Search:

SIYE Time:22:37 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Voices
By alyssalina

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 8
Summary: Without Harry around, Ginny finds herself losing track of the sound of his voice.
Hitcount: Story Total: 3654







ChapterPrinter


Voices



It had been months since she had seen his face. More then once in a while Ginny Weasley would find herself thinking of him and when recalling his face, a slight blur would constrict her memories. Panicking, she would pull out the pictures she kept stashed away in her drawer and she would take a good long look at his face, rememorizing every detail, ever feature to insure she wouldn’t forget for a long time.

One day, Ginny was recalling the horrific year that she had her encounter with Tom Riddle and as usual, her thoughts drifted to the boy who had been her savior that year. As she sat on her favorite comfortable chair across from fire, she recalled waking up in the chamber that was quite the opposite. She remembered Harry’s encouraging words assuring her that “It’s all right”. Ginny could recall the exact thing he said perfectly. Every detail except….

Try as she might, Harry’s voice would not come to her. She knew almost everything he had ever said to her, but his occasionally horse voice was lost. Coming to the realization that she could remember his face precisely, but try as she might, she could not recall exactly what he sounded like, Ginny burst into tears.

For what seemed like hours, Ginny sat in the empty common room and bawled. With each tear, she tried harder and harder to remember the sound of his voice. She tried everything. She went over conversations in her head but instead of hearing them she just recalled the words, like cursive on a piece of parchment. She looked at pictures of her beloved friend laughing but no sound came from them.

She picked up a quill to write to someone, anyone and tell them her dilemma. Ginny knew that Hermione would try and rationalize things and try and find a recording or something but the red-head knew that would be of no help and Ron would probably just think she’d gone bonkers and assure her that she was over reacting.

Exasperated Ginny gave up and climbed up the stairs to her dormitory, the tears still falling. She gave a quick glance to check that the other girls were sleeping. She crawled into bed and slowly she cried herself to sleep and found herself dreaming….

Ginny was in the Gryffindor common room sitting across from the fire reading. She looked up as someone suddenly clambered through the portrait hall. Discovering that is was Harry, she smiled and waved. She said her hello’s and looked down at her book again. Hearing no reply she glanced up at him and saw that his mouth was moving but no sound was coming from him. In exasperation she screamed at him to say something. Suddenly he began talking, asking her what was wrong but something wasn’t right. The voice coming out was Ron’s and then Hermione’s and then even Sirius. Ginny broke down and cried while the voices coming from Harry kept asking her what was wrong.

Ginny had tears on her cheeks when she awoke. She crawled out of bed and got ready for the day. Within a few minutes, she was walking down the stairs, out the portrait hole and heading to the library to work on her homework. Once she got there though, her thoughts continued to drift to Harry’s voice, or in this case, lack there of. Her dream still haunted her as she sat trying to finish off her Divination to no avail.

Suddenly, in bounced Ginny’s friend Luna, cheery as usual. She was humming a sweet yet simple tune and when Madame Pinch hissed at her to be quiet she just grinned. Spotting Ginny she hopped over and said Hello.

“Hello” said Ginny.

Luna sat down and then just looked at Ginny expecting her to say something. This wasn’t unusual for her though and tearing around her brain for a conversation started she blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

“Do you ever forget what someone’s voice sounds like?”

“I forget what my mum’s voice sounded like all the time. But then I hum the lullaby she used to sing me and I can remember.” Luna replied.

Ginny thought about how she had already tried to picture Harry saying things she had heard him say and how it didn’t work. She let out a dismayed “oh”.

Luna quickly jumped in and said “But I suppose everyone remembers things differently...”

With that, Luna flashed Ginny her all-knowing smile and skipped out of the hall as if the whole purpose of coming in was to have that short conversation.”

That night, Ginny went to bed early. When she got upstairs she noticed her old teddy bear was sitting upside down on the bed. Charlie had bought it for her when she was quite small. Flipping him over, she smiled with remembrance of how she used to sit up late at night, homesick, having conversations with Alec in her head. Now, the bear assured her that she would remember Harry’s voice eventually.

Don’t worry Ginny, you’ll remember eventually, get some sleep.

The bear’s voice had a familiar feel to it and Ginny crawled into bed and drifted slowly to sleep. She dreamt again but this time it was for the better.

Ginny was at the Burrow the summer before her first year at Hogwarts. She walked into the living room and found her brother Ron with his friend Harry. Petrified and shy, Ginny stood at the door, peering in through a crack and listening. Harry was holding Ginny’s teddy bear Alec and Ron was saying “Oh that’s Ginny’s stupid bear.” Ginny was disgruntled but listened as Harry picked up the bear and…

Ginny awoke with a start but this time, she was smiling. When she was smaller, Harry and Ron had been goofing around and Harry had pretended that Ginny’s bear was talking. He held up the bear and made it dance around while making it say things. At the time Ginny had been defensive that this was completely out of character for her bear, but now she realized that she Alec had indeed adopted a different voice over the years. The voice of Harry. Smiling with the realization that she hadn’t lost his voice at all she hugged the teddy and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

Reviews 8
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear