Search:

SIYE Time:17:15 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Sometimes, a Very Long While
By Calliope

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Ron Weasley
Genres: Humor, General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 40
Summary: "You don't watch me." "Well, I'm usually talking to you, so I kind of do." "Not the same way you watch Ginny. You don't look at me for long periods of time when we're not talking." "Yeah, because you're ugly." (Sequel to It Takes a While.)
Hitcount: Story Total: 6159







ChapterPrinter



The tossing and turning was starting to get out of control.

Harry groaned and yanked his pillow out from under his head to cover his ears in hopes of muffling the sounds of Ron’s restlessness coming from the bed across the room. After another moment, though, in which his neck screamed in protest at its new and rather uncomfortable position, it was clear to Harry that this gesture was in vain. He replaced his pillow under his head and hissed, “Ron!”

“Wha?”

“Quit rolling around! It’s been an hour, just go to sleep!”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Dunno.”

Harry held back a snort. “Are you sure?”

“Yep.”

“So this isn’t about Hermione?”

“Huh?”

“That little talk you two had tonight. It seemed pretty important.”

“Oh, that. Nope.”

“Fine then. Go to sleep.”

“I can’t. I’m not tired.”

“Oh.”

There was a silence. Harry had just begun to hope that perhaps Ron had given up on tossing and turning, or even drifted off, when Ron broke the silence again.

“Hey Harry?”

“What?”

“Did you ever like a girl so much it drove you crazy?”

“Are you sure this isn’t about Hermione?”

“Yep.”

“I guess not.”

“How much did you like Cho? You know, before she turned into a puddle.”

Harry hesitated. “Dunno. I don’t have anything to compare it to, really.”

“Not at all?”

This was starting to get irritating. “What I said, didn’t I?”

“You never liked another girl?”

“Er…no.” Harry furrowed his brow at the ceiling. Ron had never wanted to have a conversation like this before. He frequently talked to himself about it while Harry listened to his rants amusedly, but aside from last year’s “Cho updates” girls had never seemed important enough to have a whole conversation about. Harry was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable talking about this with Ron, especially at (Harry checked the clock next to his bed by the weak moonlight floating in the window) one-thirty in the morning.

Ron interrupted Harry’s thoughts again. “Not even Ginny?”

This threw Harry for a loop. “Ginny?”

“Yeah. You know, my sister? That one with the long hair kind of like mine who shares a room with Hermione that there’s always giggles coming out of and hangs around us every so often?”

“Very funny.”

“I thought so.”

“What about Ginny?”

Ron’s voice was quieter now, as if he had suddenly realized they were in a house of presumably sleeping people. “You watch her.”

“What?”

“I said, you watch her.”

“I heard you the first time.”

“Then why’d you-”

“What do you mean, I watch her?”

“Watching. You know, that thing where you eyes are on another person?”

“You’re just a laugh riot tonight.”

“Yep.”

“I still don’t know what you mean.”

Harry heard Ron sigh heavily, and it struck him how odd it was that Ron seemed to be thinking him oblivious. He held back another snort as Ron spoke.

“You always watch her when she walks away.”

“I do not.”

“Oh, you do. And if we’re ever just sitting around not talking and avoiding doing homework and she’s anywhere within eyeshot, you’re looking at her.”

“That’s not true.”

“It is.”

Harry was prepared to protest again when he realized that Ron had a point. Maybe he did sort of make it a habit to know where Ginny was and what she was doing…

“So? She’s pretty noticeable. It’s reasonable my eye would get drawn to her.”

“Her hair’s no brighter than mine, and she’s a lot shorter than me. You don’t watch me.”

“Well, I’m usually talking to you, so I kind of do.”

“Not the same way you watch Ginny. You don’t look at me for long periods of time when we’re not talking.”

“Yeah, because you’re ugly.”

A pillow hit Harry in the face.

“Ow.”

“That didn’t hurt.”

“It could have,” Harry remarked as he tossed the pillow back.

“And what about the twins? You don’t watch them either.”

“The twins don’t go to school with us anymore.”

“Well, when they did go to school with us. And during holidays, they’re always there.”

“I do look at the twins. Everyone looks at the twins.”

“Okay, maybe the twins are a bad example.”

“Or maybe they’re just ugly too.” Harry braced himself for another pillow, but it didn’t come.

“So you think Ginny’s pretty?”

“Did I say that?”

“Oh, you think she’s ugly?”

“Didn’t say that either.”

“Well, what do you think?”

“I think I want to go to sleep.”

“C’mon, Harry.”

“What am I supposed to say?”

“Dunno.”

“Fine then.”

There was silence again. Harry thought he might be able to discern laughter drifting down from the direction of the girls’ room above them.

“Dean’s not right for her.”

“You like Dean.”

“Not that much.”

“That’s news to me.”

“You learn something new every day.”

“This is not day. This is the middle of the night.”

“She should be with someone who gets her.”

“Sure.”

“She should be with someone who will fit in with the whole family.”

“Right.”

“She should be with someone with the same sense of humor.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Like you two have.”

“Abso- wait, what?”

“You two have all those little smiles and laughs all the time, you know.”

“What are you blathering about now?”

“It’s always like you have some sort of private joke that none of the rest of us would get. Whenever one of you catches the other one’s eye and you both grin like something’s so funny…”

“Ron?”

“And you whisper little things in each other’s ear…”

“Ron?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re insane.”

“I can live with that.” Ron finally yawned.

“Go to sleep now.”

“Okay. You sleep too, Harry. It’s late.”

“Right. I don’t know what I’m thinking being up this late.”

“Especially the night before Ginny’s birthday. Big day tomorrow.”

“Right.”

“Night, Harry.”

“Night, Ron.”

Before long, Ron’s soft snores finally filled the room. Harry, however, once again found himself lying awake for a very long time. And if he listened closely, he thought he could hear a familiar giggle through his ceiling.





A/N: Here is the standard "Not mine."

True to the subject matter, this was written very late at night. There will be at least one more story in this series, and perhaps two. It depends.

And here is the standard "Review, please!"
Reviews 40
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear