Search:

SIYE Time:21:51 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 190697; Chapter Total: 6824







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — All my thanks to JKR for giving us such wonderful characters to borrow.




Recap — When we last left off, our heroes were busily working on a plan to stop Voldemort. They had determined that Ginny needed to break her bond with Harry’s blood in Tom through an Obliteration Charm such as Catarina used. Of course, the worry is that a bond can only be broken through death. Hermione determined though that Ginny is protected by Lily’s love and Harry’s love should save her. The question is how?

Now, once the bond is broken, Voldemort has basically two parts, his physical form and his spirit. The spirit can be trapped through an Entrapment Charm. The question there is exactly what do you trap the Dark Lord’s spirit in?



And now, we rejoin the fun…





Lady of the Lake





“This is indeed an impressive piece of work,” Dumbledore surmised, reviewing the parchment in front of him.


“Thank you, sir,” Harry said, squeezing Ginny’s hand which was enveloped in his.


“And you’re consulting Bill Weasley?”


“Yes, I asked him to come take a look at it,” Anna said, stepping toward the Headmaster’s desk. “He has given it his approval and is continuing to work with us on certain aspects of training.”


“He is a fine choice,” Dumbledore nodded, sitting back in his chair and threading his fingers together. “It is risky.”


“We realize that,” Nathan agreed, “however, Albus, anything we try will be risky.”


“True,” the Headmaster sighed. “The Order needs to know —“


“No.”


Startled silence fell as all eyes turned toward Ginny.


“Ginny?” Nathan said.


“No, the Order does not need to know about this,” Ginny repeated with finality.
.

“Now, Ginny, I understand that you might not agree —“


“Pardon me, Professor Dumbledore, but I don’t really think the Order has any right to make this decision for us. We are both considered of age. We know the risks. We are going to do this with or without the Order’s approval.”


“But they have the right to know,” Dumbledore said.


“Why? Why do they? Why is it that you think they need to have a say in every decision regarding our lives?”


”They don’t —“


“And we don’t need their approval to go ahead with this,” Ginny argued heatedly, her steady gaze challenging the Headmaster to say otherwise.


“The Order should know,” Anna said quietly.


“Why?” Ginny cried. “Why do they have to know?”


“Because this will impact them, too. For starters, we most likely will need back up, Ginny,” Anna replied.


“Isn’t that what the DA is for?” Harry asked.


“Yes,” Nathan said, “but if we are going to engage Lord Voldemort in such a manner, we can pretty much be assured that every loyal Death Eater will also be involved in some way. The Order needs to know. Ginny, you are correct in that we don’t need their approval; however, we may need their help.”


Ginny pursed her lips and exhaled through her nose. With reluctance, she nodded.


“What are you going to do, Albus?” Nathan asked and all eyes turned to the Headmaster.


“I will inform the Order and,” he said, holding up his hand at Ginny’s open mouth, “I will tell them you are determined to do this. I cannot guarantee there won’t be some repercussions from that, though.”


“I would say that’s to be expected,” Nathan said. “Are you alright, Ginny?” he asked, noticing Ginny’s grimace.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied slowly, “I’m just not looking forward to one of those repercussions.”


“Wha-oh, your mother,” Nathan nodded. “I don’t suppose you can avoid every fireplace in the castle forever, can you?”


“She means well,” Anna said, her hand unconsciously coming to rest on her rounded middle.


“I know,” Ginny sighed. “I just wish she didn’t mean things so loudly.”


Despite himself, Harry chuckled. “I’ll be there, too, Gin. We’ll do it together.”


Ginny smiled up at Harry. “Yes, we will,” she replied, slipping her hand into his. “That means we get to share any Howlers she sends our way,” her eyes twinkling with mirth.


“I’m looking forward to it,” Harry grinned.



“On that note, we will bid you good night, Albus,” Nathan said, putting his hand on Anna’s elbow and steering her toward the exit of Dumbledore’s office.


Once on the other side of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the Headmaster’s office, Ginny paused.


“Professor Borgin, what will happen if the Order tries to stop us?”


“We’ll find a way to do it anyway,” Harry said simply.


Nathan nodded. “We’ll find a way to do it anyway,” he repeated solemnly.


+++++



Anna pushed herself away from her desk and stood up, catching herself on her chair back as she stumbled.


“Klutzes should come with warning labels when they’re pregnant.”


Anna growled and righted herself, shooting a disgruntled look at Bill who was standing in the doorway of her office. “Bill, remember this for when Fleur is pregnant — we are beautiful. Full stop. Nothing more. Got it?” Anna smiled in satisfaction as Bill’s cheeks reddened. “What have you got there?”


“Uh, something I’m working on for an outside project,” Bill answered, shifting a velvet pull string bag from one hand to the other.


Anna knew Bill picked up a stone from each tomb he ever worked and kept them all in this bag. They were not valuable in the sense of Galleons or sickles. Just nice reminders of where he had been in life. He would empty the bag on his desk and sort them into piles, rows, and patters, moving them around as he pondered intricate problems and puzzles. The fact he carried the bag now let Anna know he was out to do some serious thinking.


“I’m going to the conference room down the hall. Feel free to stop by later…if you’re able to get up again,” Bill teased, leaving her doorway.


In a gesture she was sure would make her mother shudder, Anna stuck her tongue out at the empty doorway before picking up her wand and mumbling a few choice words under her breath. She grinned widely as she heard a loud thudding crash followed by some different choice words that were certainly not deemed appropriate office language. Grabbing her mug, Anna stepped out of her office and over the sprawled form of Bill.


“I’ll stop by later, Bill,” she said sweetly as she headed to the kitchen, “that is if you’re able to get up again.”



Several hours later, on her way back from one of her many daily trips to the loo, Anna noticed the door to the Oswald Beamish Room was slightly open. Taking a step closer, she peeked in and saw Bill camped out behind what looked like a game of draughts with several rows of colorful stones but no playing board. Curious, she knocked lightly and stuck her head in.


“Hey, Anna,” Bill said, sitting back in his chair and rubbing his eyes with his hands.


Anna stepped into the room and stopped, a low impressed whistle emitting from between her lips. To say the walls of the room were covered would not adequately describe the four walls surrounding her. They were plastered with charts and pictures and diagrams, layered on top of one another, leaving not one millimeter of stone exposed.


“Where do I start?” Anna asked, feeling a little overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information bombarding her.


“There,” Bill pointed to the chart on the wall to her left.


Anna stepped closer and began to read. She sidled sideways, her mouth moving as she scanned the information, but no sound coming out. Leaning back in his chair, Bill wove his fingers together behind his head in an effort to keep from tapping them on the table and watched Anna’s back. He exhaled. He was waiting to see if he was right, and it was taking every ounce of discipline he had to sit still. Halfway around, Anna stopped. Bill held his breath. With her back to him, Anna nodded.


“You see it, too,” Bill said, quietly triumphant.


Anna turned to face him, her eyes bright with the kind of excitement a tomb raider gets when she is onto something very old and very big. “Yeah.”


“Any idea where it is?” Bill asked hopefully.


“I don’t even know if it still exists,” Anna admitted, pulling out a chair across from Bill and sitting down slowly.


Bill snorted. “Figures — we finally have an answer and the thing we need doesn’t exist.”


“Now, I didn’t say it didn’t exist,” Anna replied, “I just said I didn’t know if it still existed. There’s a difference.”


“Well, here’s hoping that the difference counts,” Bill said, gathering up the stones.


+++++


Joanna wedged a rather sizeable box against her lifted knee and the wall in an attempt to free up a hand so she could open the door to the Room of Requirement. An owl she had not recognized had dropped the package on her bowl of porridge at breakfast, sending the bowl flying to the floor, as gobs of gray matter were flung up and down her robes. Grimacing, Joanna had lifted the parcel from the middle of the mess and attempted to wipe most of the still steaming cereal off the sides. As she swiped the top, she read the return postal address and giggled.


“Your aim was perfect,” Joanna complimented the owl who was pecking at a glob of porridge by his feet.


Tucking the box under her arm, Joanna had hurried out of the Great Hall and back to Gryffindor Tower to change her robes. Slinging her book bag over her shoulder, she had picked up the box and headed to the Room of Requirement.


“Here, allow me,” a airy voice came from behind her.


Looking over her shoulder, Joanna saw Luna approaching, her hand out to open the door.


“Thanks, Luna,” Joanna said gratefully.


“You’re welcome,” Luna replied as Joanna passed by her and entered the room.


Ginny, Neville, and Hermione were seated around one of the tables, all wearing very discouraged expressions.


“Hi, Joanna. Hey, Luna,” Ginny greeted them glumly.


“Is something wrong?” Joanna asked, dropping the box on the table and sitting down in the seat next to Neville.


“We’re having trouble with the spell,” Hermione said distractedly.


“What kind of trouble?” Joanna asked.


Ginny sighed and propped her chin on her hands. “Harry and I are having problems sending magic through the bond,” she explained before clarifying, “well, Harry is having problems.”


“Oh,” Joanna nodded in understanding. “I’ve been reading about that. It’s really hard to do.”


“Yeah, it is,” Ginny agreed, “especially because Harry’s afraid he’ll overpower me.”


“Harry doesn’t need to worry,” Luna interjected.


“Easier said than done,” Ginny said, rubbing the bridge of her nose.


“It is really rather simple,” Luna shrugged.


“How so, Luna?” Neville asked.


“Everyone knows you can’t overpower the heart - at least not from love.”


All eyes turned to blink at Luna as silence fell around the table. Luna, oblivious to the stares, opened her book bag. Looking up, she smiled benignly. “All Harry has to do is concentrate on how much he loves Ginny.”


“That’s it?” Neville said skeptically.


“No, that can’t be it,” Hermione shook her head. “You’ve tried that, right, Ginny?”


“Well, no, I don’t think so,” Ginny pondered. “We’ve concentrated on the bond, but not the emotions tying it all together….”


“Where are you off to?” Hermione asked, as Ginny pushed her chair back.


“To find Harry!” Ginny waved over her shoulder as she left the room.


“So, what’s in the box?” Neville asked, glancing curiously at the top. “Hey, that’s from Gran - I only get boxes from Gran when I forget things at home. What did she send you?”


Joanna grinned. “I have no idea. Let’s just hope it’s not a matching hat.”


Hermione chuckled. “Well, if it is, I think you can at least be assured she likes you,” she said, as she stood up with her books. “Neville, you better hang onto this one,” she said as she too headed to the door.


Neville smiled widely and put his arm around Joanna’s shoulder, pulling her close. “That’s the plan!”


”So nice to know I have a say in all of this,” Joanna commented sarcastically.


“Nope, sorry, once Gran likes you, you’re in,” Neville grinned happily.


“So, if it’s a hat with a dead bird on it, you’re alright with that?”


“If it’s on you, I’m very alright with that,” Neville said, leaning forward to place a smiling kiss on Joanna’s lips.


“So simple,” Luna shrugged.


++++


Ginny wove in and out of the seventh year students exiting the Potions Classroom. “Harry!” she called, when she spotted him.


“Hey, Gin,” he smiled, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. “What are you doing down here?”


“It’s rather obvious, isn’t it?” a cold, sneering voice commented from the doorway. “Bottom feeders like to be on the lowest level.”


“Shut it, Malfoy,” Harry growled, whirling around, his wand at the ready.


“Five points from Gryffindor,” Snape sneered over Malfoy’s shoulder, “for dueling in the corridors.”


Harry felt Ginny’s touch on his arm and had the intense desire to shrug it off as he felt the warm, calmness mix with his anger. He drew a deep breath and realized the warmth allowed him to focus. He liked that. Harry moved his wand hand to cover Ginny’s, leaving it in place.


“Quit blocking my doorway and get back to your common rooms,” Snape snapped turning his back on them.


Harry let Ginny tug him into the middle of the corridor, away from Malfoy.


“Don’t worry, Potter,” Malfoy leered as he brushed by, deliberately shoving his shoulder into Harry. “Your precious little Mudblood lover is untouchable — for now.”


Ginny’s eyes followed Malfoy as he walked away. He appeared a little off balance, his right arm held tightly around his middle, his book bag in his left hand.


“Is he limping?” she asked, watching his gate.


“Maybe,” Harry shrugged. “He was in the Hospital Wing for a few days. I don’t know what from. If it caused him pain, I don’t really care. Did you need something or did you just miss me?”


“Hmm,” Ginny murmured distractedly, turning away from Malfoy and looking up at Harry. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”


“You know, if I was not such an understanding bloke, I might be slightly put out by the fact that when I’m attempting to be charming, your attention is no where to be seen.”


Ginny grinned and tucked her hand under Harry’s arm. “Yes, I needed something and yes, I missed you,” she said, standing up on her tip toes to give him a peck on his cheek. “And if that’s your most charming, I’m not sure I’d go pointing it out.”


Harry chuckled and started down the corridor. “So, what did you need?”


“Oh! Luna had a suggestion for the thing we’re working on,” Ginny said, eyeing the other students who were passing them in the hall.


“Luna?” Harry repeated.


“Well, you know, thinking outside the realm of normal and all,” Ginny said, “and it made sense.”


“Luna does that sometimes,” Harry noted, climbing the stairs.


“Yeah,” Ginny agreed, “and it’s always a little scary.”


“Do you want to try whatever it is before dinner?” Harry asked, glancing at his watch.


Ginny nodded. “If it doesn’t work, it shouldn’t take long.”


“Right,” Harry said and together they made their way back to the Room of Requirement.


“Alright,” Harry said, dropping his bag on the floor, “what are we trying?”


Ginny sat cross legged on the floor. “Luna suggested you concentrate on how much you love me.”


Harry raised his eyebrows. “Concentrate on how much I love you?”


“Yep,” Ginny said.


“No pressure, eh?” Harry teased.


Rolling her eyes, Ginny pushed on Harry’s shoulder. Harry dropped to the floor, hissing as his knees hit stone.


“Oh, sorry, forgot the cushioning charm,” Ginny winced empathetically, grabbing her wand.


“No problem,” Harry said, holding up his hand. “Here goes nothing.”


Ginny placed her hand up to Harry’s and smiled encouragingly. “Here goes nothing,” she repeated.


Ginny closed her eyes, not sure what to expect. They had been working on this for weeks and the most she had felt was a warm tingling sensation. Granted, watching the ribbons turn pretty colors had been interesting, but this called for more than an interesting palette. She felt the warmth from Harry’s skin under her fingertips and she smiled. She inhaled, the smell of dust and ink and Harry swirling within her senses. She immersed herself in the bond as Harry began to concentrate.


The sensations became stronger, the colors behind her eyelids deeper. Ginny felt her senses begin to tingle with clarity. She sucked in her breath as she felt power flood her body. Her pulse quickened. She was caught off guard. She honestly had not expected it to work. Ginny felt Harry pull back so she reached forward. With her mind, she concentrated on the anchor within herself; with her heart, she wrapped ribbons around Harry’s magic, cushioning herself against it, holding it within.


Ginny held still, watching their magic blend together before her closed eyes, mesmerized by the flow. She would have stayed there all night if she could. But, deep down, Ginny could feel her hold on Harry’s magic weakening. Gradually, she pushed the power back into the bond, slowly unweaving her ribbons from it and setting it free. The colors flared before settling back into shades of the rainbow. Ginny wasn’t sure, but the rainbow looked a little more vivid than normal. But then again, after what she had just experienced, anything would look more brilliant right now.


Ginny felt her hand drag forward and her nose hit Harry’s shoulder as his arms encircled her tightly.


“It worked!” he exclaimed jubilantly.


Ginny giggled into his robes. “Yes, it did,” she said, pulling back so she could see his face.


Harry smiled widely. “We did it,” he whispered, cupping Ginny’s face in his hands and kissing her with all the joy he felt. Breaking apart, Harry rested his forehead against Ginny’s. “That was amazing.”


“Yes, it was,” Ginny agreed, wrapping her arms around Harry’s neck, “and exhausting.”


“Yeah, that too,” Harry chuckled, pulling her closer. “I’m guessing that will get better with practice?” he said against her lips.


“As do all things,” Ginny replied, losing herself in the kiss.


+++++



Nathan knocked on the door to the Ancient Runes classroom and pushed the door open. As he had expected, Anna and Bill sat in the front row, talking in quiet whispers to Professor Friskin. As he approached, Anna looked up at him.


“You found us,” she smiled warmly.


“I followed the breadcrumbs,” Nathan commented, kissing her cheek lightly.


“Good evening, Nathan,” Olivia Friskin said, holding out her hand. “I’m thinking I may need to recruit your wife to come and do some guest lecturing one of these days.”


“Hey, now,” Bill interrupted, “I’m the one who came up with the idea!”


“Yes, but Bill, who will cover for me at the office when I’m here?” Anna teased.


“What is your idea, Bill?” Nathan asked.


“On that note, I am going to see if I can catch the last of dinner and allow them to explain it to you, Nathan. It was very nice to see you again, Bill. Good evening,” Professor Friskin smiled, gathered her books and headed to the door.


“So?” Nathan asked, turning to face Bill.


“I think I only want to have to explain this once,” Bill said, glancing at the stack of rolled parchment he and Anna had brought with them. “Any chance we could round up everyone else so I only have to do it one time?”


“I’m sure that can be arranged,” Nathan agreed, standing up.


Bill grinned as he saw Nathan put a steadying hand on Anna’s elbow as she stood. Nathan caught the smile and winked. “My wife is beautiful,” Nathan said sincerely.


“Yes, she is,” Bill chuckled.


“And don’t you forget it,” Anna said, stepping out into the aisle. “She’s also hungry. I’m going to go grab a bowl of something and will meet you upstairs.”


As Anna headed toward the Great Hall, Nathan leaned over and whispered to Bill. “She hex you, too?”


“Tripped me up in the middle of the office,” Bill sighed.


“Ah,” Nathan commented, motioning for Bill to go through the door first.


“What did she do to you?” Bill asked curiously.


“I was banished to the sofa,” Nathan answered, “and I’m pretty sure our sofa was used by at least one of Hogwarts’ founders.”


“Your wife is beautiful,” Bill repeated.


“Yes, she is,” Nathan agreed, clapping Bill on the shoulder. “Come on, let’s go.”


++++



Bill held up his chart to the blackboard and performed a sticking charm to keep it in place. Turning around, he was met with the sight of chairs filled with attentive faces and stopped, his mind going blank.


“Rather daunting the first time, isn’t it,” Nathan said dryly.


Bill chuckled. “Yeah, a little. Alright,” he said, rubbing his hands together. “Let me start from the beginning. As you all know, Entrapment Charms are not taught here at Hogwarts for several reasons that are not to be dismissed lightly - namely that should the charm go awry, anyone involved is practically ensured a very unpleasant death.”


Joanna let out a nervous giggle. “I’m sorry,” she said, attempting to control herself, and waving her hand in front of her. “I’ll get it together. Keep going.”


“Uh-huh,” Bill said, returning his attention to the rest of the group. “The purpose of an Entrapment Charm is to encapsulate a soul in an inanimate object. At one point in time the Ministry was seriously considering placing these charms on the list of Unforgiveables for fear of some idiot trying to use them on a live person. I’m not saying they were right or wrong for leaving them off the list, I just want you all to understand what you are about to attempt isn’t anything to be taken lightly.”


This time the snort came from Hermione. “Bill, do you really think we’re taking any of this lightly?”


“Just get on with it, Bill,” Ron urged impatiently. “In the end, if we don’t fully understand how dangerous or hard this is, maybe that just means we’ll be able to do it without worrying about it so much.”


Anna giggled.


Bill’s shoulders slumped. “This is no joking matter!”


“I know, Bill,” Anna placated him, “but Ron’s got a point.”


“Oh, fine,” Bill said. “Because souls are complex entities, Entrapment Charms require multiple wizards performing multiple charms simultaneously. Now, from the spell work you’ve already done, I gather the only witch and wizard who will be performing the spell will be Harry and Ginny. That leaves us about twelve spells short.”


“This isn’t getting better,” Joanna commented.


“I’ve always believed the best should come first,” Luna added.


“Kind of like eating dessert before the entree,” Anna nodded, patting her stomach wistfully.


Bill sighed loudly. “I’m not paid enough for this.”


“You’re getting paid?” Nathan teased.


“Enough already!” Bill shouted.


“Sorry,” Anna grinned.


Bill rolled his eyes at her. “So, I started thinking about what kind of things can possess protection as well power. One of those things is blood, much like the blood protection given in birth.”


“Sanguis?” Hermione asked.


“Exactly,” Bill nodded, smiling his thanks at Hermione for paying attention. “Now, your mother’s blood protection is something you two,” he nodded at Harry and Ginny, “have in spades. So I dug a little deeper into that and discovered that kind of protection and power at one point in history was believed to be able to be transferred into an inanimate object representing your birth month.”


“Like a birthstone?” Neville asked.


“Like your birthstones,” Bill confirmed.


Nathan whistled.


“He just got it, too,” Anna said, patting her husband’s knee proudly.


Nathan looked between Bill and Anna. “You aren’t thinking about — wow. That’s rather impressive.”


“You know the spell?” Bill asked.


“Know what spell? What’s so impressive?” Ron asked impatiently.


“Yeah, I know of the spell. It would take a little tweaking. And there’s the whole business of actually obtaining the circlet.”


“The what?” Ginny asked.


“Nimue’s Circlet?” Hermione said, her eyes widening as she looked at the chart behind Bill. “Oh — oh, my.”


“She just got it, too,” Anna grinned.


“Alright, does someone mind telling us what she got?” Ginny asked.


“Sorry, Ginny,” Bill said, taking a seat at the table across from her. “Are you familiar with Nimue?”


“No,” Ginny answered.


“The Lady of the Lake?” Neville asked. “Gran has a book about her. She said she was quite the powerful witch.”


“She was,” Anna answered. “Bill?”


“Go ahead,” Bill offered.


“The Lady of the Lake has been recorded in history by several names — Nimue, Viviane, Eviene — to name a few. She met Merlin at the Fountain of Baranton in the Forest of Broceliande in what was then known as Brittany. Merlin became enamored and began to teach Nimue. To make a long story short, Nimue’s greatest desire was to have Merlin for her very own. She wanted to control him. In order to do this, she convinced Merlin to teach her how to entrap a man with magic as his only boundaries, thus putting the poor fellow at the witch’s disposal, unable to do anything except her bidding. Now, Merlin knew what Nimue was up to, but, unfortunately, he was a man.”


“Hey, now!” Bill exclaimed indignantly.


Anna shot him a look daring him to contradict her. Bill caught Nathan’s eye. Nathan shook his head. Bill smiled at Anna. “Go on.”


“One day, Nimue and Merlin went on a walk into the forest. After some time, they came upon a Hawthorne bush and rested. Merlin fell asleep. While he was sleeping, Nimue removed her circlet and wimple and made a ring around Merlin’s body with them. She then performed an Entrapment Charm Merlin himself created — one strong enough, even he could not break out from inside of it. He died there, his spirit forever encased in that ring she created. Rumor has it, his tomb is there. Now, the wimple would have long ago disintegrated, however, the circlet, being such a strong magical object should still be there.”


“Exactly why are we interested in this circlet?” Ron asked confused. “She didn’t entrap his soul in it.”


“No, she didn’t want to entrap his soul. She wanted Merlin alive,” Bill said. “But the magic that makes this circlet work is birthstone based. With a few changes in the spell, I think we can make it work how we want it to. Right Nathan?”


Nathan sat forward in his chair, his chin in his hands, mesmerized by the chart in front of him. “I believe we can. The spell used derives its power from fourteen stones placed in the circlet. Nimue determined that a person can be entrapped by love of the people who hold demands upon him or her. In Merlin’s case, she managed to procure birthstones of the people who cared for Merlin, including the Knights of the Roundtable and King Arthur. In our case, we’ll tweak the spell so the circlet’s stones entrap the soul with the love of people who care for Harry and Ginny, using the birthstones of your friends and family,” he said looking at Harry and Ginny. “We need one for each month and then one for Harry and one for Ginny,” Nathan answered. “Together, the fourteen balance each other out.”


“Let me get this straight,” Ron said skeptically, “we need to go find the crown of the witch who imprisoned Merlin in order to trap Voldemort?”


“Yeah,” Bill nodded. “That about sums it up.”


“And this crown isn’t sitting in a vault in Gringotts already?”


“No, not that we know of,” Anna said.


“So, what makes you thing some fuzzy woodland creature hasn’t scooped it up and used it for a doorway to its burrow - or for that matter, some other grave robber?”


“Well, for starters, the supposed location of the tomb is within mostly privately owned forest land. Secondly, it is believed that while Merlin’s soul isn’t in the circlet itself, the circlet is tied to the wards protecting his tomb. On top of that, the ground has not been excavated by wizards, well, ever.”


“Why not?” Ginny asked.


“By the time it was determined by the magical community that this spot was Merlin’s final resting place,” Anna explained almost apologetically, “the Muggles had swapped a belief in magic for a belief in protecting historical landmarks. In other words, Merlin became a myth and the forest non-existent on Muggle maps.”


“In the wrong hands, the circlet could be used for dark purposes and the Ministry decided through the ages that if they didn’t pursue it, it would be forgotten,” Bill continued. “And for once, the Ministry was right. The circlet has been hidden in a tomb under a bush for hundreds of years.”


“There is also the small detail that the only person who could touch the circlet once it was enchanted was Nimue herself,” Nathan mentioned dryly.


“Oh, yeah, well, there is that, too,” Bill said.


“So, exactly how are we supposed to get it?” Harry asked.


“If I remember correctly,” Nathan said, standing up and starting to pace, “there are fourteen places in the circlet for stones. The power comes from all the stones being in place and they don’t activate until the stone representing the witch performing the spell is put in place. In our case, we would have the twelve stones representing a friend or family member for each month of the year, and then one stone for Harry and one for Ginny.


“For us to remove the circlet from the place of entrapment, we have to remove a stone, preferably the stone representing Nimue.”


All eyes followed Nathan as he paced the length of the room, one hand in his pocket, one tapping his chin. He stopped as he realized silence had fallen.


“What? Oh, sorry, you’re all expecting an answer to that, aren’t you?” Nathan sat down at the table. “This may be somewhat of a stretch of an assumption, but as you pointed out, Anna, Merlin was human. He knew exactly what Nimue was doing when she was fishing for information. That being said, I’m guessing the charms he taught her were not full strength. That would mean they would weaken over time. I bet I can do a little research and come up with a few un-sticking charms based in blood magic we could try.”


“Un-sticking charms?” Ginny asked.


“Well, it’s a little more sophisticated than that, but that is the basic idea,” Nathan admitted.


“Why do we have to use this particular circlet?” Harry asked.


Bill rested his elbows on the table. “Nimue’s circlet is the only object known that was able to encapsulate such a great power. Other such objects have failed or were used on lesser souls with various rates of success. If we only have one shot at this, we need to use the best.”


“Is there any reason we can’t create our own?” Joanna asked Bill.


“It’s against Wizarding Law to create something that can entrap a soul. The Ministry couldn’t make the charms Unforgiveables because they were tailored to the specific soul — much like what we’re doing. Unable to pinpoint an exact spell to deem illegal, the Ministry deemed the manufacturing of entrapment objects illegal instead. So, we can’t create one, but that doesn’t mean we can’t use one that is already created.”



“Excuse me,” Joanna said, holding up her hand and scooting forward in her chair. “If I understand this all correctly, we are talking about a headpiece that is located in the middle of a forest in France. How do you plan to get it?”



“You know,” Anna said, sitting back in her chair and folding her hands over her stomach. “I have suddenly developed an intense craving for crepes. How about you Ginny?”


“Me?” Ginny said surprised, sitting up straight. “I love crepes. Harry?”


“Crème puffs?” Harry asked hopefully.


Anna grinned. “I love you, Harry.”


“Sorry, Anna, he’s taken,” Nathan commented.


“Oh, I don’t want to marry him,” Anna said, winking at Harry. “I just want to feed him.”


+++++



“Is this really wise, Nathan?” Anna asked as they stopped in front of the gargoyle guarding the stairs to Dumbledore’s office. “He wasn’t exactly thrilled with the whole spell in the first place.”


“What makes you say that?” Nathan asked. “He didn’t shoot it down. He even said it was impressive.”


“Right before he said he would tell the Order.”


“Which you yourself said was a good idea,” Nathan reminded her. “Anna, I need to tell him. We’re about to take at least two if not more students out of school grounds for the holidays, most likely without parental permission. And if that’s not enough, both of them are targets. We’re insane.”


Anna sighed. “You’ve got a point,” she resigned. “But we’ll have Bill with us, too, so we’ve got that going for us.”


“Treacle Tart,” Nathan said to gargoyle. Stepping on the bottom step as it began to move, Nathan turned back to offer a hand to Anna. “Quite frankly, from what I know about Albus Dumbledore, he might already have a plan worked up for when and how to tell the Order.”


“What do you mean?”


“I mean, who exactly constitutes the Order? How many people in the Order do you have to tell before you’ve told the Order? And when do you need to tell the Order?”


“He’s not that devious, is he?”


“Who’s not that devious?” Dumbledore asked from behind his desk.


Anna giggled as she blushed. “You, sir.”


“Ah, well, if you are discussing nicking seconds of pudding from the kitchen, I’m one of the best,” the Headmaster claimed.


“I’ll keep that in mind, sir,” Anna smiled.


“What may I do for you this evening?” Dumbledore asked, motioning to the seats in front of his desk.


“Bill Weasley came by this evening,” Nathan said, placing a piece of parchment on the Headmaster’s desk.


Dumbledore pulled the parchment toward him and started reading. Reaching the bottom, he raised his eyebrows at Anna and Nathan. Sitting back in his chair, he wove his fingers over his beard and studied them.


“It makes sense, sir,” Anna said quietly.


“Yes, it does,” Dumbledore nodded. “I’m just trying to determine the best way to aid you in your journey.”


“Really?” Anna smiled.


“Who all are you planning on taking with you?”


Nathan swallowed and took a deep breath. “Bill has volunteered to go along with Anna and myself. I was also hoping Harry and Ginny could accompany us.”


“Ah, yes, I have heard of Harry’s new career choice,” Dumbledore smiled.


“Sir, I know we are taking a risk, but this would be a wonderful opportunity for both of them to see what is involved in excavating a tomb,” Anna pleaded.


“This is true. I might also suggest an addition of one other,” Dumbledore said. “I would recommend taking Remus Lupin with you. His background in defense is excellent, not to mention his experience in adventuring in his younger days is well known. He also has a close connection with Harry and Ginny. You may also want to consider Nymphadora Tonks, as well. With them along, we can all say the Order knew,” he finished, winking at Anna.


Anna giggled. “Thank you, sir.”


“You’re welcome,” Dumbledore nodded before reaching to the side of his desk for a bowl sitting there. With a smile, he offered, “Pudding?”


+++++


The six students sitting in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room did not notice the stir they were causing on the walls. Word had traveled quickly, portrait to portrait, from the Headmaster’s office to here. Now, the landscape which magically reflected the seasons outside, was filled with several curious milkmaids, a shepherd and the Fat Lady, all jostling for a good spot to watch.


“You know, I am considered a rather good likeness of the Lady of the Lake,” the Fat Lady hissed, pushing one of the shephard’s sheep out of the way with her foot. “I deserve to be in the front!”


“Aren’t you supposed to be guarding the portrait hole?” hissed a milkmaid.


“No one is coming in at this time of night,” the Fat Lady replied haughtily, “so make some room!”


Down below, Ron, who was sitting in one of the high backed chairs, staring into the flames, his elbows on his knees, his chin in his hands, sighed. Hermione, who was resting against his legs, rolled her eyes.


“Ron, they’ll only be gone a few days. You can use the time to study,” she scolded.


“But still, Hermione, a real tomb! Aren’t you even curious?” Ron asked.


“Of course, I am,” Hermione answered. “But NEWTs are right around the corner!”


“Well, I’m not curious one bit,” Joanna said from the sofa as she rested her head on Neville’s shoulder. “I will gladly leave finding the cold, damp, cobwebby remains of dead people up to someone else.”


“Hear, hear,” Neville agreed.


Ginny giggled.


“Don’t start,” Ron huffed.


“By the way, Joanna,” Hermione asked, “what did Neville’s grandmother send you?”


Neville groaned as Joanna giggled. “A framed copy of the Longbottom family tree and a copy of Proper Deportment for Young Witches.”


“Really?” Ginny asked. “A family tree? You can hang it above your bed. Joanna Longbottom. That’s quite catchy.”


“Aren’t we talking about you two going on a holiday?” Neville asked, his face as red as the fire.


“No, I think we’re discussing your future, Mr. Longbottom,” Ginny teased.


“Give up now, Neville,” Harry warned.


“Give up what?” Ginny asked, sitting up.


Ron started shaking his head violently, but Harry did not notice. “Just accept that they know what’s best. Much easier that way.”


Ron stopped shaking his head and began nodding. “He’s right, you know,” he agreed.


“Going out with Hermione has really helped you, Ron,” Ginny observed, “I believe you’re getting smarter.”


Hermione patted Ron on the knee. “I know. I’m very proud.”


“Well, he’s probably smarter, but as far as Neville goes,” Harry pointed out, “even his grandmother thinks Joanna is a fine catch.”


“Excuse me! I’m not a fish!” Joanna said, swatting Harry with a pillow.


“I never said you were!” Harry cried, closing his eyes and covering his head with his hands.


“And I’m still in the room!” Neville proclaimed.


“Harry,” Ginny said, placing a hand on his chest, “stop. You’re trying to be charming again and you’re failing miserably.”


Harry chuckled and dropped his hands in defeat.


“When do you leave?” Neville asked, hugging Joanna closer.


“Easter holidays,” Ginny answered, grinning at Harry. Harry grinned back. Then, without warning, Ginny squealed. “We’re going to France!”


Ron groaned and stood up. “I’m going to bed!” he proclaimed.


“And we’re still going to France!” Harry called after him, laughing.


++++



A/N — Thank you all for your patience! My beta Anya’s computer, to borrow a phrase from my other beta wvchemteach, has gone to the great Best Buy in the sky. Her mother is being a wonderful sport though and letting her read this on her computer in her own home. My many thanks to both Anya for spending her free time crossing town to see her mom and read my story. My many thanks also to her mom for letting her do this. Moms rule!

To wvchemteach who came up with the circlet — you are an endless well of wonderful ideas and suggestions.


This is the last of the transitional chapters — phew!

Now, for any of you who are Merlin experts - I am not. I spent many hours consulting websites for fun tidbits and ideas. My Merlin tale is meant to be respectful of the original, and at the same time, a weaving of bits and pices into my world. For anyone who is interested in further reading, links follow.


For any of you who want to know when the entire Order finds out, patience, grasshopper...



Lastly, I have had the wonderful opportunity of becoming a part of a role play experience called Phoenix Rising: A Harry Potter RPG. We have 32 characters written by close to thirty talented authors. I won't tell you who I'm writing, but you might be able to guess. :) And if you check out Harry's bio, you will notice some familiar looking professors at Hogwarts...


We’re rated PG-13 and might lean to R for some violence. Come check us out at http://www.livejournal/community/pr_rpg/ . If you like it, please visit our fan community, and comment, at http://www.livejournal/comminity/pr_aeri e.


Thanks!



For the story of the Lady of the Lake and Merlin’s imprisonment - http://camelot.celtic-twilight.com/infop edia/b/broceliande.htm

Background - http://www.britannia.com/history/biograp hies/nimue.html

Background - http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/nimue .html

Background - http://www.thaliatook.com/vivian.html

F or location information - http://www.francerama.com/en/escapades/b roceliande/

For Location Information - http://www.smh.com.au/news/France/The-en chanted-wood/2005/03/25/1111692620456.ht ml?oneclick=true


Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear