Search:

SIYE Time:14:04 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Gift
By Professor Scroll

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 31
Summary: When Ginny says that Harry only sees her as his best mates little sister, he realises that although he's been trying to show her for weeks that he loves her she doesn't understand. So he goes on a quest to find her the perfect Christmas present. Please R/R.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6764





Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: This wonderful world and its characters are from the imagination of the very talented JKR. I am only borrowing them.




ChapterPrinter


The Gift



The last Quidditch match of the year was over. After Harry’s Captain’s speech, the rest of the team had quickly taken showers and hustled up to Hogwarts and the Gryffindor common room where the party would already have started. Ginny was taking her time, as she wanted to talk to him, but Harry was still in the shower blaming himself for not catching the Snitch sooner. Even now, he was probably trying to drown himself as a result. Ron, as usual, was just waiting for his friend. He could be very dense sometimes, as Hermione and Ginny often told him.

The three friends had finally gathered for the walk back. They stepped out into the blustering cold of an early December, where a blast of sleet filled wind whipped their cloaks around their legs as they trudged though the snow and mud covering the school grounds. The gusts were so strong that they almost knocked Ginny off her feet and into a snowdrift. It took both boys, their arms wrapped securely around her slight frame, to help her navigate the distance up to the castle.

As they stomped their feet to remove the snow from their boots and restore circulation, Ron looked between his sister and his best friend and said, “I’d better go find Hermione. I’m sure she’s wondering what’s happened to me.” He took the stairs three at a time, and running full tilt he sped towards the Gryffindor tower.

“Why did he run off like that? We’re all going to the same place.” Harry said, one eyebrow raised as he stared after Ron’s retreating form.

“M - M - M - ” Ginny was shivering so badly that she couldn’t force the words through her chattering teeth. She was wondering the same thing. After he had puttered around making excuses for staying, when he must have know that she was doing the same thing, why did he run off now? She had already lost the chance to spend some quiet time alone with Harry.

Harry’s attention returned to the young woman at his side. Her hood had blown off her head in the trek across the grounds and a layer of melting snow hid her vibrant hair. Reaching out a shaky hand, he caringly brushed it away, before attacking the white coating across her shoulders.

Ginny could feel her temperature rise, but not because the snow was no longer melting down her back. She knew her face was turning bright pink, but maybe, with luck Harry would think it was due to the cold. Staring up at him, she tried to force her body to stop quivering in reaction to his touch.

“C’mon, we need to get you warm.” He said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and urging her up the main stairs.

At first, Ginny was too cold to worry about what the other students at Hogwarts would think. It wasn’t until she saw her roommate Brittany walk into a wall with her mouth hanging open, that she realised how it would look to other people. What was Harry doing? He was going to start rumours walking through the halls with his arm around her. As nonchalantly as possible, Ginny reluctantly moved farther away and his arm dropped to his side. “Thanks Harry, but I’m warm now.”

“Ginny, were you waiting to talk with me after the game?”

She hadn’t thought that Harry was that perceptive. How was she going to answer that question? “Well, yes I was. Is that a problem?”

“No.” Harry moved closer and raising his hand, he smoothed her hair back from her face. He carefully tucked it behind her ear the same annoying way that Michael used to — but, somehow, when Harry did it, she found it endearing. “Is it something to do with Quidditch?”

“No,” she stammered wanting to savour the feelings that his touch had evoked, “Ron and Hermione!” Ginny couldn’t move away, Harry was killing her. Why was he acting so tender towards her? Over the past few months he had become very comfortable in her presence, quite often touching her, but never to this extent. This was almost a caress.

Smiling, he asked, “What about Ron and Hermione?”

Warm brown eyes looked up at him. “You do know how they feel about each other. Don’t you?” she asked anxiously.

“Of course. They are my best friends.” Harry linked his arm with hers and urged her towards the next set of stairs.

Ginny was having trouble focusing on her brother and best friend. Harry was creating excited little tremors that were rushing through her body. “I finally think that Ron’s ready to do something about the way he feels.”

“Is that why he ran off?” He seemed to be speaking almost absentmindedly, as if his mind was busy on something else.

“Yes, I think so.” This time she didn’t pull away. It felt so good to be close to him. “What other reason would he have?”

“I don’t know.” Harry said, with a smile that made his emerald eyes blaze.

Caught in his intense gaze, like a deer in headlights, her footsteps slowed. “Harry, can I ask you something?”

“Sure!” Harry stopped and turned to stand in front of her, releasing her elbow.

Free from his touch and, if she stared at his chin instead of his beautiful eyes, not quite as distracted, Ginny was able to concentrate on the conversation. “Does it bother you that Ron and Hermione will become a couple?”

Shaking his head, Harry said fervently, “No, I’m glad that they will stop bickering.”

“But won’t you be lonely?” Ginny asked him earnestly, her heart pounding so loudly that she was sure that he could hear it.

“Why would I be lonely?” Harry said, looking perplexed.

“Harry, sometimes you are so dense!” Ginny said, aggravation making her tone shaper than necessary.

“Hey, that’s not fair.” He said, puzzlement changing to annoyance in record time. “Why do girls talk in riddles?”

“We don’t. Don’t you see that they are going to want to spend time together? Alone!” Ginny explained, as if talking to a young child.

Harry ran a hand through black hair that was already messy from the wind outside. “Well, of course, I know that. But, why would that make me lonely?”

“If they are together, you will be alone.” Ginny grabbed his arm and pulled him along the corridor, angry with him for needing everything explained and at herself as well, for spoiling the wonderful time they were having.

“Why? Where will you be?” Harry asked, slowing down and letting her small hand slide down his arm until he could clasp it in his larger one, interlocking their fingers.

Shocked by the feelings generated by their joined hands, she stared at their hands and mumbled. “What do you mean?”

“You always kept me company when they had Prefect duties. I just figured you would be with me.” Harry explained easily.

“With you?” She whispered.

“Don’t you like spending time with me?” He questioned, with a grin.

“Oh, Harry, of course I do. I just thought that you might want to find someone you could care about.” Couldn’t Harry tell that she would rather be with him than anyone else in the world? Why couldn’t things ever be easy between them?

He squeezed their joined hands, and said, “But I already care about you. We’re friends, aren’t we?”

“Yes, I like to think so. But… I meant…” stammered Ginny. Her heart was telling her things that her head didn’t understand. She was suddenly afraid that her heart had misunderstood Harry’s kindness to her. What did he mean when he was brushing the snow off, moving her hair almost like a caress and holding her hand as they walked through the school?

“Ginny, what are you trying to say? Don’t talk in circles, just say it.”

Telling her not to talk in riddles was the pot calling the cauldron black. His actions since they left the field house had been anything but normal, at least for her. An emotional wreck and almost in tears, Ginny tried to make him understand what she had meant. “I thought that you might want to find someone you liked to spend time with. Not just the little sister of your best mate.” She clapped her hand over her mouth, and stared aghast at Harry. Oh no, why did I just say that?

Harry looked as if she had slapped him. “You’re wrong, Ginny! I stopped seeing you that way over a year ago.” Glancing away, he swore softly under his breath. “I know that I haven’t always been the best of friends, but I thought we were over that.”

With tears slipping down her cheeks, she placed a hand on his shoulder, and said, “Oh, Harry, I’m sorry. We are. I treasure our friendship. I just don’t think that you see the real me half the time.”

It would scare the stuffing out of him if he knew that she still cared deeply for him. She had been carefully hiding that secret for over two years, she went out with other wizards and enjoyed herself but he was the only boy she had ever said ‘I love you’ to! She would never forget the time or place. It had been a year and a half ago, in the dead of night, 24 June, in the hospital wing after the Triwizard Tournament. At the time, Harry had been under the effects of a Dreamless Sleeping Draught, so she knew that he hadn’t heard her, but she had said those three important words all the same. Not even with Michael Corner, whom she had gone out with for almost a year, did she ever say those three words.

They stopped in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady and Harry turned towards her. His brilliant eyes boring into hers, he said, “You’re wrong, Ginny. And I know just the way to prove it to you.” He spun around and said, “Christmas Crackers!” to the woman guarding the entrance, and after her portrait had swung open, he angrily strode into the common room and the party that was already in full swing.

Ginny followed him slowly, wondering why he was so angry. She hadn’t meant to upset him and didn’t really know why he was so offended. What she had said was the truth. She knew and understood Harry so much better than he knew her. That was a fact! She had been studying him for the last five years and knew everything about him. How he ran his hands through his messy black hair when he was worried. How he couldn’t eat when he was nervous. How he closed his heart away, because of the many times he had been hurt. How he was destined for something great. How he hated being famous and wanted people to like him for the person he was now.

She spied Hermione sitting in front of the fire. Hesitantly, Ginny began to cross the room to her side. Ron was sitting very near to her, and she didn’t want to intrude. When Hermione patted the cushion beside her and beckoned her over, she moved more quickly. Sending a silent thank you to Hermione, she dropped into the corner of the couch.

* * * *

Harry couldn’t understand why Ginny would say such a thing. He never treated her as if she was just Ron’s little sister anymore. In fact, today he had almost grabbed and kissed her several times as they walked though the castle. The first time had been when he had been brushing the snow out of her hair, hair that was so soft and luxurious he had wanted to wrap it around his fingers and pull her forward for a kiss. Didn’t she know what happened to him when he looked into her beautiful amber eyes? Later, outside the portrait hole, he had almost given into the need to show her what she meant to him, when she had accused him of not seeing the real person, only the young sister of a friend. However, before he could act on his impulse his anger had erupted and he was afraid that if he kissed her then, he would shock her with his intensity. He wanted their first kiss to be tender, not forceful or angry.

He knew that she was a strong and resourceful witch. She had shown everyone just how mature she could be at the Ministry of Magic last June when Sirius had died. Hadn’t he proven that to her when he had owled her after she had broken her ankle? She had been the first person he had opened up to about the death of his Godfather. Didn’t she know how he felt about her? He hadn’t kept it a secret. He’d talked to Hermione and Ron about his feelings, and Ron had approved of him as a suitor for his little sister.

The following Saturday was a Hogsmeade visit and the day before the scheduled departure of the Hogwarts Express to take them home for the holidays. This year, for the second time, Harry was leaving Hogwarts at Christmastime; however, this year he was going to the Burrow. The Order of the Phoenix had added extra security around the Weasleys’ home so that they would be safe.

The Order had even conjured two extra houses on the property for the additional guards that would be patrolling the area. One was at the entrance to the long lane that led to the Burrow and the other on the far side of the orchard. The entire area was now undetectable, but the problem was that so many wizards and witches already knew where it was. Mr and Mrs Weasley had their fireplace disconnected from the Floo Network, and the only way to Floo to the property was through the fireplace in the sentry house. They had also taken the precaution of allowing Apparation only to the center of the makeshift Quidditch pitch, where it was totally exposed and Apparators would be under constant surveillance without the danger of an enemy coming directly inside the house.

Last year, they had all spent the break at Number twelve, Grimmauld Place with Sirius, as an injured Mr Weasley had been in St Mungo’s, but everyone knew how painful the memories would be to spend the break there, especially for Harry. Harry still missed Sirius dreadfully, and if it hadn’t been for the little spitfire named Ginevra Weasley, he would still be blaming himself for his Godfather’s demise. She had pulled, pushed, teased and yelled at him until he had opened up and let all of his fear and remorse pour from his soul. Through her understanding and gentle compassion, she had showed him that Sirius would never have blamed him or have wanted him to grieve forever. She absolved him of the guilt he had felt over the fiasco at the Ministry of Magic, the injuries to his friends and Sirius’ death.

When Harry awoke on Saturday, he knew that he was going to need help. He had spent the last week paging through magazines and trying to come up with the perfect Christmas present for Ginny. He had decided on multiple gifts, only to toss them aside because they were all wrong. He was at his wit’s end and felt that he would have to take drastic measures. Not that he wanted to ask Ron for help, as he knew that Ron would go ballistic or tease him unendingly, but he would have to tolerate Ron’s amusement, because he needed help.

Shaking Ron, he said, “Ron, will you go into Hogsmeade with me? Without Hermione! I need to purchase the perfect gift and since you have experience buying presents for a girl, I thought you could help me. Please say you will?”

“Me, experienced?” Ron yelped. “What are you talking about, Harry? Have you been having nightmares again?”

“No! Ron, you bought Hermione perfume last year.” Ron’s ears and face soon rivalled his hair, but Harry persisted. “How did you pick it? Do you know if she’s ever worn it?”

“Sorry, Harry. I don’t even know what it smells like. I just bought the biggest bottle I could afford.”

Harry’s shoulders slumped, and he ran a hand nervously through his already messy hair. “I’m doomed!”

“Who’s this present for, anyway? You’ve bought gifts for Hermione since second year. She can’t be that hard to buy for. Just get her a book.”

He glanced nervously around the room at the other beds. “Shhh. It’s not for Hermione, you git. It’s for Ginny.” He could feel a hot blush stain his cheeks. Thank Merlin that the rest of his roommates were still asleep.

“Ginny? Hey mate, are you sure you want to do that?” Ron asked, an evil grin spreading across his face.

“I have to. I want to! I thought that everyone knew, but she believes that I only see her as your little sister. I told her she was wrong, but she doesn’t believe me. Now, I have to prove it. But I can’t find the perfect present.” The words poured from him in a rush. Pleading, he continued. “Please, you have to help me.”

“You’re not making any sense Harry. Slow down!” Ron said, looking completely baffled by what Harry had just said.

“Will you come with me to Hogsmeade and help me find a present for Ginny?” Harry stated, annunciating each word.

“Sure. This should be fun.” Ron said, his grin returning.

Harry stared at him. “We are leaving Hermione here. I don’t think I can handle both of you today.”

With a look of fear, Ron asked, “How are we going to get away without her?”

“She’ll understand. We’ll tell her we’re looking for her present.”

“Okay, mate. I just hope you know what you’re doing.”

Harry nodded. “I do. This is important. I don’t want to hurt Ginny again. I have to find the right gift.”

“Why?”

“Tis the bloody season, you git. Weren’t you listening when I told you how I feel about Ginny? You told me you were okay with it.” Harry ground out between clenched teeth. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea; maybe he should have asked Hermione instead.

“Oh, that! Yeah, I heard you.”

Amazed at how truly dense Ron could be at times, Harry hassled him until they were dressed. Then, he and Ron hurried down to breakfast. All the while Harry was hoping that Hermione and Ginny would sleep in. They even brought their robes with them, so that they could leave quickly.

Entering the Great Hall, the wizards were dismayed to see the two witches almost finished with their own breakfast. Harry groaned, but pasted a smile on his face. “Hi Hermione, Ginny. What are you doing here so early?”

Harry watched as they exchanged looks, and Hermione gave a slight nod before she said, “We decided to get an early start in Hogsmeade. You wizards don’t mind going by yourselves this time, do you? We have some girl things we need to do.”

Harry gave a relieved sigh. This was going to be easier than he had expected. “Sure. We understand. Do you want to meet for lunch at one o’clock at the Three Broomsticks?”

“Okay. See you then!” said Hermione. She and Ginny rose and almost ran from the Great Hall.

“Er… Harry, are you sure we’ll be finished by then?” asked Ron.

“Of course. It can’t possibly take that long.” Sublimely uninformed, Harry had a lot to learn.

The wizards drew their robes around them and hurried out of the main doors of the castle. As they hastened towards Hogsmeade, each footstep threw up clumps of wet snow. Crossing the tracks into the village, Harry asked, “Ron, where did you buy the perfume?”

“At the store across from Gladrags. I can’t remember its name. Come on, I’ll show you. I’m sure you’ve been there before.”

The wizards came to Passion’s Scent, and, pushing the door open, they stepped inside the plush interior. There were waist high pedestals set all around the showroom, each one lighted from above, and sitting in the center of the halo of light was a single bottle of perfume. Harry stared agog at the many different shaped and coloured bottles.

“May I help you?” a tall, severe faced witch said, staring down her nose at them.

“Yes, please.” Harry swallowed the lump in his throat and continued. “I’m looking for a present for a girl. How do you select the right one?”

“Tell me something about this girl. What is she like? What is her favourite flower? What does she like to do?”

Gee, he didn’t know that he was going to have to take a quiz. “Um… She plays Quidditch, and doesn’t mind getting all muddy. I don’t know what her favourite flower is though. Ron, do you?”

Ron was backing nervously towards the door, “Don’t ask me, mate. She’s your girlfriend. Just pick one.”

“No, no, no!” The sales clerk looked horrified. “That’s not how you choose a perfume. Come, you need to smell each one before you decide.” The witch stepped over to the closest display and removed the lid. After liberally spraying the perfume around, Harry began sneezing.

“Really? Last year I just picked one in a pretty bottle,” Ron told her. Harry was too busy trying to catch his breath to talk.

“Has the witch worn it?” The woman asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t know what it smelled like. I never opened the bottle.”

“Then that sort of defeats the purpose. How do you know that she liked it?”

A perplexed look upon his features, Ron shrugged. “She said thank you.”

“Well, of course she did. I’m sure she has lovely manners.”

Harry had stopped wheezing and said, “Ma’am. I don’t think perfume is the right present for Ginny. Thank you for your help. C’mon Ron, let’s go.”

“Now what, Harry?” Ron said as they left the perfume shop. “Wait a minute. Sweets work on Valentines Day. Let’s go to Honeydukes.”

“Great idea, Ron. I knew you’d be a big help.”

The teens walked down the street and entered Honeydukes. Filled to the brim with every kind of sweet imaginable, the store was a veritable treasure trove. In their six years at Hogwarts, the two wizards had visited Honeydukes many times, but with each visit, they spied something new. Harry began slowly walking up and down each aisle.

“Maybe some fudge.” Ron said.

“Does she like fudge?”

“I don’t know. But if she doesn’t, you get to eat it.”

Shaking his head, Harry glared at Ron. “I don’t think so.”

“Why don’t you get her some Chocolate Frogs? She doesn’t save the cards, so maybe she’ll let us have them.”

“No, that doesn’t seem like a good idea. What is her favourite treat?”

“Bertie Bott’s Every Flavoured Beans! That’s why I get her a bag every year.”

“I really don’t want to give her the same thing you get her.” Harry was beginning to worry. They had been searching for over an hour to no avail. This shouldn’t be so hard. He was only buying a present for Ginny. “Let’s try Zonko’s.”

At Zonko’s, Ron suggested many items, but none of them conveyed what Harry wanted to say. He didn’t want her to think that he was pulling a prank on her. He was serious about her gift. Besides, almost everything they looked at was inferior to what they would find at Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes.

Frustration was mounting as the clock struck eleven times. Harry was nervously running his hands through his thick black hair. Ron might be his best mate, but nothing he had suggested had panned out.

Harry and Ron were passing a store with a beautiful pair of emerald earrings in the window. They reminded Harry of the dress Ginny had worn to the Yule Ball, two years ago. The earrings would match the delicate gold necklace she had worn above her heart that night. Perfect! “C’mon Ron. See those earrings? I’m going to get her those.”

“Why would you buy her jewellery?”

“Do you remember what Ginny wore to the Yule Ball?” Harry was thinking about how gorgeous Ginny had looked that night.

“No. What does that have to do with earrings?”

“She was in this beautiful greenish blue dress, and she wore a gold chain with an emerald dangling from it. These earrings will match perfectly.”

“How come you remember what she was wearing?”

Harry stared at Ron, as if he had lost his mind. “What difference does it make? C’mon, lets go inside.”

“Ginny didn’t own that necklace, Harry. She borrowed it from someone. Ginny doesn’t have any jewellery.”

“Doesn’t she like it?”

Shrugging, Ron said, “I don’t know.”

Why was this so difficult? He knew Ginny. She was a friend. In fact, she was much more than that. He just wasn’t positive what she was, yet. All he was sure about was that he needed to find this present, and soon. He had no intention of hurting Ginny again. Ever! She would love the present he gave her. She was too important to him to get this wrong.

“Ron, what about a pet? You had Scabbers and now Pig. Has Ginny ever had a pet of her own?”

“No, she hasn’t. She’ll like that much better than some old jewellery.”

They entered Magical Menagerie and began looking around. There were Kneazles, rats and toads, but none of them impressed Harry. Then, to his amazement, he saw a Snowy Owl that could have passed as Hedwig’s twin. “Look at that owl. Isn’t he beautiful? Ginny has always said how much she loved my owl. I could get her this one. He would make a perfect mate for Hedwig.” Harry was so excited that he didn’t hear what he had just said, but Ron did.

“A mate for Hedwig! Are you sure you’re ready for that big of a commitment?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Did you hear what you said? You said, ‘A mate for Hedwig’! That’s what you said. Pets don’t usually mate unless their owners are together. I mean like married, Harry. I’m sure that that’s not what you meant, you just don’t know about these things because your aunt and uncle are Muggles. Right?”

Harry looked from Ron to the beautiful owl. Was Ron correct? He felt this was right. He truly wanted to buy this owl for Ginny, but with what was waiting in his future, maybe it was too big of a commitment at this time. However, he would still purchase this owl and present him to her later, if he survived the battle with Voldemort that was to come. “No, Ron. You’re right. However, I’m still buying him. Maybe I can keep him in the Hogwarts Owlery until I have my own home.”

As Harry walked up to the register to pay for Ginny’s future owl, he heard a mewing sound. Looking to his left and down, he saw a glittering pair of emerald eyes gazing up at him. A tiny, pure black kitten was holding up one paw, as if he wanted to shake hands. Harry dropped to his knees and reached out a trembling hand. The kitten was shivering in the cold draft from the door that was perpetually opening and closing, to allow patrons in and out. Making up his mind quickly, he lifted the tiny fur ball and strode determinedly towards the counter.

He had Ginny’s gifts. This Christmas, Ginny would receive the tiny kitten. He knew that Ginny would take loving care of him, and he hoped that she would think of him when looking at the kitten’s eyes and fur. He also hoped that soon he could present her with the Snowy Owl. However, he did not intend to tell this to Ron.

Somehow, he was going to find a way to tell her how he felt during the Christmas holidays. He had almost grabbed her and kissed her the other day, when they had fought about him being lonely. He didn’t want to shock her, but he now understood all the bickering Ron and Hermione were always doing. Anger had been a cloak for their true feelings, but he no longer wanted to hide the way he felt, he wanted to be able to hold her hand, or kiss her, whenever they were together.

After paying, the two wizards hurried back to the castle. Harry left the kitten exploring his dorm room and took Ginny’s future present to the Owlery. He would ask Professor McGonagall if the owl could stay at Hogwarts over the summer.

Then they returned to the Village and joined the witches at the Three Broomsticks. Both Ginny and Hermione were laden with packages, and they looked avidly at the wizards’ empty hands.

Harry was in a state of euphoria. He had made up his mind to tell Ginny how he felt. He had the best present that Ginny would ever receive hidden in his dorm, to say nothing of the owl now residing in Hogwarts’ Owlery. He wasn’t sure why he had bought the owl, just that it had seemed right. He insisted on paying for everyone’s lunch and could feel a silly grin stretching across his face whenever he glanced at Ginny.

Harry caught Hermione grinning as she looked from Ginny to him, and his grin grew to match hers. He felt very relaxed and, for once in his life, completely happy. His best friend, Ron, was sitting across from him. Hermione, whom he loved as a sister, was on his left and Ginny, his friend, saviour and future, sat on his right.

* * * *

Christmas morning dawned bright and cold at the Burrow. Ginny had awakened before daybreak and had already opened the presents on the end of her bed. She had been crying softly into her pillow for the last few minutes. Harry had done it again. Why did she let him always raise her hopes? She should know by now that he had the ability to hurt her more than any other being in the world. Carefully, so she didn’t wake Hermione, she pulled on her robe and stepped out of the bed into her slippers. She didn’t normally wear them, but today they would do double duty. They would keep her feet warm and muffle the sound of her footsteps as she left the room.

Her eyes red and puffy, she made her way down into the kitchen to find the kettle already hot. Someone else must not be able to sleep. She needed time alone to gather her composure, and she prayed that whoever this person was, they had returned to bed. Taking a cup of cocoa into the family room, she sank onto the couch and gazed into the dying embers in the grate. She didn’t notice the wizard sitting in the rocker in the corner. Her tears had begun to flow again, and she pressed the afghan, draped over the arm of the couch, to her face.

She felt the touch of the hand on her head, and the give of the cushion on the couch as someone sat beside her. Thinking it was her Mum, she turned and climbed into her lap, searching for the comfort she always found in her Mum’s arms.

A startled gasp as the arms encircled her had her quickly raising her gaze to stare appalled into the greenest eyes she had ever seen. The emerald eyes that haunted her dreams, and could make her do anything they asked. Mortified, she wondered, ‘where’s a rampaging Hippogriff when you need one?’

“Please don’t cry, Ginny.”

Ginny tried to move, but the arms clamped tighter around her. “Harry, I’m sorry. I thought for a moment that you were my Mum. You can let me go now.”

“You’re fine, you don’t weigh anything. Tell me what’s wrong.”

“I can’t. It would be too embarrassing.” Why did things like this always happen to her? She was right where she wanted to be, but under false pretences.

He changed positions, removing one arm from around her. Using the pad of his thumb, he gently wiped the trace of tears from her face. “You can tell me anything. I told you we were friends.”

“Not this.” She wished she could stay here in his arms forever. His finger had been so gentle when he had wiped away her tears.

Harry sighed and, looking away for a second, seemed to come to a decision. “I’m glad you came down early, Ginny.”

“Why?” There was a steely glint to his eyes that she only had only seen when he was pursuing the Snitch, it was one of quiet determination.

“I’m sorry, but I haven’t had a chance to wrap your present yet.”

“Harry - ” He hadn’t moved, but Ginny felt as if invisible ropes were pulling on her and binding them closely together.

“And I wanted to give it to you in private.”

Ginny could only stare at him. His eyes were saying things to her that she had never noticed before.

“Ginny!” He swallowed and suddenly looked scared, but determinedly continued. “I now realise that the night you were taken into the Chamber of Secrets was the worst night of my life.”

Sweet Merlin, what was he saying? Ginny could feel her heart stop and then begin to race, beating twice as fast a normal.

“I should have jumped at the chance to take you to the Yule Ball, and told you that night how beautiful you were, but I didn’t understand what I was feeling.”

This was Harry talking. He was usually reticent about his feelings. After Sirius had died, it had taken every ounce of courage she possessed to wrest how he was feeling from the secret place inside him, out into the open.

Once he started, the words seemed to spill from somewhere deep in his soul. “It scared me almost to death when you wouldn’t stay behind at Hogwarts when we went to the Ministry last June, and I still couldn’t face what you meant to me.” He stopped and looked away for a moment, before meeting her shocked gaze. “Then, you were injured and I was to blame. I let it happen. I’m so sorry.”

There were tears in his gorgeous eyes. It just about broke her heart all over again. She hadn’t known that she could cause him this much pain. “Hush, Harry. It wasn’t your fault. It was Tom’s and his Death Eaters,” she said, as she brushed the tears from his cheeks.

“I realised two weeks ago after the Quidditch match that you didn’t know how I felt about you. I was amazed, because I had talked with both Hermione and Ron about my feelings. I was sure that you knew.”

“Knew what, Harry?” Ginny wanted a simple answer, one easily understood.

“I don’t think of Ron at all when I look at you.”

“You don’t.”

“You are the only thing on my mind when I look at you. My feelings for you push all other thoughts aside.”

Ginny was beginning to shake, her nerves stretched taut, as she wished with all her being that he would say the words that she had whispered to him in the hospital wing.

Harry felt her shiver and wrapped the afghan that she held in her hands around them both, creating a little cocoon around them. Threading his fingers into her silky hair, he tilted her face up so that she would meet his eyes. “I love you, Ginny Weasley.”

Her eyes closed, as tears of joy began to fall. Reaching out, she clutched his t-shirt with both hands as if she was afraid that she was dreaming, and he would disappear.

He was correct. He did know her better than she had thought. This was the greatest Christmas gift that she would ever receive. He had completely stolen her breath away with his generous present. He had presented her with his feelings without her having to dig for them.

She could feel his breath on her face right before experiencing the sweetest kiss she had ever received. She sighed, and the kiss changed. It deepened in intensity as Harry gathered her closer. Mindless to the world around her, Ginny was solely concentrating on his mouth pressed to hers. She eagerly followed where he was leading her and when he opened his mouth to tease her lips with his tongue she willingly allowed him access.

She was an enthralled pulsating pool of feeling, when sharp claws embedded themselves into her arm. Crying out in pain, she looked down and saw the tiniest kitten she had ever seen. Harry whispered, “I’m sorry, Ginny. I forgot he was inside my top to keep him warm. Did he hurt you?”

Shaking her head, Ginny breathed, “No, not really. Harry, he’s gorgeous. Where did he come from?” She lifted the coal black kitten to eye level and noticed his green eyes. She looked from the boy still cradling her, to the minuscule kitten she was cradling.

“He’s your Christmas present, Ginny. Do you like him?”

“Oh yes, he’s beautiful. But I thought you had just given me my gift.”

“What else did I give you tonight?”

“You!” Ginny said shyly.

Harry grinned at her before replying. “That’s for everyday, not just for Christmas.”


Reviews 31
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear