Search:

SIYE Time:8:34 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Shadow of the Serpent
By KEDme

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Death, Extreme Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 537
Summary: **June Dumbledore Silver Trinket Award Winner for Best Angst, and May winner for Best Author**

Harry is whisked away to an ancient island to be trained in Occlumency. What he finds is another complication to add to his already complicated life. Will friendship, love, loyalty, bravery, and honor be enough to save him from the Shadow of the Serpent that haunts his life? H/G angst/action adventure.
Hitcount: Story Total: 152138; Chapter Total: 5296
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer: The characters and situations of Harry Potter depicted in this story are the legal property of J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury, and AOL Time Warner, and have been used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended.

No profit is being made off this story. It is for entertainment purposes only.
[A/N: FYI… A teopati (te-o-pa-ti) is a doctor. The word is a real one that combines holy (teo) and medical arts (patli). Quite appropriate here, I think.]

Chapter Thirty-One
“Quetzalcoatl Reborn”



“Inside the Mist, the Darkness gathers and waits for the hour of Destiny. Without form, the Shadow grows stronger as it feeds on the souls of human spirits. In the Centre of the Universe lies the answer. At the darkest hour when the moon is at it’s brightest, Quetzalcoatl in the form of a man-child will free the people of the Shadow as he had been freed from its power by the Key. The child of Lightning and Thunder will restore hope to the people, and they will in turn save his soul. At that time, the Chosen will fight the Evil One in the Eye of Heaven and Hell for control of the world. Ehecailacozcatl will live again.”


They shouldered the wind and the cold as they made their way through the silent, dark village to the base of the Temple carrying Ginny’s portable in between them.

“And just how in the bloody hell are we supposed to climb that with my sister strapped to the stretcher?” Ron asked in a bewildered voice.

“We’re not climbing,” Harry told him. “We’re Apparating.”

“I thought we weren’t using magic,” Hermione pointed out.

“It won’t make much of a difference now, will it?” Harry said. “Besides, I don’t mind shaking things up a bit. I can hold it off long enough for us to get inside,” he said with confidence he didn’t know he possessed.

“Are you sure about this, Quetzal?” Stephen asked dubiously.

Harry nodded. “Positive. You four go first with Ginny. I’ll follow right behind and if anything goes wrong, I can cover you lot until you get inside.”

Stephen sighed but didn’t say anything. He did as Harry asked and prepared the others to Apparate with the stretcher, Ginny between them, while Harry got Macoa out of the bag and put her around his neck.

“The moment you usse magic the Dark will ssee,” Macoa told him seriously. “It will come after you, Princce, sso be prepared.”

“I will be,”
he told her, gripping his wand tightly in his right hand. “See you at the top,” he told the others as they too gripped their wands tightly and prepared to do a group Apparation, a feat none but Stephen had ever tried before. In Chuen’s case, she didn’t even have a wand so she held Stephen’s arm tightly with one hand and the stretcher with another to Side-Along Apparate.

“We have to coordinate this perfectly,” Stephen told the others, “or it won’t work. On the count of three we go. One…, two…, three!”

They all performed the spell simultaneously and disappeared.

Harry took a deep breath as the wind picked up suddenly and Disapparated from the spot, reappearing directly behind them as the black storm howled, threatening to blow him off his feet.

“Run!” he yelled at the group. They took off as fast as they could towards the large door to the temple, hindered by the strong winds that were only growing fiercer.

Harry turned his back on the group and faced the Dark Magic blowing all around him. He blocked out the fear and focused on his friends — the people he cared most about and loved.

Macoa raised her head and hissed a warning at the wind.

Leave us alone and permit us to enter,” she commanded, “or you will face the wrath of the gods!”

“NO!”
an unearthly voice screeched. It seemed to be coming from the storm, but Harry couldn’t tell for sure. “He has destroyed the Imachi and opened the gateway. He must pay for his crimes!”

“YOU DESTROY INNOCENT PEOPLE AND KILL WITHOUT MERCY!” Harry yelled back with conviction. “YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE, SO LEAVE NOW, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!”

“NO! It is you who should leave!” the angry voice answered.

Harry raised his hands to protect himself as a blast of ice-cold air rocketed his way. He felt the magic of the bands around his wrists glow and the power well up inside him as he caught the blast in his hands and reflected it back. The effort left him sweating, but not too terribly exhausted. Remembering his training, he used his elemental abilities to call forth his own wind to battle the dark clouds of magic that had formed. The tattoo on his chest grew warm, increasing his magic and shielding him from the cold. He directed the wind to do his bidding and keep out the Dark, protecting the Temple and the people within.

Standing on the holy place of a magical island with magic all around him, Harry felt more powerful than he ever had in his life. The more magic he used, the more magic seemed to come to him. It was like he was a magnet and magic was his metal — it flew to him from everywhere, building his strength. Gradually as his magic increased, his sight shifted and he could see the essence of the beast he was fighting, snarling and snapping at the edges of the shield he had formed to hold it at bay. The wind elements had created a white ring of clouds moving in a circular motion around the temple, like an old-fashioned English mote. The rest of the island was covered in Dark clouds but the Temple was calm and peaceful — like an oasis in the middle of a raging desert. Above them the sky became visible, crystal clear. Stars twinkled vibrantly and the moon shone down on them bright and full, reminding him that life was proceeding as normal elsewhere in the world. His thoughts turned briefly to Remus and what he was doing during this full moon, hoping that his father’s old friend was well.

Hearing a small gasp, he turned towards the large doors to see the others staring at him dumbly.

“And I always thought Hermione was scary,” Ron said weakly when he noticed they had Harry’s attention. “That was bloody amazing, mate!”

“I’ve never seen anything like it!” Hermione exclaimed. “You’re practically glowing with magic, Harry. How did you do it?”

Harry shrugged. He had no clue how to explain what he had done. Almost everything his did lately seemed to be driven by instinct. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “But it worked, didn’t it?”

Chuen was speechless, looking at Harry reverently, but Stephen regarded him with a keen expression. “Those elemental talents of yours are finally kicking in, I see,” he said with mild approval. “Good work, kid. Now tell us how to get this bloody door open so we can get inside.”

Harry looked at the door and spoke the word ‘open’ in Parseltongue. The heavy stones creaked open, allowing them entrance into the Temple.

“Stop!” a sharp voice commanded from the dark in Nahuatl. “In the name of Chief Tecuhtl, I command you. Stay where you are!”

Stephen snapped his fingers and the Torches blazed to life, revealing about a dozen fierce warriors, their spears drawn and pointed at the group.

“We demand an audience with Chief Tecuhtl as soon as possible,” he told them in a confident, firm voice.

“By whose authority do you dare make such demands?” the warrior who had spoken asked, distrust blazing in his eyes.

“By the authority of Quetzalcoatl,” Harry answered in their language, baring his chest and the tattoo that still glowed brightly. “I am keeping the monster chained,” he growled, “but my patience runs thin.”

“Let them enter,” a familiar arrogant voice commanded. “He is your Prince and he has returned to deliver us from this evil.”

The Warriors parted and Harry was soon face to face with his old rival, Tlaloc.

“You have changed,” Tlaloc commented, looking him up and down critically.

“You have not,” Harry said coolly. His expression mirrored Tlaloc’s, but his lips twitched dangerously.

Seeing this, Tlaloc broke out in a grin, an action that seemed wrong on his face somehow. He laughed loudly, making Harry relax a bit. By the same token, Harry could feel the others in his company breathing a sigh of relief as well.

“My brother has returned!” Tlaloc exclaimed happily, slapping him on the back. Then, turning to Stephen, he did the same. “The great warriors have returned to save us from this misery! Praise the Gods!”

Hermione and Ron jumped in fright as the warriors let out loud whoops of joy. Harry had forgotten that they couldn’t understand Nahuatl and vowed to get Stephen to perform the translation charm on them as soon as possible.

He bowed to Tlaloc and his men as a show of respect. “I am truly sorry for any trouble I may have caused. If I had known my actions concerning the Imacaci would have this effect, I would never have done it. Please forgive me, and accept my assurances that we are here as friends and brothers to help rid your people of this curse.”

He was embarrassed when the warriors bent down on one knee to honour him, including Tlaloc.

“It is we, Prince, who ask your forgiveness,” Tlaloc said humbly. “Some doubted whether you would return. We do not deserve your pity. We lost faith in our Prince and the prophecy that foretold these events. That is our mistake.”

“Please,” Harry implored, “please, get up. There isn’t time for this. We must speak to Tecuhtl as soon as possible.”

Tlaloc and his men rose to their feet. “Our leader is ill,” Tlaloc said gravely. “He is dying. But I will gladly take you to him. Maybe there is something you can do to help him.”

Harry looked at Stephen who nodded his head in agreement. “All right,” Harry agreed. “I can try, but I make no promises.” He turned and filled in Ron and Hermione on what had transpired.

“Be careful, Harry,” Hermione warned him looking at the warriors with suspicion. One of them was curiously trying to get a better look at Ron’s red hair. “I don’t like this.”

“I know, Hermione, but it’s a better reception than I expected,” he told her. “Just stay close to me and try to look confident. You too, Ron.”

In response, Ron growled at the curious native who was examining his hair and gave him a fierce look that clearly said ‘back off’. The warrior jumped and backed away.

“How’s that for confidence?” Ron asked Harry.

“It’ll do,” he answered, rolling his eyes. “Let’s go.”

He moved forward and his group moved to follow him with Ginny, but the warriors blocked their way.

“Only you, Quetzalcoatl,” Tlaloc said tightly. “Your brother Xolotl may come as well, if he chooses, and the Mixtec woman. But the others must stay here.”

Harry shook his head, trying to control his anger. “They are my family and closest confidants. Where I go, they go.”

“Then you stay, too,” he said stubbornly.

“You must not give in to him on this,” Macoa advised. “If you submit, he will think you are weak. Prove to him and the others that you are a force to be reckoned with and show them why you demand their respect.”

The men regarded the snake and her hissing with fear and tightened their hold on their spears.

Harry hardened his resolve then waved his hand, making one of the walls disappear. Outside the storm surrounding the Temple was still snapping furiously at the white walls of clouds created by Harry’s wind elements. All was quiet inside the bubble, but outside it the wind howled violently.

“Do not try my patience, Tlaloc,” he said evenly. “I have come to offer my help, not to be treated with disrespect. Where I go, they go. The girl is not sick — she has merely been cursed by an ancient artefact from your people, the Cochicoatl. I need the healer to help me remove the curse in order to save her life. In exchange for that, I will save your people from this Evil.”

The warriors looked out on the storm in fear and Harry could hear them murmuring amongst themselves as he looked on placidly. Tlaloc did not join in the conversations going on around him, but stared at him with narrowed eyes. Finally he seemed to come to a decision.

“Forgive my impertinence, Prince,” he said with a small bow of his head. “Of course they may pass.”

“Thank you, Tlaloc,” he said, waving his hand and replacing the wall. “That was a wise decision.”

Harry charmed the stretcher to follow along beside them as they walked and made a point to stay close to Ginny. It just made him feel better to be near her.

As they walked, Stephen, who was walking behind him, whispered in English, “Well played, Harry. I couldn’t have done it better myself.” Harry noticed with amusement that he didn’t get too close to him, however, because Macoa was still draped around his neck.

“What was the problem?” Hermione whispered to them from her position on the other side of the stretcher. She was walking in front parallel to Harry and Ron was behind her parallel to Stephen. Chuen took up the rear and the warriors formed a circle all around them with Tlaloc in the lead.

“They didn’t want to let you and Ron pass with Ginny,” Harry told her in a hushed voice. “It may be because you’re an outsider and haven’t earned their trust yet, or it may be that they fear Ginny’s condition. Tlaloc, in particular, harbours bad feelings towards outsiders because of the Spaniards. Apparently, they brought diseases with them that killed a huge number of people from the three civilizations that make up the Mixtec people — although I’m sure you already know that. Bottom line is that he tried to assert his dominance by insisting that you three stay behind. Macoa advised me to make certain I let him know who’s in charge. That’s why I gave them a peek outside — to show them that I’m in control and they need to play nice.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow. “I’m impressed. When did you learn to play politics?”

“Everyone grows up, Hermione,” he said seriously, “even me.”

“Yeah, too bad you didn’t learn that lesson sooner,” Ron commented dryly. “It would have saved you a few detentions with Umbridge.”

Harry laughed lightly. “You’re absolutely right, Ron.”

He leaned back and asked Stephen quietly if he would mind placing the translation charm on his friends as soon as it was convenient to do so. It would just make it easier for them rather than having to explain everything that was said all the time. To his surprise, Stephen had some reservations about that.

“Our position here is critical, Quetzal,” Stephen said quietly in his left ear so that Ron and Hermione couldn’t hear. “You have to appear as if you are in charge, and act accordingly. Any little thing could discredit your authority and turn the tide in favour of the Mixtecs. Remember, they have numbers on their side. If Ron or Hermione happened to say the wrong thing, it could hurt us. For now I think its better that they not communicate with anyone other than us. The only Mixtecs who understand any English at all are Chuen, Masaya, and Chac. Masaya is fluent in the language. Her father had her learn English to please her future husband, whom she had been promised to — as you well know.”

Harry shuddered, recalling how he had dodged that bullet. “Yes, I remember very well, thank you.”

“Chac took an early interest in learning the language but quickly became bored with it,” Stephen continued. “He knows some English, but not enough to translate. Masaya, however, does. So let the others know to be careful of what they say, especially around her.”

Harry nodded. “Is there a spell that could allow them to understand the language but not be able to speak it?” he asked.

Stephen thought for a moment, seeming to sift his memory for such as spell. “I don’t recall,” he said finally, shaking his head, “but Hermione might know. I loaned her a book on travel charms after she expressed an interest in the translation charm. That was months ago so I doubt she’d even remember, but it’s worth a try.”

“If anyone would remember,” Harry said confidently, “it’s Hermione.”

He turned and quietly relayed his and Stephen’s conversation to the other two.

“Harry, that’s brilliant!” Hermione exclaimed quietly. “In all the excitement I had forgotten about that charm. It’s called the Eavesdropper Spell. It’s not at all complicated to do in theory if I remember correctly, but I’ve never tried it.”

“Well, now would be a perfect time to try it out,” Harry told her. “Just don’t make it obvious that you’re doing anything magical — wordless would be best. I don’t want to ruin our advantage, or make the warriors nervous.”

She cast a side-long glance at one of the ferocious looking men accompanying them. “I agree,” she whispered with a worried expression on her face.

Noticing her unease, Harry tried to reassure her. “Don’t worry, Hermione. I’ve got this under control. I can’t explain it but I feel… different. This island does something to me. It makes me believe like I can do anything.”

“So I’ve noticed,” she said with admiration. For some reason Hermione’s approval made him feel even more confident.

They came to a part of the temple Harry had never been to before. The corridor where they had been walking had led to a staircase that descended down into the lower levels of the pyramid. Harry could see villagers milling about and doing business, children running around and tossing balls, even some animals. It seemed as if the temple had expanded to accommodate the entire population of the island. The ceiling was charmed to seem like daylight, and it was bright and sunny and warm with a slight breeze.

The further they walked the more attention they gathered. Most seemed curious, but a few were obviously angry and had to be restrained by other villagers, or in some cases the warriors that acted as their guards. Harry’s protectiveness kicked in as the crowd became more and more rowdy. He silently cast a Bubble Charm Shield around his friends and himself to protect them from possible magical attacks.

‘Tlaloc and Chuen weren’t lying,” he told Macoa. “They really are angry. They blame me for all this, and maybe they’re right. Maybe I never should have gotten involved.”

“They are frightened,”
Macoa answered. “You musst show them that you are here to help. Be sstrong, Princce. You need their asssisstancce to cure your Princesss.”

Harry knew she was right.

The further they walked the more rowdy the crowd got. At some point someone in the crowd decided to throw rotten fruit at the group, but luckily Harry’s foresight caused the carnage to bounce off his shield without inconveniencing the people inside. The warriors around them however got pelted by the onslaught and looked even more annoyed and angry. Harry felt sorry for them but his main responsibility was to protect his friends, so he tried to ignore the chaos and focus on what he was going to do once they reached the chief.

They finally reached the interior palace doors which were guarded by another group of warriors. Tlaloc spoke to the one in charge and he opened the gate for the group to go inside, away from the rioting crowd. Once the doors were shut, Harry removed the Bubble Shield and waved his hand to clean up the warriors who had been covered in rotting fruit.

“Well, that was fun,” Stephen said dryly in English. To Tlaloc he said in Nahuatl, “Thank you for the escort, friend.”

“I apologize for the people, Prince,” Tlaloc said with an obedient yet arrogant bow. “They do not yet understand your power. I will see that word is spread that you are here to help, not cause more problems.”

Harry bowed back, making sure that his bow was not lower than Tlaloc’s. “Thank you, Tlaloc. I would greatly appreciate that. I also need to see the most skilled teopati you have available.”

“That will not be a problem,” Tlaloc answered grimly. “He is being housed close by to treat Chief Tecuhtl day and night. I will inform him that you wish to consult with him concerning your companion.”

He turned to leave, but Harry stopped him with a hand on his shoulder. “Just so you know, Tlaloc. She is more than my companion — she is the other half of my soul. We share a connection so deep that the heavens have foretold of its power and rejoice in it. I trust you to see that she gets the care of someone of my status since, technically, she is your Princess. The man with the red hair is her brother, my brother-in-law, and the woman with us is his future wife, my soon to be sister-in-law. They are my closest friends. Please treat them with the same respect you would show me.”

The expression on his face changed as he looked down at Ginny. It was softer and full of compassion with a bit of reverence. “I will attend to this personally, my friend,” he assured Harry.

“If you do not mind,” Stephen said, “I’d like to accompany you. I have a matter I’d like to discuss with you in private.”

“Very well.” He turned to one of his men. “See that the others are made comfortable until my return. I will inform the chief and his council members that you are here.” He glanced at Harry meaningfully as he said, “I am also certain that my wife and her brother will want to greet our guests, so please find them and pass on the good news that our Prince has returned.”

Harry grinned. “Congratulations.”

He bowed in response and then was gone.

Harry turned to Ron and Hermione. “Did you do the spell?” he asked in English.

Hermione nodded. “I caught that entire last bit. Did you, Ron?”

He nodded too. “Crystal clear. Thanks for sticking up for us Harry.”

“You’d do the same for me,” he replied.

“So his wife… is she the one they wanted you to marry?” Hermione asked.

“I am,” a voice said from behind them. They spun around to see Masaya, her long dark hair braided hair hanging over one shoulder, dressed in a simple but elegant sarong. She looked a bit paler than she had last summer but no less beautiful, and she was pregnant.

“I suppose I should congratulate you as well,” Harry told her in English with a smile. “You and Tlaloc wasted no time I see.”

“Thanks to you,” she said with a bow. “It was your gift that made it possible.” She turned to Hermione and extended her hand. “I am called Masaya. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Hermione returned her handshake. “And you as well,” she said politely.

Masaya looked her up and down critically much in the same way Tlaloc had done Harry. She seemed to be searching out every flaw, comparing her beauty to Hermione’s. “You are very beautiful,” she said in a resigned voice. “I see now why our Prince was distracted.”

Hermione blushed at the compliment but shook her head vigorously. “No, no, no… Harry and I are not a couple. Ron is my boyfriend,” she said, pulling him to her.

Ron extended his hand politely. “I’m Ron Weasley. My sister, Ginny, is Harry’s girlfriend.”

Masaya ignored his outstretched hand and turned in the direction Ron had indicated. Her eyes widened when she saw Ginny laying pale and motionless on the portable. She looked up at Harry gravely. “Is she…?”

“No,” he said, frowning. He had forgotten how rude Masaya could be, and it seemed Ron and Hermione were both getting a dose of it from the haughty princess. “She was cursed by my enemy, the one you call Tezcatlipoca. He used an artefact that Xolotl took back to his employer, one of my enemy’s loyal followers. The Cochicoatl did this to her.”

“A most dangerous object,” she said with a sniff. “My father was glad to be rid of it.”

Harry’s temper flared. “That object hurt the woman I love.”

“That is not the fault of my father,” Masaya said coolly. “You should take that matter up with Xolotl. The Cochicoatl was given into his care.”

“Harry and I have already discussed my reasoning for letting it go,” Stephen’s voice rang out, taking them all by surprise. He had returned with Tlaloc and they weren’t alone. Another man was with them. His grey-white hair stood out against his dark skin and eyes. Although he looked ancient, his body still appeared sturdy — he was not stooped like some old men, but stood straight shouldered and tall, dressed in the garb of the island priests and healers. “We are here to fix the results of my mistake and cure the girl,” Stephen continued. “In exchange for your people’s help in this matter, we will see that the Evil is banished from your island.”

“How can you do that?” she said doubtfully. “Do you think we haven’t tried everything? Our priests and elders have been searching every ancient text we have to find a solution. So far they have failed. My father lies dying from one of those failed attempts.”

Harry switched to Nahuatl as he said, “They failed because I am the solution, and I do not reside in the ancient texts.”

She turned a questioning gaze on him.

“It is true,” Tlaloc told her. “Even now he is keeping the Darkness at bay. My warriors and I have seen with our own eyes the power of Quetzalcoatl. Our Prince has harness the Darkness around the Temple and is holding it back. He promises to rid us of this Evil if we help him lift the curse of the Cochicoatl from the woman.”

“Citlali is here to examine Ginny,” Stephen told Harry. “I’ve already explained what happened, and he understands about the hatchling — although he has never heard of such a thing before. He’s agreed to take a look at her and see what he can do.”

“Do you think you can help her?” he asked the teopati.

“I will do my best,” he answered hesitantly. “But the antidote is difficult to make and it requires a sacrifice on the part of the enemy in the form of blood in order for it to take effect.”

Harry nodded. “My friend Macoa explained about the blood sacrifice, but she didn’t know exactly how much was required.”

He locked eyes with Harry. “By blood, we mean life. You exchange your life for hers.”

“What!?” Stephen exclaimed. Chuen, who had remained silent the entire time they had been inside the inner chambers of the chief’s quarters, cried out as well.

Harry looked down at Ginny, knowing that he couldn’t let her die. If he had to sacrifice his life to save hers, then so be it.

“I’ll do it,” he said firmly. “Just tell me what I have to do. I won’t let her die, not when she has a chance to live. My life would be worthless without her anyway.”

“Harry, you can’t do this,” Stephen said desperately. “I won’t let you. You’re too important to the cause… too many people are relying on you. Think about it… Who’s going to fight Voldemort if you do this?”

Harry hesitated because Stephen had a point. Still, he knew in his heart that his decision wasn’t up for debate. “She’ll do it,” he said confidently. “And you will, Stephen. And Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore — you’ll all fight him, and keep fighting him. He can’t win in the face of such loyalty and I’ll never be truly gone so long as she lives. We’re connected forever, even unto death.”

He looked over at his friends who seemed to be trying desperately to hold back their protests. He knew they had understood every word of what had just taken place but didn’t want the Mixtecs to realize they’d heard. He was glad they were keeping their silence for now, but he knew he’d hear an earful later.

“If you’re connection is so strong then let her go, Harry,” Stephen begged. “You can’t throw your life away like this — it won’t help Ginny in the long run. You didn’t see what she was like while you were gone. She was a shell of a person, barely able to function. She won’t be able to make it without you.”

“She’s strong,” he said stubbornly. “She’ll be okay.” He turned back to Citlali. “Get everything ready. I’ll deal with the Darkness outside first, then I’ll be back to take care of curing Ginny.”

He nodded solemnly. “I will see to it, Prince.”

“I promised Tlaloc I’d see Tecuhtl,” he told Masaya. “I’d like to do that before I go.”

She nodded. “I will go see that he is prepared for visitors.” Turning, she disappeared into the back recesses of her father’s chambers.

The moment she had gone and the others drifted away out of earshot Ron and Hermione exploded.

“You can’t do this, Harry,” Hermione pleaded. “It isn’t right.”

“Ginny wouldn’t want this, mate,” Ron agreed.

“Trust me on this,” he told them. “I know it’s what I have to do.”

“I don’t like it,” Hermione said, tears coming to her eyes. “After everything we’ve been through, it can’t end this way.”

“A wise man once told me that death is just the next great adventure,” Harry said quietly. “Life doesn’t end here… I’ve talked to my parents and Sirius. I have to believe that it’ll all turn out right in the end.”

“I still say that Ginny is going to kill us if we let you do this,” Ron insisted. “She’ll never forgive us. Never.”

“She’ll understand,” Harry said confidently. “She’d do the same for me.”

“But she wouldn’t want you doing it for her,” Ron countered. “She knows how important you are to ending the war.”

“Voldemort’s coming here, Ron,” Harry told him. “Everything the prophecy has said about me and him has come true. It says that ‘the child of Lightning and Thunder’ — that’s me, right?” he asked. Hermione nodded. “Then it says I’ll ‘restore hope to the people’, and they will in turn ‘save my soul’. My soul is Ginny.”

“So where does V-Voldemort fit in?” Ron asked, stumbling over the name but managing to get it out.

“The prophecy goes on to say ‘at that time, the Chosen will fight the Evil One in the Eye of Heaven and Hell for control of the world’. It doesn’t say I will do it… just ‘the Chosen’. That doesn’t necessarily mean me, does it?”

Stephen, who had been listening to the entire conversation jumped in, excitedly. “Is also says that ‘Ehecailacozcatl will live again,’ correct? You carry Ehecailacozcatl on your chest.” They’re eyes all roamed to the tattoo that was barely visible under his half opened shirt.

“That’s true,” Harry admitted. “I had forgotten about that part.”

“What about the other prophecy?” Hermione asked Stephen. “How does that fit in, do you think?”

“What other prophecy?” Harry asked.

She dug around in her pocket and produced another scroll. “We worked out the first bits which have already taken place. But it’s the last part that’s always puzzled me.” She opened the scroll and read. “To save his soul he will return to the Temple of the Gods, bringing the Serpent with him. There the final battle will take place. A sacrifice will be made, a spell will be cast, and the Serpent shall be defeated.

“See, I was right.” Harry said with satisfaction. “Voldemort is coming. I feel it. And it says that he will be defeated, but it doesn’t say how. It doesn’t specifically say that I’ll be the one to do it.”

“So long as V-Voldemort is the Serpent the prophecy is speaking of…” Hermione pointed out.

“He is,” Harry said confidently. “Trust me, he is.”

“But you’re the one with the ‘power to vanquish the Dark Lord,’ remember?” Stephen said. “That’s what started this whole mess. It’s why my son was targeted and murdered, why your parents were killed… You alone have that power.”

Harry looked at Stephen, unflinching. “Sometimes you have to draw a hard line and do the right thing, even if it isn’t the easiest choice. Isn’t that right, Stephen?”

He didn’t answer.

“Nothing you’ve said has convinced me that I’m making the wrong decision. It says I’ll save the island from this Darkness, and I will. It says I have the power to defeat him, but it never says that we’ll have fight to the death in order for me to do it. I have his Horcrux inside me and I have to get rid of it before he can be killed. If I sacrifice myself to save Ginny, then that paves the way for someone else to finish him. That’ll be your job, Stephen. You have more right than anyone to kill the bastard. And I’ll be rooting you on the whole way from wherever I am.”

Hermione was crying openly now and so was Chuen. Even Ron and Stephen had suspicious moistness behind their eyelids.

“No,” Hermione said, stamping her foot and sniffling angrily. “I can’t accept this. I won’t.”

“You will,” Harry assured her. “In time you’ll know it was the right decision.”

“My father will see you now, Prince,” Masaya called from the doorway.

“I’ll be right there,” he called back. He squeezed Hermione’s hand. “I have to go. Take care of the others while I’m gone. You’ve always been the sensible one, ‘Mione. Just think about what I said, okay?”

She nodded dumbly.

“Stay here with Ginny, Ron, and Chuen,” he instructed. “I need Stephen to come with me in case I need some backup since he knows this land better than I do. I plan to leave as soon as I see Tecuhtl and we’ll probably be Apparating. As soon as we can, we’ll be back. I’ll tell Masaya and Tlaloc to make you comfortable until then.”

She didn’t say anything as he turned and followed Masaya, Stephen trailing behind. She didn’t try to stop him, either. As he reached the door, however, Ron called out.

“Harry,” he said in a strangled voice. “You… you’re the best friend I’ve ever had. …Be careful out there, mate.”

He looked back at his first and oldest friend, choked with emotion. “I will. Thanks, Ron, for everything.”

Turning away, Harry walked through the open door, Stephen right behind him. He didn’t look back — it was time to face Destiny, and they all knew it.
Reviews 537
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear