Search:

SIYE Time:5:31 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Shadow of the Serpent
By KEDme

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 537
Summary: **June Dumbledore Silver Trinket Award Winner for Best Angst, and May winner for Best Author**

Harry is whisked away to an ancient island to be trained in Occlumency. What he finds is another complication to add to his already complicated life. Will friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, and honor be enough to save him from the Shadow of the Serpent that haunts his life? H/G angst/action adventure.
Hitcount: Story Total: 151603; Chapter Total: 5576
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer:
The characters and situations of Harry Potter depicted in this story are the legal property of J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, and AOL Time Warner, and have been used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.

No profit is being made off this story. It is for entertainment purposes only.

Chapter Twenty
“The Hearing”


The day of the hearing turned out to be a warm autumn day. Harry would have rather spent his free afternoon down by the lake with Ron and Hermione or off flying with Ginny, but instead he was forced into his best school robes inside a stuffy room at the Ministry of Magic waiting for his attorney to finish up the details of executing Sirius’ will. Stephen sat on one side of him looking just as uncomfortable in his new, stylish dress robes, and Remus sat on his other side looking rather more scruffy than usual. His robes held more patches than they had the last time Harry had seen him and he looked like he hadn’t slept in a week. Thinking back, Harry realised that it had only been three nights since the last full moon, which could have easily accounted Remus’ tired demeanour.


“How much longer is this supposed to take?” Harry asked for the third time. The sooner he got out of here the better. His mind had not stopped dwelling on the last time he had come here. From the moment they had stepped inside the phone booth, Harry had continued to replay the events of Sirius’ death over and over, trying to make himself believe that if it wasn’t for him, they wouldn’t need to be here at all.


“How many more times are you going to ask us that?” Stephen retorted grumpily.


Remus sighed. “I had expected them to be done before now. I hope there’s not a problem.”


Just then the door swung open and Mr. Seymour Howe scurried out of the room looking a bit frazzled. “I apologize for the delay, but there seems to be a problem,” he said breathlessly.


“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” Harry muttered under his breath.


Mr. Howe either didn’t hear him or chose to ignore the comment. “The will was made prior to certain changes in the laws…” he began hesitantly. “I’m certain that if Mr. Black had been aware of the implications of this glitch, he would have taken measures to correct the error. As it is… we seem to have a major problem on our hands.”


“What kind of problem, exactly?” Harry asked.


“Mr. Black left explicit instructions in his will that in the event that you, Mr. Potter, should be in his custody at the time of his death — everything should go to you,” Mr. Howe explained. “However, given that you are a minor, there is the issue of custody…” His eyes roamed to Remus, who nodded.


“And since Decree 137 for the Restriction of Dangerous Creatures states that no werewolf may retain custody of a minor child…” Remus surmised. “…I’m not eligible for guardianship any longer.”


“That is correct,” Mr. Howe stated.


The news made Harry’s blood boil. “That’s not fair!” he exclaimed. “Remus is a good person… better than most of the idiots who made that stupid law.”


“Whether I agree or not isn’t an issue, Mr. Potter,” the attorney stated flatly. “The fact is that a new guardian must be appointed before the matter of the inheritance can be settled.”


“How long will that take?” Stephen asked.


“Well, first a suitable substitute must be located and approved. If a relative of Mr. Black’s was willing to stand in for Sirius, it would make the process that much easier…”


Harry’s mind whirled. “What about Mr. Weasley?”


The attorney looked startled. “Arthur Weasley, from the Department for the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts?”


Harry nodded. “Yes, he was a distant cousin, according to Sirius. Nymphadora Tonks is also related.”


“Would either of them be willing to assume custody?” Mr. Howe asked hopefully.


Remus nodded. “I think it’s safe to say that the Weasleys already consider Harry a member of the family. I also have it on good authority that Miss Tonks is quite fond of young Harry, as well.”


The attorney pulled out a notepad and made some notes. “I’ll get right on this. Both of them work here in the building, and if I can find one of them and get them to agree, I think we can make some arrangements. Perhaps we can get this settled today after all.” He glanced at his watch. “Why don’t the three of you go get some lunch? Perhaps by the time you return I will have the necessary papers ready to sign, and we can wrap this matter up. I’m going to go track down Mr. Weasley.”


Harry watched Mr. Howe scuttle down the hall, barely catching the elevator as its doors prepared to slide closed.


“Now what?” Harry asked miserably.


“Let’s Floo to Diagon Alley for some lunch at the Leaky Cauldron,” Stephen suggested. “Maybe we can stop by Madame Mulkin’s and order you some new school robes while we’re out.”


Harry looked down at his robes. He hadn’t had the chance to purchase new ones yet and, even though these were the best he owned, they did look rather bad. Not Dudley’s-old-hand-me-downs bad — but bad never-the-less.


“Can we stop by Quality Quidditch Supplies while we’re out?” he asked hopefully.


Stephen grinned. “Absolutely.”


They moved towards the elevator, but Remus hung back. “Maybe I should just stay here,” he suggested.


Harry fixed him with a suspicious stare. “Why?”


“It’s just that people talk, Harry,” Remus explained. “I’m not the best person to be seen with these days…”


The anger returned at his words. Remus’ life was already difficult enough with the transformations. Why did the Ministry insist on making life miserable for people with lycanthropy? It wasn’t like they were dangerous beasts or anything — at least most of the time.


“You’re going,” he said flatly. “I don’t give a rat’s arse who sees us together. In fact, I hope they do. As far as I’m concerned, you are the one who Sirius picked to be my guardian and this shouldn’t even be an issue. If it wasn’t for certain people’s narrow-minded views, you would be in charge of me now.” He grinned suddenly. “Come to think of it, maybe you’re better off.”


“How do you figure that?” Remus asked, giving in and walking with them to the elevator.


“This way you don’t have to deal with the Dursleys.”


***



Two hours later the three returned to the Ministry to find Arthur Weasley waiting anxiously for their return.


“Harry,” he said warmly, shaking his hand. “It’s so nice to see you again. How was your summer?”


“Fine, thanks,” Harry replied with a smile. “Actually, I’ve never felt better.”


“Good, good,” Mr. Weasley said sounding slightly distracted. “And how are Ron and Ginny? Are they managing to stay ahead of their studies this term?”


“I think so, with Hermione’s help, of course. I’m sure Ginny informed you that she made the Quidditch team,” Harry said, beginning to notice Mr. Weasley’s odd attempt at small talk.


“Quite right she did,” Mr. Weasley replied, nervously looking around. “And congratulations on making Quidditch Captain. Molly and I are so proud-”


“Mr. Weasley, what’s going on?” Harry interrupted.


“Going on?” Arthur said, scratching his head. He pulled Harry aside as he was talking and pressed a note into his hand. “I don’t think… well, there is that business with the exploding salt shakers, but nothing for you to worry about, son. We’ll soon get it sorted.” He nodded for Harry to look down at his hand, which Harry did.


On the paper Mr. Weasley had handed him were the words BE CAREFUL, YOU’RE BEING WATCHED written in very neat, legible handwriting. Harry crumpled up the note carefully and slipped it in his pocket.


“Well, if you’re sure I can’t be of help…” he said, letting his voice trail off. Playing along with his casual conversation, Harry asked, “So, how is the joke shop going?”


“Fine, fine…” Mr. Weasley said. “Just yesterday Fred and George-”


“Why Mr. Potter!” a simpering voice said from behind. “It’s so good to see you again!”


Harry didn’t even have to turn around to know who the voice belonged to; he’d recognize Dolores Umbridge anywhere.


“What are you doing here?” he said, not bothering to hide his disgust.


“I had hoped I’d at least taught you some manners, Mr. Potter, but I see that was too much to hope for, in your case. I’m here as a Ministry representative,” she explained with a false smile. “Didn’t your attorney tell you?”


Mr. Howe appeared at Harry’s side just then, completely out of breath. “I… haven’t… had… time… to… confer… with… my… client… yet,” he puffed.


She gave him a hard glare. “You have five minutes, no more. If you aren’t in the courtroom at precisely one o’clock, we will be starting without you.” Turning on her heel, she waddled into the room where the hearing was set to take place.


Harry watched her go. “Why do I have the feeling I’m going to be tried in front of the entire Wizengamot again?” he asked Mr. Weasley dryly.


“We have a big problem,” Arthur said worriedly.


“Arthur, what’s going on?” Remus asked worriedly as he and Stephen approached the group.


“It’s Scrimgeour,” he answered, looking anxiously at the still huffing attorney. “I say, Howe… are you going to be alright?”


The out-of-shape solicitor waved his hand dismissively, encouraging them to continue.


“The new Minister of Magic?” Stephen asked, getting back to the matter at hand. “What’s he got to do with Harry’s case?”


“There’s no easy way to say this Harry…” Arthur said, giving him a sad, worried look. “The new Minister seems to think that you are the answer to his problems.”


“Me? What problems? I don’t understand.”


Arthur lowered his voice even more. “Scrimgeour has this mad idea that you are The Chosen One — the only hope of getting rid of You-Know-Who for good. He wants to try to take custody of you and use you as a sort of publicity tool… a weapon of sorts to dispute the claim that the Ministry is doing nothing about their current problems.”


“This is about Voldemort?” Harry asked loudly, earning him several equally loud shushes from the adults.


“Since you are without a legal guardian in the Wizarding World, they are going to try to make you a ward of the Ministry, Mr. Potter,” Mr. Howe said, having finally caught his breath. “I have just Flooed my associate, Ms. Dewey, and she is on her way. Ida has had much more experience with custody cases and knows the laws better than anyone. I’ve also sent an express owl to your aunt, who technically still retains custody of you in the Muggle world. As soon as she signs the papers agreeing to let Mr. Weasley act as your legal guardian on all affairs in the magical world, then the Ministry should have no grounds to retain you.”


“She’ll never sign anything on my behalf,” Harry said, now truly alarmed. “She hates me. What happens if she won’t sign? Can they keep me here against my will?”


“I’m sure it won’t come to that,” Howe said evasively.


“Has anyone contacted Albus Dumbledore yet?” Stephen asked the attorney.


“I sent an owl not more than ten minutes ago,” Howe told him.


“This was supposed to be a simple will reading,” Stephen raged, “not a custody hearing. Why is the Ministry doing this to Harry?”


“Nothing surprises me when it comes to them, Stephen,” Harry said grimly. “If Umbridge is overseeing my case, then I’m sunk.”


“Not so fast, Mr. Potter,” an unfamiliar feminine voice said as she rounded the corner. She strode down the hall with a purpose in her step, confidence radiating from her like a beacon. The woman stopped in front of Harry and raised her hand for him to shake, which he did. “Ida Dewey,” she said by way of introduction. “Don’t worry, Mr. Potter, I’m going to fix this mess.”


“Ida!” Mr. Howe said in relief. “I’m so happy you could make it on such short notice.”


“Mr. Potter is a very important client, is he not?” Ida said, raising an eyebrow shrewdly. “Where else would I be?”


Howe looked at his pocket watch. “Time’s up,” he announced. “We need to proceed into the court room.”


Harry noticed Remus whisper something in Mr. Howe’s ear. The solicitor nodded, and Remus hurried off in the other direction.


“Where’s he going,” Harry asked with a frown. “He’s not coming in with me?”


“He thought it best, considering Ms. Umbridge’s views on his kind…” Howe explained. “Besides, he may do us more good on the outside.”


“What’s that supposed to mean?” Harry asked as he took his seat around the large conference table. He was glad to find the room small and informal, a great improvement over the last time he’d been in court.


Harry never got an answer. “I now call this session to order,” a matronly old witch stated in a stern voice. “I am Judge Matilda Goodall of the 6th Circuit Court overseeing the case of Harry James Potter on the matter of custody. Are all parties present?”


“We are, Madame Goodall,” Ms. Dewey said in a respectful but professional voice. “I will be taking the lead on this portion of Mr. Potter’s case.”


“Very well, Ms. Dewey,” the judge said. “You may proceed.”


“As I am not up to speed on the particulars of this case yet — our side having been ambushed by certain members of the Ministry — I move to adjourn until such time as I can gather all the facts.”


The judge shook her head. “Motion denied. Nice try, Ms. Dewey, but the facts in this case are quite simple. With the death of Sirius Black, Mr. Potter is without a legal guardian. It has been unfortunate that this case was not caught sooner. With Mr. Black in custody all these years, it was not a well-known fact that he was in actuality Mr. Potter’s legal guardian. Albus Dumbledore illegally placed Mr. Potter with Mrs. Dursley after his parents were killed. Since that time said aunt, a Muggle, has raised him. As I understand it, she wants no contact with the Wizarding World.


“Since Mr. Potter was born into the magical community, it is most irregular that he be taken from it at such an early age… and there are no supporting papers to back up the decision of placing him in the custody of his aunt. In these types of cases, the parties in question decide on an appropriate person to bridge the gap between our world and theirs… to keep the child involved in both cultures so that when the letter comes inviting them to attend Hogwarts, the transition is not so harsh and unexpected. At the very least, someone is appointed to check in with the family periodically to insure that he or she is being taken care of properly. According to our records, Mr. Potter has been without a legal guardian in the magical community for fifteen years. I’m not sure how this major technicality escaped our knowledge, but we are here to resolve it.”


Dolores Umbridge chose this moment to interject. “It is the position of the Minister of Magic that Mr. Potter be made a ward of the Ministry. As a well-known public figure under an obvious threat, we feel that he would be safest at this time under our protection.”


“That’s a lie!” Harry exclaimed angrily. “You only want to use me as a publicity stunt to make it seem like you’re doing something to stop Voldemort!”


Harry exclamation caused immediate chaos. Amid the gasps and chatter, Umbridge’s venomous protests and the judge’s gavel, Harry sat stunned, the judge’s words still ringing in his ears. He had lived like dung under the Dursley’s shoes for all those years when he didn’t have to. Someone could have been checking in with him, making sure that the Dursleys at least treated him decently. He could have known about the magical world all that time…


“Mr. Potter,” Judge Goodall said sternly when she finally had control of the courtroom again. “One more outburst like that, and I will ban you from this hearing. And in the future, please refrain from saying that name out loud.”


Harry looked at her calmly. “It’s just a name, you know. Being afraid to say the name won’t make him go away. It only gives him more power.”


For the first time the judge seemed uncomfortable. “Even if that were true, saying the name causes panic. I have warned you.”


Harry shrugged. “What do you want me to call him then? Personally, I like The Dark Tosser best, but-”


The judge’s gavel almost drowned out Mr. Weasley’s groan and Stephen’s warning, “Harry… that’s enough.”


“I apologize for my client,” Ms. Dewey told the judge. “Coupled with the loss of his Godfather and the stress of these proceedings, I’m sure he isn’t acting himself.”


“I disagree,” Umbridge chimed in. “I taught the boy for a year and he seems to be acting exactly like himself.”


Harry held up his hand defiantly in a fist, exposing the faint but readable scar still imbedded in the back of his hand. “I learned my lesson well, thanks to you. But even detention with you and your blood quill never stop me from telling the truth.” He turned his eyes back to the judge. “I apologize in advance for saying the name, but if the Ministry had listened to me a year ago when Voldemort first came back instead of trying to silence me with toads such as her, then maybe we wouldn’t be in the mess that we’re in now.”


“You speak rather boldly for a minor, Mr. Potter,” the judge said with a hint of disapproval in her voice.


“I may be underage,” Harry told her, “but I am no child.”


The judge glanced down at her papers. “I see that you are a very passionate young man. I’m reviewing your school records… it seems that you’ve been in a fair spot of trouble during your time at Hogwarts. Detention on numerous occasions, sneaking out, leaving school grounds without permission, numerous trips to the hospital wing for Quidditch related and suspicious reasons…”


“Much of that ‘fair spot of trouble’ can be traced back to Tom Riddle and his followers,” Harry commented mildly.


“Tom Riddle?” the judge asked curiously.


“I’m sorry…” Harry answered respectfully. “You asked me not use his other name, so I thought I’d use his real one instead.”


The judge flushed. Harry couldn’t tell if she was embarrassed or angry, but he hoped he had not offended her.


“Let’s get back to your case, shall we?” she said briskly. “It says here that Rubeus Hagrid was sent to give you your Hogwarts letter and to escort you to buy your school things. Can you explain why the groundskeeper at Hogwarts was charged with this duty?”


“The Dursleys weren’t giving me my letters. Besides, Hagrid is my friend,” Harry said defensively. “He was the person who told me that I was a wizard and not a freak, and he told me the truth about my mum and dad.”


“What do you mean ‘told you the truth’?” the judge asked.


“My aunt and uncle hate magic, and they hate me. They always resented that they got stuck with me and they told me my whole life that I was the son of a drunkard — that my parents had died in a car crash. They think witches and wizards are freaks. I wasn’t very welcome in their house growing up, and they were glad to be rid of me. Even now, they only put up with me during the summer holiday because they have to.”


“And you’ve spent every summer at their home since attending Hogwarts?” the judge asked.


“Only half the summer — usually I spend the rest with the Weasleys. Ron Weasley is my best mate, and his family has been very good to me.”


“We have come to see Harry as another son,” Mr. Weasley added. “He is always welcome in our home, and my wife, Molly, worries about him more than if he were her own.”


Harry smiled at the compliment. Mrs. Weasley tended to be over-protective, but she meant well. He remembered the conversation she had with Sirius when she had likened Harry to one of her children.


“Ms. Dewey…” the judge admonished. “You are unusually quiet. Don’t you have anything to say about the matter?”


“Mr. Potter seems quite mature and is stating his case much more eloquently than I, Your Honour,” she said with a satisfied smile. “Given that he is so close to coming of age, I move that he be declared an emancipated adult in the eyes of the court and the law. Don’t you agree?”


“I’m not certain that would be the best, in this case,” the judge said, shaking her head. “I’m not convinced he is mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes with managing both the Potter estate and the Black Family fortune. He will need guidance on these matters. He still has almost two years of education to complete, and that should be his focus.”


“The Potter account has been handled for years by Mr. Potter’s accountants at Gringotts, as has the Black estate,” Mr. Howe pointed out. “Sirius Black was a prisoner in Azkaban for thirteen years and had no real say in how his family’s money was handled. I don’t think two years is going to make much of a difference, in this case.”


“The Ministry contends that Mr. Potter is a danger to himself and others,” Umbridge insisted. She pulled out a file. “I have sworn statements from professionals who have examined his past erratic behaviour. We are concerned that he is an imbalanced individual and a ticking time bomb. He needs to be admitted to St. Mungo’s immediately for observation-”


“Harry is not imbalanced!” Stephen roared, losing his temper at last.


“And who are you, exactly?” Umbridge asked coldly.


“My name’s Stephen Hunter,” he said coldly. “I am Harry’s teacher at Hogwarts. This past summer I’ve gotten to know Harry through our tutoring sessions. He was behind in his education, thanks to the mess you made of our Defence program last year, Ms. Umbridge. During our time together, Harry has proved to be a very strong minded individual with the most integrity I have ever seen in an individual, next to his father. He is no more unstable than I am.”


“Stephen Hunter…” Umbridge mused. “Aren’t you supposed to be dead?” She laughed sweetly. “No… I’m sorry. That’s your wife and son, isn’t it?”


Stephen levelled her with an icy glare. “I’d be very careful, if I were you, Ms. Umbridge… Comments like that could make me lose my temper.” His voice was low and threatening.


Umbridge shrieked to the judge, “Did you hear him threaten me?”


“Just a simple warning…” Stephen said mildly. “As an ex-Auror, I would know better than to outright threaten you.”


“That’s quite enough, Mr. Hunter,” the judge commanded. “Your comments on Mr. Potter’s mental status are noted. Mr. Weasley, you have known Mr. Potter for a number of years. Could you enlighten me on his home situation and shed any light on the claims of the Ministry?”


“My wife and I first met Harry the summer between his first and second years at Hogwarts. By then, he’d become quite close with our sons, Ron, Fred and George. They became very concerned about him when Harry stopped responding to their letters that summer. We found out later that his aunt and uncle had locked him in his room after an unfortunate incident concerning accidental magic that was not Harry’s fault. His uncle even went so far as to install bars on his windows.”


“I see a letter of reprimand from the Improper Use of Magic Office from that summer…” the judge said, flipping through his file.


“That wasn’t me, ma’am… that was Dobby,” Harry said, trying not to groan. How long was that incident going to follow him around?


“Dobby?” the judge said, staring at him from behind her reading glasses. “Who is Dobby?”


“Dobby is a house-elf,” Harry began. “He was the one who cast the levitation charm in the first place.”


“I don’t see a record of a house-elf at your residence…”


“No, Dobby isn’t my house-elf. He was the Malfoy’s house-elf… he was only there to warn me about what Lucius Malfoy was about to do.”


“About what Mr. Malfoy was about to…” she repeated, dumbfounded. “I don’t think I understand.”


“I tried to tell you he was unbalanced,” Umbridge muttered.


“You see, Mr. Malfoy managed to slip Ginny Weasley a diary when she was buying her schoolbooks. That diary was more than a simple book… it once belonged to Tom Riddle who later became… well, that name I’m not supposed to say. Through the diary, Tom used Ginny to open the Chamber of Secrets that year and Tom — the younger Tom Riddle — tried to kill her and me. I’m sure you heard of the attacks…”


“I do remember something about… but I hadn’t heard this version…” the judge said, still sounding confused.


“Well, anyway… I followed Ginny and Tom into the Chamber of Secrets and managed to kill the basilisk that was petrifying the Muggleborn students, including my friend Hermione Granger...” Realising that he had just unloaded way too much information, Harry’s voice trailed off. “Anyway, it was Dobby who did the magic, not me.”


“And I suppose you can prove this story?” the judge asked with a doubtful voice and a raised eyebrow.


Harry nodded. “If you like, I can call Dobby. He works at Hogwarts now, ma’am.”


“I can testify that Harry is telling the truth,” Mr. Weasley added. “It was my daughter, Ginny, whom Harry saved. If it wasn’t for his bravery and quick-thinking, she wouldn’t be alive today.”


“Very well… I will take this story into account as I make my final decision,” she said. Harry didn’t know if that was good or bad.


“Your Honour,” Ms. Dewey said, “is it really necessary to dissect every little incident in Mr. Potter’s school records? I fail to see the relevance this has on today’s matter…”


“I am attempting to make a decision about Mr. Potter’s future based on the information I have before me, Ms. Dewey,” the judge said. “The Ministry of Magic is making a serious charge against Mr. Potter, and I am trying to determine the validity of that charge. Now if you will allow me to continue…”


“Of course, Your Honour,” Ms. Dewey said respectfully. “I apologize.”


“I see here several notations by Professor Snape concerning your rule-breaking behaviour and the Headmaster’s tendency to overlook it,” she commented.


“With all due respect, Your Honour, but Professor Snape hated my father and has never treated me fairly from the moment I stepped into his classroom,” Harry explained. “We have never liked each other much. He hates Gryffindors in general… and me in part
“Lucky for you, I have several nieces and nephews who can attest to Professor Snape’s tendency to favour the Slytherins,” she said, nodding.


“Severus and James were in the same year at Hogwarts,” Stephen explained. “It was well known that they loathed each other.”


“Hmmm…” She turned another page in the file. “I see your notes in here as well, Dolores. However, many of them have been modified.”


“What!” Umbridge exclaimed. “I-I don’t understand…”


“Deputy Headmistress McGonagall has made notes next to yours in favour of Mr. Potter’s version of the story. A lifetime ban on Quidditch...” she tutted. “…And for such a small offence. It does seem rather harsh to me. I’ve already seen evidence of the blood quill…” She fixed her eyes on Umbridge. “It also says here that you attempted to use an Unforgivable on Mr. Potter at the end of your term as Defence Instructor, and that you admitted to sending a Dementor after him. Would you care to explain that?”


“Well I-I didn’t… I wasn’t really…” Umbridge stuttered.


“I think I’ve heard enough,” the judge declared, closing the file. She looked at Harry critically. “I’m no slouch, Mr. Potter… I follow the news and I’m smart enough to read between the lines. I do not think you are crazy or imbalanced, but I also do not think that you are ready to take on an inheritance such as the Black Family fortune at this time in your life… You have too many things working against you right now to worry about financial matters. Therefore, I am prepared to grant your attorney’s request to make you an emancipated adult in the eyes of the Ministry, provided that certain conditions are met.”


They all ignored Umbridge’s cries of protest. “Just tell me what I have to do,” Harry said, grinning.


“If Mr. Weasley agrees to act as a liaison between you and your accountants, I would feel more comfortable giving you this freedom. When you graduate from Hogwarts, you will have free reign over your money, but for now a trust will be set up that should be more than adequate to cover your expenses. Any additional money you should need will be approved by Mr. Weasley, and in exchange for his services he will be paid a modest fee. Is that acceptable to you?”


Harry nodded. “More than acceptable. As far as I’m concerned, he can have the money. I could never repay the Weasleys for everything they’ve given me over the years.”


The judge gave him an amused but stern look. “It is precisely that attitude which I hope to save you from. Money isn’t everything, Mr. Potter, but if used wisely, it can do great things. You may also find it comes in very handy when you decide to settle down with that special someone…”


Harry blushed as he thought of Ginny and making a life with her. “I hope I live long enough to see that happen,” he said to no one in particular.


“I hope so, too, Mr. Potter,” the judge said. “In fact, I’m counting on it. Please try not to let me down.”


Harry nodded mutely. He hoped he wouldn’t let her down either.


The meeting adjourned soon after all the papers were signed. Mr. Weasley hurried off to check on the progress of his salt shaker case, promising to get in touch with him later after he’d had time to check into his financial matters more thoroughly, and Umbridge made a quick disappearing act, most likely to inform her boss that things hadn’t gone as planned. Harry knew that sooner or later he’d have to face the Ministry again, and was thankful that day wasn’t today.


As he and Stephen left the courtroom, he was greeted by a very anxious Remus Lupin. “I saw Arthur just a few minutes ago and he gave me the good news. Congratulations, Harry.”


Harry frowned. “Where did you go?”


“I thought it best that I not endanger your case, given Dolores Umbridge’s feelings concerning my kind,” he said, sounding too resigned to the fact that he wasn’t accepted by the majority of the Wizarding World for Harry’s liking. “After that I went to your aunt and uncle’s house. I had hoped to convince them to sign the papers, but when I arrived your uncle was in a rage. It seemed the owl had delivered the papers in the middle of his dinner and he was not happy about the sudden intrusion. This owl was very insistent and pecked his hand when he tried to shoo it away. He threatened to shoot the next bird that flew through his window, and invited me to leave. I saw him burning the papers as I left.”


“Good thing I wasn’t counting on them, then,” Harry said dryly. “I imagine Uncle Vernon was in quite a state.”


“Yes, he was,” Remus said, seeming to find it hard to hide his smile. “Poor man looked like he was about to have a stroke. I’ve never seen a human being turn so many shades of red all at once.”


“My favourite colour is when he gets all purple,” Harry said. “He usually finds it difficult to speak when he turns that shade.”


“Where is Albus?” Stephen asked. “Have you heard from him? I thought for sure he would be here.”


“I tried reaching him but Minerva said he was gone. He didn’t leave any instructions to get in touch with him and no one knows where he went or how long he’ll be gone.” Remus’ eyes belied his worried emotions.


“Is this usual behaviour?” Stephen asked.


Remus shrugged. “He has disappeared on occasion lately, but he never gives an explanation — only that he’s been on important Order business. It has something to do with our current situation, I’m sure.”


Harry exchanged a look with Stephen, sure that his teacher was thinking the same thing. He, for one, desperately wanted to know what the Headmaster was up to and if it had anything to do with finding a way to defeat Voldemort.


“I’m sure he’ll be back before you know it…” Remus said mildly, although Harry knew he had not missed the look between Stephen and himself. “He’s usually never gone longer than a few hours… possibly a day or two at the most.”


Stephen checked his watch. “Let’s head up to the Office of Magical Transportation before we head out. I think there’s just enough time.”


“Time for what?” Harry asked, dragging his mind away from Dumbledore and his mysterious disappearing act.


“Time to take your Apparition Test,” Stephen told him with a twinkle in his eye.


“But I’m not seventeen yet,” Harry said.


“But you are an adult now, Quetzal, in the eyes of the law. It’s one of the perks of emancipation.”


“You’re joking!” He hadn’t had time to consider the implications of being viewed as an adult apart from avoiding being chucked into St. Mungo’s.


“Harry doesn’t know how to Apparate,” Remus said.


“Oh yes he does,” Stephen insisted. “I taught him myself as part of his training. He was blind as a bat at the time, but managed to get around just fine with the help of his little snake friend. He made good use of the skill when he fought the island’s best warrior.” He winked at Harry.


“Blind Apparition?” Remus questioned, scratching his head in confusion. “Snake friend… and fighting? What else have you neglected to tell us about your summer, Harry?” He looked at Harry for an explanation as they walked towards the lift.


Harry sighed. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”


***



The Apparition Test didn’t take long. After completing the preliminary paperwork and paying the fee, Harry was ushered into a tiny room with a pedestal on it.


“Step inside the square,” a bored voice said from behind a tiny desk. “In order to pass your test and get your licence you will need to Apparate to the location I show you. Once there, you will be checked for possible Splinching and if everything is present, you will be given the green flag. Upon your return, you will again be checked for Splinching. If you passed, you will be given a stamped certificate. You will then proceed to the next area to have your wand modified to reflect the date of your initial Apparition Licence. Is that understood?”


Harry nodded.


The man held up a picture. “Here is your destination. You have three minutes to Apparate. One… two… three!”


Harry concentrated and felt the familiar squeezing sensation that he had come to associate with Apparition. When he opened his eyes he was next to a dilapidated old building on what looked to be Northern Wales. An old man was standing guard outside the building, wand in hand. He ran the wand up and down over Harry’s body, much like Madame Pomfrey did when she was checking for injuries.


He grinned a toothy grin — except he was missing a few teeth, Harry noticed. “You passed the first leg of the exam, sonny,” he told him in a wheezy voice. He opened the door to the building, which was more like a shed. When he returned, he had a large green flag in his hand.


The man shoved the flag in Harry’s hand. “Take this back to Phil.”


“Phil?” Harry asked, taking the flag hesitantly. He was having a hard time holding the gigantic thing and managing his wand, too. Stephen had drilled it into his head to always have his wand out and at the ready whenever he Apparated, regardless of the situation, even though it wasn’t technically necessary for Apparition. Trying to manage the flag and the wand was proving to be difficult; the man had said he’d get the green flag, but Harry hadn’t thought it’d be quite so literal… or so large.


“Back to the Apparition Exam Room where you came from, sonny… Now get going before I change that green flag to a red one.”


Harry closed his eyes and concentrated, relieved to be feeling the squeezing that he now associated with Apparition. When he open is eyes again, he was back in the exam room holding the big flag.


Phil ran his wand over his body once again. “You passed kid.” He waddled to the desk and stamped a card which he attempted to hand to Harry, who still had his wand in one hand and the flag in the other. After an awkward struggle, Phil ended up taking the flag from him and passing him the card with a dissatisfied grunt. “Congratulations,” he said, sounding as if he said it all they time without meaning it. “You may now proceed to window seven to finalize your licence.”


“Thanks,” Harry said, slipping gratefully from the room.


The woman at the window took his card. “Give me your wand,” she instructed. Reluctantly, Harry handed it over to her. “Name?” she asked in a bored voice.


“Harry… Harry Potter.”


She did a double-take at his name. “You don’t say? I didn’t expect to see you till next summer.” Her eyes narrowed. “Let me see your papers.”


Harry handed her his papers along with the court order granting him emancipation. “Interesting…” she commented, making Harry wonder how long it would be before the details of his new independence ended up on the cover of the Daily Prophet. She shoved the papers back at him. “This won’t take a minute, Mr. Potter, and then you are free to go.”


She did a complicated little charm over his wand and then handed it back to him. “There you go… you’re all set.”


Harry took his wand back and examined it. “What did you just do?”


“I recorded the date of your initial licence in the memory of your wand, of course,” she answered with a tinge of impatience. “Now off you go. I don’t have time to sit here an lollygag all day!”


Harry looked around. He was the only one waiting in line. In fact, he was the only one in the office. Seizing his opportunity, he went to find Stephen and Remus who were waiting for him in the hall.


“Well?” Stephen asked.


“I got the green flag,” Harry chuckled. “I passed, first go.”


Stephen laughed. “I knew you would, kid. Let’s go celebrate.”


“Don’t we have to get back to Hogwarts?” Harry asked.


Stephen shook his head. “It’s tradition… when a young wizard passes his Apparition exam he is treated to his first pint by Madame Rosmerta.”


“But I’ve already had my first pint…” Harry said. “Gryffindors throw some great parties… especially after winning Quidditch championships and battling dragons.”


“Then your first shot of Firewhiskey.”


Harry shook his head. “Fred and George took care of that this summer.”


Stephen shrugged. “I’m sure we’ll find something.”


Remus laughed. “I’d better be going,” he said reluctantly.


Harry jerked his head in his direction, disappointed. They were in the lift now headed to the lobby and the Apparition point. “You’re not coming?”


Remus shook his head. “Not this time. I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be seen with me, Harry.”


“Why not?”


Remus smiled sadly. “I’m not exactly a welcome patron of most establishments these days, thanks to the Ministry.”


“Sod the Ministry, Remus!” Harry exclaimed angrily. “I want you to come. I don’t think Madame Rosmerta will refuse to serve you.”


He looked hopeful for a minute. “Maybe…”


“At least try, Remus,” Harry pleaded. “For me?”


They were almost to the Apparition point now. “Alright,” he agreed. “The Three Broomsticks it is,” he sighed, drawing out his wand.


They were so involved in their conversation that none of them noticed a shadowy figure following them. The man grinned to himself thinking how the Dark Lord would reward him for capturing the elusive Harry Potter, at last. Soon he would be honoured above all his followers for finally giving him the one thing he wanted most — Harry Potter.


[A/N: I’m sending my thanks to all the people out there taking the time to encourage me by writing such thoughtful reviews. They really keep me going! I am doing my best to stay motivated and keep the momentum going so that I can finish this. The plan is still to publish once a week. Right now I am working on Chapter 23, so I have some leeway there but not much. Thanks to Arnel, Melindaleo, and mbwun5 for all your advice. And a big thanks you to everyone who voted for me for the Silver Trinket Award here at SIYE. I was honored to just get nominated. Congratulations to all the winners, expecially Melindaleo. I'm pre-beta reading for her and I have to say... you ain't seen nothin' yet! The story rocks, from chapter one all the way to chapter 21 (where I am in it so far... Melinda belives in having a good lead). Congrats, Melinda!


Next week’s chapter is a big one and will turn this story on its ear. It is so controversial that my good friend, Melindaleo, and I had a huge disagreement about the content. We have finally agreed to disagree (friendships are more important than fanfiction, you know), but I am very interested to see your reactions, so please… review away. What do YOU think will happen? Any ideas…? The chapter title is called “Ambush” and it is coming on Friday of next week.


FYI… The content of this chapter is not frivolous. It has some bearing on the next chapter — and the rest of the story, for that matter — because it sets things in motion that signal a downward spiral for Harry and the Wizarding World. Every scene relates in some way to the plot even though it may not be apparent at this time. (That goes out to certain critics who think that the plot has become nonexistent… Trust me, it’ll all come together in the end, and I have some surprises in store for you.)


I do have to say thank you to those out there who have encouraged me to continue on with my AU story and not focus on incorporating HBP canon in this story. You were right, and I think you will find that future chapters will show that I’ve listened. That’s not to say that the scenes I’ve written so far were unimportant. I think you’ll find that every scene further the plot in some way when it’s all said and done. From now on I may include a character here and there or some tidbits from new canon, but I’m trying to make them my own as they relate to my story and not worry about new canon.


Well… what are you waiting for? Go on and review! : )
Reviews 537
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear