Search:

SIYE Time:23:47 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 192437; Chapter Total: 8226







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.






Nathan tossed the last sliver of wood into his fireplace and mopped his brow. All that was left of his desk was its contents, piled against the wall under the windows. It had taken two days to put the rest of his flat right again. When he had risen this morning, he finally admitted he was unable to put off cleaning up his study any longer. Armed with a mug of tea and a determined look on his face, Nathan had approached his sanctuary. Anger caused his stomach to roll as he sifted through the debris, most of it books burnt by spells. His shelves, now holding a third of the volumes they once had, stood as a reminder of just who he was dealing with.


Turning to the pile of odds and ends he had set aside, Nathan knelt down and pulled a box toward him. Placing the clutter that had collected in his desk inside, the box was soon full of quills, ink pots, spell-o-tape, clean parchment and a polishing rag for his wand. Scooping up the sickles that had slid around every time he opened a drawer, he stood up and pushed them into his pocket. Lifting the box up, he visually examined the contents as he carried it to his kitchen. So, this is what my life amounts to, eh? he thought wryly.


Setting the box on the table, he heard a gentle tap-tap-tap on the window above the sink. Moving around the table, he pushed the window open. A small grey barn owl hopped onto the sill and held out its leg expectantly. Nathan untied the parchment and stroked the owl on its head. Nathan’s hand froze in midair as a sudden hiss came from behind his shoulder and flash of fur flew by his ear.


“Accio!” Nathan exclaimed as the owl hopped backward once, turned, and flew out the window, flicking the cat with his wing as if to say, Touche!


“Seriously! That is no way to treat the messenger,” Nathan scolded, picking his cat up and not so gently tossing him on the kitchen floor. Accio gave him a baleful look before heading off to find a sunbeam.


Nathan unfolded the parchment in his hand and recognized his mother’s handwriting. He smiled as he felt an old, long forgotten excitement build in his chest. While he had been away at school, his mother had always written warm, funny letters, full of bizarre gossip and strange bits of information that had nothing to do with anything. At first glance, Nathan could see this letter was definitely about something, but it appeared his mother had tried to write it vaguely enough that should the owl be intercepted, it would be hard to decipher exactly what she meant.



Nathan —

It is a wonderful day to begin. My friend seems very interested in what I have been able to pass on so far. She is a very bright young woman and will be a pleasure to work with.

It has occurred to me that you and I never had a good opportunity to chat, especially regarding the circumstances of my friends. I was hoping we might do that.

Thank you. I will be in touch soon.
Take care —

C.




Nathan sighed. By circumstances, his mother most likely meant the immortality spell. Recalling his youth, Nathan knew his mother had never asked a question unless she had a good reason. Reaching for a small pot sitting on the mantel, Borgin scooped out some Floo power and threw it into the fireplace.


“Albus Dumbledore!” he spoke into the flames and waited a few moments until Dumbledore’s head appeared amidst the dancing fire.


“Good morning, Nathan,” the headmaster said.


“Albus. I have received an invitation to go to the country for a chat,” he commented mildly. Since the break in, he was not about to reveal anything unnecessary over something so easily monitored as the Floo network.


“I hear the country is lovely this time of year,” Dumbledore’s head replied thoughtfully. “Is this a friendly chat?”


“Probably a more serious one, actually,” Nathan said trying to sound unconcerned. Nathan saw Dumbledore pause and nod.


“Please give your friend my best,” he said.


“I will. Thank you, Albus,” Nathan said as Dumbledore’s head disappeared from his fireplace. Nathan stared at the flames, wondering what his mother really wanted. Then, realizing he was wasting time, he headed into his bedroom to pack.


++++


Hermione stood at the edge of the garden, clutching a book to her chest. She watched as Ron scooped an escaping gnome up, whirled it around and tossed it over the hedge. She smiled the smile of a satisfied cat. Quidditch had been good to her boyfriend. No one could deny the grace and skill he had acquired playing the game. It matched the confidence he now carried himself with, on and off the field. And it went well with those broad shoulders and muscular arms that sent another gnome flying out of the garden.


Her smile disappeared as she thought of the past few days. She had tried to get Ron to talk about the argument that occurred the night Harry and Ginny had left, but he had stubbornly refused. She knew he loved Harry and Ginny deeply and his anger was born out of his innate sense of protectiveness. That he cared so deeply was one of the reasons she loved him so much. But it wasn’t only Harry and Ginny. The strain between his parents and him was wearing on Ron. He was finding it hard to forgive them for letting Ginny go with Borgin. Hermione could tell he hadn’t slept well from the smudges under his eyes. Watching him take his frustration and worry out on the garden’s magical creatures, she was hoping her suggestion would give him some relief.


Clearing her throat, Hermione took a step toward Ron.


“I think this might be the first time you’ve ever de-gnomed your mum’s garden without being asked,” she commented, hoping to make him smile.


Ron heaved the gnome he was holding over the hedge. He ran his hands through his hair and shrugged his shoulders.


“Needed to be done,” he said, wiping his sweaty brow on the sleeve of this t-shirt.


“Kind of early in the morning to be doing it,” Hermione commented, sitting down cross legged on the ground.


Ron flopped down next to her. “Yeah, I guess.”


Hermione laid the book she had brought with her on her lap and ran her palm over the cover. “Ron,” she said, “I’ve been doing some reading on Blood Bonding-“


“I don’t want to hear about it!” Ron said, starting to push himself off the ground.


Hermione put her hand on his arm to stop him. “Ron, it’s not a bad thing.”


“I don’t care! They let her go-“


“I know, Ron! They let her go with a Death Eater. But, really, you can’t honestly believe your mother and father, or Dumbledore for that matter, would let their own child or Harry go with someone they didn’t trust?”


“Yes, I do!”


“Ron, you’re just saying that. Think about it, she’s their only daughter! Harry’s like a son. They wouldn’t knowingly put them in danger. You heard what Professor Borgin and his mum said. This ceremony will protect Harry and Ginny. I’ve read about it. It’s a good thing.”


Ron opened his mouth to argue and shut it again. Clenching his jaw shut, he looked out over the garden, the sun glistening off the dew clinging to the grass. Hermione watched as Ron exhaled slowly, deflating.


“Ron,” Hermione said quietly. “The success of a Blood Bonding depends greatly on the state of mind of the witch and wizard involved.”


Ron turned to look at Hermione.


“Ginny’s birthday is coming up, and I was thinking perhaps we should see if we could go and celebrate with them,” Hermione finished.


Ron sighed. He wasn’t sure if he was more exhausted from lack of sleep or all the worry. He knew what Hermione said was true, even if he didn’t agree. He hated seeing the strain his mum and dad were under, first because of Percy and now Ginny. He felt horrible adding to it. When Harry had taken Borgin’s side, Ron had been blinded by fear and anger. Staring at the ceiling the past two nights, Ron had determined part of his anger had been because Harry got to be the one to look out for his little sister. Harry got to be her protector. He had been surprised to realize he was envious of that. But honestly, deep down, Ron knew if Ginny needed to do this, there wasn’t anyone he would rather have by her side than Harry. He had taken pride in his role as big brother. Listening to Hermione, he realized he also took great pride in being Ginny’s friend.


Ron turned to look at Hermione and raised his eyebrows. “Go and celebrate and…”


“And…patch things up,” she continued. “From what I’ve read, they need to be —“


“Okay.”


“-in the best — okay?” Hermione repeated. “Okay?”


Ron nodded. “Okay. We’ll need to ask Mum and Dad, but okay.”


Hermione smiled widely at him and flung herself at him, catching him in the chest and knocking him backwards. Ron grunted as he fell backward, his arms encircling her. Feeling lighter than he had in several days, Ron leaned his head back, tightened his arms around his girlfriend and grinned at the sky.


+++++


“Good morning, Mother!”


Catarina screamed, dropping the platter of sausages she had just dished up. Ceramic splinters went flying and sausages rolled to the far corners of the kitchen. Holding her hand to her heart, she whirled around.


“Nathan!” she exclaimed. “What in the world are you doing there?”


“I’ve come for breakfast,” he announced, pushing open the screen door. Walking over to her, he leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before sitting down at the table and looking around the kitchen.


Catarina stared at him and raised her hand to her cheek. He had kissed her. He hadn’t done that in…well, years.


Ginny slid into the kitchen. “Is everything alri — ah!” she exclaimed as her eyes lit on Nathan. “Professor Borgin, what are you doing here?”


“I’ve come for breakfast,” he repeated. “And to perhaps stay a day or two,” he added.


“Really?” Catarina commented. “You received my Owl?” she asked as she directed a broom and dustpan to sweep up the sausages and platter pieces. Ginny realized this was the first time she had seen Catarina use her wand. Pulling out a chair opposite Nathan, she sat down.


“I did,” Nathan replied, looking around. “Where’s Harry?”


“He’s outside,” Ginny said. “He’s gone for a run. Is something wrong?”


“No, no. Mother just asked me to visit, and Dumbledore thought it a good idea to come check up on your progress,” Nathan said.


Catarina carried a platter of toast to the table and placed it next to the pot of jam. She smiled apologetically at Ginny and hit Nathan upside the head with her dish towel.


“Oy!” Nathan exclaimed. “What was that for?”


“That was for ruining the sausages.”


Nathan rolled his eyes causing Ginny to giggle. “So, how are things going?” he asked, spreading raspberry jam on his toast triangle.


“We haven’t really started, yet,” Ginny answered, leaning forward and clasping her hands together in excitement. “Your mum gave me some incredible notes to study. I’ve read them all at least three times.”


Nathan smiled at her enthusiasm. “That’s wonderful, Ginny. So, today you start the real work?”


Catarina sighed. “Nathan, you are a professor! Reviewing notes is real work, too!”


Nathan winked at Ginny. “True, but nearly as much fun as throwing spells.”


Catarina shook her head and stood up, walking over to the stove top and picking up the tea kettle.


“So, what has struck your fancy the most?” he asked Ginny.


Ginny sat back and thought for a moment. “The whole idea of having my bond when I was born is fascinating and creepy all at the same time. Catarina,” Ginny mused, turning to face Catarina, “I’ve been meaning to ask you. What does a Mediator do for a living? I mean, what am I qualified for when I’m done?”


Catarina chuckled. “Absolutely nothing, Ginny, in the professional world, Muggle or Wizard. A Mediator is a one-on-one type of thing, so it’s not a real money maker. Why?”


“Well, my OWL results are probably waiting for me at home,” Ginny shrugged. “When I get back, I’m going to have to choose what I want to do.”


“Have you given it any thought?” Nathan asked interested.


“A little,” Ginny said, drawing circles on the table with her finger. “I’ve been thinking about becoming a curse-breaker.”


“Oh,” Nathan said, leaning back in his chair.


“Oh?” Ginny asked, ready to defend her choice of careers.


“Oh, uh, like Bill?” Nathan stuttered, avoiding his mother’s eye.


Ginny nodded, flushing slightly. “I mean, I don’t know if I would want to work at Gringotts, but it sounds exciting and I’m good at charms. I can think on my feet. I’d get to travel.”


“I think you would be a natural,” Nathan smiled. “I knew a curse breaker once and she loved it. Have you talked to Harry about this?”


“A little. He’s going to finish Auror training, but to be honest, I think he’ll only do that until Voldemort is gone,” Ginny winced. “If it was up to me, I would suggest he become a teacher. He has done wonders with the DA. I just hope he does whatever makes him happy. He deserves that much.”


“That he does,” Catarina said softly.


Ginny nodded, her hands toying with her fork. “Catarina, when you bonded with your husband-“


“I never bonded with my husband,” Catarina said abruptly, her voice devoid of emotion.


“Oh,” Ginny said startled.


Ginny noticed Catarina meet her son’s eyes and then look down at the tea kettle she was holding in her hand. An uncomfortable silence fell in the kitchen. Ginny had never considered that Catarina’s bond was what Nathan had referred to when he said some bonds are not true love matches. Ginny wondered how she would feel if she was bonded to someone she wasn’t sure she would love for all time. Making the decision to do this had been so much easier because it was with Harry.


“The man I bonded with doesn’t exist anymore,” Catarina said quietly, replacing the tea kettle on the stove. Without looking back, Catarina crossed to the door and opened it. The screen slammed shut behind her as she walked down the front steps and across the garden.


“She’ll be fine,” Nathan said.


“Are you sure?” Ginny asked, anger creeping into her voice.


“Ginny, her bond was not one like yours,” Nathan explained.


“I gathered that,” Ginny said coldly.


“My mother has had to deal with that since she bonded. She will never forgive herself for what her bond forced her to do. It is one reason she is so particular about you learning to maintain autonomy in yours,” Nathan said. “It is her way of paying back some of what she believes she owes. It allows her to sleep at night.”


Ginny’s eyes widened. Exactly what had Catarina done because of her bond?


“The opportunity to teach you, Ginny,” Nathan said quietly, standing up, “has given her peace. Thank you.”


Ginny nodded, her brow furrowed.


“On that note, I need to go locate your young man. I am looking forward to seeing if some time off has brought him down anywhere near my level of dueling. If not,” Borgin teased, “I hope you packed your collection of remedies. I have a feeling, I may need them.”


Ginny smiled, as Borgin opened the screen door.


+++++


Catarina stood with her arms crossed across her chest looking out at the valley. Nathan walked up behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. Catarina lifted one of her hands and patted his hand. Looking over her shoulder, she smiled tentatively at him.


“It’s alright, Nathan,” she assured him. “I am quickly coming to the conclusion I am going to have to tell them sooner or later. The more I get to know them, the more I like them. They are bright and powerful and have the right to know.”


Nathan smiled and nodded. “I know what you mean.”


“So,” Catarina said, turning around and leaning against the stone wall. “Can you remember the spell.”


“I can. Are you going to tell me why?” Nathan asked.


“Because it sounds like something your father worked on.”


“It was.”


“Ah,” Catarina nodded slowly, holding up her hand to shield her eyes from the morning sun. “I do not want to muck this up by missing something.”


“I can understand that,” Nathan said. “I’ll jot it down. Where is your office?”


“Off the sitting room,” she replied, dropping her hand and smiling at him. “Thank you for coming, Nathan.”


Nathan leaned over to give her a second kiss on the cheek. “You’re welcome, Mother.”


“Professor Borgin?” Harry called from across the garden, swiping the sleeve of his shirt across his sweaty face.


“Harry, I’m pretty sure you can call me Nathan.”


Harry squinted at Nathan as he approached and nodded. “Alright, Nathan, what are you doing here?”


“He came for breakfast,” Ginny called from the porch, smiling.


“And to check up on you,” Nathan said, waving at Ginny. “I told you I was going to get into the dueling rotation. I swapped Tonks her day. She’ll be here later this week.”


Harry snorted. “Whatever happened to a holiday?”


“Holiday?” Nathan asked skeptically. “Who told you this was a holiday? You’ve got work to do.” Nathan clapped Harry on his shoulder. “Follow me, Harry. Let’s see how rusty I really am.”


Nathan steered Harry toward the back garden while Catarina pushed off the stone wall and turned back to the house. Ginny was standing on the front porch. Catarina smiled at her.


“Ginny, let’s get started.”


+++++


Harry stood on the rug just inside Catarina’s office. The first thought that had crossed his mind when he had opened the doors and stepped inside was how much Hermione would love this room. Seeing Nathan leaning over the desk, jotting something down, made him chuckle. Nathan looked very much at home in here, too.


“Back for more, Harry?”


Harry grinned. “No, I don’t think so. I won’t be responsible for Dumbledore needing to hire a new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor this year.”


Nathan chuckled. “Did you need something?”


“Well,” Harry said, a little embarrassed. “I need to replace Ginny’s birthday present.”


“Replace?” Nathan asked, straightening up.


“Yeah,” Harry answered. “I had been collecting spells and such for Ginny to memorize. The Ministry wouldn’t let her join in the dueling practices this summer claiming she’s too young. They didn’t say anything about her reading or memorizing spells, though, so…I had been collecting spells for her to learn since I got to the Burrow. Unfortunately, when I packed to come here, I forgot about them. I don’t know how long we’ll be here, but her birthday’s next week and I want to be able to give her something…” Harry’s voice trailed off.


“So you thought you would see if you could find something in here?” Nathan nodded, moving around to the front of the desk and resting his hip on it. “You know, Harry, I am not sure my mother is going to have a whole lot spell books that will help you. However, I remember, she had some interesting ones on practical magic,” he said standing up. Walking to the bookshelves, he scanned several shelves and pulled out a few volumes. Harry watched as he flipped through one in particular and slipped it back into its slot, leaving it sticking out just a touch. Nathan turned and smiled at Harry. “Well, good luck, Harry,” he said, patting Harry on the shoulder before opening the French doors to leave. “I’m sure Ginny will love the books and anything else you manage to find.”


Harry watched Borgin shut the doors before walking to the shelf and pulling out the book Borgin had left sticking out. Flipping through it, he noticed a torn piece of parchment tucked in a particular chapter. He read the title and frowned. Then, he read the title again and looked out the French doors to see if Nathan was watching, which he wasn’t. Reading the title a third time, Harry grinned. Closing the book, Harry placed it on the corner of the desk and went back to scanning the shelves, curious to find out exactly what Catarina had on her bookshelves.


As he walked around the room, he read the titles, chuckling at some, rolling his eyes at others. Catarina Borgin had an eclectic taste in books. Pulling one out, he almost dropped it in surprise. A muscle bound long haired blond bloke held a half-dressed swooning damsel whose chest looked like it was going to explode from the top of her dress. Blinking at the scantily clad couple several times, Harry felt his cheeks grown warm. Gingerly holding the edges of the book with his fingertips, Harry slid it back into its slot and moved on.


The next shelf down held books which Harry bet Nathan had copies of in his study, too. Ancient Magic — the Truth on the Walls. Blood — How to Go with the Flow. The Force is Within You — The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love. Curious, Harry pulled the last book out. He held it in his hands for a moment, studying the gold script writing on the front.


“Harry!”


Harry looked up at the sound of Ginny’s voice.


“Harry, where are you?”


Picking up the book he had laid on the corner of the desk, Harry tucked both books under his arm and opened the French doors.


++++


“Alright, I would like to try something. It’s rather early in the process, but I just have this feeling…” Catarina said, as she walked around Harry and Ginny. “Yes, well, sit down and face each other.”


Harry and Ginny did as instructed, crossing their legs, their knees touching. Ginny smiled encouragingly at Harry, who grinned back. The afternoon sun warmed their shoulders, the shadows striping the lawn.


“Now, place your hands palms together…yes, like that.”


Harry looked at Ginny and winked. Ginny bit her bottom lip to stop the giggle that threatened to escape.


“Now, close your eyes. Close your eyes, Harry! Yes, there,” Catarina continued, pacing around the pair. Kneeling down, so she was at eye level with their hands, she leaned toward them. “Ginny, I want you to concentrate on your joined hands. Ginny, you’re not concentrating,” she admonished as she saw Ginny’s cheek dimple.


“Sorry, Catarina,” Ginny said, straightening her face and swallowing.


“Concentrate, Ginny. The purpose of this is to see if you can connect with Harry. Blood Bonding is about connecting through touch. You need to be able to sense Harry’s blood flow through his touch.”


Harry snorted.


Catarina sighed. “Harry, you too. You must concentrate on letting Ginny connect with you. Now, take a deep breath and try again.”


Ginny and Harry breathed in and exhaled. Ginny tried to control the giggle escaping but couldn’t. Harry opened one of his eyes and grinned at Ginny trying so hard to control herself. Unfortunately, he found her giggles contagious and was soon chortling, too.


Catarina stood up. “Oh, forget it! You two are hopeless,” she said throwing her hands up in the air in frustration. “Go! Go away. Come back when you are prepared to work!”


Scrambling up, Harry and Ginny grinned at each other. Ginny, her eyes filled with mirth, tried to smile apologetically at Catarina and failed miserably, falling into another fit of giggles.


“Be back for dinner,” Catarina admonished, shaking her head at them. She watched them join hands and run past the stone wall, a trail of laughter in their wake.


“How are they doing?” Nathan asked from the front porch.


Catarina turned and smiled at him. “They are doing very well, very well indeed.”


+++++


“Do you get the feeling this is our place?” Ginny asked, as she lay back on the patch of grass they had visited yesterday.


“A side of a hill?” Harry asked skeptically. “For some reason, I had been hoping it would be somewhat more…exciting. Live a cave or a clearing in a forest.”


Ginny snorted. “I’ve seen enough forest clearings for a lifetime, thank you very much.”


“Oh, right,” Harry said, lying down next to her. “Sorry.”


Ginny rolled over on her side and propped her head up with her elbow. “Catarina said something interesting today over breakfast. We were talking about what I wanted to do with my life after Hogwarts.”


“What did you say?”


“I am going to have you wait on me hand and foot, catering to my every whim and desire,” she answered sarcastically. “No, I said I was thinking about becoming a curse breaker. Anyway, I started to ask her about when she bonded with her husband, if her life had changed much, and she told me she didn’t bond with her husband.”


“That makes sense,” Harry said, his eyes closed by the warm sun.


“What do you mean?” Ginny asked.


Propping himself up on his elbows, Harry opened his eyes. “Well, I said it before. It sounded strange that someone like her would be bonded to someone who was so focused on death. Who did she bond with?”


“I don’t know,” Ginny answered. “But Nathan said it wasn’t something she was proud of and she has been paying for it ever since.”


Harry thought about that for a moment. “Did she say if she was still bonded?”


“No,” Ginny said slowly. “But a bond is only broken through death. She said he doesn’t exist anymore. Maybe she meant the wizard she bonded with is dead now.”


Harry turned his head so he could see Catarina’s cottage, a plume of smoke rising from the chimney. He wanted to believe in Catarina and her son. His gut instinct told him they were good people. But it was hard to squelch the nagging questions in his mind.


“We should get back,” Ginny said.


Harry nodded. “I’ll ask Nathan.” Standing up, he brushed the grass off his jeans and reached out a hand to help Ginny up. Hand in hand, they started back to the cottage.


++++


Picking up a half empty mug of cold tea, Catarina slipped her hand under Chehalis’ stomach and lifted the cat off the desk. Startled, the cat scratched her hand, pushing off of Catarina’s stomach and leaping to the ground. Catarina lost her grip on her mug, cold tea splashing on her notes.


“Ahh!” Catarina exclaimed, shaking her hand from pain. “Damn cat!” she swore, as she pulled a hanky from her pocket and dabbed at the pooling tea. “Ow!” she exclaimed, as the tea and ink mixed with the blood beading up from the scratch at the base of her hand. Standing up, she sucked on the cut, mesmerized by the mixing of blue and black and red on the parchment. The mixing of blood. Reaching over, Catarina picked up the parchment Nathan had left folded on top of her desk. Unfolding it, she read the spell. She read it again.


Blood of the enemy and Blood of the enemy’s heart…


Catarina’s eyes widened. She whipped around to watch Harry and Ginny walking across the garden. Her breathing fast and hard, her mind raced, frantically denying her deduction. But she knew. It had to be. And that meant it was worse than she had imagined. Damn it. Damn it!


“Damn you,” she shouted to the ceiling, blinking back the tears. “Damn you!” she whispered, collapsing into her chair, her head in her hands.



++++


“Hey,” Ginny whispered, placing a kiss on the top of Harry’s head and she walked around the couch.


“Hey, yourself,” Harry replied, scooting over on the sofa and lifting up the quilt. Ginny crawled in next to him, propping her head up with her hand.


“What are you reading?”


Harry flipped the book over to show her the title.


The Force is Within You — The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love.,” Ginny read. “Homework?”


“No, not really,” Harry said, closing it and setting it on top of the back couch cushions. “Catarina said I could borrow something to read from her library.”


“Why this one?”


“All of this blood bonding got me thinking about my mother,” Harry said quietly, rubbing his forehead. “Dumbledore told me my mother’s love saved me from Voldemort when I was a baby. He said it was an old form of magic, ancient magic. I just thought maybe I could find out more about it.”


“What have you found out?”


“That two pages are about all I can read before I nod off. But those two pages are interesting. Just don’t tell Hermione I’m reading something like this on holiday. She’d never let me live it down!”


Ginny giggled as she lay her head on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry, did you think Catarina was acting funny at dinner?”


“Uh, well, she seemed a little tense, I guess. Why?”


“She seemed distracted, like she had lots on her mind.”


“Maybe she’s just concerned about the training,” Harry suggested.


“Yeah, maybe,” Ginny said unconvinced. “I just hope I didn’t offend her this morning.”


“She didn’t seem offended all day, Gin. I’d say, if she’s still off tomorrow, ask her what’s wrong.”


Ginny smiled at Harry and stretched up to brush her lips against his. “You’re a smart man,” she said.


Harry snorted. Ginny was tracing circles on his chest sending him into a state of relaxation that was making it impossible for him to muster the energy to form a coherent word. Ginny listened to his heart beat slow and his breathing become deep and even before slipping out from under the quilt and returning to her own bed.


++++


Catarina paced her bedroom waiting for the house to fall asleep. She had done her best to keep a calm façade during dinner, but she had seen Ginny looking at her strangely. That was the problem with Mediators, she mused, we’re a little too observant for our own good. Stopping to listen, she held her breath. A faint snoring could be heard from the living room. Straightening her shoulders, she cinched the ties of her bathrobe tighter and quietly made her way downstairs and through the kitchen.


Softly closing the screen door behind her, she nudged Nathan who had fallen asleep in the rocker.


“Huh — wha?” Nathan mumbled, as he sat up. “Mo - Mother, what time is it? Is something wrong?”


“Nathan, we need Dumbledore,” Catarina whispered urgently.


Nathan took one look at his mother’s face and nodded. He remembered seeing her eyes filled with the same fear and anger growing up. It was not an expression to take lightly. Leaning over the arm of the rocker, he retrieved his wand from the floor. Standing up, he walked to the edge of the porch and held his wand up to the night sky. Catarina paced behind him, her hands clenched at her side. Seconds later, the Headmaster of Hogwarts appeared at the bottom of her porch steps.


“Good evening, Nathan,” Dumbledore said mildly. “Catarina.”


Nathan had never seen the Headmaster in his robe and pajamas before. For some reason, he supposed, he had always assumed Dumbledore too far above basic human needs such as sleep. But as the Headmaster climbed the steps, Nathan noticed the light flannel robe Dumbledore wore was embroidered with various celestial bodies all wearing kerchiefs and snoring.


“What may I do for you this evening?”



Catarina stopped pacing and took a deep breath to steady her nerves. “Albus,” she said clearly but quietly. “I read the immortality spell that Lucius Malfoy attempted to perform.”


Dumbledore nodded.


“Do you know what this means?”


“I suspected.”


Nathan stood staring at them, his brow furrowed, his mind racing. His eyes traveled to his mother’s hands. As a child, he had often witnessed his mother rubbing the fleshy part of her palm, right below her thumb, when she was stressed. He hadn’t thought much about it then, but watching her fingers press into the scar that marred her hand, he suddenly felt nauseous.


“What do we do?” she whispered.


“When will Ginny be ready?” Dumbledore asked.


“Albus, you know this process takes time”


“We don’t have time, Catarina,” the Headmaster replied.


Catarina blinked the tears forming at the corners of her eyes away. “A week, maybe,” she said quietly. “More likely two. But only for the bonding. The rest will have to come later. She won’t be strong enough. If we push her too quickly, she could damage herself - and Harry.”


Dumbledore nodded. “Two weeks, then.” Turning around, Dumbledore was gone.


Nathan and Catarina looked at one another, their eyes mirroring the fear that flowed through each of them. Tears coursing freely down her cheeks, Catarina took a step toward her son who enveloped her in his arms. Resting his cheek on the side of his mother’s head, Nathan gazed into the window of the kitchen, his eyes resting on the back of the overstuffed, olive green sofa.



++++


A/N — So yesterday, my son emerged from his room and announced in a loud, off tune voice, "I'M SIX!" Yes, big things happening in our house this week. I'm not sure who had more fun, though, with this birthday, my son or my husband who I regretfully let go to ToysRUs unsupervised to purchased a much wanted Star Wars ship. And I knew better!

This chapter was a strange one to write and I'm not totally happy with it. I felt it was choppy as it tried to push the story forward. But after reading it way too many times, I threw in the towel. Some chapters are like that, I guess.


As always thanks to my family for indulging me and my hobby.

Thanks to wvchemteach for the ideas and input.

Next Chapter…Ginny’s Birthday
Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear