Search:

SIYE Time:9:43 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Summer of the Serpent
By SSHENRY

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Albus Dumbledore, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood
Genres: Angst, Humor, Drama
Warnings: Sexual Situations, Extreme Language, Dark Fiction
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 111
Summary: WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF SS POTTER! - - - Ginny Weasley survived the Chamber of Secrets, but will she survive the summer suprises and discovery that follows? This is the first in a series. Other works from the world of SS POTTER include LIFE IS BUT A DREAM, TOWARDS TOMORROW and TODAY THE TEMPEST. This story is a dark, fiction and is a prequel to Towards Tomorrow (also being posted on this site)
Hitcount: Story Total: 85728; Chapter Total: 11908







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


CHAPTER NINE

PERENELLE’S LAMENT

 

 

 

 

The welcoming feast was, as magnificent asusual.  Ginny, however, didn’t have much in the way of anappetite.

 

Something had happened. She kept replayingthe incident on the train over and over in her head. She had herproof.  It hadn’t been her imagination.  Ithadn’t been a dream.  She shivered.  But what,exactly, did it mean?

 

The sudden clatter of benches being pushedback as hundreds of students got to their feet pulled Ginny outof her reverie. She made as if to stand, but found a firm hand onher shoulder pinning her to her seat.  It was ProfessorMcGonagall.

 

“Ms. Weasley, Professor Dumbledorewould like to see you in his office before you to  GryffindorTower.  You can follow me.” 

 

Ginny followed the Transfiguration teacherout of the Great Hall, through the milling crowds of students andup to the gargoyle who guarded the entrance to Dumbledore’stower.

 

“Sugar Quill,” said ProfessorMcGonagall.

 

The Gargoyle sprang aside, leeringunpleasantly at her as she passed.  McGonagall directed her ontoa moving spiral staircase and they were lifted slowly upwards. Ginny was forcibly reminded of the escalator she had ridden oncewhen she’d gone with her father on the Muggleunderground.

 

“Come in,” cameDumbledore’s voice when McGonagall rapped sharply on thehandsome oak door.

 

“Ah, yes, Miss Weasley, delighted youcould join me!” said Dumbledore pleasantly.  “Thatwill be all Minerva.”

 

McGonagall turned as if to go.

 

“Oh, Minerva?”

 

“Yes, Albus?”

 

“The Password, so she can get intoGryffindor tower later.”

 

“Happy Hippogriffs,” saidProfessor McGonagall, her lips very thin.

“Was that one ofHagrid’s?” murmured Dumbledore, smiling slightly.

 

Professor McGonagall nodded.

 

“Are you in Care of Magical Creatures,Miss Weasley?” he said, addressing Ginny this time.

 

“Not yet, sir.”

 

“Lucky for you,” said ProfessorMcGonagall cryptically, her lips twitching.

 

“Well, Minerva, we did warnhim.”

 

“As if that would do anygood.”

 

Dumbledore chuckled.

 

“Yes indeed.  I shall be observingthis with interest.  Thank you, Minerva, you may go.”

 

Professor McGonagall left the office,closing the door firmly behind her.

 

“Please, Miss Weasley-”

 

“Ginny.”

 

“Ginny.  Have a seat.”

 

“I take it you survived the search ofthe Hogwarts Express?”

 

Ginny shivered.

 

“I was concerned you see.  In light ofrecent events I thought that it might affect you ratherseverely.”

 

“It effected Harry worse than it didme,” said Ginny shortly.  “He passed out.  He wastwitching and everything.”

 

“Yes.  I received an owl fromProfessor Lupin.  But you were there, Ginny, in the compartmentwith him?”

 

“Yes sir.”

 

“But you didn’t passout.”

 

Ginny shook her head. 

 

Dumbledore surveyed her over the tips of hissteepled fingers for several minutes.

 

“You never cease to amaze me,Ginny,” he said at last.

 

“Sir?”

 

“What you went through — whatTom Riddle put you through — was every bit as bad, if notworse, than what Harry has to remember, and yet you didnot collapse.”

 

“He hears his parents beingkilled,” Ginny said quietly.  “I don’t thinkeven being possessed by Tom could top that.”

 

Dumbledore gave her a piercing look.

 

“He hears his parents beingkilled?”

 

Oh god, what have I done?  Shehadn’t meant to say that!

 

“Well, Dementors make us relieve theworst things that have happened to us, right?  Isn’t thatthe worst that happened to him?  Hearing his parents die?  Itmakes sense that it is what he would hear.”

 

“Hmm.”  Dumbledore watched herfor another minute then sat forward, placing his palms flat onthe desktop.

 

“You have had a chance to read throughyour grandmother’s journal?”

 

“Yes, but there’s a lot Idon’t understand.”

 

“Undoubtedly.  Anythingspecific?”

 

“Well, she speaks of a ‘deep,calming silence.’”

 

“Obtained through deep meditation,yes.”

 

“Well, I’m afraid that thissilence is something I’m having a hard timeachieving.”

 

“Well, I always say thatpractice-”

 

“May not apply in this case.Professor, I may never be able to achieve any sort ofabsolute silence.”

 

Dumbledore looked at her for several minutesand then nodded slowly.

 

“Yes,” he said softly, “Ithought you might run into that little snag.  ‘I seethrough eyes, though not my own’,” he addedquietly.

 

“Sir?”

 

“It is part of poem, Miss Weasley. One I am quite fond of.  I am also fond of stories. Would youcare to hear one?”

 

Ginny nodded.

 

Dumbledore sat back in his chair andbegan.

 

“There was once a very special younglady.  She was beautiful, intelligent, talented and, to top itall off, was quite a powerful witch.  But she was young.  She didnot realize her full potential.  Not many young people doI’m afraid.”

 

Ginny stifled a yawn.  She didn’t wishto appear rude, but what was Dumbledore on about?

 

“This young lady had a brother who wasnot much older than herself.  Like his sister, he was a talentedwizard, but not as talented—nor as powerful- as his bestfriend.”

 

“Her brother’s best friend was apowerful — though inexperienced — wizard.  Besidesthat, he was handsome, intelligent, incredibly brave andextremely kind, even to a young witch such as herself.”

 

“Sometimes she liked to think that hiskindness and thoughtfulness was directed specifically at her, butshe knew — in her heart of hearts — that he only sawher as just his best friend’s little sister.”

 

“In spite of her realism, I am afraidthat she developed a most serious fondness for herbrother’s friend.  I am also afraid that she did not hidethis as well as she should have, for it was common knowledgeamong their families and friends that the young witch had a crushon her brother’s best friend.”

 

Ginny could feel the heat creeping up herneck.  Why did Dumbledore feel it necessary to rub her nose inher obsession with Harry Potter?

 

“Now, it so happened that there was aDark Wizard attempting to gain power.  He recognized the powerand talent of her brother’s friend and knew that he wouldhave to destroy the young man in order to clear his path togaining control of the wizarding and Muggle worlds.”

 

“He decided to use the girl to lurethe young man into a trap.  He knew you see, that though therewas no particular bond between the girl and her brother’sfriend, that the friend was not only brave and kind, but nobleand loyal as well.  He loved his friend you see, and would riskhis life to save him — or anyone close to him.”

 

“What the Dark Wizard was not planningon was the friend walking out of the trap unscathed, havingrescued the girl and cemented his relationship with herbrother.”

 

“Professor-”

 

“Hear me out, Miss Weasley,”said Dumbledore kindly.

 

“What the friend did not realize wasthat in rescuing his friend’s sister, he had not onlycemented his friendship with her brother, but in saving her lifehad formed a bond with the girl. It was a powerfully magicalbond, stronger than most life-debts are, you see, for what he didnot realize — and what the girl had, in herinexperienced way — was that they wereSoulmates.”

 

Ginny swallowed, hard.

 

“The girl — being moreintuitive, as is often the case with women — felt this bondmost acutely. The friend felt it too, but being a young man andnot being as intuitive as the girl, he did not realize what itwas that he was feeling.  For years he dismissed the knowledge ofwhere his heart lay, instead filling his time with manyactivities, amusements and adventures.”

 

“At first the girl despaired of hisever admitting the truth.  She waited, but then — realizingthat he could be years in discovering his destiny — shebegan living her own life, discovering her own talents, strengthsand weaknesses.  In the process she and the young man to whom shewas bound became fast friends.”

 

“And then one day, when the girl hadpractically given up hope and had convinced herself thatfriendship was all she could ever expect from the friend, hediscovered what it was he’d been searching for all along.He discovered her, for it is inevitable, Miss Weasley. Soulmates will end up with each other.”

 

Professor Dumbledore took a piece of ancientlooking parchment from one of his desk drawers and handed it outto her.

 

“Please, Miss Weasley, readthis.”

 

It was a poem written in a flowing, elegant,but old-fashioned hand.

 

I see through eyes,

though not my own.

My thoughts I share

with him alone.

 

My heart is bound,

my soul afire

To be with him

is my desire.

 

At night I toss

and call his name.

I cry his tears

and feel his pain.

 

His name is etched

upon my soul.

Without him

I can not be whole.

 

If death should come

before his time.

It would also end

this life that’smine.

 

What fate has joined,

death can not part.

How could I live

with half a heart?  

 

Ginny looked up, not bothering to hid thetears in her eyes.  It was as if she had written it herself.  Itspoke directly to her heart.

 

“Professor, who . . .” Shecouldn’t go on but stopped and quickly wiped at hertraitorous eyes.

 

“Her name was Perenelle.  The song hasbecome known as Perenelle’s Lament,” said Dumbledoresoftly.  He was looking at Ginny with a fatherly expression. “She wrote this poem when she was fourteen yearsold.”

 

“Perenelle?  Isn’t she theone-”

 

“Who married Nicolas Flamel,yes,” said Dumbledore, smiling.  “He saved her lifewhen she was just thirteen years old.  Theirs is one of the mosthighly publicized — and romanticized — cases forSoulmates on record.  Their ability to read each other’sthoughts and feel each others emotions was legend.”

 

“The poem, it is almost like the storyof Romeo and Juliet, when Juliet expresses how shefeels.”

 

“You read Shakespeare?”

 

“My father, he has quite a collectionof Muggle books.  Shakespeare is one of his favorites.”

 

“To be perfectly honest, Miss Weasley,it is quite possible that Nicolas and Perenelle’s story wasthe basis for Will Shakespeare’s story.  Nicolas was from avery powerful pureblood wizarding family.  She was from anequally powerful non-magical family.  Her family was veryreluctant to admit to her being a witch and wanted her to havenothing to do with the magical world.  His family did not wishfor him to taint their pureblood line by marrying a Muggle-born. Will’s story is very well told, but of course he could nottell the entire tale, not to Muggles at any rate.  But that isnot all, Perenelle is also the Natural Elemental who trained yourgreat-grandmother.”

 

“So that’s why she saidthat she envied my gram,” Ginny murmured.

 

Dumbledore remained silent, waiting.

 

“So there is nothing that can help meclear my mind?” Ginny wondered out loud.

 

“Normally, Miss Weasley, if a studentwere having problems with external penetration — that is tosay that another witch or wizard was attempting to break intotheir mind — I would recommend Occlumency.”

 

“Occlumency?”

 

“Yes.  It is a very ancient, but veryvaluable branch of magic.  However, in cases such as Nicolas andPerenelle, it would not have had any effect.  That, Miss Weasley,is the nature of Soulmates I’m afraid.  They are one soul— one mind — in two physical bodies.”

 

Ginny must have made a face, for Dumbledorechuckled aloud.

 

“You, as so many before you, MissWeasley, are assuming that the mind and the brain areinterchangeable.  Tell me please, if a Dementor performs a kisson a person, does that individual die?”

 

Ginny shook her head.

 

“Exactly.  They just walk aroundempty.  Their body continues to function, and it would not beable to do so without a brain.  The brain controls the motorfunctions after all.  It regulates the nervous system and makesadjustments in the breathing patterns, blood flow and things likethat.”

 

“But the soul, Miss Wesley, the soulis what makes you — you.  Without it you would haveno personality, no individuality.  Without a soul-”

 

“We’d be like them, theDementors I mean,” said Ginny with a shiver.

 

“Yes indeed.  You understand far morethan I realized.”

 

“So, everyone is born with a body, amind and a soul?” asked Ginny while she fingered aglass paperweight on Dumbledore’s desk. 

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well then, how can two individualpeople share one soul?”

 

“That, Miss Weasley, is a subject longstudied by the Department of Mysteries.  Suffice it to say thatit does happen.  For whatever reason, a soul occasionally decidesto split in half and inhabit two separate physical bodiessimultaneously.”

 

“Like twins —only notnecessarily related,” observed Ginny.

 

“Exactly, yes,” said Dumbledore,beaming at her. “When this happens, neither half can trulyrest until it finds and unites with the missing part ofitself.”

 

Ginny sighed heavily.  To her surprise,Dumbledore chuckled.

 

“It can happen instantaneously, it canbe lopsided-one party realizing it and one not for a seeminglylong period of time-or it may take many years, but mark my words,Miss Weasley, Soulmates always end up together.  It isinevitable.  Neither is complete without the other and neitherwill rest until the other is found,” he paused, “oracknowledged.”

 

They sat in silence for several minutesbefore Dumbledore began speaking again.

 

“Now it is true that on occasionSoulmates enjoy a completely platonic relationship,” saidDumbledore comfortably, “but it is usually the case, inthose sorts of circumstances, that the Soulmates in question areeither directly related to each other — brother and sisterperhaps, or twins, or even parent and child.”

 

“Take, for example, the pair of twinsin Ravenclaw that were students when I first began teachingTransfiguration here at Hogwarts.  Their names were Emma andEsther Thomas.  No relation to Mr. Dean Thomas I’m afraid. They were both incredibly intelligent.  Excellent students.  Butthere was no way they could have been in separate houses, even ifthe Hat had thought they should be.  They did everythingtogether.  They shared everything—even the answers ontests, although it was completely unintentional.  What one saw ordid, or said was known to both of them.  They could even speak toeach other—in their minds—carry on conversations thatno one else could hear.”

 

Ginny swallowed.

 

“They never married, either of them. I remember Emma telling me once that there was no point, as longas they had each other they were content.”

 

“What happened to them?” askedGinny, stunned.

 

“No idea,” said Dumbledore. “Last I heard, they moved to the States fifty years ago andhad opened up an herb shop in a Muggle tourist town nearBoston,” he shrugged. “I haven’t seen or heardfrom them in at least thirty years.”

 

“But as I’ve explained, theThomas twins were the exception. For reasons no one can fullyexplain — though many have tried — most Soulmatestend to be housed in male/female pairs. There are some who saythat this is because it makes the searching — and finding— more, ah, fulfilling.”

 

“You make it sound like some sort ofcosmic game,” said Ginny, wrinkling her nose.

 

“Perhaps so, Miss Weasley.  Perhapsthat is exactly what it is.  The thing is, no one knowsfor certain.  But I do know that once one has found his or herSoulmate, there can be no going back.  Once the souls havereunited, they are no longer two people, but one person in twobodies.  Once that has happened there is no desire for — noneed for — anyone else.  It is, or so I have been told, amost incredible experience.”

 

“Sir, you don’t have—Imean, you’ve never had a—a Soulmate, haveyou?”

 

“A Soulmate?  No, Miss Weasley I amnot one of those so lucky.  I did not test blue.”

 

Ginny looked at him blankly.  Dumbledorechuckled.

 

“There is a spell you see, it isperformed by most wizarding families when a child is born.  Thespell determines is the child is destined to have a Soulmate ornot.”

 

“What sort of a spell isit?”

 

“Just an incantation.  If, when theincantation is read aloud, the child’s nose glows blue— they are destined to have a Soulmate.  If it does notglow blue, well, then they are not.  But not testing positivedoes not preclude a witch or wizard from falling deeply in loveand living long, satisfying lives with the partner of theirchoice.  And that, Miss Weasley, is the real difference. They can choose.  Soulmates can not.  They may think thatthey are choosing, but in truth, they were destined — forwhatever reason — to be together.”

 

“Take your mother and father forexample.  While they are not Soulmates, they are perfect for eachother.  And here’s the interesting bit.  Soulmates, asI’ve said, are extremely rare, but there are two inyour immediate family, Miss Weasley, most unusual.”

 

“Really?” asked Ginny curiously,“Who?”

 

“Well, yourself of course, and yourbrother, George.”

 

George?” said Ginnyincredulously.  She still wasn’t certain as to what shethought of this whole business to do with Soulmates, but if hewas going to say that anyone else in her family wasdestined to have a Soulmate she would have thought it would havebeen Bill, or Ron maybe, but George?  George thegood-natured who was always laughing and getting into trouble? George, who had never dated a girl for longer than a week or twoat most?

 

“Took you by surprise, did itnot?” asked Dumbledore amiably.

 

“Who else do you know, Professor, whohas — or will have — a Soulmate?  I mean, if you areat liberty to say.”

 

“The test is no secret, Miss Weasley.The records are available for anyone who is interested.  Now, Iassume that you are talking about those who are stillalive,” Dumbledore sat for a moment, thinking. “There are several you’ve never heard of, most ofthose live out of the country, but you know Remus Lupin, do younot?”

 

“I met him on the train,yes.”

 

“Well, he is one who tested blue, asis Professor Snape.”

 

“Professor Snape?”

 

“Yes, Miss Weasley, although his otherhalf, well, she has been dead these twelve years now.”

 

“I — I’m sorry.”  Itwas all Ginny could manage.  Snape having a Soulmate?  It seemeda ludicrous idea to say the least.

 

“Yes, well, then there’sHarry’s Aunt, Petunia Dursley.  You’ve mether?”

 

“I’ve seen her at the trainstation, but she’s a Muggle!”

 

“Muggles have souls too, MissWeasley.  Her sister performed the test on her out of curiosityand she tested blue.  But as for people you know, let’sstart with our current seventh years.  Firstly, there would beMia Crandall.”

 

“The Head Girl?”

 

“Yes, and in sixth year there is onlyJoshua Ansell, also from Ravenclaw.”

 

“Aren’t he and Mia goingout?”

 

“Exactly!” chuckledDumbledore.   “They are very lucky to have found each otherso young, I must say.  Lets see, then in fifth year we have yourbrother George of course, and Cedric Digory.”

 

Ginny knew Cedric.  He lived just a coupleof towns over from Ottery St. Catchpole.  His father worked atthe Ministry of Magic in the Department for the Regulation andControl of Magical Creatures.

 

“Now, I don’t believe that thereare any in fourth year, oh wait, yes, Miss Chang, but in thirdyear there are three, Harry of course, and Neville Longbottom,and Mr. Malfoy.”

 

Ginny stared at him.  The idea of DracoMalfoy having a Soulmate seemed almost —obscene.

 

“And then in second year there isyourself of course, and Miss Lovegood.”

 

“Luna?”

 

“Even so.”

 

“And first years?”

 

“There are none in first year that Iknow of.”

 

Ginny shook her head.  She wasn’tentirely certain that she could take much more of this. 

 

“It’s getting late, MissWeasley,” said Dumbledore quietly.  “You reallyshould be getting back to Gryffindor tower.”

 

Ginny stood as if to go.

 

“One more thing, Miss Weasley,”said Dumbledore.  “You still have your dance lessons onSunday afternoons, correct?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yes, I know you have been usingProfessor McGonagall’s fire, but if we are to meet once aweek to go over what you have learned, we could meet here, justafter lunch on Sundays, then you could use my fire to Floo backto the Burrow.”

 

“I’d like that, sir.”

 

“Just remember one thing, MissWeasley.  Patience.  You are only now discovering your truepotential.  Many skills and powers inherent with Elemental Magicmay start making an appearance.  May of them may sneak up on youunexpectedly.”

 

He reached into his desk and pulled out alarge leather-bound book.

 

“I expect you to keep copious notes,Miss Weasley.  Make certain that you record any unusualexperiences, any odd premonitions or feelings.  We’ll goover them when you see me on Sundays.  Now, off to bed withyou.”

 

Ginny took the book from Dumbledore’soutstretched hand, then, on impulse, hugged him around theneck.

 

“Thank you, Professor, foreverything!”

 

 

~*~

 

Septemb er2nd

 

I am going to be so tiredtomorrow!  But there is no way that I can sleep!  Where do Istart?  My last entry was on the Hogwarts Express — beforethe Dementors!  (Yes, Dementors!)  They were there because ofSirius Black’s escape, searching the train.  The Ministryof Magic has put Dementors around Hogwarts, stationed at all thegates to guard us. 

 

Personally, I don’t see thepoint.  I mean, if Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban —which is swarming with Dementors — what is to keep him fromevading the ones they’ve got guardingHogwarts?

 

I can’t imagine a placeinfested with those nightmares.  The one that that searched thetrain nearly did me in all by itself, and poor Harry. . .Ithought it affected me badly, but there was Harry, twitching onthe floor of the compartment.

 

I would have passed out too if Ihad to relive the memories the Dementors left for him.  He heardhis parents being murdered.  I mean, I heard it-and it was prettybad- but it was only second hand. And I did hear it.  My suspicionsare confirmed.  I’m not crazy, I’m just somehowconnected to Harry Potter’s mind.

 

When the Dementor came in, thememories from last year — the guilt and anxiety I felt— (the worst being when Tom climbed out of the diary andinto my head) began  washing over me in great waves I thought Iwas going to pass out myself.  But there was something else. Iwasn’t just reliving my own memories, somehow I was awareof Harry’s too.  I could hear the voice of his mumscreaming and Voldemort’s laughter and then I saw a flashof bright, green light, and because I was concentrating on those,my own memories didn’t overwhelm me as I’m sure theyshould have.

 

Anyway, when he woke up and startedasking ‘who screamed?’ that was when I knew. It’s not just my imagination.  I have a direct connectionto Harry’s mind, and that’s just one of the thingsthat is keeping me from sleeping.  The other is the conversationI had with Professor Dumbledore in his office after the WelcomingFeast.  Do you realize that we were up there, talking, for nearlythree hours? 

 

Some of what we talked about had todo with my elemental skills — powers rather- and howwe’re going to meet once a week and go over what I’velearned and hopefully answer any questions I mayhave.

 

He can’t train me as such. He says that my approach is far different than his, but he canguide me, seeing as that he understands what it is I am dealingwith.  We are to meet on Sunday afternoons just after lunch andbefore I go to my dance classes.

 

And then there was the bit aboutthe Soulmates.

 

I swear, I never actually came outand said anything about being able to read Harry’s mind,and to give Dumbledore credit he never directly asked me, whichis probably just as well.  He knows though, or if hedoesn’t know he certainly suspects, but at least heisn’t forcing me to reveal what I know, or trying to coerceme into telling him.

 

I wouldn’t tell him, even ifhe asked however.  I can’t take that chance.  It might betoo tempting, even for Dumbledore.  He could use our connectionto manipulate Harry.  He’s a strange man though,Dumbledore, perhaps that is why he did not ask me directly, oreven refer to it directly, but kept making references to theFlamel’s situation (which was so much like mine andHarry’s that it’s frightening!).

 

I know he has everyone’s bestinterest at heart, but perhaps he knows that even he haslimitations.

 

~*~

 

Ginny doused her wand light and slipped outof her four-poster.  She stood by the window for a long time,observing the grounds, which were reflected in the quartermoon’s silvery light.

 

Had it only been two months ago that she hadstood by this very window and felt as if there were nothing leftto live for?  That nothing would ever be beautiful again?  Shesmiled and threw open the window, welcoming the soft breeze thatwas blowing in over the lake.  It caressed her skin and liftedthe hair off of her neck.

 

Inhaling deeply, Ginny turned her face up tothe light of the moon.  Merlin she loved the feel of abreeze across her skin!  If she had to choose only one element asher favorite, it would have to be air.

 

Not understanding why she did it, shewhispered, “come to me!” to the night air.

 

The breeze intensified.  It skirled throughthe window, whipping her hair around her head, twisting hernightgown around her body. If she ignored the cold stone underher feet, she could almost believe that she was flying.

 

How long Ginny stood there, she did notknow, but it didn’t matter.  Nothing mattered but thesensation of the clear, cool air rushing past her, pouringthrough her.  Her face still turned up to the moon, Ginnystretched out her arms and laughed delightedly.

 

“Ginny?”

 

The voice brought her back to earth with ajolt.

 

“Ginny Weasley, what on earthare you doing?”

 

It was Mandy Davenport.  Her golden curlshad been tamed into two practical braids and a scowl was marringher perfect, china-doll features.

 

“I wasn’t onearth,” said Ginny coolly, turning her face back to thenight sky.

 

“Obviously.  You were laughing like aloon and you’re letting in all the cold air!”

 

With a sigh, Ginny closed the window.

 

“Sorry, Mandy, didn’t mean todisturb you.”

 

But Mandy didn’t answer.  She wasstaring at Ginny as if she’d grown an extra head.

 

“What’s the matter?” Ginnyasked, starting to get concerned.

 

“You-” Mandy swallowed hard,“I — I could have sworn that you wereglowing!”

 

“Just the moonlight, Mandy,”said Ginny without blinking.  She didn’t doubt at all thatshe had been glowing.  She’d felt as if she wereglowing, but no need to tell Mandy that.

 

“Yeah, probably.”

 

Mandy’s head withdrew back into herhangings.

 

Ginny sighed heavily and climbed back intoher four-poster.  This time tomorrow the story would have spreadall over Hogwarts.  Knowing Mandy, it would have some sort of oddtwist thrown in, like the fact that Ginny had been standing nakedat the window, or that shed been calling out some boy’sname instead of laughing.

 

Ginny stifled a giggle.  Let Mandy spread asmany rumors as she wished.  Nothing she could invent couldpossibly come even remotely close to the truth.  Ginevra Weasley,a Natural Elemental and future Soulmate to Harry Potter had beenstanding at the window, calling on the power of air.

 

She snuggled deep into her feather bed, notbothering to suppress the broad grin on her face. Damn buther life had gotten a lot more interesting over the summer.

 

Her smile faded a bit when she thought abouthow long it might take Harry to come to grips with his destiny,but then she remembered Dumbledore’s words.

 

“. . .Soulmates always endup together.  It is inevitable. . .once one has found his or herSoulmate, there can be no going back.”

 

There was no going back.  Not for her.  LetHarry stumble around for years.  He would be hers in the end. That was all that mattered.

 

Besides, it wasn’t as if shedidn’t have plenty to think about — plenty to do. She rubbed the soft leather of her great-grandmother’sjournal, which lay on the bedside table and grinned to herself. Harry could wait.  He’d come to her eventually.  And whenhe did, she’d be ready.  She’d meet him on her ownterms.  Not as Ron’s little sister, or even as a fellowGryffindor, but as his equal.

 

Strange that it had taken being possessed bythe most powerful Dark Lord in history for her to realize herdestiny.

 

“Thank you, Tom,” she whisperedinto her pillow and sleep took her, but she did not dream.

 

THEEND

 

 

 

Reviews 111
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear