said, his wand already in position to Disapparate.


“No, I’m fine,” Harry said stubbornly, drawing his own wand. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll meet you there.”


But as Stephen disappeared, Harry couldn’t help pausing. Looking up once again into the blackness, wind whipping his face violently and picking up speed, he closed his eyes and concentrated on the one thing in his life that he trusted... the person who kept him grounded and gave him hope.


As always, he found her through their connection. She was laughing — probably at something the twins had concocted — but he felt her pause and acknowledge his probe with concern, her emotions raw and anxious. He could only imagine what she must be feeling, trying to act normal but at the same time getting flashes of what he was feeling — how close he had come to death — and knowing she could do nothing to help him. It must be torture, he decided.


Then and there he made a promise to himself. As soon as he got back, he’d find a way to undo this bond. As much as it would hurt him to do it, he couldn’t continue to put Ginny’s life at risk any further and he certainly didn’t want to cause her any more pain. It had to end, whether he liked it or not.


Resolved, he used his Occlumency to block her out, took a deep calming breath, and Disapparated.


***


Stephen had his hands full when Harry finally appeared beside him. He was trying single-handedly to control his jaguar Patronus, Jezebel, who was chasing down two Lethifolds trying to make an escape. At the same time he was barking orders to people along the crowded street. Many of the town’s villagers had congregated on the outskirts of the square trying to see what was going on; Harry knew without being told that their presence was inciting the Lethifolds. The warriors were having a difficult time controlling the group of Lethifolds because they smelled the fear all around them and they were doubly excited by the scent of it in the air. In some ways, Harry supposed, it was working to their advantage, distracting the dark creatures enough to allow Tlaloc’s warriors to get in place.


“Harry!” Stephen yelled above the noise. “Watch those three on the left!”


“I’m on it!” Harry yelled back, raising his wand sharply and calling forth Prongs to deal with them. He watched in satisfaction as the great silver stag galloped smoothly over the cobblestones and attacked the fleeing creatures with his sharp antlers, effectively driving them in the opposite direction towards the ocean.


“We have to block access to that street up there!” Stephen said, struggling to be heard over the wind and the panicked cries of the crowd, as well as the shouting of the twenty or so warriors trying to protect the people and fight off the Lethifolds with their weak spells. Their efforts were working somewhat, but at best their spells could be described as bothersome, like gnats at a picnic — annoying but harmless. Still, the warriors were fighting bravely and somehow Tlaloc’s men had managed to keep them contained and on the path to the ocean. Harry had to admire their tenacity and determination to protect their people.


Without planning it, Harry’s reflexes kicked in and, with a flick of his wand, he conjured up a wall of iron as tall as the surrounding buildings to block the path of the fleeing dark creatures. He wasn’t even aware he knew the incantation for that particular spell, but he didn’t have time to think about it because Prongs had corralled the last of the Lethifolds and was driving the group like a herd of frightened sheep towards their only escape route, the street that led directly to the ocean.


“Keep them together, Harry!” Stephen called out from up ahead and to his right where he had ended up after chasing off a group of creatures trying to attack one of the warriors. “I’m going on ahead to make sure there aren’t any escape points!”


Harry didn’t bother to respond. He took off after the fleeing dark mass of death at breakneck speed; at the same time Stephen Disapparated. Ignoring his protesting muscles already weary from a day’s trek in the jungle and his long-forgotten match against Tlaloc, Harry trudged on wearily by foot trying to keep up with the fleeing demons. Prongs was doing a fabulous job of herding the creatures and, surprisingly, was not fading a bit. Stephen’s Patronus had dissipated into mist shortly before he Disapparated, but Prongs was still shining like a silver sun and only seemed to be growing brighter. Harry couldn’t explain it, but he felt the power inside him growing too. It was building steadily along with the darkness and wind roaring wildly around him.


As he neared the ocean he could hear the waves whipping against the shore with loud cracks. The noise was deafening. He could tell the Lethifolds could hear it now too because they suddenly became even more agitated and began to swirl around each other in a kind of sinister dance, reminding Harry of the Dementors back in his third year when they swooped in to perform the Kiss on Hermione, Sirius, and himself. They let out howls and shrieks of fear and anger that could be heard above the crashing waves and whistling wind. The sounds around him blended together into a sort of eerie ensemble that sent shivers down Harry’s spine.


Up ahead he could just make out the opening and the ocean beyond. Somehow they had kept them contained, but now it was up to him to make sure none of them escaped. It was time the Dark was struck a blow, and it was his job to see that it was done. Harry had never felt such a sense of certainty in his whole life. The only thing that even came close was when he was with Ginny, but this was different. It was his duty… his destiny calling. Whistling for Prongs, he watched with bated breath as the stag pranced obediently over to him and dropped his head in a sort of bow. Harry patted his solid form, running a hand down his silver back. Dare he try it?


Prongs raised his massive head and looked him straight in the eye with his dark silver orbs and stared. A form of silent communication passed between them and before Harry knew it the massive animal was kneeling, ready to accept his master.


Thrilling at the prospect of riding his own Patronus, Harry readily accepted the invitation and grabbed hold of whatever he could find in order to hoist himself up. Once seated on its back, the stag righted himself and before Harry was fully prepared Prongs took off excitedly, galloping at breakneck speed towards the screeching mass of darkness fighting to find an escape.


Harry was so focused on not falling flat on his face that he barely noticed the startled people he passed or the shocked expression on Stephen’s face at seeing him riding Prongs. None of it mattered. All he needed was to finish the task and rid the world of one more evil. He might not be able to do anything about Voldemort right now but this… this was something he could accomplish.


Finding the rhythm of the galloping animal, Harry pressed in with his knees to balance himself. This allowed him some freedom of movement, giving his hands the ability to cast spells without being tied to the stag’s neck. Drawing his wand, he conjured up a sort of glowing cage that encompassed the creatures and him but kept everyone else out. The Lethifolds spun and swirled around him in anger and fear.


For a moment Harry regretted this plan because it left him very vulnerable. He was in the centre of a cage of his own making with more than twenty dark creatures surrounding him, intent on eating him. The sky was rumbling now and looked ready to open with a torrent of rain at any moment.


Prongs pranced nervously as several Lethifolds rushed forward, screeching angrily as they were repelled by the glow of the Patronus. Harry hadn’t taken notice of it, but the moment he had scrambled on Prong’s back he had been encased in a sort of bubble that shielded him from attack. The problem was that the power it was taking to maintain the spell was draining his tired body and with every attack he felt himself grow weaker and weaker. If he didn’t get them in the water soon, it would only take a few more attempts to break through the shield and he would be defenceless.


Outside he could hear the shouts of the people, especially Stephen. They were yelling at him to get out of there, but Harry refused to listen. This was his mission now and the longer he could contain them, the greater chance he had of disposing of them once and for all before someone else died. Kicking Prongs sharply with his heels, he spurred the stag onward, forcing the Lethifolds along with them, still screaming angrily.


Only a few more meters of go…


Suddenly the largest of the creatures attacked, and then several more. Fiercely Harry fought them off but with each wave he felt the protection around him slipping until finally with a small ‘pop’ it was gone and he was defenceless. The next attack would be his undoing. With every once of energy he had left in him, Harry reached out with an invisible hand and pushed the creatures screaming and writhing far out into the ocean where they were consumed by the crashing waves, now at least ten feet high or higher.


Harry lay panting on the beach alone; Prongs, having dissipated moments before, was nowhere to be seen now as he lay on the cold sand watching the creatures drown. His eyes swam with exhaustion and his body hurt from every pore, but he was alive. He could still hear the echo of the screams from the doomed Lethifolds when Stephen and the others caught up to him.


“Harry!” Stephen panted, dropping down to one knee beside him. “Are you alright?”


Harry’s teeth were chattering uncontrollably but he managed a weak nod.


“We need to get him back to my house,” Stephen told someone. Harry managed to focus enough to see Tlaloc, with Masaya standing behind, leaning over him, concern shining on their faces. “He’s going into shock,” Stephen said as he conjured a thick woollen blanket out of thin air to wrap around Harry’s shaking shoulders.


The wind was fierce now, and the blackness suffocating. Harry was aware that he wanted to warn Stephen about something but his fuzzy brain couldn’t quite focus on what, exactly, he needed to tell his teacher. It was something vitally important, but his mouth wouldn’t… couldn’t form the words. His head lulled to the side from the effort of keeping it upright and his eyes began to swim with blackness.


Blackness.


He had to warn them about the blackness…


No… the Dark.


Yes, that was it — the Dark Forces. They were coming for him. He could feel it now pressing down on the island. They were angry that their minions had been destroyed and they were out for revenge.


Harry grabbed hold of Stephen’s tunic and pulled him closer. “It’s coming,” he managed painfully. “Go… Temple. Now!”


“What’s coming?” Stephen asked, panicked.


With everything he had, Harry managed one last word before he passed out. “Dark,” he croaked, and then his world dissolved into nothingness.


Stephen looked up at Tlaloc. “What do you think he meant?”


But Tlaloc’s eyes had already been drawn to the sea and to the exact spot where the Imacaci had disappeared. The water, previously rough, was now churning like a giant whirlpool. The wind suddenly had become a gale force, practically knocking them off their feet, and all around them the rain began to fall abruptly in torrents.


“Get the people to the temple!” Stephen shouted, shielding his mouth, nose, and eyes from the rain, wind, and sand. “I’ll take care of him and meet you there!”


“I’ll help!” Masaya offered, moving over to kneel next to Harry.


“Get hold of his shoulder there,” Stephen ordered as he picked up the thin, soaked youth in his strong arms. “We need to Apparate to the Temple just as quickly as we possibly can. Do you think you can do that?”


Masaya nodded bravely. “I can do it.”


Balancing Harry between them, Stephen counted to three and simultaneously the three of them disappeared; at the same time the warriors rushed to get the people to the shelter of the temple as quickly as they could.





Reviews 537
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear