Search:

SIYE Time:5:27 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Best Friend Tradition
By littlewonky

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 14
Summary: Coming up, extreme fluff!!! This one goes out to everyone who has ever had a crush on a sibling's friend and to everyone who believes the fairy tale of love.
Hitcount: Story Total: 7261







ChapterPrinter


A/N Thank you to everyone who reviewed Her Every Whim. I vote for Extreme Fluff to be made a warning, right up there with Extreme Language and Dark Fiction. This one's slightly longer, still a one shot though, hope you guys enjoy it.




The Best Friend Tradition
------------------------------ ------------



“It is custom you know…”
“I think he wants to die”
“Naw…he just wants near fatal injuries”

The conversation Harry overheard was weird enough to pique his interest so he stopped and placed an ear at Fred and George’s bedroom door. The first voice had been Lee’s, their best friend, but for some reason he sounded scared of the twins. Harry hadn’t heard the twins angry often but tonight they were unmistakably furious, just as they were that night in Harry’s seventh year when Ginny had gone missing. Just before the war broke out. As memories of that day came flooding back Harry felt all the fear and pain of that night course through him, the raw emotions that fear for Ginny had caused in him. The thought that this might have something to do with her was enough to make him listen harder.

“I am serious guys, it is tradition! And I don’t see why you guys are so upset about it, think about it…you know me…I’m your best friend…I am a good human being…and I can be family…”, Lee’s desperate voice cried out. He jumped from argument to argument looking for something to convince the twins with.

“So you’re saying that you….fancy….our baby sister”
“And we should be okay with it because we know exactly HOW your mind works”
“Not a winning argument”
“Unless death is victory”

Though Harry couldn’t see them he heard Lee shuffle his feet as though taking a more placatory stance. Harry empathized with the twins, if anything he was wondering why they hadn’t hexed Lee already. Lee Jordan was a well known as a ladies’ man. At 26 he was one of the most well known Quidditch commentators and had lucrative contracts with the Wizarding Wireless Network for live match commentary. He was rich and single, but what irked Harry more was that he was suave and charming and undeniably witty, something that ensured that the women fell prey to his every desire.

“Listen, Fred…George…I know I have a reputation…so do you guys, but does that make you any less suitable for marriage? Come on Fred, if that were so Alicia would’ve thrown you out on the road without a wand to summon the knight bus with. George, what did you promise Angelina when you proposed to her? That no matter what you may have done in your life so far, to you marriage and love were as sacred as God…These were our lines, the things we reminded ourselves after one night stands, the TRUTH of our brotherhood. I am your best friend, like I said, it is an age old custom, there is no one better for your sister than your best friend…I’ve been crazy about Ginny ever since she saved me life from that psychotic fan! It’s been two weeks of pure bitter sweet misery…Believe me when I say that I promise to love and honour your sister for the rest of our lives….if she will have me”.

Harry’s mind was numb. He was going to propose to Ginny! Harry’s last hope was that Fred and George would hex Lee and ban him from the Burrow till doomsday but that hope was fast fading. He vaguely heard Fred and George mutter something sentimental about the brotherhood, whatever that was. They were going to help Lee win over Ginny. Best friends and little sisters! What warped logic was that, besides Ginny had six brothers, why should Fred and George get to choose their best friend? He was a best friend too, he was Ron’s and Ginny’s best friend and he was family. With inconsequential thoughts racing through his head Harry walked down the stairs towards the kitchen.

“Good morning”, said the bright and unnecessarily chirpy voice of Hermione. Harry had forgotten she would be here, it was the weekend after all. Ever since they graduated from Hogwarts it was customary for the entire clan, all the Weasley’s and their wives, Hermione (who was engaged to Ron) and Harry to congregate at the burrow for Sunday lunch. Harry, Ron and Ginny were all top Aurors with the ministry and rarely knew whether they would get Sunday’s free so they made a tradition of their own. Every Friday after working hours they apparated to the Burrow looking forward to a weekend of home cooked meals and heartwarming mothering. Hermione and Ron miraculously found a lot time to spend together (including some weekends) so never considered compromising on the Sunday ritual. Hermione, a scientist with the Muggle and Wizarding Scientific Liaison Department (MWSL) would wind up most of her work by Saturday night and apparate to the Burrow early Sunday morning to have breakfast with the gang before everyone arrived.

“Morning”, replied Harry is a gruff grumpy voice.

“My aren’t we cheerful today! What happened? Got called back for work? Wrong side of the bed? Or did Ginny pull a another prank on you…” At the mention of Ginny’s name, Hermione noticed Harry’s eyes gleam and smiled to herself. So that was it, she thought. Harry and Ginny had gotten into a who-can-out-trick-whom competition ever since their sixth year, it had started out as Ginny’s way of helping Harry with depression by appealing to his competitive and fun loving albeit absent steak. Over the years Ginny encouraged Harry to go out and meet new people, make new friends and she had even become his dating counselor, the one who approved of the women he went out with. Harry apparently was supposed to do the same, but Hermione knew he never really approved of any of her dates. At some level both of them knew that meeting other people was just a bid for time, an aberration before they came together and made their final commitment to each other. The war hadn’t given them time to be teenagers and they were working soon after. Ginny had confided in Hermione that she felt Harry needed to be carefree and more importantly commitment free. So they never said the words and over time the words became part of their subconscious, there but not quite. But ever since her engagement she and Ron were thinking of ways to get the two of them together, but being obvious about it was never a good idea.

“Ginny? She’s still sleeping, we got in late last night, Kingsley had us all out some stupid night watch for some Dark Activity”

“Dark activity? Like Death Eaters?”

“No! Turned out to be some young punks selling jinxed stuff as ‘relics of the dark days’. Nothing remotely dangerous!”

“Then why the resurrection of the grump-look?”

“Err…”, Harry considered saying his patent nothing, but figured Hermione would help clarify his thoughts so he launched into his explanation of what he had heard. Had Harry looked up from the floor he would’ve noticing Hermione battling between and smirk and an expression of sympathy.

“Lee likes Gin? Are you sure?”

“Yeah! He’s going to propose to her and Fred and George are going to help him”

“Oh! It makes perfect sense!!!”

“What?”

“Harry! Remember what you told me the night Ron aked me out?”

Harry did, all too clearly and his words filled with him dread as he whispered them out. “Who better for my sister than my best friend”.

“Precisely! Oh Harry! This is wonderful, it’s like those muggle movies, childhood friends, big brother’s friends ooooo it’s just wonderful…so romantic”.

If Harry was disgusted by Hermione’s unusually girly behavior, he decided not to let it show. Besides he had an argument ready.

“Are you insane? Why should Ginny go out with someone just because it’s a stupid romantic custom”, okay Harry thought, that was a losing argument, so he changed gears. “She had SIX brothers, all of them have best friends? Why Lee? Why not Gavin or Drew? Or Charlie’s Bill’s friend Anton, he’s a best selling novelist!. Why not me? I’m Ron’s best friend too?”.

“Oh Harry! But Lee’s in love with her and you’re not”

“Ofcourse I bloody well am!”, he said, practically shouting as loud as he could without waking up the household. Hermione’s hand flew to her mouth, more to cover her satisfied grin than her shock as Harry thought.

“You …love…Ginny? But…but Harry, all this time, you never said anything”

“I know! I was scared okay! She kept throwing me at other women so I thought maybe she didn’t feel the same way…and every time I wanted to say something there was new guy on the scene. The time was never right! And now the bloody master planners are going to get her hooked with Lee and I’ll…”

Now Hermione was truly shocked, she had no idea Harry was aware of his feelings for Ginny. She (and even Ginny) had always figured that Harry, like Ron, knew how he felt but only in some unfathomable tucked away corner of his mind.

Before she could say anything, Mrs Weasley came into the kitchen and gave Hermione a big hug. “Good morning dear. Harry you’re up! The twins are here, with Lee, they came in for breakfast. I better get started”.

Hermione and Harry offered to help her, but were shooed away and found themselves outside Ginny’s room. Hermione ushered him in and before he could react she ran to his and Ron’s room. “Don’t come, it will be more embarrassing than watching your lady love sleep”, with a cheeky grin and a last laugh she shut the door behind him.
Harry looked around, but Ginny wasn’t in bed, neither was she in the room. He figured she might have gone to brush up and walked out towards the twins’ room unsure of what to do in Lee’s presence. But all his thoughts were wiped clean as soon as he entered the room because the first thing he saw was Ginny, still in her pajamas…sitting on Lee’s lap!

“Lee Jordon! Let me go!”

“Aww, little one…you love being tickled”

“Hahahahaha, Lee. You monster! Fred George Help!!!”

“Auror Ginny Weasley asks us mere pranksters for help”
“The one who slayed the Dark Lord’s sidekick”
“The one who keeps Harry Potter in line”
“The one who keeps US in line”
“She can handle this on her own”
“The maternal cord pulls us to our mother”
“Off we go”

With that the twins apparated out of the room. Harry couldn’t believe it, they had actually left Ginny alone in a room with Lee! What were they thinking? And why does Ginny have to look like Christmas came early this year.

“Lookie, it’s Harry Potter, here to save Ginny from the evil clutches of The Lee-Man”, hollered Lee in a mock commentary tone. Ginny looked at Harry’s expression and giggled harder.

“Er…I…”

“Good morning is always a safe thing to say,” said Lee as he helped a giggling Ginny off his lap. Harry watched in silence as she kissed his cheek and walked out of the room, stopping to wish Harry a good morning.

“Just what do you think you’re playing at Lee?”, said Harry, with barley controlled fury.

“What do you mean Potter?”

“You know very well what I mean. You may have convinced the twins that your intentions are honest but I know you better than that. Stay away from her.
Stay away from Ginny.”

“Who the hell are you tell me what to do? I doubt Ginny will appreciate your making decisions for her”

“She is my best friend and if you hurt one hair on her head I will make you sorrier that the last death eater in Azkaban”. Lee’s expression faltered but he held his chin up in defiance quaking inwardly at the cold fury emanating from Harry.


---------------------**************** --------------------------------------

The lunch was a nightmare for Harry and he felt he could do anything for a shot of those happy drugs he had confiscated from a bunch of teenagers the other day. Even as he thought it he dismissed the idea, Harry opposed any kind of drugs as a personal rule. A he lay his head on the back of the sofa, using the excuse of putting Bill’s newborn baby, Isis, to sleep, as he gathered his thoughts. Ron came in and sat next to him and stretched out.

“So. What do you think?”

“What about?”

“Lee and Ginny”

“What about them?”

“According to Fred and George he’s the perfect man”

“Careful Ron. If Ginny hears you endorse a suitor she’ll hex you into tomorrow”

“True! But look at them, they’ve spent all day together. It’s cute really”

Harry groaned inwardly, cute! He hated that word, all morning Lee had been harping on about how ‘cute’ Ginny was the first time he had seen her. Ginny in pigtails, Ginny at 8, Ginny playing quidditch, blah blah! And Ginny was lapping it all up, well to be fair, Ginny always took teasing in good fun and she really had no reason to think of this as anything but that. What really bothered Harry was the conversations he had overheard, Bill and Fleur discussing the “tradition”, Charlie muttering something about “if not Gavin”, Bill and Percy discussing the logical inevitability of it, considering the “tradition” ofcourse. They made matters worse by saying something about a double coup, the fact that Ginny saved Lee’s life. Harry couldn’t understand this over night metamorphosis, how come no one mentioned it before, why does everyone think Ginny will follow tradition.

“Ummm Ron, you think Gin likes Lee? I mean. She’s never really said anything to me. Has she spoken to Hermione?”

“I don’t know mate, Hermione hasn’t said anything to me. She wouldn’t even if she knew. As for Ginny, I don’t know…but look at Charlie and Fiona, you know Fiona’s Gavin’s sister…you knew that right. Harry? Mate, are you okay. You look sick.”

Harry couldn’t believe it, all this time he spent waiting for the perfect moment the only security he had was the fact Ginny never took any of her boy friend’s home. No one was important enough to meet the family. But now, he couldn’t help but notice how at-home Lee was, and perverse logic even convinced him that Ginny looked perfect with Lee. Another illusion shattered, the whole time he spent thinking he and Ginny belonged together it all seemed presumptuous. He looked back at everything he and Ginny shared, the pranks, the humour, the understanding and the anger, they were best friends and Harry always thought that when the time was right they would become lovers too.

“I’m fine Ron, I need to…think”

Ron decided to find his voice of reason and went of to look for Hermione. A few minutes later she led Harry into the kitchen with a somber expression.

“What’s up Harry?”

“I don’t know Hermione. What if I’m too late, what if I was wrong in waiting so long?”

“You think Ginny likes Lee?”

“I don’t know, I always figured we would…when the time was right.”

“Harry, do you think Ginny likes Lee?”

“I don’t know! It’s tradition isn’t it. Everyone else seems to be happy about it and Lee’s great with women. If he truly loves Ginny…”

“Harry, I’m going to say this once and then pretend you thought of all this on your own. Firstly, Ginny is not going to fall in love with Lee just because he loves her, that’s not how it works. If you think they belong together just because her family likes him, then YOU, of all people, have no problem at all. Finally, when you love someone and don’t tell them how you feel you are being selfish. It’s up to her to decide if the time is right Harry, she won’t know how you feel if you don’t tell her and if she doesn’t know she can’t tell you how she feels.”

Harry wasn’t sure what Hermione meant, except the fact that he should confess his feelings to Ginny. But what about the tradition. Hermione was walking out of the kitchen when she stopped and turned to stare him down.

“Another thing Harry, this tradition, it applies to you too. But if it still bothers you, there’s another, more powerful tradition you have in your favour. Figure it out and go for the jugular.”

----------------------------- ---------**************************----- --------------------------

Two hours later Harry walked out into the garden and looked around for Ginny and wasn’t really surprised when he saw her sitting with Lee and Mr Weasley. Strengthening his resolve he walked up to Ginny.

“Ginny, could I speak to you for a moment?”

“Harry, are you okay? I haven’t seen you outside for a while. Harry. What’s wrong?”, said Ginny as she took in his closed expression.

“I need to speak to you alone Gin”, he said, sparing an apologetic glance at Mr Weasley and a glare at his new nemesis.

Ginny walked with Harry into the kitchen, but Harry kept looking at the floor instead of talking to her.

“Harry?”, she said as worry laced her voice.

“Do you, Ginny I…has Lee spoken to you about…”

“Oh that!”, she laughed. “Yeah, he’s said little else all evening! But why is Lee’s love life bothering you so much?”

“Why?”

“It was inevitable Harry, really. Don’t tell me you didn’t see it coming?”

“You mean the tradition? I guess. That’s one way to see it.”

“Ginny! You can’t love someone just because it’s tradition”.

“No Harry, you can’t, but that’s the magic of love. It fits every tradition.”

“ I am your brother’s best friend too…”

“What do Katie and Lee have to do with…” but Harry didn’t hear her as he continued.

“I’ve been waiting for years for that one right moment, for some sign from God that I should tell you how I feel. And then this blabbering chatterbox comes along and starts going on about how best friends and little sisters belong together…This is not how I planned to tell you Gin, I had a thousand different ideas and a conversation in your kitchen on a Sunday afternoon was not one of them. But…I’ll be damned if I let you go without a fight. Ginny, let me finish okay. I love you, and if it’s about tradition. Then I am Ron’s best friend, one. Two. You saved my life. Three. You’re my best friend Gin and that’s something Lee can never stake claim to…and best friends belong together”

Ginny had stopped trying to figure out why Lee figured incessantly in Harry’s speech as the fact that he was actually proposing to her wrapped itself around her brain. She wanted to hug him, kiss him, snog him senseless but years of patience wanted their payment. She needed to have things clear.

“You love me as a best friend?”

“Yes! No! That too but also the way I think my dad loved my mom. The way your dad loves your mom, the love you can see in his eyes every time he looks at one of you because you’ll remind him of everything they share.” Harry had walked up to Ginny and was close enough to feel the warmth that flooded her cheeks.

Ginny whispered almost reverentially, “Love me like you want to kiss me?”

Harry could feel the blood pounding in his ears. He heard the word kiss somewhere in the background but every bit of his being was concentrated on Ginny. Her lips were slightly parted and Harry could feel her breath on his. There was no call for gentleness as they came together, reaching out with love and passion concealed for years.

A long time later they made their way out into the garden, holding hands, grinning like little children. The family stopped whatever they doing and took in their disheveled appearance and attempted to ignore the nasty bruise on Harry’s lip. There was no need for words, everyone had waited a long time for this moment. It was inevitable. It was the one thing above all traditions, the magic of all age; this was love.






A/N There is one thing that brings as much joy as love (ok! maybe not AS much joy) and that is a REVIEW!!!!!
Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear