Search:

SIYE Time:5:45 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Dream Unlocked
By sugarquills23

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Humor, Drama
Warnings: Sexual Situations, Violence, Extreme Language, Dark Fiction
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 131
Summary: This adventure begins post 6th year. Harry is suddenly having nightmare's again despite his Occlumency training. He is uncertain of who is haunting his dreams, but knows he must help her. What unforeseen dangers are awaiting Harry in his nightmares and how will he unlock the mystery of the girl trapped inside his mind... A/N: The first 5 chapters have been revised with the development of a new chapter. I'm working with a beta now to improve this story. I hope you like the changes.
Hitcount: Story Total: 69299; Chapter Total: 5048







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 10 Breaching the Threshold

Everything changed in an instant as they plunged head first into the portal. Only seconds before, Harry was in control. He should have brought the curtain crashing down upon Riddle’s twisted play of torture, but the scene went terribly wrong. Instead of cutting the dark wizard from Ginny’s dreams, Harry was center stage in a whole new act and Tom Riddle was directing the script.

The next few moments added all the elements of a classic nightmare: darkness, uncertainty, and a brutalizing chill that cut straight to the bone.

When he broke the surface, Harry expected to pass straight through the portal. Instead, he seemed caught. Harry struggled to make sense of his bizarre new surroundings as his world became oddly muted. The sound of his pulse throbbed wildly within a cocoon of silence. Every nerve in Harry’s body erupted and a barrage of painful sensations inundated his brain. Thousands of tiny icicles seemed to bore into every inch of his exposed flesh as he spiraled downward at breakneck speed. It was like traveling by portkey but much more painful.

He was pulled, not by Riddle, whose grip Harry still felt vaguely on his arm, but by some unknown force. It wrenched them at top speed toward a fathoms-deep, watery pit of darkness. As they dove, thick, icy plasma engulfed him. Harry’s body shook uncontrollably and his chest tightened painfully making it impossible to breathe. It was extreme, a cold so intense that it burned as it soaked through his clothing to sear his skin beneath. Precious seconds ticked by without oxygen. His vision blurred and he grew light-headed, racing through the column of ooze.

It’s only a dream; he tried to reason through his haze of thoughts. It isn’t real.

That was little comfort to his oxygen-starved brain and burning lungs. Harry was gradually losing consciousness. Just as the last of his will was fading, he emerged from the darkness. As they breached the threshold of the mirror, Riddle’s hold on Harry was broken. Tumbling out of the portal into another chamber, they hit the cold, stone floor with a shuddering thud.

Battered and frozen, Harry’s stiff and achy body lay motionless. He managed a gasp, sending his lungs a much-needed burst of air. Icy pain was suddenly replaced by comforting warmth that radiated from his laboring heart. It fingered outward like a web, encompassing his entire body within its boundaries. Harry peered down to find steam billowing from him in wispy spirals of mist. His clothes dried before his eyes as strength replaced agony. His recovery was so complete; it was as though none of it had taken place.

It is only a dream, Harry reminded himself, or is it? He wondered. The dream world and his reality seemed fused into one. Is this how Ginny has felt all this time? Living a dream, she was unable to escape?

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted as his opponent came into focus. Riddle was struggling to regain his footing as a familiar mist of vapor encircled him.

Is it a dream or reality? That’s irrelevant now, Harry chastised himself, rising quickly to his feet, wand in hand. He prepared to face off with Riddle, who was regarding Harry with amused silence and a wicked grin of satisfaction.

He’s waiting for my reaction, toying with me, Harry thought in contempt as he tightened his grip on his wand and fixed what he hoped was a detached expression upon his face.

“What? No fight left in you, Potter?” Riddle prodded.

Harry glared in response. In no hurry to entertain Riddle, he forced himself to remain calm and scanned his surroundings for details.

If Harry didn’t know better, he’d think they’d just entered the lounge of a very wealthy, dark wizard. Torches and candles dimly lit the expansive room. Several amber colored stone pillars flanked mahogany paneled walls. The floor was inlaid with rich looking marble, bordered in mosaic tiles. From the far wall, a flicker of light emanated from an oversized ornate fireplace. Over the mantle hung the life-sized portrait of a menacing wizard who seemed to regard Harry’s presence with a scowl of distaste. The walls and floors were embellished with colorful tapestries and oriental rugs. A large sofa near the hearth, a variety of leather chairs, and an assortment of odd objects upon side tables made up the bulk of the chamber’s furnishings. A single, intricately carved, wooden door was visible at the far end of the chamber to Harry’s right. It arched like the one that led to Ginny’s chamber above and had a large handle in the shape of a serpent in place of a knob.

Harry discreetly eyed the door, considering his options. Where does it lead? He wondered. Is that the way out or just a trap put there to taunt me? Harry settled on the latter. Then, as if lightening struck, if I entered through the portal, maybe I can use it to get out.

Riddle scrutinized him with bemused interest as Harry moved into position to have a clear view. The hazy blue glow still radiated from the object, making Harry’s decision instantaneous. Taking three quick strides, he attempted his escape. As he reached out, the cobalt light flickered and vanished. The rippling waves slowed their movement and then stopped. The portal was suddenly masked behind a smooth piece of glass. Harry’s reflection seemed to mock him as he stared at the mirrored surface in disbelief. In momentary denial, he ran his hand over the glass. The once fluid surface now felt solid and cool to the touch. His door to freedom was closed. Harry was trapped inside his very own nightmare with no visible means of escape.

Has this been Riddle’s plan all along? Harry wondered. Did he use Ginny to lure me here?

Behind him mirthless laugher erupted from the silence. Harry whipped around to face Riddle, who spoke with sarcasm dripping from every word. “Nice try, Potter. It’s too bad, really. You were just one second too late. It looks like little Ginny decided to wake up.”

Harry narrowed his eyes but refused to speak.

“Oh, come now, Potter. I was sure you would have figured it out. My dream portal is only open while she sleeps. I must say, I’m rather disappointed to have missed seeing her expression when you came through with me,” he smirked. “I imagine that would have been most entertaining.”

“Shut up!” Harry spat even as he tried to calm himself. He needed a clear head. Anger would only distract him and Harry had no intentions of giving Riddle more of an edge.

“I don’t think you have learned your place yet, have you, Potter? Perhaps you need another lesson,” he sneered. “You seem to be under the impression that you have some control over what I say and do, you pathetic…weak… disappointing little boy. You’re just like your parents.”

Harry forced himself to ignore the words. Ginny is safe, Harry thought to himself. She’s awake and free of the chamber and that’s what matters at the moment. He took comfort in that assurance as he returned to surveying the room. There must be something useful here. Something that can give me the upper hand, he thought as he scanned for signs of anything that could help. I need more time.

“Your parents were weak too...always talking of love’s power,” Riddle’s face contorted grotesquely at the words as he began to advance. “A pity their love didn’t save them when I paid them a call.”

“It saved me though, didn’t it? It saved me and destroyed you!” Harry snapped unable to hold back any longer.

“Hardly, Potter,” he drawled. “It was merely a temporary set back. I assure you, I’m far from destroyed.”

“You may have managed to survive that night, to exist in some way, but for how long?” Harry asked steeling himself for any movement from Riddle. “You’re afraid and you should be. You’re afraid because you are right! I am just like my parents and it’s only a matter of time before I finish you, isn’t it?”

“You have delusions of grandeur, Mr. Potter,” Riddle retorted wearily with a sigh. “Your parents were failures and I expect no more from you.”

“If I were you, I’d be thinking of your own disappointing failure. Your plans to have Ginny didn’t exactly go as you thought. From where I’m sitting, I’d say this 'pathetic…weak…disappointing little boy' had something to do with that, wouldn’t you?”

That stopped Riddle in his tracks, seething anger filled his features. “You’ll regret your interference, Potter.”

“Will I? I suppose that remains to be seen, doesn’t it? After all, I accomplished what I set out to do tonight. Did you?” he mocked. Riddle’s silence felt like a small victory for Harry in their game of cat and mouse. “What is this place anyway?” he added trying to vie for more time.

Riddle glared momentarily and then rejoined the game. With exaggerated manners he addressed Harry as an invited guest. “Welcome to my home,” he said raising his arms to gesture about the room. “The Dark arts provide well for me as you can see, even in my dreams. As for your brief triumph as Miss Weasley’s hero, well, there’s always tomorrow night. The girl will have to sleep, eventually. The next time she dreams, her beloved knight in shining armor won’t be there to interrupt, will he, Potter? I’ll have plenty of time for entertaining her then.”

Riddle relished the anger pulsating from Harry and decided to have some fun. “I assure you, Mr. Potter. Tonight wasn’t an entire loss. I’ve got you, haven’t I? This turn of events is definitely an unexpected bonus. You should know. Things on this side of the portal are a bit different.”

“What’s that supposed to mean,” Harry asked entertaining his foe.

“My power is, shall we say, further reaching from this vantage point. I believe I’ll let you stew on that for awhile,” he ended with a confident smirk.

Games aside, the truth about Ginny was undeniable. She was still in very real danger.

Harry’s heart leapt to his throat. Fear and rage melded together as he imagined what Riddle would do to her now. Harry’s emotions blazed within him until he reached a level of fury that he rarely felt. With feelings this strong, in the past he’d found he could perform wandless magic. Unfortunately, the intensity of his feelings usually caused the magic to be beyond his command.

Stay in control, Harry thought. You can’t help her if you don’t. Now think. Keep him talking, just little a while longer. Burying his urge to attack, he baited Riddle to continue, “Too bad…”

After a few seconds pause, Riddle looked back curiously, “Too bad what, Potter? Too upset to make sense, are we?”

“Too bad that the only way you’ll ever have her is through the Imperious Curse. I can’t imagine it would be very good like that. She’ll never give herself to you willingly. You make her flesh crawl, Tom!” Harry finished with a look of disgust.

Riddle’s anger rose at the sound of his given name. Harry knew he hated his muggle father enough to murder him. The thought of being his namesake disgusted him, but Riddle quickly regained his composure.

“Her willingness is not really an issue for me. I like a fighter, Potter,” he hissed with a look of hunger at the thought. “You really should try it sometime. It’s quite intense,” he leered causing Harry’s stomach to turn. “Besides, what makes you think she won’t give in to me if she thinks it will save you?”

“You’re insane! She’ll never…” Harry began enraged, but Riddle interrupted.

“While I appreciate you concern for my pleasure, when would you have discovered how it would be good? Innocent, righteous Potter; always the gentleman, aren’t you? I do so love irony.”

“What are you on about now?” Harry spat.

“I just find it rather ironic that you’re the one she wants, but she’s going to give herself to me to buy your freedom,” Riddle paused gloating, as shock played over Harry’s face. “You do realize you could have bedded her long ago?” Riddle paused as Harry glared, speechless.

“No? Oh well, your stupidity has left her pristine for me. I owe you my thanks. Although she’s not very useful in the information department, she’s not a total loss. I’m rather looking forward to training her up a bit,” he said with a sly wink as if he was talking to a good friend.

That was it. “SHUT UP! If you say one more word about her, I’ll make you regret it!” Harry shot back.

“Oh…I
Reviews 131
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear