Search:

SIYE Time:7:43 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 198325; Chapter Total: 6427







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own or profit monetarily from Harry Potter.



Sero Compago




Anna stood at the window of Nathan’s room, watching the Muggles on the sidewalk below. Part of her wanted to throw the shutter up, lean out and holler at them, to at least to say, “Good morning,” but she knew they wouldn’t be able to see her. Despite that, having seen them day after day for the past week, traveling to and fro on the sidewalk in front of number twelve, Grimmauld Place, she felt rather rude not waving a greeting. Anna sighed and winced, as she absent mindedly rubbed a rounded angle poking out of her stomach. As if I could forget you, she thought lovingly.


Her baby was fine. Anna had cried in relief and hugged Madam Pomfrey who had checked her out when they had returned to London. Madam Pomfrey had treated Harry and Ginny and released them to enjoy the remainder of their holidays at Grimmauld Place. Remus and Bill had been diagnosed with spell damage and exhaustion. They were ordered to bed for overnight observation and then to ease back into normal activity gradually, leaving only Nathan under the Hogwarts nurse’s care.


Getting home from the forest had been surprisingly easy. Tonks had turned a hairbrush and a tube of tooth polish into Portkeys, landing them right outside number twelve. Tonks had remained behind, and as far as Anna knew, summoned help to take care of the Death Eaters they had subdued. Anna knew most of them had been taken to Azkaban. She did not know, nor did she care, what had happened to Lucius’ body. She rather hoped he had been forgotten, left to rot in the resealed tomb.


Tonks had told her Narcissa Malfoy was in St. Mungos, guarded heavily. Dumbledore had personally paid a visit to Minister Blevins. A wise man, Milton Blevins had immediately understood Dumbledore’s reasoning behind the names suggested for guard duty. He also knew Dumbledore’s name carried an inherit trust within the wizarding public and - should he need to - being able to say he had worked with Albus Dumbledore would go a long way in keeping things under control.


Anna turned from the window as the door to Nathan’s room opened. She smiled at Tonks who peeked around the edge of the door.


“Hello, Tonks,” Anna smiled. “Come in.”


“Wotcher, Anna,” Tonks greeted quietly. “How’s Nathan doing?”


“He’s getting better,” Anna answered, crossing the room and sitting down on the edge of his bed. She motioned for Tonks to sit in the chair opposite. “How are things at St. Mungos?”


“Fine,” Tonks shrugged. “Being a member of the guard is a necessary and important honor,” she said, in an even voice, before leaning forward, “and, to be honest, rather boring. I’ll be glad when she’s in Azkaban, for several reasons.”


“How is she?” Anna asked quietly.


“Healing,” Tonks replied. “Once she’s well enough, she’ll stand trial, but that won’t be for a while.”


“Can’t you just throw her in Azkaban like she is?” Anna asked, rubbing the bridge of her nose in frustration. “And what about Lucius?”


“I believe The Daily Prophet reported today that Lucius Malfoy and his wife had been enjoying their holidays when they became the unfortunate victims of a terrible accident. His body has been given to his family to dispose of,” Tonks looked apologetically at Anna. “We’ve had to be a little bit careful with the press since we weren’t exactly supposed to be doing what we were doing in the first place. Not to mention, the fewer people who know what we were really doing, the better.


“The French Ministry isn’t too pleased with us at the moment because they’ve received some hassling from the French Muggle government over the whole destruction of a historical site thing. So, playing it up as a misguided personal holiday excursion takes some of the heat off both the French and the British Ministry. And while Minister Blevins agrees with you, we can’t just throw Narcissa in jail for falling into a tomb without risking great public unrest. Unfortunately, the Malfoy name still carries enough clout in certain circles to warrant a trial.”


Anna sighed. Without looking, she reached her hand out to Nathan and covered his still hand with her own.


Tonks cleared her throat. “What did Madam Pomfrey say about Nathan?”


“He’s a handsome bloke,” a croaky voice said from the bed.


Tonks snorted. “I didn’t know you were conscious.”


“In and out,” Nathan rasped.


Anna smiled at her husband, standing up and leaning over to place a kiss on the top of his head.


“How are you feeling?” Anna asked, holding a glass of water to his lips.


Feeling as if she was intruding, Tonks pushed her chair back and stood. “I’ll just get going,” she said, smiling as she watched Nathan touch Anna’s stomach. “I’ll check in tomorrow.”


“Thank you, Tonks,” Anna said,


“Anytime,” Tonks smiled.


+++++


Bill stood in the door of the sitting room. Harry and Ginny turned from their game of Exploding Snap to meet his gaze. Bill opened his mouth and closed it again. He pointed in the direction of the kitchen and cleared his throat. “It’s time,” Bill said, absently rubbing his side which still ached.


“Time?” Harry asked.


“Order meeting. Dumbledore just arrived.”


“Ah,” Harry said, a lump of unease forming in his stomach.


“Well, at least we won’t be getting Howlers at school,” Ginny observed, standing up.


“Or work,” Bill agreed. “The goblins hate it when I get a Howler from mum at work.”


Harry felt the rumblings of laughter begin to creep up his throat as he pictured the goblins having to witness a Molly Weasley Howler. He had a feeling the goblins hated them because it was probably one of the few things that could intimidate even them.

“Of course,” Bill continued, his eyes taking on a far away look as he remembered, “there was that one — Mum decided to bring over some muffins one morning and Fleur was - well, anyway, this Howler arrived right in the middle of my working on security in one of the deep vaults. The goblin overseeing the project wanted to know if Mum would be willing to be part of the alarm system,” Bill chuckled. “Mum didn’t think it was all that funny...”


“Harry? Ginny?” Albus Dumbledore said from behind Bill who stepped to the side. “Good evening, Bill.”


“Headmaster,” Bill said, holding out his hand.


“Still in one piece,” Dumbledore commented, his eyes twinkling at Bill over his spectacles.


“It’s going to take a little more than an old Entrapment Charm to do me in,” Bill grinned.


“I was referring to your mother,” Dumbledore winked before turning to Harry and Ginny. “Since the holidays are almost over, it is time to return to school. I am suggesting you two return with me tonight, unless you had other plans.”


“No, sir,” Harry shook his head.


“Sir, what about Professor Borgin?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Borgin’s health is improving, but he will be here for a few more days. He will return to Hogwarts as soon as he is able. Until then, I will try to live up to his standards and take over his classes,” he smiled, “which I know will be a challenge. Now, I believe the meeting is beginning. Shall we?” Dumbledore asked, turning and heading toward the kitchen.


“Sir? Who of the Order is here?” Harry asked.


Dumbledore paused. “Only trusted members.”


“Aren’t all members trusted?” Ginny asked, raising an eyebrow.


“Some, more than others,” Dumbledore replied seriously.


“Snape?” Harry asked.


“Professor Snape is not present this evening,” Dumbledore answered.


“Will he be told —“


“No,” Dumbledore interrupted. “He will not. He is no longer a member of the Order. Shall we?”


“He’s not?” Ginny said. “Why?”


Dumbledore sighed. “Severus is the reason Lucius knew where to find you.”


“How?” Harry asked.


“I’m afraid he used Legilimency on Ron,” Dumbledore answered.


“So he knows what we have,” Harry growled angrily. “He knows we went for the circlet!”


“No, I don’t believe Severus does,” Dumbledore replied. “He knows where you went, but I don’t believe he knows what you went for. Lucius Malfoy’s intent was only to harm Professor Borgin. I am assuming Lucius was rather surprised to find you and Ginny there,” he paused. “If he had, I believe Tom would have also been there. It would have been an ideal place for such an attack, after all.”


“Where is he now?” Harry asked coldly.


“I am not positive, but I believe Tom has summoned him to find out his part in this,” Dumbledore answered. “I’m afraid things will not end well for Severus.”


“What about his knowledge of the Order?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Snape has been kept out of Order business for a while now, Ginny. Any information he would be able to pass on at this point would be rather suspect in its truths.”


“Will he come back?”


“I do not know,” Dumbledore answered honestly. “For the remainder of the school year, his classes will be filled by other professors. Past that, there is little we can do. Or perhaps I should say, little we are going to do. Now, the meeting is about to begin, so shall we?” Dumbledore repeated.



“Yes, sir.” Harry held his hand out to Ginny. Weaving his fingers with hers, he followed the Headmaster into the kitchen.


++++++



The kitchen was hot, from bodies and tempers, but at last the shouting had been replaced with a silence just as charged. There were over a dozen pairs of eyes in the room but no one was looking at the two directly involved with the outlined task. Looking at them meant approval and no one in the room seemed to want to be the first one to give that.


“You’re sure?” Fred’s voice hesitantly asked, as he inspected the worn table.


“Yes. It’s good,” Dumbledore nodded.


“Yeah, that’s what you thought about —“


“George, sit down,” Bill waved a hand at his brother. “Look, we can’t change the past. This is what we’re doing.”


“They’re not asking for approval,” Moody growled to the room. “They’re asking for back up.”


“Yes, Alastor, we’re asking for your support,” Dumbledore said.


“When?” Kingsley Shacklebolt asked from the back of the room.


“We don’t know,” Bill answered. “Soon.”


“You want to draw him out,” Moody said.


“That would be ideal,” Bill nodded.


“We can help with that,” Moody nodded.


“Thank you,” Bill said solemnly to Moody.


“Don’t thank me,” Moody responded, “yet.”


“It is getting late,” Dumbledore observed. “Molly, Arthur, may I have a word?”


Bill sat down next to Harry and Ginny at the end of the table.


“That could have been worse,” he said quietly.


“I wish Professor Borgin could have been here,” Ginny said.


“I’m not so sure about that,” Bill shrugged. “We were able to gloss over certain points that he would have probably been badgered to answer, certain points that would make the whole process sound more life threatening than it has to.”


“We’re back to that ‘die a little bit’ business, aren’t we?” Ginny observed.


“Pretty much,” Bill said. “You two packed?”


Harry nodded. “Yep. All set.”


“Then happy travels and I will see you soon,” Bill said, leaning down and placing a kiss on the top of Ginny’s head. To Harry, he extended his hand. “Take good care of my sister.”


Harry grasped Bill’s hand. “Always.”


+++++



“Harry! Ginny! Wait up,” Anna called, from the stairs. “Albus, is it alright if I steal them for just a minute?”


Dumbledore nodded and returned to speaking with Kingsley Shacklebolt.


Anna descended the steps and waved Harry and Ginny to follow her into the sitting room. Lighting a fire in the fireplace, she perched on the edge of the chair opposite the sofa where Harry and Ginny sat.


“I’m going to skip the niceties because I know Professor Dumbledore wants to get you two back to Hogwarts as soon as possible,” Anna said. “Nathan was working on the spell to create your circlet before this all happened. You know the first part, where the stones are added to the circlet. What Nathan hadn’t had a chance to tell you because he hadn’t finished it yet was the second part.”


Anna took a breath and clasped her hands between her knees. Leaning forward, she smiled, her cheeks pink from the heat of the fire. “Each birthstone represents a person who is important to your life. Once that person adds his or her stone to the circlet, a ribbon is added to your bond. That ribbon holds not only the power of the birthstone, but the love each person gives you. In order for the circlet to work, those ribbons must be woven into your bond immediately following the ceremony.


“Now, your bond is made of ribbons you already had. Weaving them together was relatively easy because they were meant to be woven together. Weaving ribbons not originally part of you takes time, effort and, well, space, for lack of a better term.”


“Space?” Ginny asked.


“The last time Nathan woke up, he said that in order for you to be able to weave the ribbons properly, you two need to be someplace where you aren’t bothered by anyone. For any reason,” Anna answered, glancing at the door. “And I’m going to have to tell your mother that.”


“Tell my mother?” Ginny repeated, confused.


“That you and Harry need to go spend three days in a secluded spot with no visible chaperones,” Anna said dryly.


“Really?” Harry perked up.


“I said visible, Harry,” Anna replied, “not non-existent. You will have chaperones - just chaperones staying far enough away not to influence things.”


“I’m sorry, Anna,” Ginny shook her head, “but exactly what could chaperones influence?”


“It’s a bit hard to explain,” Anna admitted. “You know how even the best relationships come with strings attached, so to speak?”


Harry and Ginny nodded.


“Well, from what Nathan has told me, in order to make sure none of those strings get woven in with your bond, causing, uh, snags or knots — and, honestly, I’m not speaking from experience here so I hope this makes sense — you need to be able to focus solely on the love and power bestowed upon you in the circlet ceremony.”


“And not any day to day strings,” Ginny nodded.


Anna smiled relieved. “Right.”


“So, we’re having a three day secluded vacation with non-visible chaperones,” Harry summed up, a grin beginning to spread over his face.


“During which you’ll be studying for NEWTs and working on your bond,” Anna said with as much sternness as she could muster. “Right?”


“Right,” Ginny nodded, looking at Harry.


“You bet,” Harry grinned back.


Anna rolled her eyes. “I’ll let Nathan know you’re all set, then.”


“I hope he’s up again soon,” Ginny wished Anna, standing up.


“I do, too,” Anna replied, leaning over to give Ginny a quick hug. “Nathan doesn’t do bed rest well. But, better him than me,” she said ruefully, turning to hug Harry. Her eyes began to twinkle as she took in Harry’s still grinning face. “Now, I need to go catch Bill. I’m thinking he’ll make a wonderful chaperone, don’t you? Rumor has it Charlie might be coming back in town soon, too. Perhaps he’d like to chaperone, as well…maybe all the Weasley men would like to participate. Kind of make it a family thing…”


Anna’s voice trailed off into a giggle as Harry’s face fell.


+++++



Harry dumped his bag on top of his trunk and sat down on the edge of his bed. The dorm room was empty and he was fine with that. With a groan, Harry fell back and closed his eyes, the Order meeting continuing to run through his mind.


He kept seeing Molly Weasley, her face pale, her eyes wide with shock as the understanding sunk in. Bill was right. They might not have gone into as great a detail as they could have, but it had been enough. He rubbed the back of his hand where Ginny had squeezed as she watched her mum take it all in. Mrs. Weasley hadn’t yelled. Harry kind of wished she had. Then again, she hadn’t even asked a single question. She had listened, slowly leaning more and more into her husband, seeking strength.


Behind closed eyelids, Harry grinned, thinking of how Fred and George had just looked at her in surprise when the expected outburst didn’t come. Then they stared open mouthed at Harry and Ginny. Through her silence, Molly Weasley was admitting Ginny and Harry were growing up. Harry was pretty sure the twins had left Grimmauld Place trying to determine how it had happened - and if they could bottle it and sell it.


At the end, Molly had folded both of them into one of her trademark hugs before letting them go. Without thinking, Harry had leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheek, leaving Molly with a sad smile and more tears in her eyes.


Harry rolled over onto his stomach and smiled into his pillow. Then, there was the three days he was going to spend with Ginny…


The door to the dorm slammed open and bright light sliced through the dimness.


“Harry!” Ron’s voice shot through his reverie.


Harry groaned, his muscles rebelling as he rolled back over and pushed himself up on his elbows. “Hey, Ron.”


“Harry, I am so sorry, mate! I didn’t know how to shut my mind down. I didn’t mean for hi-“


“Ron, it’s alright,” Harry replied, fully sitting up on his bed.


“You know?” Ron stopped in surprise.


“Yeah, Dumbledore told us.” Harry nodded.


“I just didn’t know how to shut my mind off and then, this all happened -“


“Ron, don’t worry about it,” Harry assured him, falling back onto his pillow. “Snape is gone. We’re back —“


“Snape’s gone?” Ron repeated.


“Yeah, Snape’s gone.”


“Where?”


“Dumbledore thinks to Voldemort.”


“Really?” Ron exclaimed.


“Yeah,” Harry said, his voice muffled as he spoke into his pillow.


“For good?”


“Probably,” Harry yawned.


Ron’s face turned dark as he muttered, “Greasy git. I hope he finally gets what’s coming to him.”



+++++


Bill shifted his weight from his right foot to his left. He clasped his hands behind his back to keep from fidgeting. His eyes roamed the office, touching on the shelves filled with pristine bound books of parchment; the neatly organized desktop; and the nameplate identifying the goblin sitting in the chair as Evets, Head of Precious Stones, Metals and Other Treasure.


Evets looked up from his reading. Bill realized he was bouncing on his heels and stopped, flashing an apologetic smile. Evets returned to the requisition form Bill had handed him. Bill shifted his gaze to the only personal memento in the office, a photo of what he assumed was Evets’ mother. The resemblance was uncanny. Bill cocked his head to the side. Maybe it was his father?


“Why?”


“Pardon?” Bill asked, whipping his eyes around to meet the goblin’s skeptical stare.


“Why do you need the stones?”


Bill cleared his throat. “Chief Hexologist Borgin has requested them —“


“I can see that,” Evets snapped, tapping one of the signatures on the bottom of the page.


“We have discovered several new protection charms in tombs in Albania,” Bill replied convincingly. “They are dependent on stones such as these. We want to replicate them so we can form counter curses, per the handbook.”


Bill could have sworn Evets rolled his eyes, but he knew better. Goblins didn’t roll their eyes.


Bill jumped as Evets pounded the parchment with a stamp and pushed the paper back toward him.


“See Swelf.”


“Swelf? In Safe Boxes?” Bill repeated surprised.


“Yes,” Evets replied sourly. “Where else do you think we keep our semi-precious stones?”


“Well, uh, I…” Bill stammered, pointed lamely to the floor. “I’ll see Swelf.”


“Yes,” Evets said, returning his attention to his desktop and dismissing Bill, “you will.”


+++++




“Welcome back, Professor Borgin,” Ginny said from the doorway of Nathan’s office.


“Thank you, Ginny,” Nathan said, smiling and motioning her to come in. “Did I miss much?”


Ginny shook her head and plopped down in one of the brown leather chairs. Nathan looked tired, his skin pale and slack. His robes hung on his frame, missing the flesh to fill them out. Anna would take care of that in no time, she thought.


“Professor Dumbledore took over your classes while you were gone,” Ginny explained.


“A hard act to follow,” Nathan observed.


Ginny grinned and shrugged her shoulders. “He said the same about you.”


Nathan chuckled. “Can I help you with something?”


“Anna sent me to tell you she’s here.”


“Well, then,” Nathan said, pushing his chair back from his desk, “let’s go see our prize.”


Together, they made their way to the Room of Requirement. Ginny pushed the hidden door open and entered. The tables and blackboards were gone, replaced with one single round table, surrounded by several chairs. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were pulling out the chairs to sit down.


“Oh, good,” Anna said, “I was just about to unwrap it. Have a seat.”


Anna placed her satchel on the table and undid the buckles. Laying the flap back, she reached in and pulled out a linen wrapped bundle. Moving her bag to the floor, she carefully placed the bundle on the table and began to peel back the fabric. Anna gently lifted the circlet and placed it in the middle of the table for everyone to see. She had spent some time cleaning the years of grit and grime off the five centimeter wide plain, circular band. A dull sheen highlighted the braided metal running around the top and bottom. Matching braids surrounded each of the fourteen holes where stones should be.


“I expected it to be bigger,” Ron said into the reverent silence.


Hermione rolled her eyes. “Ron, this is a headpiece worn by a woman. How big did you expect it to be?”


“I don’t know, but something with that much magic in it, I just expected it to be bigger — or shiner,” Ron shrugged.


Nathan chuckled. “It’s old, Ron,” he said, reaching out to study it. “It lost its shine a long time ago, but not its power.”


“The circlet is a mixture of metals, Ron,” Anna explained. “Pure gold would be too soft. It wouldn’t hold the magic. I’m not completely sure what all is in this one, but the fact that it isn’t pure is why it isn’t as dazzling as you might expect.”


“It’s so simple,” Ginny said softly. “It’s really beautiful.”


“Yes, it is,” Anna agreed.


“Does Bill have the stones?” Nathan asked.


“He was supposed to be getting them today,” Anna replied. “He’ll be bringing them this weekend.”


“This weekend is the Quidditch Cup,” Ron announced, sounding a little offended that anything else could happen on the same weekend.


“Don’t worry, Ron,” Nathan chuckled, “we won’t interfere with the match. However, having it on the same day makes the match a convenient excuse for the people we need to have here, be here.”


“It?” Ron asked.


“The creation of Harry and Ginny’s circlet,” Anna answered.


“You’ve decided who it’s going to be,” Hermione said excitedly.


“Yes, we have,” Ginny answered straight faced.


Hermione sat forward in her chair, looking from Ginny to Harry expectantly. Harry grinned at her and nodded but didn’t say anything. Hermione turned to Anna, her eyes hopeful. Anna smiled and started wrapping up the circlet again. Hermione swallowed, a small squeak emitting from between her lips as she looked at Nathan. Nathan shrugged.


“Oh, tell her something, will you?” Ron pleaded. “She’s going to explode if you don’t!”


Ginny laughed. “Hermione, just don’t make any plans for Saturday night. You’re busy.”



+++++



The post-match celebratory noise didn’t faze Ron one bit as he sat on the sofa in the common room, his arms tightly wrapped around the Quidditch Cup. He stared contentedly into the fire, an extremely pleased smile on his lips as his fingers stroked the silver.


“Get a room, Ron,” Seamus complained as he climbed over Ron’s outstretched legs.


“You should be thankful, Seamus,” Ron replied in an omnipresent voice. “If it wasn’t for my guidance, this cup would not be in my arms.”


“If you keep looking at it like that, the girl who’s normally in your arms is going to get jealous,” Seamus observed.


“Hermione understands these things.”


“I understand what things?” Hermione asked, perching on the sofa next to Ron.


“You understand how important it is to work hard in order to accomplish your dreams,” Ron said, running a finger lightly down the side of the cup.


Hermione rolled her eyes. “Ron, maybe you and the cup should find a broom cupboard somewhere.”


“See,” Seamus gestured, standing up.


“Ron, Hermione,” Joanna called, fighting her way through the celebration. “Are you ready?”


Hermione’s eyes widened in anticipation. “Of course. Are we to go now?”


Joanna nodded. “Harry and Ginny are already there. We just need you two. Professor Borgin said we should really get started. It might begin to look funny if we kept certain people here longer than necessary.”


“Certain people?” Hermione asked brightly, standing up.


“I don’t know any more than you do, Hermione,” Joanna shrugged. “Sorry.”


Hermione sighed. “Come on, Ron.”


Ron didn’t move.


“Ron, let’s go.”


Clamping his lips together, Ron’s arms tightened around the cup and he shook his head.


“Ron, I’m sure you two can be alone when we get back,” Hermione said, prying Ron’s fingers from the base.


“Maybe I can bring it with us?” Ron asked hopefully as Hermione removed the cup from his grasp and placed it on the table.


“Only if you want to use that instead of the circlet,” Hermione said, leaning down to whisper close to his ear. “If we did that, you’d never be able to see it again; never hold it; never feel its smooth, cool metal under your fingertips; never be able to whisper sweet nothings to its handles…”


Ron wrinkled his nose at Hermione. “I’m coming,” he grouched, following Hermione and Joanna, his eyes lingering on the cup as it was passed around the common room.


+++++



Standing next to Harry, her hand clasped in his, Ginny surveyed the Room of Requirement. She couldn’t recall a time when this many of her friends and family had all been assembled in the same room and it had been this quiet. The hushed tones spoke not only of the significance of the occasion, but also to the fact that no one really knew what their role was in this ceremony.


It had been Dumbledore’s suggestion they keep things hush-hush. After France, he wanted as little information as possible available to those who might use it for their own purposes. Ginny had to admit, it had been rather fun teasing Hermione for the past few days. The opportunities for knowing more than Hermione did on a topic she was interested in were rare, and Ginny knew it had driven Hermione batty. Seeing her enter the room with Ron and Joanna, Ginny uncurled her fingers from Harry’s and walked over to her.


“Your wait is finally over, Hermione,” Ginny greeted her with a wide smile.


“I haven’t been that bad,” Hermione replied slightly put out.


Ron raised his eyebrows at his girlfriend.


“Oh, fine,” Hermione conceded. “I just wanted to offer my help if I could.”


“And you will,” Ginny said, linking her arm with hers, “in more ways than you know.”


Dumbledore cleared his throat and clapped his hands once to get everyone’s attention. “Good evening. I believe we are all here now which means it is time to get started. Nathan?”


“Right,” Nathan said, stepping forward. Ginny smiled. She hadn’t been wrong about Anna’s care. Nathan looked almost back to his normal self. “If everyone would please form a circle around the pedestal there, we can begin.”


Everyone shuffled into place and looked expectantly at Nathan. “As you all now know, the creation of this circlet is for express purpose of entrapping Lord Voldemort’s essence.” Nathan paused as several sharp intakes of breath could be heard throughout the room. “The circlet itself is an object of love. The original stones used in it were chosen based on a selfish love for a very selfish purpose. Tonight, we are using stones chosen out of a pure love,” Nathan smiled at Harry and Ginny who flushed slightly, “for a very unselfish reason.


“Now, all of you were chosen for specific reasons,” he continued, sweeping the circle with his gaze. “The circlet is a balanced magical object, deriving its power from the relationships between all of us. Each of us will bestow power through our love for Harry and Ginny into a symbol representing who we are, namely our mystical birthstone, and place it into the circlet. Once all twelve stones are in place, the circlet will be ready for completion. It is only completed, and therefore useable, once Harry and Ginny have also placed their stones within it. That, however, will not happen tonight. Yes, Hermione?” Nathan asked.


Hermione pulled her hand down to her side. “When will that happen?”


Nathan glanced around the circle. “When we have the essence to entrap,” he said quietly. Hermione slowly nodded in understanding and inched closer to Ron.


“Now, Bill is going to hand everyone a stone. Anna is going to hand everyone a piece of parchment corresponding to your stone. The parchment details your part of the spell. When we are done with the ceremony, we will be destroying the parchment. Next to your name, you will notice your designation in the balance. Some of your roles are two fold, in that you not only represent yourself and your birthstone, but also another figure in Harry and Ginny’s lives who is not present.”


“This is it?” Ron asked, looking up from his parchment.


Anna chuckled. “Yes, Ron. This is it. The wording does not have to be exact because it is the emotion which is the true magic. The spell, Sero Compago, means ‘join together’. Much like the circlet itself, the spell’s strength lies in its simplicity, for love at its essence, is simple.”


Harry stumbled backward as Hermione flung herself at him from across the circle. “I’m representing your sister! Oh, Harry! I’m honored,” she cried tearfully.


Harry chuckled and patted her on the back. “Thanks, Hermione. You are an amazing sister — always telling me what to do, what not to do, bugging me to study —“


“Oh!” Hermione pulled back and swatted his stomach. Wiping the tears at the corners of her eyes, she stood on her tip toes to place a kiss on his cheek. “Thank you.”


“No, Hermione,” Harry grinned. “Thank you.”



Bill handed Nathan his stone and took the empty spot on his left. Anna handed him a piece of parchment and stood on his right. Looking around the circle, Nathan watched as heads lowered to read the words written on the parchment. He felt a sense of warmth unfurl in his middle and spread throughout his body as he looked at the people in the circle. As the circlet deemed necessary, this truly was a family of sorts and he was a part of it. He felt Anna weave her fingers in with his and he looked down into her eyes. She smiled up at him. “Ready?” she whispered. Nathan nodded.


In the middle of the circle was a simple, wood pedestal. On the pedestal rested the circular band of brushed gold, elegant in its simplicity. In the band, were fourteen holes.


Nathan stepped forward, a deep green emerald resting flat on his outstretched palm. He cleared his throat and took a deep breath, glancing briefly at the parchment in his hand. In a clear, strong voice, he spoke, his eyes on Harry and Ginny.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of January’s emerald, for my mother Catarina, mentor and friend to Ginevra Molly Weasley. The emerald represents the love and contentment needed to protect you.” Nathan flicked his wand over the emerald. “Sero Compago.“


The emerald glowed, a light radiating from within, casting green rays throughout the room. Carefully, Nathan picked up the stone and placed it in the first hole in the circlet. Hermione gasped as the metal molded to the shape of the stone and cemented it in place. The light faded. Nathan stepped back and nodded at Arthur.


Arthur Weasley stepped forward, an oval green stone, flecked with pink and blue in his palm. He smiled gently at his daughter.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of February’s bloodstone, for myself, Arthur, father of Ginevra Molly Weasley. The bloodstone represents growth and healing needed to protect you. Sero Compago.”


Arthur held the glowing bloodstone to the circlet and it too was bonded in place.


Ron stepped forward and cleared his throat. He flashed a grin at Harry before starting.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of March’s Jade, for myself as I represent — no, hang on — as I am Harry’s brother.” Harry’s shoulders shook with a silent chuckle as Hermione looked at Ron in shock for deviating from the parchment. “Jade represents good fortune and friendship and promotes wisdom and long life. Sero Compago.”


The pale green jade became the third stone of the circlet.


Albus Dumbledore stepped forward, his eyes twinkling at Harry over his spectacles. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of April’s opal as I take pride in being Harry James Potter’s mentor. This aqua colored opal holds within its depths hope and purity, the power of foresight and acts as a conduit of truth. These powers I give to you. Sero Compago.”


The opal sent aqua waves of light around the room as it took its place in the circlet.


Anna took her place by the pedestal and smiled warmly. She rested her open palm on the top of her growing belly, a pale blue sapphire lying dormant on it.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of May’s sapphire as I take the honored place of Harry’s mother Lily. This sapphire represents your mother’s enlightenment and inner peace. Sero Compago.”


Anna held the sapphire to the circlet and stepped back.


Luna glided to the middle of the circle. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of June’s Moonstone,” Luna held up the milky white stone for all to see, “as I am Ginny’s friend. This moonstone, known as the birthstone of emotional peace, tranquility and harmony, brings good fortune, balancing the yin and the yang. Sero Compago.”


The room became bathed in grey beams of light as the moonstone became part of the circlet.


Neville took Luna’s place. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of July’s Ruby as I am Harry’s friend.” Neville cleared his throat, his cheeks flushing slightly in the glow of the torches as he continued. “This ruby represents passion, strength, courage and protection.” Neville held his wand above the red stone. “Sero Compago.”


With a steady hand, Neville held the warm red ruby up to its proper spot on the headpiece. He turned back and smiled at Joanna who stepped forward.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of August’s Diamond as I represent a sister for Ginny. The diamond gives protection, purity and peace and I give them to you,” Joanna said softly, smiling at Ginny. “Sero Compago.”


Dazzling clear light shot out of the middle of the diamond, separating into all the colors of a blood bond as the circlet molded around the edges of the stone.


“Within this circlet,” Hermione said clearly as she stepped up to the pedestal, “I bestow the power of September’s Agate as I am Harry’s sister,” she said, ignoring Ron’s ‘I told you so’ look. “The agate guards against danger, giving strength and courage. Sero Compago.”


The agate’s warm golden hues made the dull metal of the circlet grow richer as it took its place in the headpiece.


Molly Weasley stepped slowly into the circle, wiping her eyes with a hankie. She swallowed and took a calming breath, pausing to study Harry and Ginny before smiling tearfully at them. “Within this circlet,” she spoke, her voice full of emotion, “I bestow the power of October’s Jasper as I am Ginny’s mother. May Jasper drive away the evils spirits and keep you safe as it protects you. Sero Compago.”


Pale lavender touched the corners of the room as it became the tenth stone.


Bill touched his mother on the shoulder as he took his place. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of November’s pearl as Ginny’s brother. The pearl represents wisdom through experience. Sero Compago.”


Bill held the pearl in between his forefinger and thumb, its glowing luster turning his skin a brilliant shimmering white, as he placed it next to the Jasper.


Hagrid cleared his throat as he stepped forward, the black onyx almost lost in his massive hand. “Within this circlet, I bestow th’ power of December’s onyx,” he began, digging in his pocket for his tablecloth sized handkerchief, “as I stan’ ‘ere for ‘arry’s da’.” Snuffling, Hagrid hiccupped, before continuing. “May it bring yeh ‘appiness — hic - and sharpen yeh intiuition an’ instincts.” Hagrid glanced over at Dumbledore who gave a barely perceptible nod. Bringing up his pink umbrella, Hagrid held it above the stone. “Sero Compago.”


The onyx took on a brilliant sheen as the magic bonded it into the circlet.


Luna patted Hagrid’s arm as he rejoined the circle, blubbering.



Harry and Ginny stepped into the circle. They held no stones, only their wands which they touched in unison to the circlet and spoke as one, “Sero Compago.”


The two remaining holes shimmered, the braids around the openings glimmering in the torchlight momentarily before returning to their dull sheen. Harry and Ginny looked back expectantly at Nathan.


“It’s done,” he said, smiling.


Bill held out his hand to Harry and dropped a ruby matching the one Neville had placed in the circlet into Harry’s outstretched palm. Into Ginny’s, he dropped a diamond.


“Don’t loose those,” he said in all seriousness.


“What do we do with the circlet?” Harry asked, tucking the ruby into his jeans pocket.


“I will keep it in my office for the time being,” Dumbledore answered, picking it up carefully in his hands. “When you need it, it will be there for you.”


“Thank you, sir,” Harry said. “Uh, and thank you, all,” he said, looking up at everyone.


“Yes,” Ginny nodded, taking Harry’s hand, “without you, this could not work.”


“No, Ginny,” Dumbledore said softly, pausing with his hand on the door, “you are wrong. Without you and Harry, this,” he held his arms wide to encompass everyone in the room, “this would not work. Thank you.”


Ginny cheeks flamed red as she glanced up at Harry. Harry put his arm around her and pulled her into a hug, happily oblivious to those around them.


With a nod of his head and an understanding smile, Albus Dumbledore held the door open for everyone else to exit.


Anna approached Harry and Ginny. “Now, you two, I’m terribly sorry to say, but you’ve just contracted a highly contagious case of Wizard Pox.”


“Damn,” Ginny commented mildly.


Anna chuckled. “It’s going around. Can’t be too careful, you know. You have three days. After seventy two hours, the ribbons fade away so you have to work quickly. Bill has your Portkey. He’ll stay nearby tonight, along with Moody. Tomorrow, I believe your dad, Ginny, and Remus will be there. Kingsley Shacklebolt and Tonks will be there Monday. Do you have your things? Good. Have fun and if you need anything from Nathan or me, one of your chaperones can get us a message.”


“Come on, you two,” Bill said, holding out quill. “Grab hold. You’ve got work to do!”



+++++



Harry closed the door after Bill who had left them with a picnic basket of food and a reminder that he and Moody would be right on the other side of the clearing if they needed anything. In a tent. A cold, sand filled, curse breaker tent. Harry waved cheerfully at him through the small window in the door and turned to Ginny. “So,” he grinned, wrapping her in his arms. “What do we do first? Eat?”


Ginny snorted. “No, Ron! Don’t you want to see what these ribbons look like?”


Harry let his forehead fall to Ginny’s shoulder. “Not really, Hermione. We’re alone. In a cottage. We have three days….”


Ginny giggled. “We have three days and we have no idea how hard this is going to be. Harry, when we leave this cottage, this has to be done. And if it’s going to take time, then we need to start now,” she said, stepping backward out of his arms. Taking a hold of his hands, Ginny cocked her head to the side. “Of course,” she batted her eye lashes at him, “if we get it all done early, no one says we have to leave the cottage until Monday evening, either.”


Harry sighed and met Ginny’s eyes. She winked at him. Rolling his eyes, Harry chuckled.


“You win,” he conceded. “Where do you want to do this?”


Ginny surveyed the tiny cottage. The front door opened into the main room built around a large, stone fireplace in the middle of the back wall. A worn, but comfortable looking sofa anchored a woven rug and faced the fire. Off to the right was a small kitchen area, designed for function not entertaining. A small table buffered on either side with two chairs waited under a window blackened by night. Ginny hoped they would be able to see the forest through it in the morning. There were two doors on the other end of the room. Ginny grinned at the memory of Anna assuring her mum at Grimmauld Place that yes, there were two bedrooms and yes, the beds were charmed that if a second person tried to sleep in them they were automatically tossed on the floor. On her way past Ginny, Anna had whispered out of the side of her mouth, she wasn’t so sure about the sofa, though.


“How about in front of the fireplace?” Ginny suggested brightly.


“Fireplace,” Harry repeated, motioning for Ginny to go first.


Ginny knelt in front of the hearth and touched her wand to the logs. Flames began to dance as light and warmth infiltrated the room. Harry sat cross legged on the rug and looked expectantly at Ginny.


“Did Anna or Nathan tell you how to do this?” Harry asked.


Ginny giggled. “Professor Borgin said we’d know when we saw it.”


“That’s helpful,” Harry commented.


“That’s what Anna said before she swatted him with a roll of parchment,” Ginny smiled, holding up her hand. “Let’s give it a go. If we can’t figure this out, we can always ask for a suggestion from our omnipresent yet invisible honor guard.”


“Right,” Harry said, weaving his fingers with hers and closing his eyes.


The ribbons were there. They always were, shining with strength, their colors deeper than they were even last week. Ginny smiled at the hues. Love did that, she mused. Surrounding the woven fabric of their bond were twelve new strands, each the color of the corresponding birthstone. Ginny marveled at the twelve, tingling running up her spine at the thought that they had twelve people in their lives who loved them enough to give them such a gift.


Harry watched the loose ribbons, floating freely behind his closed eyes. A lot of green, he thought and chuckled. The bond rippled with his laughter. Focusing on his love for Ginny had opened up a flood gate of abilities. Suddenly, sending magic into the bond was as easy as falling in love with Ginny all over again and every time he experienced it, Harry wanted to do it again and again. Most of all, he simply wanted Ginny to know she had his heart for always, and he would do anything in his power to show her that. Harry’s mind spoke for his heart and he watched, in fascination as the first ribbon — lavender for Ginny’s mum — dipped into the bond.


Harry felt Ginny smile through the bond. It pushed her happiness into him. He kept concentrating on his love, watching the ribbon weave in and out and under the other ribbons, becoming another shimmering color in the fabric. As it had when they first bonded, their bond stretched tight, as if it was adjusting to the new ribbon and the power it brought with it. Behind his closed eyes, Harry saw a flash of light. Had his eyes been open, he would have seen the cottage bathed in light purple. The bond returned to normal, fluttering between the two of them, now with eleven ribbons floating beside it.


Jubilation filled Harry as he realized that yes, they could do this. However, just as sudden, exhaustion flooded his body. Focusing on the love he felt for Ginny had been so easy he hadn’t realized how much magic it actually took to do the weaving. He now knew why it was going to take three days to do this.


He felt Ginny squeeze his hand. He blinked.


“Well done, Mr. Potter,” Ginny smiled.


“You knew all along how to do that, didn’t you?” Harry stated dryly.


“Well, Professor Borgin had said that it probably wasn’t all that different from sending magic in and out of the bond, but he wasn’t sure. I’m guessing he was right?”


Harry smiled, and rubbed the palm of his hand on his forehead and nodded. Then he yawned. “I feel like we’ve just spent two hours at Quidditch practice.”


Ginny nodded. “I know what you mean. I guess that makes sense, though. Introducing new magic into established magic that just keeps growing stronger is bound to be tough. But,” Ginny said, unbending her knees and standing, stretching her arms to the ceiling, “the good part is the sentiment behind the ribbons is strong and they were given for the purpose of joining the bond so it’s all doable.”


Harry looked at Ginny impressed. “Wow. You’re good.”


“Yes, I am,” Ginny grinned. “And,” she yawned, “tired and hungry. How about you?”


“Starved,” Harry admitted, standing up.


Ginny walked to the cottage door and groaned as she hoisted the picnic basket up. “Well, between Dobby and Mum, I’m sure this basket is loaded with all your favorites. It certainly weighs enough.”


“Here,” Harry said, taking the basked from her and moving it to in front of the fire.


Ginny ventured into the kitchen area and came back with plates, napkins and silverware. Five minutes later, the contents of the basket were spread out on the rug and their plates filled. Between mouthfuls, Harry studied the cottage.


“So, which room do you want?” he asked, a note of disappointment in his voice as he counted the two bedrooms.


“The one next to yours,” Ginny replied, stifling a yawn with the back of her hand.


“I think that can be arranged,” Harry smiled. “I’ll do dishes. You go sleep.”


“You’re my hero,” Ginny smiled sleepily.


“I know,” Harry said, leaning down to place a kiss on her lips. “Sweet dreams, Gin.”


“You too, Harry.”




++++


“You cooked?” Ginny asked, wandering up behind Harry, rubbing her eyes with the cuff of her pajamas.


“I reheated,” Harry announced, turning from the stovetop to wrap his arms around Ginny. He pulled her close and gave her a light kiss. “How’d you sleep?”


“Well, remind me tonight to place a cushioning charm on my mattress before I fall asleep,” Ginny winced as she stretched.


“That good, eh? Tea?” Harry offered.



“Oh, yes, please,” Ginny replied gratefully. “We’re going to need all the energy we can get. I was thinking that we’ve got two full days and eleven ribbons. If we split them up and space them throughout the day, we should be alright.”


“Really?” Harry asked, setting a plate filled with various breakfast foods on the table.


“Oh, I don’t know,” Ginny said, wrapping her hands around the mug Harry gave her. “But it sounds good. That’s a ton of food,” Ginny commented, as Harry set down a plate of sausages.


“I think Anna may have had something to do with breakfast,” Harry noted.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, sipping her tea. “She does like breakfast.”


“Glad she’s on our side,” Harry said, spearing a sausage.


“You know, there’s no reason we have to stay in the cottage to do this,” Ginny commented, pulling a muffin apart. “Our guard will follow us wherever we go. I was thinking maybe we could explore and maybe do a little of the weaving outside.”


“Sounds good to me,” Harry said. He watched Ginny spreading butter on her muffin and grinned. “This is fun.”


“Eating breakfast?” Ginny asked, taking a bite.


“Eating breakfast with you,” Harry replied. “It’s kind of like we’re all grown up and this is our house.”


“I used to play house,” Ginny smiled remembering. “Having no sisters to play it with me, Mum would make Ron play with me. At first, I let him be the father. He had a job at the Ministry just like Dad and he would come ‘home’ and ask me how my day was and I’d tell him whatever made up chores I could think of. Then I’d ask him how his day was. Then, as he got older, he started making a fuss over playing it with me. I overheard Mum bribing him one day to play it with me, so I decided it was time we changed roles.”


“Ron became the mum?” Harry asked.


“No, Ron became my baby,” Ginny giggled. “Nappies and all.”


Harry turned positively red from laughter.


“Of course, knowing that he had been bribed with treacle tart, I told Ron he could just be the dad again if he gave me his treacle tart.”


“Did he?” Harry gasped.


“Yeah,” Ginny nodded, her eyes twinkling. “Especially after I threatened to give the picture I took of him dressed in a bonnet to Fred and George.”


Harry wiped at the corners of his eyes.


“Wonder why he hasn’t shared that one with me.”


Ginny chuckled. “Yeah, I wonder why. Remind me to show you the picture one day.”


“You still have it?” Harry grinned.


“Oh, yes,” Ginny nodded. “One of these days I’m going to give it to Hermione. After all she puts up with, I think she deserves it.”


“Yeah, she does,” Harry agreed, standing up and clearing his and Ginny’s plates.



+++++


Nathan leaned down to place a kiss on his wife’s belly. “Take good care of your mum, today, alright?”


“Yes, he takes care of me alright. Recently, he’s started taking care of me by swelling my ankles to the size of grapefruits. He’s a thoughtful one, your son,” Anna said, buckling her satchel.


“Could be your daughter,” Nathan called over his shoulder as he opened the door to their flat.


“No, my daughter would be more considerate of her mother’s feet. After all, she’ll be borrowing my shoes.”


Nathan chuckled, giving Anna a quick kiss as she passed by him on her way to work. “Hope she likes work boots. Have a good one.”


“You, too,” Anna waved, before heading off.



++++



“You would think after doing seven of these, it would get easier,” Harry observed, slumping back against the edge of the sofa.


“Practice makes perfect?” Ginny offered, plopping down beside him.


“Something like that,” Harry nodded.


“Well, look at this way,” Ginny said, reaching over and bringing Harry’s hand over to rest in her lap. “Our bond is getting loads of practice and is becoming stronger.”


“That doesn’t make me feel better,” Harry said, leaning his head back.


Ginny giggled. “I know what you mean.”


“Hey, Gin?”


“Yeah?”


“Are you worried?”


“About the spell?” Ginny asked, sitting up so she could look at Harry properly.


“Yeah,” Harry answered, lifting his head and meeting her gaze.


Ginny sighed. “I think I’m more scared of what happens after,” she said, looking down at their entwined hands in her lap. “I mean, how many more people have to die because of Tom? It makes me wish we could go and just do it right now.”


“Do you think it will work?”


“Of course it will work,” Ginny replied with confidence. “It has to work. Are you worried?”


Harry removed his hand from Ginny’s and pulled her against his chest. “When I first learned of the Prophecy, all I could think of was how I had to kill Voldemort — it was something I had to do by myself. But, here we are, doing it together. I don’t have to do this on my own. I mean, I still have to do the final bit, but the rest, I get to do with you.”


“Lucky me?” Ginny smiled into Harry’s chest.


“No, lucky me. I mean, the fact we’re in this together means…,” Harry searched for the words to express his heart. It was more than gratitude. It went much deeper than that.


Ginny lifted her head and looked up at Harry. Gently she placed her hand on the side of Harry’s face and pressed her lips to his. Pulling back she smiled into his eyes. “Harry, there isn’t anywhere else I could be throughout this than with you.”


Harry felt his throat close from emotion. He crushed Ginny to him, pressing his lips onto hers, hoping that his actions would say what his words couldn’t.


++++++


Healer Winters nodded to the guards as one of them held the door open for him. Mid-morning sun streamed through the windows, bleaching everything in the sterile hospital room and temporarily blinding him.


“Mrs. Malfoy, I am here to change your dressings.”


It took a moment for him to locate his patient, leaning against a smaller man half hidden in shadows. The half he was able to see, Healer Winters could only describe as rodent looking.


“Sir, no visitors are allowed —“


Healer Winters stopped in mid sentence. He licked his lips nervously and swallowed. The blood in his face drained to his stomach. He opened his mouth to alert the guards.


He never spoke again.



+++++



Harry fell back onto the blanket, wincing as his shoulder blades hit a root or rock or stick. He didn’t know which. He just knew it hurt. Everything hurt, to be honest. But they were done. He closed his eyes and filled his lungs with fresh, forest air. He felt Ginny snuggle up to his side. He tried to turn his head to kiss the top of her head but his neck hurt too much.


“I ache,” Ginny mumbled into his side.


Harry made a noise in the back of his throat.


“Who knew concentrating so much would take so much out of a witch?” Ginny sighed.


“Or wizard,” Harry groaned.


“We need to get back,” Ginny stated faintly.


“No, we don’t.”


“No, we don’t,” Ginny agreed. She smiled as she felt Harry’s breathing even out. She snuggled closer and closed her eyes.



In the forest, several meters back, Tonks checked her watch.


“How are they doing?” Kingsley Shacklebolt asked from behind her.


“Fine,” Tonks answered.


“How much longer?” Kingsley asked.


“Not much,” Tonks said, settling herself against a tree. “Not much longer at all.”



+++++



“Hey, Bill,” Lester James greeted, stopping by the edge of Bill’s desk. “Have you seen Anna?”


“Yeah, she was here earlier,” Bill answered distractedly, his eyes roving the paperwork on his desk. “Maybe she went out for lunch.”


“It’s 4:30,” Lester commented. “And I had lunch with her today. Well, I mean we picked it up from the cart out front. Come to think of it, she said she needed to run across the street for something and would be right back. Look, I need her approval on a new modification to a hex.”


“Why don’t you give it to me? I’ve got a 5:00 with her.” Bill held his hand out without looking up. “I’ll give it to her and put it on your desk.”


“That’d be great. Thanks!”


“No problem,” Bill said, his eyes still on his parchment as Lester walked away. He made a few more notations before glancing up, his eyes falling on Anna’s open door. It wasn’t like Anna to just disappear. She usually let someone know where she was, and most times, that someone was him. He had been at his desk all afternoon.


Listening to his sense of unease, Bill pushed his chair back from his desk and headed toward Anna’s office. It was empty. He stepped in, noticing several sheets of parchment on her desk. None of it was of a sensitive nature, but Anna didn’t leave any type of parchment lying around if she was going to be out of her office for a long period of time. It was Gringotts policy.


Bill turned the top piece of parchment around. It was a requisition form, much like the one he had given Swelf last week. It was for a series of mint condition coins, to be used for the purpose of testing hexes. Bill shook his head. That wasn’t an unusual request. So why did it feel like something was not right?


Bill picked up the parchment and read the signature at the bottom. Munch — he was one of the goblins who worked the front lobby counter. With a determined step, Bill left Anna’s office.


“Bill? Did you get it?” Lester called from his desk.


“Not now, Lester!” Bill barked, a little gruffer than he intended.


Bill’s gate increased as he walked down the corridor. Slapping the doors into the lobby with his palm, he shoved them open. He swiped at the perspiration forming under his brow. Munch was at the far end of the room, helping a witch who was folded over from age, barely tall enough to see over the counter. Munch sent Bill a disapproving snarl as he paced behind the old woman, his heels thudding on the marble floor with each worried step. Light sliced across his boots as the front doors opened.


“Bill!” Fred’s voice shouted through the crowd.


Goblins all down the lobby desk shot Fred disgusted glares as he ran through the maze of customers.


“Fred — is this import-“


“Bill, here, over here,” Fred barked in a hushed whisper, firmly pulling Bill over to the darkened corner of the lobby.


“Look, Fred, I’ve got —“


Fred pulled out his wand. “Muffliato. Bill, Narcissa Malfoy escaped.” Fred said hurriedly, his face flush from running.


Bill stopped, his sweaty hands wrinkling the parchment he held in his grasp. “Escaped? How could she escape? She was under guard. She didn’t have a wand-“


“No, but I think someone smuggled her in one. Or helped. The Healer was transfigured into an end table. The guards were killed from behind. She — they escaped out the window of her room.”


Bill felt his stomach roll with nausea. He looked down at the parchment in his hand. “When?”


“This morning. Right before lunch. The Healer went in to change her bandages at 11:30. He never came back out.”


“She’s got Anna,” Bill said stonily.


“What? What do you mean, she’s got Anna?” Fred said incredulously.


Bill pulled Fred further into the corner. “Anna’s been missing since after lunch.”


“Are you sure she just didn’t go home?” Fred asked.


“She didn’t go home. She’s gone,” Bill answered with certainty, swallowing against the cold hard lump of fear forming in his gut. He stared intently at Fred, his mind grasping what had to happen next. He so did not want to be the person to do it, but he did not have a choice. His voice quiet but strong, he spoke.


“We have to tell Nathan.”


+++++


A/N — My thanks to my betas wvchemteach for making sure Hermione sniffled and Hagrid blubbered. To Anya for pointing out that Anna’s baby was NOT relocating her to the side of a fruit stand. To bogus7 — I’m sorry, they don’t get shorter!



Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear