Search:

SIYE Time:8:47 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 198267; Chapter Total: 7621







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own the Harry Potter World.




Flames





Nathan scooped up Accio and unceremoniously dropped him feet first into his carrier. With a wave of his wand, the door latched shut. Nathan bent down so he was on eye level with his cat’s tail end. Nathan sighed.


“Yes, you are coming to school with me. You may be the only creature, two or four legged, that I’m still on speaking terms with.”


Accio glared over his shoulder at Nathan before settling down in the carrier, his tail trailing out the door.


“You too, eh? So be it.”


Nathan straightened up and took inventory of what remained in his flat. Will, the clerk from Flourish & Blotts, would keep an eye on the place while he was at school. Nathan liked the idea of having a home to come back to when the school year ended. It was as if he was putting down roots. He hadn’t had many roots in his adult life. It was a nice change.


Nathan picked up his mug of tea and took a sip, his eyes following the witches and wizards going about their morning business. He hadn’t slept well. His mind had been too restless. Dumbledore had sent word that Ginny and Harry had made it to Hogwarts. For that, he was very thankful. The Headmaster had also mentioned they had not been informed of his mother’s demise or his role in it. Before they had Disapparated from the Burrow, Nathan had asked Dumbledore to allow him to be the one to tell them what happened. He was responsible for almost getting Harry and Ginny killed. Nathan had felt strongly about being the one to explain why.


His mind hundreds of kilometers away, it took a moment for Nathan to register that his eyes were following a familiar looking straw hat. He blinked and focused on the wide brim, the brown plait of hair coming from the back, the hurried gate that had mesmerized him so many times before, so many years ago. The ceramic mug slipped from Nathan’s fingers and fell, smashing to bits on the hardwood floor. Tea splashed over Nathan’s shoes and trouser legs. He didn’t notice. Leaning forward, he pressed his forehead against the window glass, his eyes searching for the straw hat. He couldn’t find it. Accio meowed his impatience at being caged for an unnecessary length of time. Nathan rubbed his eyes.


“Sorry, old man,” Nathan answered, reaching for his wand to clean up the shattered pieces of his mug. “I — thought — well, it doesn’t matter.”


Picking up the cat’s carrier, Nathan swung his satchel around his shoulders and picked up the handle of his trunk. Raising his wand, Nathan looked at Accio.


“Next stop,” he told the cat, “Hogsmeade then Hogwarts.”


With a ‘POP!’, cat, man and trunk were gone.


++++


Anna tried to wrap her hands around her cup of tea to warm them and frowned. Anna was a breakfast eater. If asked, she would readily admit she’d take a platter filled with hotcakes and bangers or an endless bowl of porridge with cream over an elegant multi-course dinner any day. Breakfast had no pretensions. It was a meal designed to start your day off right. Looking down at the three small tea cakes Madam Puddifoot had served her, Anna didn’t feel like her day was getting off on the right foot at all. How was she supposed to have the strength to find a place to live on that?


Sighing, Anna lifted the tea cup to her lips and glanced around the tea shop at the other patrons. It was her fault she was having to make due with three undernourished breakfast pastries. She had overslept, her alarm charm having been set for PM instead of AM. Waking up half an hour late, Anna had thrown on yesterday’s clothes, shoved her straw hat over her frazzled hair and rushed out of her bedroom at the Leaky Cauldron.


Arriving at White & Associates Home Finders a half hour tardy, the listing agent’s assistant informed her in a bored tone that since she had unfortunately missed her appointment and since they were horribly busy with other important clients, Anna would have to wait until this afternoon. Unless, of course, Anna was willing to Apparate to Hogsmeade and wait until the listing agent was done which would most likely be sometime around lunch. The assistant shut her brightly painted pink lips and stared at Anna. Anna blinked back, wondering how the young girl had said all of that in one breath without any inflection in her voice at all.


In the end, her stomach rumbling and in need of a large mug of tea, Anna had agreed to meet the listing agent in Hogsmeade. After all, she had decided she could use the time to get a decent breakfast and explore her new town. Anna dispiritedly picked up one of her tea cakes and bit it into it. Maybe moving to Hogsmeade wasn’t such a good idea, she mused as she set the cake down and picked up her tea cup. Could she really be happy in a town that didn’t serve a decent breakfast?


The bell over the door jingled. Anna looked up to see a harried looking witch with a clipboard and a large bag slung over her shoulder bustle in. The witch scanned the room, her gaze landing on Anna. Her hand outstretched, the witch wove her way through the tables.


“Maggie White, White & Associates. You must be Anna Patterson.”


“Uh, yes, I am,” Anna said, reaching out to shake Maggie’s hand and starting to stand up.


“No, no, don’t get up,” Maggie said, gratefully sinking into the seat across from Anna. “I could use the break.”


“I am so sorry I missed our appointment this morning,” Anna apologized.


“No worries, dear. Life is too short not to sleep in every now and again, be it on purpose or accidentally. Now, Lucy, my assistant, told me you’re looking at Hogsmeade. Well, of course, you are. We’re here, after all. These days, I like my clients to know exactly what they’re getting into. You do realize Hogwarts is in the near vicinity?”


Anna nodded, confused as to where this line of questioning was going.


“And you know students come into town on the occasional weekend?”


Confectioner's sugar from the tea cake flew up Anna’s nose as she snorted.


“Is something the matter?” Maggie asked, peering over the top of her clipboard.


“No, nothing,” Anna said, rubbing the bottom of her nose with the back of her hand. Students were the least of her worries.


“So, what are you looking for in a new home?”


Anna took a deep breath and smiled at Maggie, her disappointment over her morning meal fading as her future came into focus.


+++++


The light filtering through Harry’s closed eyelids was suddenly blocked out by a shadow. Even though his eyes weren’t open, Harry’s entire being knew who belonged to that shadow. He could feel her breath on his cheek as the clean, fresh scent of her hair floated around him. He turned his head on his pillow and felt his glasses slide up onto his nose. Harry slowly opened his eyes. Ginny smiled at him, her chin resting on her hands, her nose almost touching his.


“Good morning,” she said softly.


“’morning,” Harry replied, his mouth feeling like it was full of cotton.


“How are you feeling?” Ginny asked, reaching up to brush Harry’s hair back with her fingers.


“I don’t know,” he replied, blinking at the morning sun. “I don’t hurt, but then again, I haven’t tried moving. I could use a glass of water, though.”


“Oh, of course,” Ginny said, reaching over for a glass on the table between the beds. “Madam Pompfrey said the sleeping draught she gave you would make you thirsty.”


Harry hesitantly propped himself up on his elbow. His muscles felt stiff, but the shooting pain that had hindered their progress through the forest was gone. Ginny held the glass up to his lips and helped him take a drink.


“What happened?” Harry asked as he carefully flopped back onto his pillow.


“Well,” Ginny started, “two Death Eaters were in the clearing. Hagrid killed one with his crossbow. The other Disapparated. Madam Pompfrey thinks the Cruciatus Curse weakened your magical reserves and when you tried to hex the Death Eater, you depleted whatever you had left and blacked out.”


Harry flushed. Fainting seemed so — so pathetic. Ginny covered his hand with hers.


“Harry, Madam Pompfrey thinks because of how the curse entered your body, it was magnified to a point that would kill most adult wizards. The fact you are still alive is,” Ginny paused, her voice cracking, “well, surprising.”


Harry slowly flipped his hand over to squeeze Ginny’s. “This isn’t your fault, Ginny.”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and nodded.


“How did we get back here?” Harry asked, wanting to divert Ginny. Carefully rolling over on his side, Harry watched as she tried holding back her grin, failing miserably at the attempt. He wondered if he had it in him to lean up and kiss those smiling lips.


“Grawp carried you.”


The sight of Grawp splitting the tree in the forest crossed Harry’s mind and it occurred to him that it was probably a good thing he blacked out.


“How are you feeling?” Harry asked, his eyes roving over Ginny’s face. She looked pale, but rested. And, Harry realized thankfully, her eyes had lost that haunted look he had seen in them in the forest.


“Better. In fact, Madam Pompfrey has told me I can move into Gryffindor Tower today. You know, it will be good to have a little extra time to unpack,” she joked.


Harry chuckled. “Has she said anything about me?”


“No, Mr. Potter, I have not. I was waiting for you to wake up,” Madam Pompfrey’s voice broke into their conversation. Standing at the end of Harry’s bed, Madam Pompfrey studied her patient. “How are you feeling?”


Harry pushed himself up on his elbow. “Stiff,” he commented after the effort, “but so far, the pain seems to have subsided.”


Madam Pompfrey nodded. “Once again, Mr. Potter, you are a lucky young man. But then again,” she said, raising her eyebrows at Ginny, “maybe it’s not all due to luck.” Walking around the side of his bed, she ran her wand up and down Harry and touched his forehead. “I would say one more night here and then you may return to Gryffindor Tower. Miss Weasley, you need to allow Mr. Potter to rest.” Madam Pompfrey looked pointedly at Ginny who realized the nurse wasn’t leaving without her.


Ginny reluctantly stood up. Leaning forward, Ginny placed a soft kiss on Harry’s lips. “I’ll be back later,” she whispered as she backed up. Giving Harry a small wave, Ginny pushed open the doors of the Hospital wing and disappeared from view.


+++++



Ginny aimlessly wandered down the first floor corridor. The castle was waiting in anticipation for the arrival of students in a few days. The floors were polished, the windows sparkled as much as they could, the torches were trimmed and waiting. Ginny stopped and stood still, looking up and down the passageway trying to put her finger on what felt so strange. It was quiet — perhaps too quiet for a structure designed to house yet not contain the lives of adolescent witches and wizards. Ginny smiled to herself. It was almost as if the castle was a living, breathing entity that was lonely and feeling a little lost without its purpose.


“They’ll be here soon enough,” Ginny reassured the ceiling. “Then you will start wishing for the holidays!”


Giggling at herself, Ginny continued on her way, a spring in her footsteps. Harry was getting better! Things were getting better! They were back at Hogwarts, safe and sound. And once Harry was healed, they could do the bonding again. Any doubts Ginny had about her abilities to perform the bond were gone. It had been working in the clearing by Catarina’s cottage. She could feel it, see it, almost touch it. More importantly, Harry could, too.


Deciding some fresh air would do her good, Ginny turned in the direction of the Great Hall and the front doors. Passing the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, she was surprised to see the door open. Peeking inside, she heard a noise coming from Professor Borgin’s office. Professor Borgin’s back, she thought optimistically. Weaving her way through the desks to the office, Ginny knocked on the door. The noise inside stopped.


“Yes?”


Ginny slowly pushed the door open and peered inside. “Professor Borgin?”


Nathan looked up from the satchel he was unpacking and smiled hesitantly at her. “Hello, Ginny. Come in. How are you doing?”


Ginny smiled at Professor Borgin and stepped in. “Madam Pompfrey told me you were alright and would be back soon. How’s Catarina? Will she be coming soon, too?”


Ginny watched in surprise as Nathan’s expression clouded over. An aura of pain and exhaustion enveloped his person, radiating off him in waves Ginny could almost touch. Nathan motioned to one of the chairs in front of his desk and Ginny sat down, not taking her eyes from his face. Nathan cleared his throat and returned his attention to the satchel. Keeping his eyes focused on the parchment and quills he removed from the bag, he blinked back the sudden warm wetness he felt behind his eyelids. He knew Ginny was waiting for an answer but he kept silent for a moment, trying to reign in his emotions. After everything he had kept from this young girl, the fact she remained willing to speak to him amazed him. He wasn’t so sure she would be so willing after what he had to tell her next.


Dipping his hand back into the satchel one last time, Nathan removed his mother’s journal and carefully set it on his desk. He then flipped the top of the satchel closed and buckled the buckles. Setting it down on the floor by his feet, he straightened up and reached for his mother’s book, opening it to the page where the picture rested. Reverently, he picked up the picture and placed it against the books on the bookshelf behind his desk. I need to get a frame for that, he thought.


“Professor Borgin?” Ginny said quietly.


Nathan exhaled and turned back to face Ginny. “Where’s Harry?”


“In the Hospital Wing,” Ginny answered, a sense of foreboding beginning to creep into her heart at his toneless voice. “Why?”


“Is he better?”


“Yes. Madam Pompfrey said he would be able to leave the Hospital Wing tomorrow.”


Nathan sighed and ran his hand through his hair before resting it on his hips. “Well, then, I would rather only say this once. Do you mind if we head to the Hospital Wing?”


Not waiting for an answer, Nathan stepped around his desk and walked out the office door, leaving a stunned Ginny in his wake.


+++++


Nathan stood at the end of Harry’s bed, his hands clasped together, his eyes moving from Harry’s face to Ginny’s, trying to gauge their reaction.


“Sh — she’s dead?” Ginny whispered disbelievingly.


Nathan nodded.


“She fought Voldemort,” Harry stated flatly.


Nathan nodded again.


“And you - you brought him there?” Ginny asked, struggling to get her mind around the unthinkable. “You brought him into your mother’s home knowing he would kill her?”


Nathan nodded. He was at a loss for what else to do or say. Every nerve in his body tingled as he waited for the story to sink in. He needed them to react. Even if they hated him, he needed to know it was done.


Ginny swallowed, her face pale, her skin prickling with chills despite the warm August sun pouring in the windows. She sat down on the edge of Harry’s bed, feeling him shift slightly to make room for her.


“Why did she do it?” Ginny asked, her heart beginning to break through the numbness, pushing tears upward and outward.


Nathan swallowed, a selfish glimmer of hope springing up inside. If Ginny was asking questions, perhaps all was not lost.


“She,” Nathan’s voice cracked. Swallowing, he began again. “My mother never forgave herself for what she did. She had vowed many years ago that if given the opportunity, she would do what she could to make things right. She used the only weapon available to her to do irreparable damage to her bond.”


“And she asked for your help?” Ginny whispered.


“She asked for me to do what I could.”


Harry’s head came up and he locked gazes with Nathan. “Irreparable damage?”


“The Ancient Magic form of an Obliteration Charm, for lack of a better term, fries the bonds. It’s as if you were to take a match to a piece of Muggle nylon rope and let it melt — nothing can be woven there again. In other words, Tom will never be able to bond with anyone ever again.”


“Does he know that?” Harry asked.


“No.”


“Are you going to tell him?”


“Not if I can help it,” Nathan answered truthfully. Unclasping his hands, Nathan walked around the end of Harry’s bed and sat down on the bed opposite him. “I do need to tell him something soon. I have my mother’s journal with her notes on Obliteration Charms. I’m hoping to find something suitable in there. It is not a widely accepted practice.”


“They are considered the Unforgivable Curses of Mediators,” Ginny said quietly. Nathan looked at her surprised and she shrugged. “Your mum told me a little about them. But she never said she would ever consider using one.”


Nathan nodded, his gaze shifting to the toes of his shoes. Ginny wiped at the tears dampening her cheeks. Harry moved to put his arm around her and pulled her against him, her head resting on his shoulder. The air in the ward pulsed with grief and regret, as the three of them contemplated a life given in hopes of a brighter future.


“What do we do now?” Ginny asked quietly.


Nathan kept his eyes on his shoes as he answered, not wanting to pressure Harry and Ginny by his gaze. “If I were in your position, I would go through with the bond. Your blood is still a valuable commodity, so to speak. In addition, your bond can be beneficial to both you and Harry, which may come in handy in the future.”


Ginny blinked then nodded against Harry’s shoulder. The war. Of course.


“Is there anything else you haven’t told us?” Harry asked coldly.


“No,” Nathan said, his eyes steady with Harry’s. “You know everything I do.”


Pushing himself off the bed, Nathan glanced at the teenagers. “I’ll let you think about it. You are safe here.”


“Professor Borgin?” Ginny said, stopping Nathan as he walked toward the doors. “Who would take over my training, now th — that Catarina is gone?” She hiccupped as she tried to strengthen her quivering voice.


“I’m not sure, Ginny,” Nathan replied honestly, walking back to the end of Harry’s bed. “I know Professor Snape is very knowledgeable regarding Blood Bonds-“


“Absolutely not!” Harry exclaimed. “I will not have Snape messing with-“


Nathan held up his hands to stop Harry’s tirade. “Harry, I understand your relationship with Severus Snape. I am not suggesting that he teach Ginny. We may need to consult him, though.”


“We?” Ginny asked. “You mean you would teach me?”


“Well,” Nathan replied, “I can try. With help, I think we can still do it. But Ginny,” Nathan said, looking at her earnestly, “you should know, your mother is not happy about all of this.”


Patting the end of the bed with his knuckles, Nathan turned and headed back to the door. Harry took Ginny’s hands and squeezed. Taking a steadying breath, she called out, “Thank you, Professor Borgin. I will worry about my family. You need to worry about teaching me. Your mother said I kept her on her toes.”


Nathan stopped, his palm resting flat on the door to the Hospital Wing. He didn’t know what he had done to deserve this, but he was grateful. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Harry wrap his arms around Ginny, who had given into her grief over the loss of her mentor. Harry glanced up and met Nathan’s eyes. Nathan inclined his head in thanks as the door closed behind him.


+++++


After leaving Harry and Ginny, Nathan made his way back to his office. A sudden burst of industrial energy coursing through his veins sustained him through several hours of poring over manuals and texts on Mediators. Closing the cover on a particularly intricate one, Nathan felt the hollowness that had taken up residence in his chest return. The shadows slanting across the top of his desk spoke of the approaching evening. He pushed his chair back from his desk and his stomach turned. Perhaps that empty feeling in his middle wasn’t all emotional, he mused. He realized he hadn’t eaten since breakfast.


Stepping into the corridor, Nathan made his way toward the Great Hall. He nodded at Professor McGonagall and followed his instinct to keep walking right out the front doors. The lazy breeze tickling his robes foretold of coming changes. Students would soon be traveling up this road, filling the hallways, pouring through the castle. Sadly, fewer than last year. Death Eater attacks had seen to that. Nathan quickened his pace.


Pushing his shoulder against the thick, solid wood door of the Three Broomsticks, Nathan entered the pub. A handful of patrons were scattered throughout the room, and thankfully, none of them were all that interested in the newcomer. Nathan wove his way through the tables and sat down on a stool facing the bar.


“Professor Borgin,” Madam Rosmerta greeted him with a smile. “Welcome back! Your usual?” she asked as she reached for a Butterbeer.


“Firewhiskey,” Nathan replied firmly, folding his hands in front of him.


Madam Rosmerta raised her eyebrows at her patron. “You sure about that?” she asked glancing up as the door to the pub opened again.


“Yes.”


Shrugging, Madam Rosmerta placed a glass in front of Nathan and poured. “Go easy on that,” she warned as she placed the bottle of Odgen’s on the bar next to Nathan. “You won’t find any answers in there.”


“I’m not looking for answers,” Nathan replied picking up the glass and eyeing it. “I’m looking for forgiveness.”


“Well,” the barkeep replied, wiping her hands on her apron, “the best you’ll do there is forgetfulness. But it always comes back, dear.”


Nathan heard a chair scrape as he lifted the glass to his lips. The unmistaken smell of pure grain alcohol burned his nostrils as he began to tilt the liquid fire into his mouth. His lips opened as a sudden force slammed into his back. The glass flew from his hands and bounced off the top of the bar, down to the floor, splattering whiskey everywhere. Fuming, Nathan whirled around and stood up.


“What the bloody hell do you think you’re do-“


“Oh, I’m so sorry! I — I tripped. Here, are you al —“


Madam Rosmerta stepped up to the bar and waved her wand, cleaning up the spilled drink. Her eyes darted between the witch and wizard on the other side. They stood there, staring at each other, mouths open wide. She was pretty sure if she poked her wand at the air separating these two, sparks would explode from it. Being a good barkeep, Madam Rosmerta knew when to listen close up and when to listen from afar. Picking up Nathan’s glass, she stepped back and went to the other end of the bar, her eyes never leaving the couple who obviously weren’t strangers.


Nathan recovered first. “Anna? What the hell are you doing here? Were — were you in Diagon Alley this morning? What — what…” Nathan’s voice trailed off, his anger morphing into confusion, his heart thumping wildly in his chest.


Anna could feel herself blushing wildly as she reached up and dragged the straw hat off her head. Nervously, she tucked a flyaway brown curl behind her ear. “Nathan! I’m sorry, really. Are you alright? Oh, heavens,” Anna clutched the brim of her hat in her hands, her eyes darting anywhere but at Nathan. Releasing the hat with one hand, she pressed the bridge of her nose with it. This wasn’t how I pictured this at all!


“Pardon?”


“Oh, damn, I did it again,” Anna said, finally meeting Nathan’s eyes. She remembered those eyes. She could loose herself in those eyes.


Nathan surprised himself by grinning. “You said that out loud.” He had forgotten that she did that. “Where have you been? Why are you here?”


Anna swallowed and looked at the bar. “How about I replace what I spilled and we talk?” she said, motioning to Madam Rosmerta. “Two of whatever he had.”


“Firewhiskey?” Madam Rosmerta asked skeptically.


“Firewhiskey,” Nathan and Anna answered simultaneously, nodding.


“Suit yourself,” Madam Rosmerta said placing two glasses on the bar and filling them.


Anna reached out for a glass and led the way to a booth at the end of the bar. She scooted in, plopping her hat on the seat next to her. Nathan sat down at the other end, the hat acting as chaperone between them.


“So,” Anna started, her fingers wrapped around her glass. “I’m back.”


Nathan stared at her incredulously. “You’re back? That’s all you have to say?”


Anna inflated her cheeks like a chipmunk and slowly released the air. “Oh, crap,” she exclaimed. Picking up her glass, Anna drained it in one gulp, grimacing as the burning liquid shot down her throat and splashed in the pit of her stomach. She winced. “Should have eaten lunch,” she muttered as she set her glass down. Taking a deep breath, she met Nathan’s questioning gaze.


“Yes, I’m back. Or perhaps I should say I’m here. In fact, I just rented a little cottage on the edge of town. Gringotts offered me a position in London. It sounded like a good thing and it was time to get out of Egypt. I had some things I needed to look into here. I just arrived in London yesterday. I Apparated up here today and now, I’m rambling,” Anna took a breath and smiled apologetically at Nathan. “What are you doing here?”


Nathan’s mind raced to catch up with Anna’s words, his tongue suddenly tied and no intelligent words coming to the forefront of his brain. “I work here. Well, not here. I teach. At Hogwarts. I’m a teacher at Hogwarts.”


Nathan mentally kicked himself. Why did this woman have this power over him? Mere minutes in her presence and years of polish went right down the tube. He felt like he was a first year student with his first serious crush all over again. But then, it had always been like this with her.


“You’re a professor? That’s brilliant! I’m positive you make a smashing professor.”


“Uh, thank you,” Nathan said flushing. Taking a sip of his Firewhiskey, he contemplated his next question. “How are your parents?”


“Dead, thank you,” Anna answered, then giggled. Nathan glanced up at her strange behavior. “I’m sorry. That was uncalled for. Too much whiskey, not enough food,” Anna commented rubbing the bridge of her nose. “A ceiling of a tomb collapsed on my parents approximately six months ago.”


“I’m sorry,” Nathan replied.


“No, you’re not,” Anna shook her head at him. “Nathan, be honest. You never liked my parents. My parents never liked you. Well, my mother never liked you.”


“No, I am sorry,” Nathan repeated. “I am sorry because their deaths would have hurt you.”


Anna sat back in the booth surprised. “Th — Thank you,” she said quietly. “To be honest, we had grown apart over the past couple years. A difference in opinions, you might say.”


Madame Rosmerta stopped at their table and picked up Anna’s empty glass. “Another?” she asked.


Anna shook her head. “No. Thank you. I need food.”


Madame Rosemerta nodded and walked away. Anna rested her elbows on the table and leaned toward Nathan. “Nathan, I’m not here to interfere in your life or cause any problems. I will be working in London so we shouldn’t be bumping into each other too much. If it becomes a problem, I will find another place closer to work.”


Nathan could almost see the words coming out of his mouth, his brain screaming for him to reel them in. “Oh, no, that’s alright. In fact, would you like to come up to Hogwarts? You could say hello to Professor Dumbledore if you like.”


Nathan inwardly cringed. What was he thinking? She had taken his then twenty one year old heart in her hands, thrown it on the ground and stomped on it. Now, almost twenty years later, he was on the verge of giving it to her again? He really was an idiot.


“Oh,” Anna blinked. “Well, if you like.”


If he liked? If he liked? Well, now that he handed it to her, she doesn’t want it? He was more than an idiot. He was a fool. A fool who couldn’t keep his mouth shut.


“Sure. Just send an owl to Hogwarts when you get settled and we can set up a time.” Nathan forced himself to stand up, leaving his half empty glass of Firewhiskey sitting on the table.


“You look good, Nathan,” Anna said softly, smiling up at him.


He couldn't stop himself. He opened his mouth.


“You do too, Anna.”


And before he said anything else, Nathan turned on his heels and practically ran out the door.


Madame Rosemerta wandered over to the table and picked up Nathan’s glass, her eyes on the closing door. “You’re new here, aren’t you?” she asked.


Anna nodded.


“You aren’t new to him, though.”


Anna shook her head. “No, I’m not. I wish I was though. Then I could do it all over and not muck it up this time!”


With that, Anna picked up her straw hat and shoved it on her head. Scooting out of the booth, she nodded her thanks at the barkeep and headed toward the door.


+++++


Ginny sat staring at the fire in the Gryffindor Common room. Dobby had asked her if she wanted one. She had felt a little foolish saying yes, after all, it was just her and it wasn’t all that cold. But the house elf had happily set the first fire of the term in the fireplace, snapped his fingers and had flames dancing in mere seconds. Now, sitting here on the overstuffed couch, her chin resting on her knees, she was thankful for the added warmth of the fire. Sniffling, she rubbed her forehead on her knee. A dull ached spread from ear to ear, a leftover reminder of the tears she had shed for her mentor and friend. Rubbing her upper arms, Ginny wished briefly she had brought a blanket down with her. Looking longingly over her shoulder at the stairs, she thought briefly of the moment she had managed to summon her wand in the forest clearing the end of last term. Perhaps if she closed her eyes and concentrated…


“Here, this will keep you warm.”


Ginny’s scream was cut off by a warm familiar hand covering her mouth.


“Shhh, Gin, it’s me!” Harry said quickly, climbing over the back of the couch, a blanket in his free arm.


“Harry!” Ginny exclaimed as he removed his hand. “What are you doing here?”


“Don’t tell anyone,” Harry leaned forward, whispering conspiratorially, “but I broke out.”


Ginny giggled as she shifted over to make room for Harry. “Are you sure you’re alright?”


“Yeah,” Harry said, snuggling up to Ginny and covering them with the blanket. “I just thought it must be really lonely in the common room with no one else around.”


“That’s really sweet of you, Harry,” Ginny said, tucking her hair behind her ear.


Harry grinned. “And to be honest, I was really lonely in the Hospital Wing all by myself.” Ginny snorted.


“Are you alright?” Harry asked concerned.


Ginny nodded slowly. “I’m going to miss her.”


“Yeah, I know,” Harry agreed, placing a kiss on Ginny’s forehead.


“Madam Pompfrey is going to be really mad if you aren’t in your bed in the morning.”


Harry snorted. “Madam Pompfrey is just being overly protective. I’m fine. Besides, I’ll be back before she knows I’m gone. Dobby promised to come back in a couple of hours to sneak me back there.”


“Dobby helped you?” Ginny asked surprised.


“Yeah,” Harry grinned as he curled a strand of Ginny’s hair around his finger.


“You know, I kind of like Dobby,” Ginny said moving her head forward on the pillow they shared so she could slowly rub her nose against Harry’s.


“Yeah,” Harry answered, his breath catching in his throat. “I do, too,” he whispered, before shifting his head so it wasn’t just their noses kissing.




++++


A/N — Don’t look now, I’ve gone fluffy. But a little fluff never hurt anyone. Of course, the question is, how long will it last…


I owe and apology for not mentioning Been Reading’s input in the last chapter — thank you for asking why!


My thanks to my Beta/collaborator wvchemteach and beta Kissmegrint for making this whole thing work.
Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear