Search:

SIYE Time:15:44 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 198338; Chapter Total: 7284







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own Harry Potter.




Insurance





Joanna Blevins groaned as she fell into the chair next to Ginny’s, dropping her book bag on the floor with a thud and hiding her flaming face in the crook of her elbow on the table. Sighing heavily, she waited for a response. She heard a page turn. She heard a quill tap on the side of an ink bottle then scratch on some parchment. Noisily, she sighed again. She heard another book land on the table. Annoyed, Joanna lifted her head.


“Ginny! I’m trying to be dramatic here and you’re not paying attention!”


“Sorry, Joanna,” Ginny replied distractedly, her attention focused on the book in front of her.


“Ginny, you’re failing miserably at the role of sympathetic friend. You’re supposed to be asking, ‘What’s wrong, Joanna? Did something happen, Joanna? What do you mean you ruined all chances of ever making a decent impression on the man of your dreams, Joanna?’” Joanna propped her cheek against her hand.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, making another notation on the parchment.


“Ginny, I can’t imagine why you think your Potions homework or Charms essay or whatever you are working on right now could be more important than listening to how your dear dorm mate and friend just made an absolute fool of herself in front of the boy she would like most to kiss her from head to toe.”


Eyes wide, Ginny stopped writing and turned to Joanna. “Do tell,” she grinned.


“Oh, fine, now you want to pay attention just so you can rib me about it later.”


“Of course not,” Ginny replied, setting down her quill. “I’m going to rib you now. Spill.”


“At least you’re honest,” Joanna snorted, sitting up straighter. “I was in the greenhouse working with the Veiled Polypore Spores we were studying in Herbology yesterday. Professor Sprout was feeling ill so she had Neville help out with the extra session,” Joanna sighed as clouds crossed her eyes. “Anyway, Neville came by our table and asked if I had any questions.”


Joanna crossed her arms on the table once more and hid her face from view. As Ginny leaned forward to catch what Joanna was mumbling, she noticed the fine layer of pink dust covering her friend, from the top of her blonde hair to the tips of her polished black shoes. Ginny bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing out right.


“Joanna,” Ginny whispered into her ear, “I can’t hear you. You’re going to have to speak up.”


Joanna raised her woeful gaze to Ginny’s. “He made me so nervous. My mind went blank. My mouth opened and nothing intelligible came out. I lost all motor coordination. And then I accidentally popped my spore with the pair of trimmers I was holding.”


“What happened to Neville?” Ginny asked, fighting to contain the giggles.


“Oh,” Joanna said, her voice unnaturally high even for a girl, “Madam Pomfrey says the pink skin tone will wear off in a week or so. In the meantime, he should avoid direct sunlight and not wear red.” Joanna’s embarrassment gave way to giggles. “Oh, Ginny,” she gasped, wiping at the tears seeping from her eyes, “I’ve passed him in the common room for six years. Six years! How come, all of a sudden, my hormones decide to go batty for Neville Longbottom?”


“Well,” Ginny said, smiling broadly, “what did Neville do once he was pink from head to toe?”


“He smiled at me,” Joanna sighed, “and I was right back at blathering idiot stage all over again.”


“See, that’s why,” Ginny said. “The world needs more blathering idiots.”


“Takes one to know one,” Joanna replied dryly.


“Yeah,” Ginny grinned good naturedly. “Misery loves company.”


“And what good company it is,” Joanna said, reaching down and pulling a book out of her bag.


++++++


The day before the registration, Snape stood in the Dark Lord’s study.


“It is untested, my lord,” he said, handing a small vial filled with a clear reddish brown liquid to the Dark Lord.


“What do you mean, ‘untested’?” Lord Voldemort hissed, holding the vial up to the firelight to examine it.


“I mean there is no record of this potion being used before, my lord,” Snape replied evenly. “The spell is one of Borgin’s.” Snape didn’t even try to hide the disgust in his voice.


“Borgin has not proven to be the most trustworthy of supporters, my lord,” Lucius Malfoy said, his eyes focused on the vial.


“Borgin knows what will happen if he betrays me,” Voldemort hissed, bringing the potion to his lips.


Snape’s black eyes held no emotion as he watched the Dark Lord swallow the last drop, close his eyes and exhale. Snape knew what would come next and he nodded as it unfolded before his eyes. The Dark Lord smiled, feeling his blood warm to the mixture of bonded blood flowing within him. His eyes opened, triumph shining in them as he felt strength flood through him. Pain disappeared as power returned.


Voldemort faced Lucius and Snape who stood side by side in front of the closed drapes. His mouth widened, his lips opened and he laughed the laugh of the healed. The icy, nerve chilling sound spread throughout the study, swelling in volume as the Dark Lord celebrated. Snape watched and waited.


As readily as the cackling started, it stopped in a gasp. Voldemort’s eyes widened and the vial fell to the floor as his hands clutched his throat. He choked on the air. He blinked, agony filling his eyes. His chest heaved as he drew in a great raspy breath and screamed.


Lucius clapped his hands over his ears as the deafening sound pierced his eardrums. Malfoy stood in shock, his mouth open, his eyes wide, the blood draining out of his already pale face as he watched his master fall to the floor, writhing in agony. He looked desperately at Snape who was standing there, his features a composed look of concern.


“NO!” Voldemort rasped, clawing at his arms, raking his nails over his face.


Lucius whipped open the drapes to get a better look at his master. Morning sunlight flooded the stale atmosphere of the study.


“SHUT THOSE!” Voldemort screamed, as his hands flew to his eyes. “WHAT DID YOU GIVE ME?” he gasped, spasms wracking his body.


“It was the potion, my lord,” Snape said. “The one Borgin —“


“DO NOT BLAME BORGIN FOR YOUR MISTAKES!” Voldemort shrieked, raising his wand. His scaly hand shook violently as the blood in his veins curdled with the hatred that had been unmasked in the blood. “CRUCIO!


Green light flashed from the tip of Voldemort’s wand, but the curse lacked strength. The pain that shot through Snape’s body caused him to gasp but he remained standing, his eyes fixed on the Dark Lord. Voldemort’s breath was ragged, his eyes raged with pain as his chest heaved. He tried to push himself off the floor but his arms gave out. Lucius knelt beside him, hooked his arms under the Dark Lord’s and heaved him into a chair.


“My lord, it wasn’t me,” Snape stated, his voice cold and calculating. “It was Borgin’s spell. He gave it to me. He knew what it would do.”


“I don’t want to hear your excuses,” Voldemort hissed, his head sinking back into the chair. “Get out.”


Snape pursed his lips. He nodded at the Dark Lord and exited the room without another word, closing the study door behind him.


“My lord,” Lucius said, his hands clasped together. “My lord, I am your faithful servant.”


“Then how could you let them do this to me?” Voldemort wheezed.


“I didn’t know, my lord, ” Lucius answered, carefully calculating his answers. “I am not an expert in Ancient Magic. I have very little knowledge on the subject. Like yourself, I have had to rely on Borgin and what he has told us.”


The silence between master and servant was broken only by Voldemort’s struggle to breath beyond the pain. This encouraged Lucius to continue.


“Borgin was familiar with the Immortality Spell but did not try to stop us. He only came forward after,” Lucius mused out loud, pausing to let the words sink in. “He led us to his mother, yes, but he never told us about the possibility of her doing you damage.”


Lucius knelt in front of his master, his eyes on the floor.


“My lord, it does make me wonder what else he has been holding back from you,” he said quietly.


Lucius felt Voledmort’s body go still.


“What do you mean, Lucius?” Voldemort asked coldly.


“My lord, I am only saying perhaps he has found out something about his mother - perhaps he knows more than he is letting on. If he does, that knowledge might be something he doesn’t want you to know. And to keep you from finding out, he might try to harm you.”


Lucius slowly reached across the rug and picked up the empty vial. He held it up and met the Dark Lord’s gaze.


“He is a fool, then,” Voldemort hissed, his eyes opening and meeting Lucius’. “The potion - the potion today. It had her blood in it. I could feel it.”


“Are you sure it was the right potion, my lord?”


“It doesn’t matter,” Voldemort hissed, his face cracking into a weak smile of satisfaction. “He failed. He did not kill me. And now I have her blood in me. That means I am protected. That means she can heal me.”


Lucius stood up and stepped back from his master’s chair. He nodded as his mind raced. His lips cracked into a triumphant sneer.


“I will bring them to you, my lord,” Malfoy whispered. “I am your faithful servant.”




+++++



“WEASLEY!”


“Yes , Minister,” Percy called breathlessly, dropping an armful of parchment on his desk and rushing to the door of Fudge’s office.


“Where are my notes, Weasley? They were right here. I can’t give my speech without the notes!” Cornelius Fudge fretted as he shuffled papers to and fro in search of his lost speech.


“Here, sir,” Percy said, picking up a roll of parchment tied with a forest green ribbon that had been charmed to have a moving message on it reading, Registration Day Speech.


“Oh, very good, Weasley,” Fudge said, accepting the roll and clutching it in his hands. “Is The Daily Prophet here?”


“Yes, sir,” Percy sighed. He squelched his feeling of frustration with the knowledge that his role today was bigger than the Minister of Magic would ever realize. “I have set them up in the hall off the main lobby as you requested. They were enjoying the refreshments when I checked on them last.”


“Good, good. And Potter? And Miss Weas - well, now, it’s a relation, isn’t it? I hadn’t made the connection until just now,” Fudge said approaching the lifts and pressing the button.


“Yes, it is Ginny,” Percy replied as he allowed a small smile of pride to breakthrough. Over the past few weeks, Percy had gained a new respect for his sister. Any guilt he had had about moving the Registration later in November had been erased as he learned about who his sister had become. “They are scheduled to arrive at the top of the hour,” Percy replied, patting his pockets. “Sir, I forgot something,” he exclaimed, stopping and turning. “I’ll be right back.”


“Hurry up, then. I’ll hold the lift,” Fudge said, stepping inside.


Rushing back to his desk, Percy frantically shuffled the rolls of parchment aside to uncover a simple gold pocket watch. Percy glanced at it quickly. He could have sworn the one Dumbledore sent him had a small gold knob in the middle of the front cover. He must have been mistaken. Grabbing the watch, Percy shoved it in his pocket and hurried back to the lifts.


+++++


Ginny took a step closer to Harry. He squeezed her hand reassuringly. She shot him a small smile before returning her attention to the Ministry witch who was circling them. Ginny knew she should be soaking up every minute detail of the Department of Mysteries because Hermione was going to grill her on it when they returned. Instead, she found herself staring at the witch who hadn’t stopped looking them up and down since she had met them by the Fountain of Magical Brethren.


The witch had introduced herself as, “Stella Boggins, Records and Recordings Specialist, Department of Mysteries.” Ginny had had the absurd desire to salute her but settled on a nervous smile and a handshake instead. Patting her perfectly coiffed graying hair, Stella had explained to them the first part of the registration was logging in the blood — they had brought the blood, hadn’t they? Nathan pulled the vial out of the inside of his robe pocket to show her. After the blood, they would be required to sign the registry. Following that, the Minister had arranged for a small gathering of dignitaries and press, since, after all, the registration of a Mediator was a rather big deal.


Newly minted apparition license in her pocket, Ginny took the quill Stella offered her. She felt Harry squeeze her hand before she stepped forward to sign her name in the Registration of Mediators log. Her and Harry’s signatures would be to the right of where the quill had originally recorded their names last month. Holding the tip just above the parchment, Ginny nervously glanced back at Nathan and Harry. Somehow, she had wished Professor Dumbledore or McGonagall or even her father had been able to come with them. Strength in numbers, she supposed. But Professor McGonagall had said Dumbledore had been called away on urgent business and she needed to stay at the castle in his place. Her father had received an emergency call that morning regarding a series of laundry hampers that had been charmed to grow fangs and eat anything placed inside them, including unsuspecting hands holding soiled laundry. At least there would be some friendly faces at the reception, she thought. Bill had told her he and her mum would be there, and Tonks had said she wouldn’t miss it.


“Tsk — Miss Weasley, you need to sign,” Stella urged, as she waved her wand over the book to clear up the drop of ink that had marred the page.


“Oh, right, sorry,” Ginny answered, returning her attention to the duty at hand. Touching the quill tip to the parchment, she carefully wrote her full name. Turning, she handed the quill to Harry who stepped up and started to write. She hadn’t been able to put her finger on it, but she had woken up with a feeling that something was off. Her appetite was non-existent. She had been jumpy. She had forced herself to calm down enough to concentrate through her Apparation test. But now that she had successfully completed that, the sense that something wasn’t right had returned.


Harry handed the quill back to Stella and stepped back from the book. His hand now free, he rubbed his forehead. His scar had been prickling since they had arrived.


“Are you alright, Harry?” Ginny asked quietly.


“Yeah — no. My scar has been bothering me since we got here. Maybe it’s just being back in the Department of Mysteries,” Harry answered quietly.


“I know what you mean,” Ginny whispered, weaving her fingers into his. “Ever since I woke up this morning, I’ve just felt that something is not quite right.”


Stella’s voice broke into their quiet conversation. “This way, please,” she instructed.


“Come on,” Harry said, “we’ll be done with this in a few minutes. Nathan said we’ll be back to Hogwarts by lunch.”


Ginny nodded and let Harry lead her out of the Department of Mysteries. In front of them, Nathan was walking beside Stella. He had successfully managed to engage her in a conversation regarding the registration process. A stickler for detail, Stella was happily explaining all the intricacies of the process as she led them to a conference room off the main lobby area.


Before entering, Nathan looked back at Harry and Ginny with an encouraging grin. “You ready?”


Ginny exhaled and met Harry’s eyes. He leaned down and whispered in her ear. She grinned and looked back at Nathan. Nathan smiled at the twinkle in those eyes. He wondered briefly if he could put that kind of sparkle in Anna’s eyes.


“Come on,” he said, motioning with his head toward the room. “Let’s go feed the wolves.”


++++


Standing to the side of the refreshment table, Ginny was glad to have been left alone for the moment. She had had enough of the questions, the photos, the curious looks and was now quite ready to go back to school. Overall, the morning had gone well, she reflected. Perhaps her feeling of unease from earlier was simply a bad case of nerves. Looking around the room, she saw Harry deep in conversation with Bill. Nathan was dealing with Fudge. From over her shoulder she noticed Percy who kept looking at his watch as if he had a schedule to keep. Caught up in people watching, she jumped at the light touch on her arm.


“Ginny?” Molly Weasley said hesitantly.


“Hello Mum,” Ginny said, smiling wearily. “Thanks for coming.”


“I wouldn’t have missed it,” Molly said smiling nervously in return. “Your father is disappointed he couldn’t have been here, too.”


Ginny nodded, and shifted her gaze to a worn patch in the rug by the toe of her left shoe. She wasn’t sure if she was on speaking terms with her mother these days. Their communication since their row before the start of term had been by owl, and even those letters had been somewhat stilted and generic in their contents.


“Ginny, I —,” Molly started, her hands twisting a handkerchief into a knotted rope, “I wanted to tell you how proud your father and I are of you.”


“Thanks, Mum,” Ginny answered.


“No, really, Ginny, I am…proud of you. It may be hard for you to understand, but —“


“I know, Mum,” Ginny interrupted, wanting to head off a potential scene.


“No, you don’t, Ginny,” Molly said, shaking her head, “at least not completely. When you become a mother you will learn what it is like to have a child walk away with your heart. You will love your child so much your heart will ache every time you look at her. You will wonder if you will ever stop wanting to cry every time she suffers a disappointment or achieves a goal. And you will discover that no matter how old or far away that child is, you will never stop loving her because that is what a mother does. Ginny, much like how you didn’t have a choice in your bond, I don’t have a choice in how much I love you.”


Ginny met her mother’s solemn gaze. She couldn’t recall her mother ever discussing her bond without disapproval.


“Ginny, a mother can’t stop herself from loving her child because there isn’t anything greater than loving a child. That is what makes the magic work - that is what gives a child her mother’s protection. And that love is so strong and powerful, it can make us all a little off balance when it comes to something that has the potential to harm our hearts,” Molly said softly before taking a deep breath.


“I know you are considered of legal age now according to the Ministry,” Molly said slowly, “but I wanted to make sure you knew there will always be a place at the Burrow for you, no matter how old you are. Harry, too.”


Ginny’s heart felt a little numb. Molly had pretty much described her bond with Harry — an unasked for force that couldn’t be denied, growing stronger through time and love. She knew she would do anything to keep Harry safe. And for any of her brothers, Ginny knew her mother would do the same. Her heart began to ache as the understanding and appreciation for something she and mother shared - and would share again in the future - dawned on her.


Ginny felt Harry’s presence before he touched her elbow. “Ginny, I think it’s time to go,” he said quietly, smiling at Mrs. Weasley.


“Mum, are you ready?” Bill asked, stepping up beside Harry.


Molly dabbed the tears gathering at the corners of her eyes and nodded. She smiled tentatively at Ginny. Ginny bit her bottom lip before smiling slightly at her mother. Not able to hold it in any longer, Molly crushed Ginny and Harry to her.


“I love you both,” she said, into their jumpers before releasing them. “Now, be careful and we’ll see you in a couple of weeks.”


Wiping her cheeks, Molly let Bill lead her out.



+++++



“No, Fudge, we’re done.”


“But Professor, they haven’t answered any questions. The Daily Prophet - I told them they would have at least thirty minutes —“


“Then tell them their thirty minutes was eaten up during the speech you just gave. That thing lasted at least that long,” Nathan muttered under his breath, fastening the clasp of his robe and looking over the Minister’s shoulder. He lifted his finger and nodded at someone. “We need to go now. It is time to get Harry and Ginny back to school.”


“But —“


“Pardon me, Minister, but the Undersecretary of the Bulgarian Minister is in your office. He refuses to leave without an audience,” Percy Weasley said, stepping up to the group, his voice crisp and articulate.


“Weasley, can’t you tell him I’m busy? I mean, this is imp-“


“I tried, sir, but he’s most insistent.”


“Blast it,” Fudge said, seeing the reporter from The Daily Prophet descending on them. “Undersecretaries are just junior pompous windbags looking to become senior pompous windbags. Fine, Weasley, you deal with the reporter and this lot. Tell them I will be back momentarily to answer questions,” he said pointedly at Borgin. With a nod, the Minister of Magic slipped out of the door.


“I’ll be right back,” Percy intoned, before walking over and taking the reporter’s elbow in order to steer him over to the refreshment table.


Nathan glanced across the room where Harry and Ginny were talking quietly with Molly and Bill. Once the speeches were over, Tonks had hugged Harry and Ginny quickly and made her apologies about leaving so soon (”I tried to tell Mad-Eye this was special. He told me there was nothing special about dark magic getting an upper hand, stubborn old stick in the mud.”) He had noticed Molly spent the short press conference alternating anxious glances between Harry, Ginny and Percy. Bill had simply ignored Percy. After an awkward initial greeting, Nathan watched Molly engulf the two teenagers in a bone crushing hug before wiping the corners of her eyes and allowing Bill to lead her out of the room. Harry and Ginny walked back to join him just as Percy approached.


“Do you have it?” Nathan asked quietly.


“Yes, it’s right here. Dumbledore said it would activate at half past eleven which is in ten minutes.”


“Can the Undersecretary keep the Minister busy that long?’ Borgin asked.


“Most likely not, considering the Undersecretary of the Bulgarian Minister is still in Bulgaria as far as I’m aware,” Percy commented.


Ginny looked at her brother in shocked surprise. Percy caught the look. He shook his head as if to say, not now. He motioned with his head toward the open doors.


“This way,” he said quietly. “There is an empty conference room next door. It won’t look so suspicious if we go in there.”


“Wait!” Ginny said, following after Percy and Borgin. “What do you mean? Why are we following you?” Percy opened the door to the room next door. Ginny stopped right in front of him and narrowed her eyes, her sense of foreboding returning. “Why should we trust you?”


Percy met Ginny’s gaze. The indignant anger she saw flare in his eyes died as soon as it appeared, replaced with resignation. She saw the flush creep up his neck. There was something about the way he held himself that was different, as if he was uncomfortable or perhaps even unsure of himself. Ginny blinked. Percy had been many things, but he had never questioned himself in front of her.


“Ginny,” Professor Borgin called.


Her gaze not wavering from Percy’s, Ginny stepped into the room beside Harry.


“Percy?” Professor Borgin asked.


“Yes,” Percy said, letting the door slide shut behind him. He dug into his pocket and fished out the gold pocket watch. He held it out.


“What is that?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“Portkey,” Nathan answered.


“From where?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Percy answered quietly, “and it’s going to activate in a minute so here.”


The pocket watch lay flat on his palm. Ginny fixed Percy with her gaze.


“Really, Ginny, it’s a Portkey,” Percy said.


“Come on you two,” Nathan said, wanting to get Harry and Ginny out of the Ministry and back to Hogwarts as fast as he could. He had had enough of being the Ministry’s pawn to last him a lifetime. He wanted these two back where he knew they were safe. Reaching out to take the watch from Percy, Nathan’s hand bumped Harry and Ginny’s as they all moved to take the watch out of Percy’s hand.


Simultaneously, their fingers touched the watch and they felt the familiar tug behind their navels as the Portkey activated early. Moments later, they stumbled onto cobblestone. The air was still and cold and dark. They were in Knockturn Alley. But they were not the only ones in Knockturn Alley. Ginny’s eyes darted to the storefronts. Shutters were being closed. Shopkeepers were hiding. Patrons were nowhere to be seen. The sense of uneasiness that had plagued Ginny all day settled like a rock in the pit of her stomach.


Ginny whipped around to face Percy. “What did you do?” she hissed.


“I didn’t do anything!” Percy said, looking bewilderedly around at their surroundings. “Professor Dumbledore sent me a Portkey. He said it would take you back to Hogwarts. It was a watch —“


“I don’t think it was Percy,” Nathan said, straightening up, his eyes focused on movement at the mouth of the alley.


As the shadows shifted, the gloom parted to reveal Death Eaters, wands at the ready, lead by Lucius Malfoy. Malfoy didn’t hold a wand. Instead, he was casually opening and then closing the cover of a gold pocket watch with his thumb. There was a small knob on the front.


“Borgin.”


Malfoy’s voice was triumphant, his stance confident, his gaze malicious. Instinctively, Nathan shifted in front of the others.


“Malfoy,” Borgin replied calmly. “Why are we here?”


“You know why, Borgin,” Malfoy sneered. “You gave the Dark Lord poison.”


“I didn’t give the Dark Lord anything,” Borgin answered suspiciously.


“You lie, Borgin. You have lied to the Dark Lord from the beginning. The Dark Lord doesn’t like it when he’s lied to.”


“No, I suppose he doesn’t,” Borgin said. “But who is going to say I lied?”


“I am,” Malfoy replied, his eyes gleaming with hatred.


“He will kill you,” Borgin said, his eyes scanning the Death Eaters behind Malfoy, counting, calculating, strategizing.


“No, he’ll kill you first,” Malfoy answered.


“Then take me, Malfoy. Leave them out of it.”


“I can’t do that, Borgin,” Lucius answered, his eyes traveling over Harry, Ginny and Percy who all stood, wands at the ready behind Nathan. “You see, the Dark Lord wants the Weasley chit alive. Now that he is protected by her —“


“Liar!” Harry cried, pointing his wand at Malfoy. Ginny’s mouth opened in horror, her heart having dropped from her chest to the pit of her stomach.


Malfoy’s shoulders shook in cold, heartless laughter. “No, I don’t lie, Potter. He has what you have, now. Her blood — in him.”


“That’s impossible,” Nathan argued, his mind racing, his heart praying Snape hadn’t done it - that Snape hadn’t gone ahead with the potion anyway. Dumbledore had lied to him, to them.


“Oh, no, it’s not impossible,” Malfoy leered, “quite probable, in fact. But it didn’t work quite as you planned, though, if your goal was to kill him. You see, he is still alive. And she can heal him.”


Ginny’s rage boiled over, forcing her voice out of her clenched jaw. “Never,” she growled, leveling her wand at Malfoy.


Malfoy’s voice rang out, bouncing off the storefronts, echoing through the darkness.


“You don’t have a choice, Weasley,” Malfoy sneered. “You may not be bonded to the Dark Lord, but you are now bonded to the blood that flows within him. You cannot kill that blood. You can only heal it. And you will heal it.”


Nathan caught the barely noticeable nod Malfoy gave. Malfoy pointed his wand at Ginny’s heart. Harry, Nathan and Percy bellowed simultaneously.


PROTEGO!


Th e shield charm deflected Malfoy’s stunning spell. Harry shoved Ginny behind a stack of crates sitting outside the door to Borgin & Burkes. Percy dove into the doorway opposite, his wand directed at the group of Death Eaters taking cover behind Malfoy.


STUPEFY!” Percy yelled as red light streamed from the end of his wand into the darkness. A scream was heard followed by a grunt and thump.


“Nice one,” Nathan said, ducking behind him.


“Thanks,” Percy breathed, turning to glance at where Harry and Ginny hid. ”WATCH OUT!” he roared.


”REDUCTO!


Ginny and Harry scrambled farther down Knockturn Alley as the blasting spell hit the crates, splinters shooting into their hair, robes and skin. Ginny tripped on the cobblestone, falling face first into the rock. She cried out as her cheekbone struck stone. A snigger came from above. Indignant anger overtook the fear within her. Turning over, Ginny jabbed her wand upward.


ATTONARE!


The stunning spell hit the hooded Death Eater in the forehead, sending him tumbling back, his head hitting the stone with a sickening thud.


Holding the back of her hand to her cheekbone to stop the throbbing, Ginny scrambled to her feet and threw herself into the doorway of a shop with a large sign in the window advertising a sale on Pogrebins just in time for the holidays. Harry grinned at Ginny and pointed to the still form of the hooded figure in front of her as he jumped over the unconscious form of a Death Eater he had disposed of. From across the alley, Ginny grinned back and mouthed ‘Anna’.


Turning back to the alley, Ginny raised her wand but not fast enough. A hurling charm caught her right in the chest, throwing her into the doorway of the shop, her body crashing through the wood frame, sending shards of glass and chunks of wood skidding across the floor. Slamming into the hard granite, she felt glass cut into her back, hands and face. Sliding on her shoulder, she screamed in pain, leaving a trail of red behind her.


“GINNY!” Harry roared, sending a bludgeoning spell back at the Death Eater who had attacked her.


The Death Eater’s hood slipped back as he shouted, “PROTEGO!


Harry recognized Mulciber from the battle in the Department of Mysteries.


Casting a shield charm of his own, Harry launched himself across the alley, diving into the dark creature shop Ginny had landed in moments before. His chest heaving, Harry scrambled to his feet, glass biting into the palms of his hands. He swallowed the lump of fear forming in his throat as he looked at the floor. “Ginny!” he yelled, his eyes following the smear of blood.


“Back here,” Ginny choked from behind a stack of crates. Peering around the side, she aimed her wand. “DUCK!” she yelled before sending a pummeling curse at Mulciber in the doorway.


Mulciber dove to the side behind a giant cage filled with humongous spiders crawling all over each other, struggling to be the one on top. Mulciber threw his arm around the side of the cage and screamed.


REDUCTO!”.


The crates Ginny and Harry were hiding behind exploded, wooden slats shooting in every direction. Harry fell over as Ginny wrenched his arm back.


“Back here!” she hissed, one arm glued to her side, urgently pulling him behind the counter with the other. “Those are Villogors,” she panted, nodding at the grey green hairy creatures about the size of a Quaffle spewing forth from the broken crates. “You don’t want to be around them. They’re fur with fangs — poisonous fangs.”


REDUCTO!


Mulciber’s blasting spell hit the counter they were hiding behind, smashing it to sawdust. Through the floating debris, Harry saw the Death Eater stand up and walk around the spider cage to get a better aim. Harry flung out his arm and cried, “EXTUNDO!


Wood, glass and fur balls with fangs flew at the Death Eater who tried desperately to shield himself from the barrage. He flailed, falling back onto the cage. As the spindly, black pincers shot through the cage bars, thoughts of another large spider flashed through Harry’s mind. Pinned to the top of the cage by spider legs, covered with squealing, munching fur balls, Mulciber’s legs shot out straight, shook with a spasm, and then fell downward, lifeless.



Harry’s stomach rolled and he looked back at Ginny. “You alright?” he asked.


“I will be,” she said, swallowing hard, her breathing labored. Swiping her brow with her sleeve, she nodded. “Come on. They’re still out there.”


Shadows darkened the doorway as two more Death Eaters entered the shop, wands at the ready. His wand in front of him, Harry pulled Ginny back behind a large stack of bags filled with chips used to cover the bottoms of Runespoor cages. Ginny slumped against the bags. Harry peered out from behind the stack and took aim at the closest hooded figure.


EXANIMO!


The elder Goyle’s hood fell back as the stream of blue pulsating light shooting out of Harry’s wand encircled his neck. Goyle clutched at his throat as he struggled to breathe, the asphyxiation spell cutting off his air passages. Not able to fill his lungs, Goyle blacked out, falling into a shelf holding pots, jars and vials of ointments designed to cure whatever ailment your dark creature had. The shelf supports cracked and gave way, spilling its contents on the floor.


Goyle’s companion stepped forward, his wand pointed at Harry and Ginny’s hiding place. Ginny cried out as she was thrown forward, a blasting spell causing the bags to explode. She shielded her head with her arms as a mixture of damp wood shavings, moss and dirt flew in all directions. The approaching Death Eater coughed and sputtered, blinking wildly to clear his eyes of flying dirt.


His glasses smeared and blurry, Harry took aim at the dark moving mass in front of him.


Abico converto!


His hood falling back, Crabbe screamed in rage as he was blasted back into the front wall of the shop. Harry sucked in his breath, almost gagging as he inhaled a mouthful of debris. Perspiration stung his eyes as he blinked rapidly to clear his vision. Whipping off his glasses, he pointed his wand at them and muttered, “Extergeo.” Slipping his clean glasses back on his face, Harry saw the Death Eater struggling to his feet.


His focus entirely on the hooded figure, Harry pointed his wand at Crabbe’s chest.


Aculeatus Vena!” he growled.


The blood stinging hex entered Crabbe through his heart, immediately spreading tendrils of fiery pain throughout his body. Howling, the Death Eater dropped to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks as his face contorted in pain.


His heart pounding against his ribs, Harry held his wand steady as he watched the Death Eater writhe on the floor of the shop. Nathan had told him it would take the average wizard less than thirty seconds before he would simply black out from the pain of such a hex. Harry didn’t wait around to find out how average Crabbe was. If he was anything like his son, Harry was sure it would take about half that time.


Whirling around, Harry crouched down next to Ginny who was clutching her side, her eyes closed against the pain. Harry remembered Nathan’s comments from the summer on how Mediators would turn inward to strengthen and heal themselves. Harry touched her arm gently.


“Ginny? Can you walk?”


Her eyes closed, Ginny nodded. Clenching her jaw shut, she blinked and swallowed. “Yeah, I can walk. Let’s go,” she answered determinedly as Harry helped her to her feet.


Ginny leaned on Harry as they made their way out of the bestiary. Her right side felt like a pin cushion, scraped and poked by glass and splinters. She hissed as salty sweat mixed with fresh blood in scrapes and cuts she couldn’t see. She gritted her teeth as she stepped into the alley, hugging the wall next to Harry.


The alley was filled with flashes of light, streaming across clouds of smoke and dust. Harry saw Nathan and Lucius throwing spells back and forth, each one stronger and deadlier than the last. Chunks of mortar and brick flew, pock marking the alleyway as it fell. Crates smashed, glass shattered. Inching along the wall, Harry and Ginny ducked behind a large stack of caldrons as a flash of red light blasted past them. Sheltered from the alley, Ginny slumped to the ground.


“Stay down,” Harry said, glancing worriedly at her pale face.


Shifting her weight to push herself off the street, Ginny opened her mouth to protest. She yelped from cuts bleeding anew and fell back down. “For a minute,” she agreed, leaning back against the storefront.


Harry crouched down and peered around the cauldrons to get a better idea of what was going on. Spells flew from all directions, shattering storefronts and demolishing displays left in front, some hitting their mark, others not. Judging by the volume of spell work occurring, Harry could tell Nathan and Percy had been joined by others. From off to his right, he heard additional distinct cracks of Apparation. The amount of sparks flying from every doorway, behind every pot and out of every store front gave him a giddy sense of rightness.


Adrenalin flowing, Harry’s mind and wand seem to work as one. A barrage of spells sprung from the tip, aimed at black blurs moving through the fog of dust and debris that deepened the darkness permeating the alley. Screams floated back to him as curses met their mark. It didn’t take long before several Death Eaters determined his hiding spot and started to advance, sending spell after spell in his direction. As a flash of red lightening shot his direction, Harry dove back down behind the cauldrons.


“Hey, these are our cauldrons! Go find your own!”


“Fred! George! What are you doing here?” Harry exclaimed.


“Oh, you know, didn’t receive an invitation to the press conference,” Fred said.


“So we decided to crash the after-party,” George commented, shooting a stunning spell around one of the cauldrons. “The Aurors got called in to investigate a massive spell battle going on here. Bill was at the Ministry, too, after seeing Mum off. He thought we could be of help.”


“Are you two alright?” Percy panted, diving behind the cauldrons.


“Percy?” Fred said, ducking as a spell hit the cauldron he was hiding behind.


“What’s that git doing here?” George asked, his nose curling at the sight of his brother.


“I’m trying to help,” Percy said.


“I don’t think we need your kind of help,” Fred said.


“I think we need all the help we can get,” Ginny said, pushing herself away from the wall. The twins turned, surprised to see her there. Pale but still formidable, she fixed them with a look daring them to argue.


Fred and George glanced at each other, then at Percy and nodded. “Right,” they said together.


“We’ll talk about this later,” Fred huffed, glancing suspiciously at Percy.


“Later,” George nodded, before following his brother into the smoke filled alley.


Percy swallowed and nodded. He turned to Ginny. “Ginny, you’re bleeding!”


“I’ll be okay,” Ginny said, pushing his hand away. She grimaced as she shifted her weight, the glass digging further into her flesh.


REDUCTO!


A ringing blast hit the piles of cauldrons, sending them clanging into the alley. Three Death Eaters were approaching, wands aimed at the trio. Two of them had removed their hoods. McNair’s lip was curled in a cold smile. Avery’s eyes were filled with hatred. Harry aimed his wand at the closest, Avery, and snarled.


EXTUNDO!


Red light blasted from Harry’s wand as pots, boxes and crates flew at Avery and McNair, pummeling them as they fell against the brick wall of a storefront. Loosing his balance from the force of the spell, Harry stumbled backward, his legs hitting a rolling cauldron. He tumbled to the cobblestones, scrambling to regain his footing. He pushed himself off the ground only to be forced back down by McNair.


Crucio


McNair’s spell hit Harry square in the chest, daggers of excruciating pain shooting throughout his body. Harry’s screams echoed off the walls of the shops on either side of the alley.


OSSIS FRACTUS!”



Harry felt the spell lift as Percy’s bone crushing curse sent McNair to his knees, clutching his ribs, his mouth frozen open in pain.


The third Death Eater raised his wand and pointed it at Ginny.


Diffindo!


Percy launched himself in front of Ginny, screaming as the full force of the severing hex hit him straight in the chest. Percy fell, slamming into the cobblestones and lay still.


Her heart pounding, Ginny could feel the shards of glass biting into her hand as she clutched her wand and raised it. But before she could open her mouth, a desperate scream filled the alley.


“NO!” Lucius Malfoy roared, turning from Nathan for just a moment to aim his wand at the Death Eater. “DO NOT HARM HER! CRUCIO!” Green light from Lucius’ wand hit the Death Eater in the back, flinging him down into the street where he writhed in pain.


Lucius whirled back to face Nathan. Nathan was ready. With a steady hand, he pointed his wand at Lucius’ chest.


Aestuo Sanies,” he growled.


He watched in satisfaction as Lucius dropped to his knees, his head thrown back, screaming as his hands clawed at his skin, his blood boiling within. Breathing heavily, Nathan smeared dust across his face as he wiped sweat from his face on his sleeve. Exhausted, Nathan lifted his right foot and slammed it down in the middle of Malfoy’s chest, pinning him to the street. Pressing his weight against Malfoy’s ribs, he reached down and fished in Lucius’ cloak pocket for the watch. Standing back, he removed his foot, leaving Lucius writhing and panting on the ground.


“Tell your master,” Nathan growled, “I’m not finished with him yet.”


Nathan hobbled over to where Harry and Ginny were kneeling beside Percy. Bill stepped over the bodies of two black clad figures and crouched down next to his brother. He looked up at Harry and nodded.


“Nice job, Harry,” he said, nodding back at the bodies in the alley. “They won’t forget today any time soon.”


His face grim, Harry acknowledged the praise with a nod of his head.


“We’ll take Percy,” Fred said, coming up behind them. Bill looked up and nodded his agreement at Fred.


“What should we do about —“ George stopped as he looked over to where Lucius Malfoy had lain. He was no longer there. “Well, we’ll take care of Percy.”


Nathan nodded and held out the watch to Harry and Ginny.


“Hold on,” he said. “It’s time to go home.”



++++


The air in Dumbledore’s office positively sizzled. Waves of anger rolled off of Nathan as he slammed his fist on the desk, his eyes flashing fire at the two men he deemed responsible for today’s fiasco.


“What the hell did you do?” Nathan shouted at a triumphant looking Snape.


“Insurance, Borgin. It’s a Muggle concept, but even you might know what it is.”


“Your bloody insurance could have gotten us killed!”


“We didn’t know that was going to happen,” Dumbledore answered quietly, his face etched with lines of defeat and worry.


“We did not give him the original potion, Borgin,” Snape said. “The one he took contained several bloods, including mine. He is not immortal.”


“I - I don’t care,” Nathan cried, his eyes burning with fury as he grabbed the neck of Snapes robes and tightened his hold. Snape turned red, gasping for air. “You gave him her blood! You do know what that means don’t you? You do know he can now use her?”


“He’s not strong enough to use her,” Snape gasped.


Disgusted, Nathan threw the Potions Master away from him. Snape fell back, catching himself on one of the bookshelves, his hand massaging his throat.


“All he has to do is get his hands on her and he will be!” Nathan growled. “This idiocy of yours has totally defeated the whole purpose of the blood bonding in the first place. Everything Harry and Ginny worked for, everything my mother died for has been negated BECAUSE OF YOUR INSURANCE!”



“You promised me, Albus!” he cried, whipping around to face the Headmaster.


“No, I said this was a decision for The Order to make.”


“Did The Order make it? Did they have any say in it? Because I know of several people who won’t be too happy with the results of today’s adventure!”


“We thought it best, Nathan,” Dumbledore said. “We have slowed things down. This gives you more time.”


“You bought me time at the risk of their lives? You were willing to sacrifice Harry and Ginny to — to buy time? How dare you use that as an argument for putting us, for putting them in danger.”


“Nathan, I thought it best —“


‘No, you didn’t think at all,” Nathan growled. “What you did — it was something my father would have done. And I never thought I would ever put you in the same category as him.”


Turning away, Nathan stalked out, leaving a wake of silence wide and thick behind him.


+++++



Anna heard the knock on her door. Setting her book down on the table in the hall, she peered through the small window and gasped. As quick as she could, she undid the locks on her door and pulled it open.


“Nathan! What happened?” she said, stepping toward him.


Nathan wrapped his arms around her and held her close. He leaned on her, soaking up her warmth, her softness. He buried his head on her shoulder and breathed in her scent, willing it to fill the aching hollowness in his gut. He tightened his hold, clinging to her solidness for all he was worth. He moaned as she pulled away. He felt her take his hand. He opened his eyes, searching hers. She placed her free hand on the side of his cheek and leaned up to place a gentle kiss on his lips.


Stepping back, she tugged on his hand, leading him over the threshold and closing the door behind him.



++++



“Hey,” Harry said, sitting down next to Ginny on the bed in the Hospital Wing. “You know, usually this is the other way around, you visiting me instead of me visiting you.”


“I know,” Ginny smiled. “And I don’t even get to spend the night and have you wait on me hand and foot.” Ginny’s smile dimmed. “Have you seen Dumbledore?”


Harry sighed. “No. Not yet. Later. Nice shiner, there,” Harry said, touching the tender purple blue smudge on Ginny’s cheekbone.


“Thanks,” Ginny winced. “You should see the other guy. Other than that, I’m good as new” she said catching Madam Pomfrey’s reproving eye. “Well, almost. How are you?”


“Nothing a little time won’t cure,” Harry said, standing up and holding his hand out.


Ginny looked at his hand for a moment. She cocked her head to the side, her eyes on the scar. Biting her bottom lip, she took Harry’s hand in hers and ran the pad of her thumb across the bonding scar on his palm. Harry looked at the healing pink pock marks on Ginny’s hand where the glass had ground into her. He lifted her hand up and placed a soft kiss on the scars.


“Sit,” Ginny commanded, smiling softly as she stood up.


“Why?” Harry asked, obediently sitting.


“Because I think I can help you,” Ginny said thoughtfully. “Here, give me your hand. Close your eyes and open up.”


“Why do I have to close my eyes? Who says I can’t open up with my eyes open?”


Ginny wrinkled her nose and grinned sheepishly. “I just don’t want you staring at me,” she admitted, flushing slightly.


“I like staring at you,” Harry said, holding his palm up to hers. Leaning forward, he whispered, “It’s because I like you.”


“Oh,” Ginny said, whispering back. “I like you, too, but close your eyes anyway.”


Harry chuckled and did as he was told. Immediately, he felt Ginny’s power, sweeping through him, enveloping him, making him whole. Behind his eyes he saw the ribbons, the ones from him, dark and worn. His mind’s eye traveled their paths, interwoven with Ginny’s, but instead of strong and bright, he noticed hers were pale, torn and ragged. He watched his ribbons be cleansed, their colors returning, their strength regained, standing out markedly against Ginny’s. His heart ached at the sight, knowing what she was able to do for him, wanting to be able to do the same for her. Without thinking, Harry began to concentrate on Ginny’s ribbons, willing them to shine brightly, to heal themselves. In fascination, he felt the tug in his heart, the pull toward her as the ribbons strengthened, repairing themselves. Before his eyes he saw their bond repaired, glimmering brilliantly.


His eyes flew open at Ginny’s soft gasp. Her eyes wide with awe, she was blinking at him in absolute wonder, a smile beginning to take over her features.


“Whoa,” she said softly.


Harry grinned, “Yeah, whoa,” he nodded in agreement.


“I didn’t know that could happen,” Ginny whispered. “It’s not supposed to go both ways.”


“Really?” Harry said surprised. “Huh.”


“That’s pretty cool,” Ginny giggled.


“I don’t think I could have done that without you, though,” Harry said seriously, reaching forward and pulling her close. “Thank you for being mine.”


“I’ve never been anyone else’s,” Ginny said softly, wrapping her arms around him and melting into him. “Never have been. Never will be.”



+++++



A/N — Thanks to http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/fungi /com.html - The Digital Library Project for the University of California, Berkeley, for fun names of fungi.


Thanks to http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/ lookdown.pl - The University of Notre Dame’s English to Latin Dictionary for fun animal names and spells


To wvchemteach’s undying patience with my battle scenes — Extundo!


And to Anya who has the patience of a saint when it comes to my turning off comments and edits — my thanks!

Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear