Search:

SIYE Time:9:00 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


If Only
By Spikora

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 22
Summary: One shot. After his sixth year, Harry needs to tell Ginny something ...
Hitcount: Story Total: 5068







ChapterPrinter


Harry followed Ginny through the barrier, his eyes focused intently on her long red hair. Ron and Hermione were behind him, but he paid them no mind — his focus was entirely on Ginny. He had to tell her … but how? How could he tell her …? It seemed impossible. If only the last two years hadn’t happened, if only he hadn’t been raised by the Dursleys, if only … the “if only”s could fill a book. Not only that, but one of Hermione’s books — with footnotes.

He sighed, and glanced at the Dursleys. They were waiting for him impatiently, and had the almost irresistible urge to run straight back through the barrier. He simply paused, though, looking them over doubtfully.

"Have a good summer, Harry," Ginny said, giving Harry's hand a quick, reassuring squeeze. Harry felt, rather than saw Ron grin behind him.

"Tell her," he whispered to Harry. "It's now or never, mate." And then he was off to spend as much time possible with Hermione before she had to leave. Harry would've been amused, if Ron's words hadn't caused his guy to twist nervously. How do you just tell someone that? It's not like you could just blurt it out - no, that was wrong, Harry told himself; people blurt it out all the time, it's just ... they weren't Harry.

If only he wasn’t Harry …

Ginny went off to join her brothers. "Ginny, wait," Harry stated.

She turned back to look at him, a mildly puzzled expression on her face. "What is it?"

"I ..." How do you say it?! Harry silently asked himself. "I ... I have something to tell you ..."

Well, at least that was better than nothing.

"What is it?" Ginny asked, walking back toward him so that they could talk without having to shout to hear each other.

"It's time to go, boy!" Uncle Vernon yelled. Harry cast the Dursleys a nervous glance.

"Oh, ignore them," Ginny advised, grinning. "They're no fun, anyway."

Harry gave a choked laugh. "Ginny, I ... I need to tell you something."

Ginny looked amused, and slightly worried. "Yes, you already said that."

He grinned nervously, and ran his fingers through hair nervously. "I'm sorry. This ... this might take awhile. It's hard. I mean ... I've never told anyone this before. Ever."

She raised an eyebrow. "Not even Ron?"

"No!" he answered, startled. "I don't ... That is, I’m not … I haven't said this to him, no."

"Boy! NOW!" Uncle Vernon roared. Harry shot him an angry glare. He needed to say this, before it was too late. Even if it probably was already too late …

If only it wasn’t too late.

He looked back at Ginny, slightly frantic now. "I ... I know this is probably a day late and a galleon short, Ginny, but … but I -"

Uncle Vernon was approaching now, his large purple face in a grimace of anger. Harry saw him out of the corner of his eye and had to take a few deep breaths to calm himself down. This was difficult enough already … he had to take Ginny’s advice and ignore him, that’s all.

How could people say this? The words seemed foreign to Harry. The seemed like a language he’d only heard in passing, one he never had to actually understand. But now he did … and he had to do this …

“I — well, I — that is, this year I found out —”

Spit it out, Potter.

It didn’t help that Ginny was watching him, patiently, looking worried. He glanced back at Uncle Vernon. He’d have to say this fast, or else he’d be dragged away and she’s never know … and she should know. After all he’d put her through, he owed her that much.

He took a deep breath.

"- I love you," Harry finished lamely, in a bit of a rush. Impulsively, he leaned forward and he kissed her. She seemed startled, but in no time she was kissing him back, and Harry relaxed a little with relief ... at least she wasn't repulsed by it. Maybe it wasn’t too late. Maybe, maybe, if only, if only … he really needed to stop thinking. How could he think anyway, when Ginny’s lips were on his, and one of her hands was on his cheek while the other was running her fingers through his hair? Her lips against hers felt like heaven, and when he tangled his fingers in her hair he could’ve sworn that he was touching an angel. She was so warm, so full of life and energy. He could feel her smile against his lips, and he smiled too. He never wanted this to end. Somehow he knew it had to, but he couldn’t remember why … all that existed was Ginny and him.

Uncle Vernon grabbed him harshly and hauled him away from Ginny.

Oh. Yeah. That was why.

Harry's head whipped around as he was tugged along to the car - he wanted, no needed, to see Ginny's reaction ...

Uncle Vernon, scowling, shoved Harry into the backseat of the car and slammed the door shut. Harry dimly registered that Dudley wasn’t there — probably at the Polkiss’ — before he twisted in his seat to look out the back window, to try to catch a glimpse of her ...

He saw her almost immediately. She was running forward, fiery hair flowing behind her. She was trying to reach him, even as the car pulled away. As they gained momentum, though, it was obvious that Ginny wouldn't be able to keep up. Even though she was an athletic person, her legs were too short, and she was unused to running. When she stopped, Harry's heart twisted in agony — he wouldn’t see her reaction, he was too late, if only he had said it two seconds sooner … but then it expanded once more, for he could see her mouth form the words which he desperately had wanted her to say:

"I love you, too."

END
Reviews 22
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear