Search:

SIYE Time:23:04 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Shadow of the Serpent
By KEDme

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 537
Summary: **June Dumbledore Silver Trinket Award Winner for Best Angst, and May winner for Best Author**

Harry is whisked away to an ancient island to be trained in Occlumency. What he finds is another complication to add to his already complicated life. Will friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, and honor be enough to save him from the Shadow of the Serpent that haunts his life? H/G angst/action adventure.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152113; Chapter Total: 6325
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
FYI… my plans for this chapter didn’t really pan out. It fought me the whole way and I finally decided to just let it stand as is. I had hoped to include some action, but alas… that will have to wait for next chapter. Thanks to Arnel for beta reading this and to Melindaleo for giving me a boost when I needed it. I took a short break from writing for a few weeks just because I needed to get away from it and regroup. Despite my vow that this will be my last fanfiction piece, I managed to produce a detailed outline of a new fic, H/G of course, but not connected to this universe at all. I’m trying to convince Melinda to collab with me when we both finish our respective stories. She’s ‘thinking about it’, but I know she’s tempted, lol. If not, then maybe I’ll buck up and write it by myself. Who knows? I also have that piece I started called Bring Me to Life that some of you may have read on the old H/G yahoo group. I hope to finish that one too, some day. Anyway, I think the break did me some good. My spirit is renewed now, so hopefully things will begin to move again. Let me know what you think. And for those who nominated me again for the DD Silver Trinket… a big thanks! I really appreciate it. This month I’m up for several categories including Best Author, Best Drama, and Best Angst. I never considered this story angst, but now that I think about it I really can’t disagree. Lol… I do tend to lean towards the dramatics, don’t I? I’m just starting on the next chapter, so I’m not sure how long it’ll take me to get it finished but as soon as I do I’ll update. And yes… I’ll hurry! (So long as my Muse cooperates.) Thanks for reading & reviewing, and a big thanks if you voted for me!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter



Disclaimer:
The characters and situations of Harry Potter depicted in this story are the legal property of J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, and AOL Time Warner, and have been used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.

No profit is being made off this story. It is for entertainment purposes only.

Chapter Twenty-Six
“Look Who’s Back”


The week slipped away and Harry was no closer to finding a solution to his problem than the night he had learned of the Horcruxes. He had spent a good deal of time in the library under the cover of his invisibility cloak looking for answers. But it was bloody difficult trying to nick books from the shelf and not get caught by Madame Pince or avoid being seen by some well-meaning student looking for a book to cram for their end of year exams. Luckily Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were all busy with their own exams, which left him loads of time to himself to do what he needed to do.


Not only was he searching the library for any information on Horcruxes, but he also had been searching the castle for clues about Macoa and her whereabouts. He’d started with his dorm room at a time when he knew his classmates would all be taking an exam. He hadn’t really expected to find anything and wasn’t disappointed. All his belongings had long since been removed from the dorm, and there wasn’t much to see. The bed was still in the same place with its heavy drapes and scarlet duvet looking like all the other beds in the room. The difference was that there was no longer a school trunk at the foot of the bed with his initials. The space looked too perfect — empty and cold compared to the rumpled duvets and messy floors surrounding the other beds.


For the first time he wondered about Neville, and even Seamus and Dean. None of them knew that he was back. What must it have been like for his dorm mates, especially Ron, to see his empty bed and not know what had become of him? Was Dean still holding a grudge against him? Or was he glad that Harry was gone so that he could have a chance with Ginny? Was Seamus still messing around with Lavender on the sly? How was Neville coping with Voldemort’s return?


He suddenly wished that he was back in Gryffindor Tower, preparing for the end of term just like everybody else and worrying about another guy making a move on his girlfriend. This year had been a nightmare. He had missed so much…


Before he knew it, he had allowed time to slip by and the common room was beginning to fill up with students when he made his way down the stairs. Under the invisibility cloak, he stuck close to the wall and out of the way of foot traffic, but his heart stopped when Ginny entered the common room with an armload of books. She had come from the dormitories and looked as if she may be headed to the library to return the stack of books. Harry knew she’d just taken her last OWL that morning.


He couldn’t help noticing how happy she looked and how bright her eyes were lately. Even Harry could see that she looked much healthier than she had two weeks ago since his return; the tired, pinched look was gone and she had a spring in her step that suggested she was very happy about something. To him, she was the most beautiful thing in the world.


“Well… look whose back,” a sarcastic female voice said from Harry’s left. “It’s the scarlet woman of fifth year. I wonder what wizard she’s been shacking up with lately in the school broom cupboards. I hear she’s never in her bed at night anymore.”


At first Harry didn’t know who they were talking about. Out of curiosity he looked around and in disbelief his eyes landed on Ginny who had flushed red with embarrassment.


The fourth year student making the slanderous statement was rewarded with a round of giggles from her friends sitting nearby. The girl hadn’t bothered to keep her voice low and some of the other students in the Common Room sniggered along with the fourth year girls. Harry could feel Ginny’s emotions, a mixture of shame, guilt, and something else...


She paused, then set her books on the nearest table and marched over to the group, a determined expression glinting behind her eyes.


Harry’s blood was boiling and he was itching to hex the girls, but he remembered what Ginny had said about needing to fight her own battles so he held himself in check. This was Ginny’s fight, not his.


She stopped in front of the troublemaker — Romilda… Romilda Vine… er, Vane, maybe?


“Grow up,” Ginny said, looking down on the girls with a disgusted frown.


“Excuse me?” the ringleader, Romilda said with an arrogant air about her.


“You heard me,” Ginny repeated evenly, her hand on her hips. “I said grow up. There are more important things going on in the world than my sex life. I’m tired of being the target of your gossip. Why don’t you turn your energies to the war going on? There’s a madman by the name of Voldemort on the loose out there — or have you forgotten?”


For once Harry was glad to hear the shocked gasps of the girls as Ginny boldly said the forbidden name.


But Romilda wouldn’t be cowed so easily. “What’s that got to do with me? I’m just a student.”


“Harry Potter is ‘just a student’ and he’s been fighting Voldemort since he was eleven,” Ginny retorted easily.


Comprehension dawned on the girl’s face. “Ah, I see…” Romilda said boldly. “Now I understand. We’re back to the Harry Potter fixation again. So tell me Weasley… where is your boyfriend, the great Harry Potter?”


The other girls snickered, but Ginny smiled. “For all you know, he may be in this room now,” she said with satisfaction.


Harry grimaced, knowing he was caught. Damn!


Romilda laughed and the girls followed her lead. “You are mad, aren’t you? If Harry Potter were in this room I think we’d all know it.”


When they had stopped laughing Ginny smirked. “You don’t know anything, do you? You sit here with your little gossip whores and talk about everyone else, but what you should be doing is worrying about what’s going to happen when you leave the protection of Hogwarts. There’s a war going on out there ladies, and the real mad man is Voldemort — otherwise known as Tom Riddle by those of us who have actually met him. While you’ve sat here safe at school all year my boyfriend has been out there fighting him. But does he do it for your thanks? I think not. Harry does it because he knows the difference between right and wrong. He knows what’s really important…” She looked down her nose at the silly girls, her eyes flashing. “…and what’s not.”


The girls were silent as they watched her turn, gather her books, and march back out the portrait hole. Had they been watching closely, they might have seen her pause just a second as an invisible hand touched the small of her back. And, if they had been paying attention instead of continuing on with their gossip, they might have seen her step aside just a bit more than necessary as she made room for an invisible body to climb out ahead of her into the corridor.


When the Fat Lady was safely back in her place on the wall, Ginny whispered urgently, “What do you think you were doing in there, Harry Potter?”


“Not here,” Harry whispered back. “You can yell at me all you like, but let’s go somewhere less public.”


Ginny nodded in agreement. “Fine, then. The Hideout?”


“No,” Harry said, feeling her surprise. “Too many ears there. I don’t want to have to put up with the Marauders’ antics right now, and the other two portraits will just report everything we say back to Dumbledore. Let’s go to the Room of Requirement.”


“Okay,” Ginny grumbled. “But this better be good.”


The minute they entered the room Ginny started in on him, even before he had the cloak all the way off. “What do you think you were doing sneaking around the common room!” she yelled. “You could have been caught, and how exactly would you explain that to the entire Gryffindor Tower?”


“I have to tell people eventually,” he pointed out. “I can’t hide forever — especially now that we’re certain that the Ministry won’t be coming after me. Stephen told me last night that the Ministry doesn’t have any proof that Voldemort’s Dark Price even exists, much less that it was really me.”


“And you know I’m glad about that, Harry,” she said in a calmer voice. “But do you really want people to find out you’re back by being caught out? I mean, sneaking around in an invisibility cloak and spying on your friends is not really the way I see you wanting to return.”


“You’re right, of course,” he answered truthfully. “But I needed to see if Macoa left any clues behind…”


“Honestly, Harry,” Ginny said, throwing up her hands in exasperation. “What clues could a ruddy snake actually leave?”


“I don’t know,” he said defensively, “but I couldn’t very well sit around all day and do nothing. I had to see for myself.”


There was a pause as they stared each other down. Then Ginny asked quietly. “Did you find anything, then?”


“No,” he admitted begrudgingly.


Ginny’s lips twisted in a smile but she didn’t say anything.


“I thought that maybe I might be able to see some traces of residual magic if she was doing something to me,” he explained. “But if any was leftover it’s long gone by now. I just don’t understand how she could have betrayed me. I didn’t get the feeling that she was trying to hurt me at all.”


“Sometimes it happens that way,” Ginny said gently, all traces of anger gone. “Look at your parents. They trusted Peter with their lives and yours — yet he betrayed them. I trusted Tom, and look what a mess that turned out to be. We don’t always see the signs until after the fact.”


“How could I have been so bloody stupid?”


Ginny shrugged. “I asked myself that same thing. Stop beating yourself up about this — it all turned out okay, didn’t it? At least neither one of us is dead.”


“That’s comforting, Ginny,” Harry said sarcastically.


She rolled her eyes. “You know what I mean.”


“Speaking of Tom,” Harry said carefully, “er…how are you feeling?”


Ginny’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean by that?”


Harry tried to look innocent. He didn’t want to upset her, and have her start yelling again.


“Er… I was just wondering if you’d felt anything funny, uh… I mean odd… er… lately.”


“Harry,” Ginny said plaintively. “That was three ‘ers’ and an ‘uh’. Whenever you start talking like that I know there’s something you’re not saying. You’ve been asking me this every day for a week now and you’ve yet to give me an explanation. Why would I feel funny? What’s going on?”


Harry hesitated, not sure if he should tell her about the Horcruxes. He had struggled with whether to tell her or not because he didn’t want to alarm her, but part of him knew she deserved the truth.


“I found out something important,” he said finally, “but if it’s all the same with you I’d rather wait until I can tell you, Ron, and Hermione all at the same time. This is going to be hard enough to say once. After I tell them, then we need to have a long talk. Alone. That’s all I can say for now.”


She gave him a funny look, but said, “All right. I can live with that. It’s far better than being excluded. At least I know that whatever it is, you’ll tell me and not shut me out.”


He was taken aback by her statement. “I don’t intentionally exclude you.”


She raised her eyebrow doubtfully.


“Okay,” he admitted. “Maybe in the past I have excluded you. But that’s just because I didn’t know you very well.”


“What about all that stuff that happened on the island? You didn’t tell me much about that did you? But you told Ron and Hermione,” she said in a slightly accusing voice.


“You’re right,” he admitted reluctantly. “I did tell them. But I didn’t mean to tell them. It all just kind of came pouring out. That was the same night I gave you that egg — the one you don’t remember. The more I think about it, the more I’m certain that the egg was affecting me somehow, or maybe Macoa put a spell on me. It’s possible that if the egg was charmed, it affected you too.”


“At last we’re getting somewhere,” she pouted angrily. “You were keeping things from me on purpose, even though we communicated all summer through our dreams.”


Harry ran a hand through his already messy hair nervously. “Look, Ginny,” he said, “I never meant to keep those things from you forever. But I don’t always know how to talk about the stuff going on in my life. I didn’t tell you about Quetzalcoatl and all that prophecy stuff because I don’t know what to make of it, myself. And I didn’t tell you about the ballgame because I knew you’d worry. After it was all over, I was just glad to put it behind me and get home. The thing with the princess was all a misunderstanding, and it worked out in the end.”


“Princess?” Ginny said, suddenly alert. “What princess and what misunderstanding?”


Harry swore silently. He’d forgotten that he hadn’t told her about being betrothed to Masaya. Sighing, he asked the room for a comfortable place to talk and he sat her down on his lap and told her everything.


Her eyes were wide as she listened, but she only interrupted once to clarify. “So, you’re telling me that you were engaged to be married to this snooty princess who was really in love with this warrior — someone who wanted you dead. So he challenged you to a fight to the death, but you won. And then after you fought and destroyed a group of Lethifolds that were terrorizing the island, the three of you became friends and you got the chief to agree to let them get married, thereby letting you off the hook?” she said incredulously.


“Yeah,” Harry answered apprehensively. “That about covers it.”


“Are you out of your mind?” she exclaimed. “You could have died in that game!” She gasped, covering her mouth in horror. “Oh my! You could have been married!”


“Stephen said it wouldn’t come to that,” he said, shifting uncomfortably. “And that’s why I never told you. I knew you’d get upset and there was nothing you could do about it.”


“I knew you were stressed out about something other than Voldemort, but I had no idea,” she said looking away. “I just thought you were still going through your grieving over Sirius.”


Harry looked away, too, hoping that he hadn’t blown it. “I did some of that as well. But I think the thing that upset me the most was being so far away from you.”


He felt her melt at that statement and when he looked back the anger was gone. “I’m just glad you finally told me,” she said, reaching over and squeezing his hand reassuringly. “I can handle anything but secrets, Harry. You don’t have to tell me everything, but just try to be as honest with me as you can. You can trust me — I’m not some china doll that needs to be protected, and you don’t have to keep things from me because you think I’ll worry. I do that anyway.”


Harry took a deep breath and said, “Ginny… I am keeping something important from you. But I promise by tonight you’ll know it all. Just a few more hours, and I’ll tell you everything.”


She leaned over and pecked him on the lips in a chaste kiss. “We’d better get going or Ron and Hermione will wonder what became of us. You’re not supposed to leave The Hideout. I’m sure Hermione is having kittens by now.”


Once Harry had donned the Invisibility Cloak again and Ginny had gathered up her books, they made their way back to The Hideout by way of the library so that Ginny could return her books. As it turned out, Harry didn’t have a chance to talk to Ginny, Ron, and Hermione that night. Professor Dumbledore showed up just as Harry and Ginny got there.


“Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said with a slightly disapproving look under his half moon glasses. “I hope that you have used your time away from the safety of these rooms wisely. I would hate for all the sneaking about you have done this week to be for naught.”


Harry flushed guiltily. “Sorry, Professor. I just can’t stand being cooped up in this room all day.”


“That is precisely why I have come,” Dumbledore said, the twinkle returning to his eyes. “I think it’s time that we bring your presence here in the castle out into the open. I was hoping that you would feel up to accompanying your friends to the Great Hall tonight for dinner. I will make a short announcement concerning your return and then we can move you back into Gryffindor Tower until the end of term.”


“What will you tell the students?” Harry asked. “I mean, what should I say when people ask where I’ve been?”


Dumbledore fixed him with a steady stare. “In these cases, I think the truth is the best course of action. I will simply tell them that you have been held prisoner by Lord Voldemort but managed to escape recently. I hope you do not mind, but I also plan to ask the students to not question you about your time away unless you wish to share it with them. I rather felt that you would not be up to answering questions.”


Harry swallowed, knowing that once again he would be ogled and stared at by the student population. He should be used to it by now but he wasn’t, and he dreaded the fearful looks he was sure to get. Luckily the term was almost over.


“Professor,” Hermione asked. “What about all the work that Harry has missed? How is he to make it up?”


Harry hadn’t thought of that, but now that she brought it up he realised that he had missed practically the entire school year.


Dumbledore smiled at Hermione. “Professor McGonagall and I have been discussing this and have come to the conclusion that Mr. Potter may wish to repeat his sixth year next year. He can still stay in the same dormitory as the current sixth years, and then special arrangements can be made for a private room during his seventh year.” He turned to Harry. “It will put you a year behind, but I really see no alternative.”


Harry’s stomach lurched. “You mean I won’t be able to finish with Ron and Hermione?” He hadn’t considered this possibility, but now that it was before him he realised that eight months was too much to make up over the summer, even if he studied every day.


Ginny, however, brightened. “That means you’ll finish out with my year, Harry. Call me selfish, but I wasn’t looking forward to being here at Hogwarts for an entire year by myself after you lot left.” She squeezed his hand. “I’ve already spent most of this year without you and I don’t fancy spending another with us separated.”


“Besides, mate,” Ron said. “The twins have offered to give me a job after school. I want to be an Auror, but I knew I’d need to save up some money first. This way I can work for a year and wait for you. Then we can go together.”


Harry suddenly felt much better about the situation. “Thanks, mate,” he said gratefully.


Dumbledore clapped his hands merrily. “That sounds like an excellent plan, Mr. Weasley. I’m sure you and Mr. Potter will have no trouble being accepted into Auror training and I would be happy to give you both my personal recommendation.”


“Make that three,” Ginny piped up, then flushed. “If that’s alright with you, sir.”


“Three it is,” Dumbledore said congenially. “Miss Granger, shall I make it and even four?”


Hermione also flushed. “I’ll get back to you on that, Professor. I’m still considering my future career options.”


“Well, I’m sure that you will be successful in any career you might choose,” Dumbledore said, causing Hermione to blush even more profusely.


“Thank you, Professor,” she said sounding very pleased with the compliment.


Dumbledore checked his watch. “As it seems to be almost time for dinner to commence, would it be acceptable if you four would accompany me down to the Great Hall? I understand that Dobby is making treacle tart tonight, in honour of his favourite wizard.”


Now it was Harry’s turn to blush. “I’m ready,” he said, taking a deep breath.


Dumbledore held the door open for them and they all trouped out into the empty corridor but Hermione stopped suddenly.


“I almost forgot,” she exclaimed. “I was supposed to take the first years’ Defence Against the Dark Arts final exams to Professor Hunter before dinner.”


“Ah, yes,” Dumbledore said addressing her. “Professor Hunter asked me to pass on the message that he would be out of the castle until tomorrow. He had something very important that he had to do and he left just after his last exam. He asked that you leave the exams here in The Hideout — as you call it — and he will pick them up as soon as he returns.”


Hermione nodded and did as instructed, closing the door behind her as they left. Harry considered Stephen’s abrupt departure as they made their way to the Great Hall and he couldn’t help wondering what could be so important that Stephen had to leave the castle without telling him first. Did it have anything to do with Voldemort?


He didn’t have time to ponder the situation much, however, because before he knew it they were at the doors of the Great Hall. The group paused before entering.


“Looks like we’re late,” Ron commented nervously glancing at Harry. “You sure you’re up for this mate?”


Harry nodded grimly, feeling his mouth go dry and traces of his muteness returning. “I’ll be fine,” he managed to say, grateful to feel Ginny squeeze his hand tightly as she sent him some fortitude. He gripped her hand in return and refused to allow her to pull away. Stay with me, he sent her mentally, surprised when her face showed that she had heard him.


She nodded. “I will.”


Harry didn’t miss the thoughtful look Dumbledore was giving them or the confused expressions of his friends, but he didn’t attempt to explain. … As long as Ginny understood him, that was all that mattered.


She motioned towards the doors. “Ready?”


With renewed determination, Harry pulled open the heavy wooden doors.


At first, the student population did not take much notice of them. It wasn’t long, however, before the whispering started, and then the pointing and gasping commenced. Gradually, the student population grew unnaturally silent as the group made their way inside the Great Hall and headed to the Gryffindor table. Harry attempted to keep his breathing steady but it was difficult with the entire school staring at him.


Ginny guided him to an empty spot at the Gryffindor table but before he got very far his friends and classmates had started clapping. Soon, the clapping turned into cheering, and then the cheering was mixed with stomping. Gryffindors near him turned to shake his hand or stood to pat him jovially on the back. Almost everyone had big smiles on their faces or were shouting greetings. Harry had never expected to be welcomed back in such a manner and he was fairly certain that if they had known where he had really been they wouldn’t be so happy to see him. His hope for a quiet entrance was dashed. Amazingly, the students seemed to be celebrating his return and the Great Hall was soon erupting excited chaos.


Dumbledore quieted the room down with a loud booming voice similar to the one Harry had heard him use when the Troll had broken in the castle during his first year.


“Please give Mr. Potter some latitude,” he commanded. “He has been through a great ordeal. While I am sure he appreciates your display of happiness regarding his return, I think he would prefer a quiet reintroduction to his old life. Therefore, I ask that you not question him about where he has been. If he chooses to tell you, then I’m certain he will. Until Mr. Potter volunteers the information of his whereabouts these past months, please do not insist that he give it. And I’m sure he would appreciate you not bothering his friends, either. They have been instructed to not divulge any information on the subject without his permission.” Dumbledore paused, then clapped his hands. “Now that I have said my peace, please go back to enjoying your meal. I am told the House Elves have given us an excellent supper and I, for one, am looking forward to the treacle tart.” He then winked at Harry, turned, and made his way to the staff table.


The Hall was silent.


Still clutching Ginny’s hand tightly, Harry nodded at a few people as he sat down across from Ron and Hermione, but mostly he avoided eye contact. He knew his face must be red as a tomato and he was finding it difficult to breathe properly.


Ginny took her hand out of his to reach for a piece of chicken. Unceremoniously, she plopped it on his plate and then proceeded to fill both of their plates with a selection of foods she obviously knew Harry liked.


“Eat,” she ordered him as the noise level in the Great Hall slowly returned to normal. “You’ll thank me later. I don’t fancy having to sneak down to the kitchens to fetch you a late night snack.”


Harry gave her a tentative but grateful smile. “Yes Ma’am.”


“W-welcome back Harry,” Neville said from just down the table. “It’s good to see you again. We thought-” He stopped abruptly and turned red but everyone knew exactly what he meant to say.


“Yeah, mate,” Dean agreed, leaning in towards that table so Harry could see him. He grinned, breaking the sudden tension from Neville’s almost blunder. “We all missed seeing your ugly mug first thing in the morning,” he joked lightly. “Did you know that Ron’s taken to preening in front of the mirror before he goes downstairs, making sure that every hair is in place?”


“I do not!” Ron screeched, turning red with embarrassment. Harry didn’t miss the furtive glance towards Hermione.


“Yes, you do,” Neville said through a mouthful of food.


“Ron makes us all look bad these days,” Seamus agreed with a snort. “Not the same without you around here, mate. We can always count on your hair looking worse than anybody’s.”


Harry laughed and ran a hand through his too long hair. He had meant to ask Ginny to trim it soon, but had forgotten. “Glad to know I’m good for raising your egos,” he mumbled good-naturedly with a lopsided grin.


Ginny leaned close and ruffled his hair, sending involuntary shivers down his back. “I happen to like Harry’s messy hair. I’ve always thought it was your best feature, next to your eyes.”


Harry blushed and leaned over to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Thanks,” he said, smiling at her, completely unaware of the stares they were getting from his friends and the rest of the Great Hall. “But I think you may be a bit biased.”


“Not at all,” Ginny said airily, filling her glass with pumpkin juice and then reaching for his to do the same. “I’ve heard loads of girls over the years saying the same thing. I just happen to agree with them.”


“Ginny’s right, Harry,” Hermione piped in as she too filled her plate. “Girls think the messy look is sexy.”


Through his embarrassment, Harry was oddly pleased. This feeling lasted two seconds… just till Ron spoke.


“You think Harry is sexy?” Ron said, croaking out the last word like it was something foreign and dirty.


Hermione blushed. “I was just saying…”


“Harry is sexy, Ron,” Ginny said matter-of-factly, waving her fork around in an off-hand manner. “Everyone knows that.”


“Help me out, Harry,” Ron pleaded uncomfortably. “Tell them you’re not… that thing they said.”


Harry glanced at Ginny out of the corner of his eye, having caught her teasing mood. He was certain she was just trying to wind Ron up.


“You know Ron,” he said in a serious voice, “Hermione and Ginny are the smartest witches I know. If they say it, I have to believe them. Who am I to argue?”


He caught Hermione and Ginny’s eyes again and suddenly they all burst out laughing.


“You’re all barmy,” Ron grumbled.


Hermione reached over and ruffled Ron’s well-combed hair so that it stuck up all over like Harry’s did naturally.


“There you go,” she said coyly. “Now you’re sexy, too.”


Ron looked like he was trying very hard not to fix his hair, but at the same time he seemed pleased with Hermione’s comment.


Suddenly Seamus rumpled his hair, too. “How about me?” he asked Hermione. “Do I look sexy?”


“Naw,” Ron answered for her. “You just look like a git with untidy hair.”


Ginny laughed and leaned in closer towards Harry. “Sorry, Seamus,” she told the older Gryffindor. “There’s only one bloke at this table who can pull off the untidy look, and you’re not him.”


Ron and Seamus exchanged withering looks then Ron shrugged, conceding the point.


“She’s right you know,” Ron admitted without a trace of animosity. “It’s the whole celebrity thing I suppose.”


“Nope,” Harry interjected good-naturedly. “It’s the Potter charm — it gets them every time. Just ask Snape.” They all had a good chuckle over that one.


From there the conversation switched to final exams, the Quidditch season, and other matters — like who Snape had found snogging last week in his private potions storeroom. By the time Harry made it up to the common room, he felt tired from laughing so much.


Just before he headed up to bed, though, he stopped in front of the same group of fourth year girls who had given Ginny such a hard time earlier that day. Romilda Vane seemed to straighten up immediately, looking at him expectantly with a pleased expression. The other girls stopped their conversation and stared.


“You know,” he said conversationally, “it’s a funny thing about magic. It can do so much… even make a person invisible. If I were you, I’d watch who I was gossiping about from now on. You never know who might be listening.” He turned and looked at Ginny, who was talking to Hermione and not paying any attention to what Harry was doing.


Romilda followed his gaze and flushed even as the other girls paled.


“If you’ll excuse me,” he told them evenly, “I think I’ll go kiss my girlfriend good night.”


And that’s exactly what he did.



Reviews 537
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear