Search:

SIYE Time:22:14 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 191051; Chapter Total: 7122







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own or profit monetarily from Harry Potter.



Holiday Surprises





Harry rolled over, his eyes opening suddenly, his heart tugging toward the door. He sat up and reached for his glasses. He wasn’t panicked. His heart wasn’t racing. He felt calm and warm and happy. It was Christmas morning. He could hear the snorts, snuffles and snores coming from Ron’s bed. He could tell from the crack in his bed curtains it was early. He didn’t know why he had all of sudden woken up. He couldn’t remember being in the middle a particularly bad dream or anything. All he had was this intense urge to follow his heart strings.


Casting a cursory glance at the pile of gifts at the end of his bed, Harry pushed aside the bed curtains, kicked his covers off and swung his legs over the side of his bed. He then reached down for a pair of socks and pulled them on before setting his feet on the cold stone floor. Grabbing a jumper from the top of his trunk and his wand from the table by his bed, Harry slowly crept to the dormitory door and pushed it open.


Ginny was standing on the other side, wrapped in her dressing gown, her bonding hand held in front of her, her palm flat. Her eyes were closed and her mouth moved as she mumbled something. Harry’s heart swelled at the sight of her slightly fuzzy hair, her cheeks still flushed with sleep, the indent from the piping on her pillow crossing just in front of her ear. Harry held his palm up to hers and wove their fingers together. Ginny opened her right eye and grinned at him.


“It worked!” she exclaimed happily.


“What worked?” Harry said, leaning forward to give her a soft kiss. He chuckled as Ginny giggled.


“The pull — you woke up, didn’t you?” she said, bouncing up and down on her heels.


“That was you?” Harry said, looking over his shoulder as if to see if she had cast a line or rope of some sort at his bed.


Ginny nodded. “I’ve been working on that with Professor Borgin. It’s seeing if we can connect without touching. Kind of like communicating without words. Cool, huh?”


“Yeah,” Harry grinned, pulling her into a hug. “Just any reason why you had to do it at…” Harry lifted his arm up behind her head to glance at his watch, “six-eighteen on Christmas morning?”


“Yes,” Ginny said, standing on her tip toes to nuzzle Harry’s neck. “I wanted to give you the opportunity to give me my Christmas present while I was awake and not surrounded by the rest of my family.”


Ginny could feel Harry’s chest rumble against her own and pulled back.


“And you think I got you a gift?” Harry grinned.


“I think you’re a smart boy, so yes,” Ginny replied cheekily. “But if you didn’t, that’s alright. I’ll just tell my brothers I got you something and you couldn’t be bothered with getting a gift for me and we’ll see where you end up eating Christmas dinner. I would wear extra layers. It’s been snowing, you know.”


Harry chuckled. “In that case, it’s a good thing I got you something. And I do appreciate the opportunity to give it to you when you’re not falling asleep on top of me. Although, that might not be all that bad of a gift either…” Harry ducked the swat that came his way by stepping back toward his room. “I’ll be right back.” Popping back into his room, Harry reached into his open trunk and pulled out a box the size a baker would put a double layer cake in, wrapped in plain red foil paper with a white bow. He tucked it under his arm and rejoined Ginny in the hall.


“Come on,” Ginny said, eyeing the gift appreciatively as she grabbed his hand and tugged him down the stairs. “There’s a fire set and Dobby sent up pastries and tea,” she said, leading the way.


“Really?” Harry said, warming up to the idea of an hour or two of snuggling with Ginny in front of the fire in the deserted Gryffindor common room.


“Really,” Ginny said plopping down on the sofa. “Anything for Harry Potter, you know.”


Harry grinned as he sunk back into the pillows, dropped the box on the floor and pulled Ginny against him. “I like this,” he said, placing a kiss on the top of her head.


“Hmmm,” Ginny murmured into his chest as her fingers reached out for the package. Hooking her finger through a bow loop, she pulled it up as if it were a fish she was reeling in. Sitting back, she crossed her legs on the couch, and tucked the present in the middle.


“No patience, you,” Harry commented, dryly.


“Not when it comes to presents,” Ginny said honestly. “But first, you.”


Reaching into her dressing gown pocket, Ginny pulled out a small, flat square box, wrapped in brown paper and tied with a simple brown ribbon. She held it in her hands for a moment, her bottom lip caught between her teeth, before holding it out to him.


“Happy Christmas, Harry,” she said, smiling tentatively.


Curious, Harry took the present and pulled the end of the bow. The ribbon slid off into his lap and was quickly followed by the brown wrapping. Harry lifted the lid of the box. Nestled inside was a woven strip of color, browns, reds, golds and greens, woven in a pattern so they blended together and became one. Harry lifted the band out of the box and held it up.


“You made this,” he said wondrously, examining both sides of it.


Ginny nodded, scooting forward pointing at the colors. “It’s a bond bracelet. In ancient times, when bonds were a tad more common, Mediators would make these for their bonds so people would know who was bonded to whom. The colors would represent their family crests,” Ginny flushed slightly as she continued. “I looked up your family crest and mine and…”


“Will you put it on me?” Harry asked, holding the silk and his wrist out to her.


Ginny nodded, taking the braid and wrapping it around his wrist. “You know, I’m the only one who can ever take this off you,” Ginny said, as she touched her wand to the ends.


“Is that a Mediator thing?” Harry asked, watching in fascination as the threads magically wove themselves together.


“Uh, no,” Ginny said, sitting back. “That is a girlfriend thing.”


Harry grinned and admired the band on his wrist. Warmth seemed to radiate from his wrist, up his arm and throughout his chest. He felt as if the fire Dobby had laid in the fireplace had jumped into his heart and was warming him up from the inside out. His eyes widened in wonder. “Is this charmed?” he whispered.


Ginny smiled and winked at him. “My turn,” she said, ripping the wrapping on the box in her lap. Throwing the paper to the floor, Ginny carefully lifted the box lid up and gasped. A rainbow spilled forth as ribbons of every width, length and color covered Ginny’s legs with their shimmering softness. Ginny reached into the box and let the hair ribbons fall between her fingers and run down her arms. She thought her chest would burst with matching color as tears gathered in her eyes.


“You gave me our bond,” Ginny whispered in wonder.


“No,” Harry said, picking up a red ribbon and fingering it, “you gave me our bond,” he said softly. “And for that, no gift would come close to saying how much that means to me. Happy Christmas, Gin.”


Harry leaned forward to meet Ginny half way as they melted together, a sea of color sliding and slipping between them, around them and through them.


+++++


Anna stood in the middle of her kitchen, surveying her handiwork. Tucking a stray brown curl behind her ear, she exhaled. The minced pies were done; the turkey full of her best hazelnut stuffing was roasting; the potatoes were peeled and waiting to be boiled. The butter was softening, the salt dishes were filled and the chocolate sauce was bubbling merrily on the stove.


Climbing the two steps up from her kitchen, Anna crossed the hallway into her sitting room. She smiled giddily at the tree Nathan had forced through her front door yesterday. It was much too large for her small cottage but Nathan had insisted, claiming no tree was too large for such an important holiday - then he cut off the bottom two feet. The tree with its star slightly skewed to the right as it brushed the ceiling, was decorated with twinkling fairy lights, strung cranberries and peppermint twists.


She moved to inspect the tables which only fit in the sitting room because the rest of her furniture had been removed. She brushed an imaginary crumb off the crisp white tablecloths, adjusted one of the sprigs of holly leaves that lined the middle, and straightened a barely crooked red candle in a polished silver candlestick. She then reached for the box of Christmas Crackers she had set out earlier.


Anna had promised Filch two dozen tarts in exchange for two tables and matching chairs from his storeroom. Filch had told her he wasn’t allowed to loan out school property to non-staff members. Anna had returned the next day with a plate of homemade shortbread, lemon tarts and gingerbread which she left on his desk. The tables had been delivered to her house that afternoon with a note telling her to forget the rest, just send gingerbread.


After placing Christmas Crackers at the top of each place setting, Anna rested her hands on her hips and counted the seats - one for Nathan, herself, Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione (who had opted to stay at Hogwarts for the holidays to study for NEWTs), Bill, Fleur, Fred and George. Bill had approached her about sending a note to his brother Percy. He had said if she didn’t mind a little awkwardness, he would appreciate it if she would invite him, too. Anna had been more than happy to do so. Then, two days ago, Nathan had stopped by to ask is she minded adding two more seats for Neville Longbottom and Joanna Blevins. Sighing, she readjusted the menu, and had added two more seats.


It had been snowing for three days now. As beautiful as the whiteness was, it had played havoc with Anna getting everything ready for this dinner. Of course, she couldn’t blame all the delays of the holiday on the weather or the ever expanding guest list. After inviting Bill and the twins, she had been bombarded with questions, suggestions and menu ideas. Last Tuesday, she hid away in a conference room in an attempt to get some work done, but even then, Bill still managed to find her. Having been a little under the weather for several days, Anna had been in no mood to deal with more requests and had told him in no uncertain terms if he kept bugging her, she would set him on fire instead of the Christmas pudding.


The requests had stopped coming after that, until yesterday when she had received an owl from Bill. He had charmed it so she couldn’t destroy it without reading it first. She gave him points for that. His letter had said his parents’ plans had changed and his father needed to stay in town for Ministry business. Bill wrote his parents would never dream of inviting themselves at such short notice so he had taken it into his own hands to ask if she minded. Anna had laughed rather hysterically. When she calmed down, she sent an owl back to Bill saying it would be fine. Then she sent one to his parents with a formal invitation. Lastly, Anna had sent a pot of lemon sauce for the gingerbread to Filch who had sent over two more chairs.


Adjusting one of those newly added chairs and stepping back, Anna observed the room and her heart dropped into her stomach like a lump of coal.


“Oh, crap!” she muttered. “I set my mother’s table.”


Wrinkling her nose, Anna pulled her wand out of her apron pocket. With a wave, the white table cloth was replaced with a burgundy table runner, leaving the scarred brown wood underneath bare to warm up the table. Matching burgundy placemats cushioned the plates. Candlesticks were replaced with pillar candles on trivets. Holly transfigured into cranberry strands. She left the Christmas Crackers alone.


Anna nodded happily at the much cozier tables. Stretching out her wand, she muttered, “Incendio.” The pillar candle in the middle glowed, spreading warm light across the place settings.


“Much better,” Anna murmured before a chilled wind blew across her neck, over the table, extinguishing the flame. “Oh, shut it, Mum!” Anna exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the ceiling and relighting the wick as she heard a knock at the door. Anna glanced at her watch. A half hour early. Anna exhaled and untied her apron as she headed to the door.


Peeking through the window, she saw a face she didn’t recognize, but a head of red hair that could only belong to a Weasley. A stir of holiday excitement began to force the stress up and out of her system and she smiled as she opened the door.


“Happy Christmas!” Anna exclaimed, holding out her hand and stepping back. “I’m Anna. You must be Percy.”


“Uh, yes, I am,” Percy said, taking Anna’s hand and shaking it firmly. “Thank you for inviting me. I’m sorry I’m early, I just…”


Percy’s voice trailed off as he stood on the mat, his hands clutched together in front of him, his eyes nervously looking anywhere but at Anna as if he might escape at any moment. Anna’s heart melted a little at Percy’s apprehension and she smiled reassuringly.


“You aren’t early,” she said, motioning him to come in. “You’re right on time. I needed a quality controller.”


“A quality controller?” Percy asked, unclasping his cloak.


“Yes, here, you can hang your cloak on the back of the door. A quality controller has the most important role in the kitchen,” Anna said, over her shoulder as she led the way down the two steps into the kitchen. “It is the quality controller’s responsibility to make sure I’m not poisoning anyone.”


Anna’s words caused Percy to stop short and not duck. His forehead met the top of the door jam with a solid thunk.


“Oh, heavens!” Anna exclaimed, hurrying over to Percy who was wincing and pressing the palm of his hand to his forehead. “I was joking about the poisoning part!” Anna said, reaching up for Percy’s hand and pulling it gently away from his head. “Here, press this to your forehead. It will help.”


Anna held out a lumpy cloth to Percy who took it uncertainly. “It’s ice,” Anna said, smiling. “Muggle remedy but quite effective. Believe me, I know.”


Looking at Anna like she was a little batty, Percy slowly raised the ice pack to his forehead, wincing at the sudden cold, and then relaxing as blissful numbness took over.


“Here, Percy, have a seat over here at the table. I’ll get you something to drink. Pumpkin juice? Tea? I have some cider warming, too, if you’d prefer,” Anna said, her eyes apologetic.


“Tea would be nice,” Percy said, brushing a drip of water from his cheek and scooting onto the bench that surrounded Anna’s kitchen table. Turning his attention away from Anna making tea, he looked around the kitchen, soaking in the smells of Christmas dinner, the lists of parchment affixed to the front of the cupboards, the serving bowls and platters set out with their corresponding serving spoons or forks just waiting to be filled. As another drip of water melted down his cheek, Percy relaxed. Something about the level of organization spoke to him and made him feel comfortable. He smiled at Anna in appreciation as she placed a steaming mug of tea in front of him.


“You’re melting,” Anna noted, holding out her hand. “Numb?”


“Uh, yes, thank you,” Percy nodded, handing her the drippy bundle.


“You’re welcome,” Anna smiled at Percy.


“So, what am I supposed to be quality controlling?” Percy asked.


“Oh, here, chocolate sauce,” Anna said, whirling around to pick up a spoon and dipping it into a double boiler on the stovetop. “It’s for the cream puffs. I’ll warn you, I always burn mine. Tell me what you think?” she said holding out the chocolate coated spoon.


Percy smiled, reached out for the spoon and tasted it. He swallowed hard and tried not to grimace.


“Water?” Anna asked wrinkling her nose.


“Water,” Percy squeaked.


+++++


Joanna perched on the edge of one of the high backed chairs in the common room. She had settled on the perch after five minutes of experimentation. Standing behind the chair, she had seemed posed. Leaning back in the chair, with her legs crossed, made her feel like a spider waiting for a fly to crawl into her web. She had tried sitting forward, her elbows on her knees, her chin resting on her hands. She decided she had looked bored. And waiting for Neville was anything but boring. In the end, she had settled on the perch, her hands clasped in her lap, her mind concentrating on keeping her right heel from tapping nervously on the stone floor.


Joanna flip-flopped her thumbs as she thought of her conversations with Neville over the past few days. The term conversation might be stretching things a little for describing the interaction between them, but words had been exchanged, blushing smiles traded and an agreement for her to accompany Neville for Christmas dinner had been reached. In Joanna’s mind, this was progress.


Joanna glanced at her watch. She was early. She had known she was early. She was always early. Being late was one of her biggest pet peeves - that and an unmade bed. She was early to everything she did - classes, meals, study groups. Being early gave her time to scope out the situation, to get her bearings and to think. Her two older sisters, both Ravenclaws, had somehow managed to inherit her father’s intelligence, wit and talent for living life in an impromptu manner. Joanna was more like her mother — definitely intelligent, definitely loyal, definitely not afraid to jump into the fray. However, Joanna always felt more confident jumping in if she had space and time to determine the best course of action first.


Sitting in the common room, Joanna pressed her palm against her bouncing knee. Heavens, she was nervous. She had never seriously fancied a boy before. Her sisters had brought boys home all the time. In fact, her oldest sister Amanda was getting married this coming summer to Anthony Lender, a fellow Ravenclaw who had been in her year at Hogwarts. Sara’s latest flirting adventure was with Thomas Selkirk, her father’s assistant at the Ministry. And Joanna — well, her parents never pressed her, but her mother had a way with dropping hints that told her they wondered if she would ever at least have a passing fancy for anyone.


Being her older sisters, Amanda and Sara were much less subtle with their remarks.



”She’s waiting for Mr. Perfect,” Amanda teased.


“Mr. Perfect? How about we go for Mr. I’m Breathing?” Sara argued.


“No, Sara, that’s you,” Amanda said cheekily.


“Right,” Joanna nodded, “I’m a little pickier.”


“Little?” Sara squeaked incredulously. “You’ve never brought a boy home! I mean, have you even kissed a boy? Been caught in a broom cupboard? Had your hair mussed up? That’s what life is all about, Joanna. Not what kind of root will cure Boiling Ash Rot!”




Joanna loved her sisters, but they just didn’t seem to understand she lacked the thing they seemed to possess in abundance - the ability to feel comfortable in her own skin. It was hard to be comfortable when you felt like an idiot. But with Neville, it was different. She was willing to be an idiot to get what she wanted when what she wanted was him. It was as if she just didn’t care anymore. There was something in her middle that told her she needed to win Neville Longbottom for herself and decent lack of vocabulary be damned, she was going to do it! And then this past week, the stars had aligned and it appeared as if he had been put under the same spell. The thought made her smile. And her knee bounce.


“Argh!” Joanna muttered, pressing her hands on her knee.


“Did you say something?” Harry asked as he passed by the back of the chair on his way up the stairs to the boys’ dormitory.


“Oh! Harry! I didn’t see you come through — ah, the portrait hole,” Joanna said, smiling weakly. “No, I didn’t say anything.”


“Alright,” Harry said, “I just forgot my scarf upstairs. I think everyone is meeting in the Entrance Hall in a few. I’ll see you down there.”


“Yeah,” Joanna nodded, “I’ll see you in a few.”


Harry almost ran into Neville who was standing still, three steps up from the bottom, plastered to the wall. He was staring straight ahead, his hands clutched around a brightly wrapped parcel and a scrunched up handkerchief.


“Neville?” Harry asked, stopping across from him. “Are you alright?”


Neville nodded, biting his bottom lip. Harry noticed he was wearing a jumper that looked new and his shoes had been polished. Harry even thought he might have trimmed up his hair a bit.


“You know Joanna’s waiting for you?” Harry said helpfully.


Neville nodded again, visibly swallowing, mechanically swiping the handkerchief across his brow.


“How long have you been standing here?” Harry asked, his eyes filled with concern for his very pale, slightly sweaty friend.


“Ten minutes, maybe,” Neville whispered. “Harry, have you seen her? She’s beautiful.”


Harry stared at Neville, fighting to keep a straight face. He remembered this feeling and it still amazed him he ever got past it. And knowing what he knew about Neville and Joanna, he gave up trying to hide the grin and placed his hand on Neville’s shoulder. Gently, Harry pulled Neville away from the wall and turned him toward the common room.


“Go,” he said, giving him a gentle push.


Neville automatically stepped down onto the next step and looked back. Harry waved his hand at him and mouthed, “Go!” Neville nodded, swallowed, breathed deep and stepped down again.


Joanna felt his presence before she heard him step onto the stone floor. She looked up and there was Neville, standing at the bottom of the stairs, a flat package clasped in his hands. She swallowed and stood up, nervously tucking a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear.


“Hi, Neville,” she said, blushing profusely.


“Hi,” he said, clearing his throat and stepping forward. “Uh, here, this is for you. Happy Christmas.”


“Oh!” Joanna exclaimed, accepting the parcel he held out. “Th-thank you. You didn’t need to do this.”


“No — yes. Yes, I did,” Neville stuttered. “You gave me a gift. I thought I should get you something — I wanted to get you something. You deserve something. You look nice.”


Joanna bit her bottom lip, her eyes on the flat, rectangular package in her hands. Neville thought her cheeks were the most beautiful shade of pink he’d ever seen. He didn’t even notice that she had removed the wrapping paper on the gift he had given her until he heard her snort.


“Oh!” Joanna said, her eyes wide with embarrassment and mirth, her hand clasped over her mouth. “I’m sorry! I couldn’t help it.”


It took a moment to register that Joanna’s snort had been laughter. As he stood there, Neville realized her shoulders were shaking and giggles were coming out from in between the fingers still covering her mouth. He had made her laugh. And it wasn’t at him. Neville suddenly felt as if his whole being was filled with light.


“You like it then?” he asked, his mouth curling up into a wide smile.


Nodding, Joanna dropped her hand, laughter tumbling out, washing over the both of them, chasing their awkwardness away to go play in the snow. “I love it, Neville. Thank you.”


“You’re welcome,” Neville said pleased. “I thought, just in case, you know.”


Joanna giggled again. “I’ll just go put it on my bed. I’ll be right down,” she said, hugging the gift to her chest and walking backward toward the steps, her smile never wavering, her eyes locked with Neville’s.


“Oh, Joanna, sorry,” Harry exclaimed, almost running into her on his way down from the boys’ dormitory.


“Harry! No, my fault,” Joanna said, spinning around. “Sorry! I’ll be right down.”


Harry glanced over at Neville’s face and laughed. “So, she liked the gift?”


“Yeah,” Neville said flushing.


“What did you end up getting her?” Harry asked, throwing his scarf around his neck.


“Uh, St. Mungo’s Guide to Curing Plant Induced Ailments,” Neville answered. “I thought it might come in handy.”



Harry chuckled. “She’s a lucky girl, Neville,” he said as he climbed out the portrait hole.


“Who’s lucky?” Joanna asked, reentering the common room.


“I am,” Neville answered, smiling at her. “I am.”



+++++



“So, Percy,” Arthur Weasley said, cutting into a piece of roast turkey, “what have you been up to?”


Anna’s eyes widened. Her little cottage hadn’t been this quiet all day. All eyes turned to the young wizard sitting to her right. She had placed him there, not knowing the entire story, but knowing enough to realize a buffer space might not be a bad thing. Up to this point, the afternoon had been going quite well. Percy’s initial reception had been cool, as was to be expected, but Anna had noticed the awkwardness was not based in hostility. It sprung out of desire to move on but not knowing really how. Molly had blasted through the discomfort by enveloping Percy in a smothering hug.


As they had sat down, conversation had centered on food related compliments and moved onto requests for passing certain dishes to and fro. The pop of Christmas crackers and the toasting of glasses was followed by the murmuring of appreciation of a well prepared meal. A bite of stuffing hanging half way to her mouth, Anna’s eyes traveled around the table uncertainly, finally landing on Percy who was taking a sip of wine.


“I am still at the Ministry,” Percy answered, glancing around the table.


“Are you still going out with Penelope?” Ginny asked curiously.


Color flooded Percy’s cheeks as he cleared his throat. “Yes, Penelope and I are still going out.”


“Oh, Percy, you should have said something,” Anna said. “She would have been more than welcome to join us.”


“Uh, thank you, Anna,” Percy answered, “but she wanted to spend today with her family.”


“Give her our best,” Arthur said.


“I will, thank you,” Percy said, nodding appreciatively at his father.



“What did you get Penelope for Christmas?” Bill asked.


“Fred, check out that color,” George commented, elbowing his brother.


“He’s as red as the cranberries,” Fred agreed.


Percy coughed, and lifted his napkin to his lips.


“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that, dear,” Molly said.


Percy lowered his napkin and placed it back in his lap. His eyes on his hands which were in his lap, Percy mumbled.


“I’m sorry?” Molly said, leaning forward.


“An engagement ring,” Percy said, his eyes closed, his cheeks flaming.


Silence fell for barely a second before Molly squealed. Shoving her chair back, she charged around the table and enveloped her son in his second bone crushing hug of the day.


“Mum, I can’t breathe,” Percy croaked.


“Sorry, Percy, but you’re due,” Bill commented, grinning widely. “Congratulations.”


“She said yes?” Fred asked grinning.


“Well, I’ll be,” George said, honestly delighted as Percy nodded.


“We are very happy for you, son,” Arthur said, stretching his hand over the table toward Percy. Percy looked at it for a split second, over Molly’s head, before reaching out and shaking it firmly.


“Thank you, sir.”


Happiness flooded the sitting room, and conversation eventually moved onto other topics.


“So, Anna,” Arthur said, turning his attention away from his son, “I hear you are a past student of Hogwarts.”


“Uh, yes, I was — I am. I was only able to attend for a year, my fourth, but I have fond memories.”


“You met Nathan there, didn’t you,” Bill asked, obviously fishing for dirt.


“Yes, Bill, I did,” Anna answered, slowly, as if Bill was a little slow on the uptake. To the rest of the table, she said, “I was a fourth year, a few years behind Nathan.”


“ ’ow did you meet?” Fleur asked, reaching for a helping of stuffing.


“I first met him when I was lost in the dungeons on my first day. But then, I suppose our formal introduction later that same day was courtesy of Harry’s mum,” Anna said, smiling at Harry.


“You were friends with Lily and James?” Molly asked.


“Well, more Lily than James. You couldn’t really know Lily without knowing James, though, as she seemed to be a magnet for him,” Anna replied.


“So, how did she introduce you?” Harry asked, his voice cracking a little at the question.


Anna smiled at Harry as she propped elbows on the table in front of her and her chin on her hands. “Nathan was a Slytherin and a very handsome one at that —“


“Hello, I’m in the room,” Nathan said, his cheeks warming. “I don’t suppose you could limit the story to the facts?”


“Those are the facts, Nathan,” Anna said, winking at him. “You were a Slytherin and you were very handsome. Professor Dumbledore assigned Nathan to give me a tour of the school — I believe he was serving detention at the time for creating a type of floating blimp like bubble that could be charmed to explode over a desired target and —“


“Really?” Fred asked leaning forward.


“On target?” George asked awed.


“Achieving the right thickness of bubble that could float and carry something was the tricky part,” Nathan nodded enthusiastically. “We tried to make the whole thing invisible, but realized doing that made the bubble unstable. We hadn’t figured that out, though, before we tried to float one through the Great Hall with a hair growth potion in it. Unfortunately the bubble burst right over Professor Larkin, the Ancient Runes professor at the time,” Nathan chuckled at the memory. “The poor woman looked like an overgrown hair ball.”


“Professor McGonagall,” Anna continued over the laughter, “asked Lily to show me to the Headmaster’s office. Along the way, Lily was kind enough to offer to show me the rest of the school. Now, as your mother used to describe it, Harry, Dumbledore entered his office followed by Nathan at which time I ceased to function. She said my eyes glazed over, my mouth dropped open and I grabbed her hand so hard I left marks. Lily suddenly suffered a dramatic fit of coughing and excused herself to the Hospital Wing and Nathan, for his detention,” Anna continued, “was assigned to show me the school. Lily, of course, recovered quickly and we became fast friends.”


“And then you taught her how to set her bed on fire,” Nathan commented dryly.


“What?” Hermione asked.


Anna chuckled. “Oh, I’d forgotten about that!”


“What happened?” Ginny asked, glancing at Harry who was grinning.


“Well, Lily helped get me up to speed in some of my studies — seeing as I was being taught by my parents, there were some subjects I excelled at such as Charms and Ancient Runes, but others where I was dismally behind, like History of Magic and Potions. In exchange for letting me use her notes, I offered to teach her a few hexes,” Anna said, taking a sip of water. “The first few, she had no problem with.”


“If I recall, James walked around shocking people for a week because of one hex you taught her,” Nathan said. “It was hard to miss, him sitting in the middle of the Gryffindor table, at least five meters empty space on either side, sparks shooting off him in all directions.”


Anna smiled in satisfaction at the memory and winked at Ginny. “I’ll teach you that one, too,” she loudly whispered. “It’s a good one.” Turning to the rest of the table, she continued. “There is a tribe of ancient people called the Ignigenas who inhabited caves in the Himalayas. The Ignigenas believed life and death came from fire. Fire was the root of all goodness and also all evil and therefore was revered and worshipped. It was also a deadly tool of force they used in many a protective charm on their tombs.


“My parents spent a year studying the ways of the Ignigenas, and along the way, I picked up a good working knowledge of fire hexes and charms. Unfortunately, a ‘working knowledge’ is a bit different than ‘practical knowledge’, as Professor McGonagall pointed out through the smoke and ash that filled our dorm,” Anna said, chuckling. “As part of our punishment, Professor McGonagall banned us from charming the smoke smell out of our hair and clothes for a week.


“So, I don’t recommend trying to place a fire wall around your bed. Those velvet curtains are flammable,” Anna said with a straight face before turning to smile at Harry. “Your mother was one of my best friends while I was at Hogwarts. She had such a big heart. She could tell right off the bat I was lonely and missing my parents and felt like a fish out of water. I was sorry to have lost track of her when I left Hogwarts, but to be honest, my youth had taught me keeping friends was painful,” Anna sighed. “I was honored to be your mother’s friend, Harry. Your heart reminds me of her.”


Harry felt Ginny’s hand cover his and squeeze. He felt his heart constrict slightly and then ease. He nodded his thanks to Anna. Anna turned to smile at Nathan who was grinning widely at her.


“What?” she asked.


“That tour - I just thought you were quiet,” Nathan replied.


Anna laughed, shaking her head. “I couldn’t form a coherent sentence around you until years later,” she admitted.


Joanna almost choked on the bite of roll she had in her mouth. Neville patted her between the shoulder blades. Molly offered her a glass of water. Ginny giggled. And conversation swelled again as wedding topics were discussed and then put aside for business updates on the joke shop then Gringotts and school. Platters and bowls emptied, glasses refilled, and seconds and thirds consumed. Pushing her chair back, Molly picked up the stuffing bowl and basket that held hard rolls and carried them into the kitchen for refills.


Harry leaned over and whispered in Ginny’s ear, “You should go talk to her.” Ginny’s eyes glanced tentatively toward the kitchen then back at Harry. “Gin, she loves you. She wants what’s best for you,” Harry said softly.


“I know,” Ginny said, setting her napkin beside her plate. Leaning over, she gave Harry a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you for reminding me,” she whispered back as she reached for the empty pitcher of pumpkin juice and followed her mother.


“Percy certainly looks happy, doesn’t he?” Molly commented, as Ginny set the pitcher down on the cupboard.


”Yes, he does,” Ginny replied.


“You look happy, too, dear,” Molly said quietly.


Ginny stopped refilling the pitcher and turned to look at her mum. “I am happy, Mum.”


“I’m glad,” Molly replied, picking up the refilled stuffing bowl and bread basket and heading toward the door.


“Mum?”


“Yes?”


Ginny paused, unsure of what she wanted to say. Then, it just came. “Mum, if the offer is still open, Harry and I would like to come to the Burrow for the summer.”


Molly stopped, her back to her daughter. She smiled and turned. “There will always be a place for you and Harry at the Burrow,” she said sincerely.


“Thank you, Mum,” Ginny answered, coming to stand in front of her mother.


Molly placed her free hand on Ginny’s cheek and sighed, smiling, blinking away a tear or two.



+++++




“Hey,” Harry said, coming up behind Ginny and placing a hand on her shoulder. “Hiding?”


Ginny smiled and turned into Harry’s arms. “Yeah,” she said, leaning her cheek against his shoulder. “Actually, Anna said she had a new book to loan me and told me it was in here on her desk. I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget it.”


“Neville and Joanna look happy,” Harry commented, smiling into her hair.


Ginny giggled. “I’m not sure they’ve noticed any of the rest of us are here.”


“Or stopped smiling,” Harry noted.


“Remember those days?” Ginny asked, her eyes twinkling.


“Yup, as if it was yesterday. And today. And most likely tomorrow.”


“Doesn’t bother you a bit, does it?” Ginny said.


“Nope,” Harry grinned, shaking his head.


“Hey you two,” Nathan said, popping his head in the study. “Anna wanted to know if you found the book, Ginny?”


“No, I was distracted,” Ginny said smiling, stepping back from Harry who blushed slightly.


Nathan chuckled. “I can imagine.”


“Professor - Neville and Joanna?” Ginny asked.


Nathan stepped into the office and closed the door behind him. “They seem well suited,” he said. “You haven’t said anything?”


Both Ginny and Harry shook their heads.


“And they still don’t know about your bond, right?”


Ginny and Harry nodded.


“Let’s give them a day or two, to get used to each other. Then we’ll talk to them,” Nathan said.


“Me, too?” Harry asked.


Nathan thought for a moment and nodded his head. “Yes, I think that might be a good idea, Harry. I have a feeling Neville might like a friend there.”


“Yeah, finding out you’re going to be stuck with someone for the rest of your life is rather daunting,” Harry said, his face straight, but his eyes smiling.


“Tell me about it,” Ginny sighed.


Nathan chuckled. “Don’t let me keep you from your distractions, but I’ll warn you, Fred and George have gone looking for Ron and Hermione who have also gone off to be ‘distracted’. You’re next on their list.”


“Thanks for the warning,” Harry commented as Nathan closed the door behind him. Reaching behind Ginny for a book on the desk, Harry brought it around to his front. “Helpful Hexes for Tomb Navigation,” he read, flipping it open and thumbing though it. Finding something that caught his interest, Harry stopped flipping and began to read in earnest.


Ginny cleared her throat. “Enjoying the book?”


“Yeah,” Harry said, flipping another page.


Ginny chuckled. “Talk about your distractions,” she murmured, placing a kiss on Harry’s cheek. “I’ll go help with the dishes.”



++++++



Squelching the twinge of guilt that sprung up as she watched her guests clean up, Anna gratefully accepted a mug of tea from Molly and reflected on the events of the evening. The chocolate sauce hadn’t been able to be saved so the crème puffs had been served naked. But, judging by the crumbs left on the platter, no one seemed to mind. The roast turkey carcass was stock pot bound. Arthur had patted Anna on the shoulder and told her he would personally take care of the tarts and shortbread. Anna didn’t see a sign of that plate but could hear Arthur snoring in the sitting room where the furniture had replaced the tables and several games of strategy and skill were currently going on. A triumphant shout from the sitting room drew Anna’s attention. Percy stood off to the side, still looking a little uncertain of his place in the mix. Anna smiled as Ginny appeared by Percy’s side and tugged at his hand to come join them.


“Here,” Molly said, sliding a plate with a piece of Christmas pudding in front of Anna. “You didn’t get one.”


The smell of currants wafted up to Anna’s nose. She swallowed hard and pushed the plate away. “You know, Molly, I don’t think I will.”


Molly stopped. She looked at Anna’s slightly green twinge. She smiled.


“Have you told Nathan?” Molly asked, her eyes twinkling.



Anna’s head came up sharply. She should have figured a woman with seven children would know. Slowly Anna shook her head, her eyes never leaving Molly’s.


“I only figured it out this morning. I thought I’d tell him tonight. Fewer people, you know.”


Molly patted Anna’s shoulder and smiled comfortingly. “He’ll be thrilled, dear.”


“I hope so,” Anna said, sounding a little unsure. “I’m not sure he planned on becoming a father at forty two.”


A loud thump and the sound of breaking china came from the doorway. Nathan lay sprawled on the kitchen floor, his head resting on the bottom step, the shattered remains of the tart plate spread out around him.


“I think he knows,” Molly observed as a crowd gathered in the kitchen doorway.


“Knows what?” Ron asked, looking down at Nathan.


Anna caught Molly’s eyes and burst into a fit of giggles. Percy looked down from behind Ron and nodded.


“I’ll get the ice,” he sighed.



++++




“Good evening, Firenze. A beautiful Christmas night, is it not?”


“Good evening, Headmaster. There are those who believe the stars tonight lead to salvation.”


“If you are seeking salvation, there are worse places to look for answers than in the stars.”


“Those who seek answers should not look up. They should look within.”


“It is certainly warmer within,” Dumbledore observed, his words forming foggy clouds as he breathed.


“The stars speak of the past tonight, a past that can protect and lead us forward,” the centaur said, his eyes focused upward.


“The stars are our past,” Albus Dumbledore sighed quietly. “Happy Christmas, Firenze.”


“Happy Christmas, Headmaster.”



+++++


A/N — To my betas, wvchemteach & Anya — my many thanks! You guys rock!

Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear