Search:

SIYE Time:18:08 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Blood of the Heart
By kjpzak

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Buried Gems
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 411
Summary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Hitcount: Story Total: 189775; Chapter Total: 8037







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Disclaimer — I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.





Apparations




Stewart patted his jacket. He pulled his trouser pockets inside out. He turned around in a circle, searching the ground.


“Merlin’s beard!” he exclaimed, frustrated.


Leaning over to pick up the two cauldrons full of parcels he had set on the curb, Stewart scrunched his eyes shut and searched his mind. He knew he had one more errand to run, but for the life of him, he couldn’t remember what it was. He had even written them down before leaving the shop so he would be sure to remember everything. But now, the list was lost. Furrowing his brow, he mentally ticked off the tasks he had completed.


He had picked up the new catalogues from Whizzhard Books.


He wasn’t about to ask what was in the parcel he had been handed at Eeylops Owl Emporium.


He had bought the new ink at the Scribbulus Everchanging Inks.


And obviously, he had remembered the two new cauldrons.


Stewart sighed and opened his eyes. Maybe he dropped it when he stopped for an ice cream? No, he had been back to Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor twice and no one had seen it.


Shoulders slumped in defeat, Stewart picked up the cauldrons and headed toward number 93 Diagon Alley, Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Setting one of the cauldrons down, he grasped the door handle and pushed the door open. As a blizzard of snowflakes blasted him with cool air, he heard Fred’s voice shout from the storeroom:


“Siren’s Silencing Smoke Powder?”


Stewart stopped, dropping his head to his chest. “Right!” he said to the floor. “Be right back!” he called to the storeroom before entering the August heat once more.


Lucius Malfoy stood across the street and watched as the twins’ shop clerk headed toward the apothecary’s. He pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket and smirked. The errand list on the outside meant little. The information inside, though, was going to mean a great deal to the right person.



++++



In her entire life, Ginny couldn’t ever remember feeling more emotionally or physically drained. Every part of her screamed for relief. Her mind was numb, her body ached and she desperately wanted to go to sleep. Sitting at the table, her head slowly lowered over her dinner plate as her eyes drooped. The scrape of Catarina’s chair as she stood jerked Ginny out of her stupor. Sitting up straight, Ginny blinked several times trying to bring her plate into focus. Realizing it was a lost cause, she set her fork down and pushed her plate away.


“You okay, Gin?” Harry asked concerned.


“Yeah. I’m just tired,” she admitted.


Standing at the sink, Catarina looked over her shoulder. Nathan had returned to London several days ago. Other Order members had come and gone, keeping Harry busy with dueling practice and checking up on Ginny’s progress. This morning, Tonks had winked at Ginny and mentioned she might be expecting a surprise for her birthday in a couple of days. Ginny had responded with a smile and an exhausted nod. Catarina knew she was pushing Ginny, but she had no choice.


“You two, why don’t you go sit on the porch for a bit? I’ll do the dishes,” she offered.


Ginny smiled gratefully at her and stood up. Harry pushed back his chair and picked up his and Ginny’s plates and took them to the sink.


“I’ll meet you out there,” he said to Ginny as she opened the screen door.


Stepping into the night air, Ginny closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The smells of summer mingled with the dinner aromas that had floated out into the night. Opening her eyes, Ginny moved to the top porch step and sat down, leaning her shoulder against the railing, thinking about the past few days.


As Catarina had promised, the first part of Ginny’s training centered on her. Ginny had spent hours focusing on her heartbeat, learning its rhythm, concentrating on its power. She learned how it raced when Harry was near and how she could calm it even in his presence. Catarina poked and pushed her consciousness teaching her how to protect herself. Ginny had begun to truly appreciate Harry’s Occlumency struggles and abilities. And just when she was truly comfortable with her own abilities to protect herself, Catarina began teaching her how to open up, only on her terms and then only to Harry. Out of curiosity, Ginny had asked what would happen if she tried to do this with someone besides Harry. Catarina simply told her that would never happen and refused to say anymore.


The bonding itself was similar to weaving a tapestry of life. Ginny’s mind was aching from the struggle to focus on the ribbons of her blood that she would weave into, around and about Harry. It taken hours for her to get past her self-consciousness as she sat in the sitting room, eyes closed, pleading with her mind to see what Catarina promised was there. When Ginny had thrown her hands up in frustration and screamed, Catarina smiled and told her to try again. Ginny had scowled at her mentor, closed her eyes and exhaled. Almost immediately, as if she had opened a flood gate, colors began to dance in front of her eyes. Ginny had fallen back in surprise, blinking in awe at Catarina who had laughed and clapped her hands together before making Ginny do it again. At first, the colors melded together as if they were a child’s finger painting. Then, slowly, they began to form lines. They were weak, translucent and broke easily. But, much to her surprise and delight, the more Ginny focused, the stronger, more resilient they became. Now, Ginny could feel the ties all the time, waving and blowing, searching for their ends.


Ginny’s eyes fluttered shut again, the rainbow of color that was never far from her mind floating before her. Seconds later, Harry sat down next to her, the screen door slamming behind him.


“Harry!” Catarina admonished from inside.


“Sorry, Catarina!” Harry grinned. Putting his arm around Ginny’s shoulder, he pulled her to lean against him, instead of the wooden rail. Sighing, Ginny relaxed against his warmth.


“Hey, Gin?”


“Mmmmm?”


“I’m really proud of you,” Harry said softly, placing a kiss on the top of her head.


“Thanks,” Ginny said, her eyes beginning close.


“I have something for you,” Harry said, reaching behind him.


Ginny sat up, let out a yawn and blinked in confusion. “Why?”


“Well,” Harry said, smiling at Ginny’s fuzziness. “Your birthday is coming up.”


“Harry, you didn’t need to get me anything!”


“Yeah, well,” Harry said, “it’s a good thing you feel that way because I left your present at the Burrow.”


Ginny smiled sleepily through the headache that was beginning to form across her forehead from lack of sleep.


“But I wanted you to know I didn’t forget it.” His cheeks growing warm, Harry cleared his throat. “And you’ve been working so hard this week. So - here. This is just until we get back and I can give you the rest.”


Harry held out a brown wrapped rectangular parcel. Ginny bit her bottom lip and took it from him. She held it for a minute, her sleep clouded brain trying to get a handle on what Harry was wanting her to do with it.


“It’s okay to open it, Ginny,” Harry urged.


“Right,” Ginny said, turning it over and slipping her fingers under the edge of the paper. Tearing the wrapping off, Ginny gazed down at one of the books Harry had borrowed from Catarina’s office, Practical Magic for Practical Witches and Wizards — A Guide to Homeschooling the Basics. Ginny looked up at Harry confused, not sure if she should laugh or cry.


“Open it to the bookmark,” Harry urged.


Ginny opened the book to the marked page and read the title. She read the title again and furrowed her brow. Placing her finger on the chapter title, she underlined it as she read it a third time.


Apparation for the Legal Aged Witch or Wizard — A ‘How To’ Guide. Harry, I’m not of legal age. Even on my birthday I won’t be of legal age,” Ginny said.


“I know,” Harry said. “But I asked Nathan about the wards around Catarina’s cottage. He said these wards are special. One of their features is they shield underage magic from the Ministry’s eyes. Haven’t you noticed how you’ve been able to do the charms Catarina has asked and no owls have arrived telling you, you’re not allowed?” Harry asked grinning.


Ginny blinked at him several times and nodded slowly. “So, you’re going to teach me how to Apparate?”


“Well, if you want,” Harry said, a little put off by Ginny’s lack of enthusiasm.


As Ginny let Harry’s words soak in, a smile began to spread over her features. She repeated, “You’re going to teach me how to Apparate!” Giggling, Ginny launched herself at Harry and hugged him tight.


“I take it you like the idea?”


“I love it!” Ginny said, placing an enthusiastic kiss on his cheek. “I love it! I love you!”


“I love you, too, Ginny,” Harry said, his heart light as a feather. “Happy Birthday.”



++++



Lucius stood in front of his master’s desk, his hands resting lightly on top of his ivory handled cane. As he had dressed for this meeting, he thought his good mood called for such a show of status. Now, watching his master peer over a passage in the slim volume he had pilfered from Nathan Borgin’s desk the previous week, he was glad he had something to keep him in his place. The Dark Lord never used to make him nervous. But then, in better times, Lucius reflected, he had always known where he stood with Lord Voldemort. These days, he wasn’t so sure.


“Blood Bonding,” Voldemort hissed, looking up from the book. “Lucius, do you know what a Blood Bonding is?”


“I have read the passage, My Lord,” Lucius answered.


“This passage does not do Blood Bonding justice,” Voldmort sneered. Flipping the book over, the Dark Lord ran his unnaturally long fingers down the spine before placing it next to the piece of parchment Lucius had also given him. The parchment was a letter from a son to a mother; more specifically, a plea for help from Nathan Borgin to his mother Catarina. The bone chilling sound that came from Voldemort’s throat took a few minutes to register with Lucius. The Dark Lord was laughing.


“Lucius, you have done well this time,” Voldemort hissed. “Very well.”



++++++




Ginny sat on a rock facing Harry, trying her best not to smile. Harry was pacing back and forth in front of her, explaining to her the basic steps of Apparating. She loved that Harry became so enthusiastic about teaching things like this. She could see it in his eyes. He wanted her to learn what he knew, but more importantly, he wanted her to succeed. It was very intoxicating to watch.


A good night’s sleep had restored her spirits and brain power to normal levels. After a morning of meditation type work with Catarina, she and Harry had been sent off with a picnic lunch for an hour while Catarina popped to the shops. Ginny reached down for a sandwich and glanced back at the cottage. Lupin sat in the rocking chair, his feet propped up on the railing, a plate in his lap. Ginny gave him a little wave. Lupin waved back.


“Ginny! Are you listening at all to what I’ve just said?”


Startled, Ginny jumped and turned her attention back to Harry. “Yes, I’m listening,” she said, taking a bit of sandwich and winking at him.


“Repeat what I just said.”


“Apparating is serious business.”


“Lucky guess.”


Ginny grinned at him and took another bite. Over the course of watching her six older brothers learn to Apparate, Ginny had pretty much picked up the book details. It was the practical part she was glad to have Harry here for.


“So, any questions?” Harry asked.


Ginny shook her head. “No, but I think we should wait until Lupin goes inside. I don’t want to get Professor Borgin in trouble for suggesting this.”


Harry shrugged his shoulders and leaned against the rock Ginny was perched on, grabbing a sandwich from the basket at her feet.


“You knew all of that, didn’t you?” he asked before taking a bite.


“No — well, not all of it,” Ginny answered, covering the smile that threatened to escape behind her napkin.


“You are an awful liar, Ginny.”


Ginny placed her hand on Harry’s shoulder and rested her chin on it. “Harry, I may have known some of the book parts, but it’s the practical part you can teach me. And look - Lupin has just gone inside.”


Pushing off the rock, Ginny brushed off her shorts and stood in front of Harry. “Okay, what do I do?”


“Concentrate and take it one step at a time.”



++++



Afternoon sun cast rainbows across the floor in Catarina’s study. Upon returning from her shopping, Catarina had sent Harry off with Lupin and led Ginny into her sanctuary. Motioning for Ginny to take a seat, Catarina walked to the bookshelves and carefully removed the rosewood box from its spot, polishing the top with her sleeve. Carrying it to her desk, she set it down in front of Ginny who looked at her expectantly.


”Ginny, this was my mother’s. She passed it onto me. I am now passing it onto you. It is now yours to pass onto your daughter or your apprentice when the time comes.”


Reaching behind her neck, Catarina undid the clasp of the silver chain she wore. Pulling it around to her front, Catarina picked up Ginny’s hand, turned it palm up, and dropped the chain into it. As she studied it, Ginny could feel the warmth of the chain against her skin. It was simple yet sturdy, made of interlinked polished ovals. In the middle, a small silver key hung. Picking up the key, Ginny looked questioningly at Catarina who nodded.


Ginny leaned forward and inserted the key into the lock. She turned it and the lock clicked, releasing the lid. Ginny gently lifted it and looked inside. Nestled in lush green velvet was a small dagger. It was as solid and simple as the chain and key. Even polished, Ginny knew this blade would never sparkle. While an heirloom and treasure, this was a utilitarian tool designed for one purpose.


“This is the blade,” Ginny said respectfully.


“This is the blade,” Catarina affirmed, nodding.


“Where did it come from?”


“Blades are made to suit the Mediator,” Catarina explained, running her fingers along the hilt of the dagger. “My grandfather crafted this for my grandmother before they were bonded. Most Mediators in a family tend to have similar characteristics, so often times the blades are handed down generation to generation. My mother used this one, as well.”


“Did you?” Ginny asked hesitantly.


“No, I did not,” Catarina replied, folding her arms over her chest. “But it would please me very much if you would consider using it in yours.”


Ginny held Catarina’s gaze. She could read the hesitation in her mentor’s eyes and knew Catarina was not ready yet to share any more about her bond. Respecting that, Ginny nodded.


“It would be an honor,” she answered softly.



++++



Ginny’s eyes kept traveling from her notes to the rosewood box sitting on the small writing desk in her bedroom. The gift of something so steeped in history awed her. Her heart strings pulled a little thinking how Catarina never had a daughter she could bequeath the blade to. Catarina trusted her to continue on her family’s magical history, and Ginny hoped she would not let her down. Tucking her feet beneath her, Ginny redirected her gaze to her notes and attempted to read the same line she had read three times already, again.


“Hey, Gin?” Harry asked, pushing the door open and looking into the room.


“Hi,” Ginny replied, closing her notes with a relieved smile.


“What are you doing?” Harry asked, sitting down beside her on the bed and looking over her shoulder.


“Trying to read, but miserably failing,” she admitted.


“Too tired?”


“No, I’m fine. I just keep looking at this. Here,” she said, handing her notes to Harry. Stretching her arm out, Ginny reached for the rosewood box and brought it back to her lap. Pulling the silver chain out from under her shirt, Ginny unlocked the box with the key and lifted the lid.


Harry leaned over to take a closer look. “Is that what I think it is?” Harry asked.


“Uh — huh,” Ginny answered. “It was Catarina’s grandmother’s. I’m to pass it onto my daughter, if — if she’s a Mediator,” Ginny finished, blushing.


Harry snorted. “Remind me to threaten whoever bonds with our daughter that I’ll be cutting his palm if he’s not careful.”


“Harry!” Ginny said slapping him in the stomach.


Harry’s laugh faded as he thought about what Ginny said. “Seriously, Gin, would you want your daughter to go through this?”


“With the right person, I think this is an amazing gift to give someone,” Ginny answered honestly, picking up her notes again. “With the wrong person, I can’t even imagine.”


“See, I told you, you are a lucky girl,” Harry answered, leaning back on the bed, his hands behind his head.


Ginny looked at him over the top of her notes. “You know, Harry, as you have pointed out, these wards that protect us, allow me to perform magic with no repercussions…”


Harry opened his mouth to reply but closed it again when the screen door slammed shut.


“Ronald! Gently!”


Ginny looked questioningly at Harry. “Hermione?”


Harry shrugged.


“What? My hands are full!”


Ginny pushed herself off the bed and stuck her head out the door. “Ron? Hermione?”


“Oh! Ginny,” Hermione exclaimed, launching herself toward her friend. “Happy birthday!”


“Yeah, happy birthday, Gin,” Ron smiled, coming up behind.


“What are you two doing here?” Ginny asked as Hermione released her.


“We wanted to be here to celebrate your birthday,” Hermione replied.


“Really!” Ginny answered enthusiastically, looking at Ron who had his hands in his pockets, his eyes focused on the edge of the kitchen table where Ginny had laid her notes. “Did anyone come with you?”


“Bill and Professor Borgin. They’re outside talking to Catarina. Where’s Harry?” Hermione asked.


“I’m here,” Harry said, having come out of Ginny’s room to stand at the far end of the table.


“Harry!” Hermione took a step toward him, but stopped when Ron placed a hand on her arm and cleared his throat.


“Harry, Ginny,” Ron started, and paused.


Ginny stepped over to Ron and smiled up at him, before hugging him tightly. “It’s alright, Ron,” Ginny murmured into his shirt. Ron stood still for a minute, surprised and yet not surprised by the easy way his sister forgave him, then wrapped his arms around her and squeezed tight. Releasing her, he turned to Harry.


“Harry, I’m —“


“You’re here because you thought I might need some dueling practice?” Harry interrupted.


Ron grinned gratefully. “Yeah,” he said, “I didn’t want you getting rusty.”


“Thanks,” Harry grinned.


“No,” Ron said quietly, “thank you.”


“Come on,” Harry said, slapping Ron on the shoulder. Nodding his head toward Hermione who was already drilling Ginny on her notes, he steered Ron toward the front porch. “I’ll give you a tour.”


“Right behind you, mate,” Ron said, following Harry out the door.



++++



Catarina’s kitchen bustled with good humor the morning of August 11th. The previous evening, Catarina had been on a mission to make sure Ginny’s birthday was celebrated in a style befitting her apprentice. During dinner, Nathan had leaned over to Harry and whispered something regarding Ginny being a good sport about letting his mother treat her like the daughter she never had, and Harry had grinned. He knew Ginny missed her brothers and parents, and he was pleased to see Catarina was trying her best to make it as special as possible.


Harry hadn’t realized there was a root cellar under the cottage until Catarina had sent him and Ron down there multiple times last night for odds and ends to make the day festive. A brightly colored table cloth now hid the scarred wooden kitchen table, cardboard hats sat at each place, and colored lanterns were strung across the ceiling. Ginny sat down at the place of honor and put on her pink cardboard bonnet.


“Come on, Bill, you’ll look smashing in this one,” Catarina claimed, plopping his purple crown on top of his head.


Ron snorted as the paper hat slid over Bill’s eyes.


“I wouldn’t laugh too loudly, Ron,” Catarina commented as she lifted Ron’s hat onto his head.


Bill lifted his hat over his eye lids and grinned at his little brother. Catarina had given Ron a Jester’s hat, a small jingle bell dangling from each cardboard corner.


Harry picked up his black top hat, and placed it on his head. “What do you think?” he asked Ginny.


“You look dashing,” she said, leaning over to give him a smiling kiss.


“Not at the breakfast table!” Bill said, throwing his napkin in their direction.


Ginny giggled as Harry picked up the napkin and held it in front of them as a curtain, blocking him and Ginny from view.


“Here, Hermione, put this on,” Ron said, handing over a pale pink cone hat a princess would wear.


“Just call me Cinderella,” Hermione smiled.


“Cinde — who?” Ron asked puzzled.


Tossing the napkin back to Bill, Harry snorted. “I am not calling him Prince Charming.”


“No, but I will,” Hermione said, leaning over to kiss Ron on the cheek.


“I think I’m going to be sick,” Bill said. “Nathan, save me!”


Nathan sat down next to Bill and grinned. On his head was perched a black cardboard constable’s hat. “Unfortunately, Bill, this hat gives me no authority over teenagers in love. It merely guarantees me a seat at the breakfast table.”


“I knew I should have made mum come along!” Bill shook his head in mock dejection. “Catarina?” he said hopefully.


“Don’t look at me,” Catarina said, winking at Ginny. “You forget that it serves my purposes to have lots of love in the house.”


Bill groaned and then joined in the laughter, reaching for a plate of bacon and passing it to his left.



+++



“Argh!” Ginny growled. Flopping down on the ground, Ginny clenched her hands in her hair in frustration. “It’s my birthday! That should mean this would work!” she complained to her knees. “I’m never going to get this.”


“Yes, you will,” Harry assured her, sitting down next to her.


Letting her hair go, Ginny looked desperately up at Harry. “How can you be sure? So far, I’ve managed to Apparate to the same spot I was standing in and no further. Pop! I’m gone. Pop! I’m right back where I was. No movement. Not even a centimeter.”


“You’ll get this. You’ve just got a lot on your mind right now and you’ve only been practicing a couple of days.”


“Harry! I don’t know. Maybe I just can’t.”


“No, Ginny, you can do this. You just need to concentrate.”


“I am concentrating,” Ginny ground out.


“Okay, okay. Here, hold my hands.” Harry stood up, brushing the grass off his jeans and held out his hands to pull Ginny up.


“What?”


“Hold my hands. It’s what Catarina has us doing. It might help you focus.”


Ginny wrinkled her nose at Harry, but grabbed his hands and let him pull her up. Compared to the Blood Bonding, this should be simple. But for some reason, Apparating wasn’t coming easily to her. Weaving her fingers into Harry’s, Ginny rested her forehead on Harry’s chest and closed her eyes.


“Right,” Harry commented. The fresh, clean scent of Ginny’s hair wafted up to him. Harry closed his eyes. Over the past few days, they had been working so hard, they had had little time together. Harry missed her. Harry smiled into her hair. Now, he realized, he was the one having problems concentrating. “Alright, take a breath and think of the tree on the far side of the porch.”


Ginny inhaled and focused. A perfect picture of the tree in full summer splendor appeared in her mind. She could see the wrinkles in the bark, the veins in the leaves. She felt the breeze blowing the smaller limbs and heard the beeping of a car horn.


Ginny’s eyes flew open. “Harry?” she squeaked.


Harry watched the blue hatchback turn the corner behind Ginny. A shadow flirted with the sun warming their shoulders. Looking up, Harry realized they were standing under a tree, the same kind of tree that was at the far side of the porch, but the porch was now where in sight.


“What happened?” Ginny whispered.


“I don’t know,” Harry answered, looking down the street at the rows of shops that lined each side. “We must be in town.”


“Oh, bloody hell!” Ginny said, tears welling up in her eyes. “It’s all my stupid fault!”


“Ginny! You don’t know that,” Harry argued, a little annoyed at Ginny’s whining.


Ginny gasped. “Harry, Catarina said the wards were in place within visual range of the cottage. We aren’t protected out here.”


“Oh, right,” Harry replied, thinking. “Look, let’s try it again. This time concentrate on the front porch of the cottage, alright?”


Ginny took a shaky breath and nodded. Closing her eyes again, she pictured the front porch, the three front steps, the pot of pink and white petunias by the front door, the pine green paint on the screen door.


“Ahhh!”


Ginny’s eyes flew open. They were standing on the porch in front of the screen door. Ron, standing on the other side of the door, looked like he had seen a ghost. Or two.


“Wha — wh — where did you two come — did you just Apparate?” Ron sputtered.


Ginny let go of one of Harry’s hands and wiped off the tears that had escaped from her eyes. Smiling at Harry, she nodded.


“Yeah. Yeah, we did,” she said, giggling.



++++



“You Apparated into town?” Nathan clarified.


“Yeah,” Harry said.


“Huh,” Nathan commented, folding his arms across his chest as he leaned against the edge of Catarina’s desk. “Well, my guess is that when you joined hands, your powers magnified each other - in an odd way.”


“Odd way?” Ginny asked.


“Yes,” Nathan nodded. “I’m guessing that Harry’s mastery of Apparation fostered your growing abilities. You were probably both concentrating on your planned Apparation point. Had you fully mastered the ability, Ginny, there’s no telling what tree you would have ended up under.”


“What does that mean?” Ginny asked.


“Well, I would say that means, you shouldn’t hold hands while Apparating. Unless of course, you’re wishing to end up overseas,” Nathan chuckled.



++++



“So,” Ron asked, learning back against the porch railing, stretching his legs out in front of him. “What do you do for fun here in the evenings?”


“Ron!” Hermione admonished, looking apologetically at Catarina.


“That’s alright, Hermione,” Catarina smiled and patter her on the shoulder. “I fully realize my home is not the most exciting place for young people. What do you like to do, Ron?”


“Uh, well, I play a fair game of Wizards Chess,” Ron said hopefully.


“Really?” Catarina said. “I may still have an old set in the cellar. Would you like to go look for it?”


“Yeah!” Ron said enthusiastically.


“We’ll be right back then,” Catarina commented to Harry, Ginny and Hermione who were all on the porch reading.


Hermione watched Ron and Catarina walk around the corner of the cottage. Adjusting her position on the porch steps, she looked up at Harry and Ginny. When Ron had told her about Harry teaching Ginny how to Apparate, her first instinct was to give him a piece of her mind for doing something unlawful. Seeing her wind up, Ron had quickly commented that he was proud of Harry for being so concerned for Ginny’s safety. Hermione had stood there, her mouth opening and closing like a fish, until Ron had leaned forward and kissed her, completely throwing her off track. Now, watching her two friends, she realized deep down, she really thought Harry’s gesture rather romantic, but still illegal. Lost in her thoughts, it took a moment to register what Harry was doing.


“Harry? Are you reading?”


Harry looked up from his book. “Yes, Hermione, I can read.”


“Funny, Harry. What are you reading?” she asked curious.


The Force is Within You — The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love.


Hermione looked at him surprised. “Really?” Hermione stood up and moved over to look over Harry’s shoulder. “Why?”


Harry sighed. “Well, it caught my eye.”


“Is it good?”


Harry scooted to his side as Hermione eagerly planted herself next to him on the porch. His annoyance at being interrupted was quickly being replaced with amusement over Hermione enthusiasm.


“Yeah, actually,” he said. “It has me thinking about my mum.”


“Here, can I see?” Hermione asked as she reached over and took the book out of Harry’s hands. “Why do you say that?”


Harry looked at his empty hands and then up at Ginny who glanced over her notes and shrugged her shoulders.


“Dumbledore said the magic my mother invoked to protect me was old magic, blood magic, not seen in years. All this Blood Bonding business made me start thinking about where my mum would have learned about it,” Harry explained, an embarrassed flush creeping up his neck.


“Huh,” Hermione said, tracing her finger down the page. “It says here all children are bonded with their mothers due to the blood they share while the child is in the womb.”


Ginny set down her notes and leaned forward. “That makes it sound like the bond between a mother and child would have similar properties as a Mediated bond.”


“What do you mean?” Hermione asked.


“Well, the comfort, the balance, the ability to sooth and even heal and protect. A blood bond is unbreakable, much like the ties between a mother and child.”


Hermione nodded slowly. “I wonder if that was why she was able to protect you, Harry. In fact, I wonder if your mother knew that and was trying to figure out a way to protect your whole family…if that was the case, it might mean she probably had done some research.”


“I was thinking that, too,” Harry replied, grinning at Hermione’s expressions. Harry could tell she was a having a hard time deciding if she was shocked or impressed. “I thought I would check with Remus when I got back. Maybe he would know where mum might have left something like that.”


Hermione looked between Harry and Ginny. “I am very proud of both of you,” she said smiling widely.


Ginny flushed. Harry grinned and replied, “Thanks, Hermione. That means a lot.”



++++



Draco Malfoy tapped the toe of his polished shoe impatiently. He had passed his Apparation test over twenty minutes ago. All the Ministry had to do was record his name and hand him his license. How long could that take?


After the debacle at school the end of last term, Narcissa had insisted on sending Draco to Europe for the summer. He had spent two months touring the most famous magical catacombs in Europe. The part of him that had looked forward to being surrounded by living, breathing human beings again had long since been buried under the distaste for their inferiority and stupidity.


Passing his Apparation test was the last thing on his list of things to do before he could enjoy the remaining weeks before making his final journey to school on the Hogwarts Express. He had attempted to talk his parents into letting him Apparate to Hogsmeade to avoid the tedious train ride with all the other students. His mother, however, had told him as a Prefect, it was his duty to be an example to the new students.


Pointing his his wand at the rubbish bin sitting by the end of the desk, Malfoy knocked the bin over. Crumpled parchment tumbled out onto the floor. Malfoy’s lip curled as he watched the wads roll. He hadn’t even been able to talk his parents into buying him the newest showcased broom, The Lightening Rod, at Quality Quidditch Supply. His father had informed him that if he couldn’t win on the broom he had, why did he deserve a new one? His father knew nothing.


Leaning down, Malfoy scooped up one of the wads of parchment. Pointing his wand at it, he lit it on fire, watching the flames flicker as he dropped it onto the floor, leaving a scorch mark where it lay. Bending over again, he scooped up a larger wad. Realizing it was a sheet of parchment with a coversheet, he pulled them apart. Dropping the coversheet to the ground, Malfoy held up the other by the corner. He held his wand tip to the opposite corner. Glancing at it quickly, he noticed it was the beginning of a letter. The writer had obviously changed his or her mind about sending it because there was a big X crossing out the script. Draco opened his mouth to speak the charm that would light the paper on fire as his eyes focused on the first several lines…


Dear Ms. Weasley

It has come to the attention of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement that you illegally performed magic, namely an exercise of Apparation, at 4:06pm this afternoon….



Draco lowered his wand. Stooping down, he picked up the discarded parchment and turned it over. His lip curled in a malicious smile as he read the front.


That Lightening Rod was his. He was certain of it.



++++



Lucius propped his elbows on his desk and tented his hands. Tapping his fingertips together, he contemplated the letter in front of him. The Dark Lord wanted him to find the Borgin witch. According to Voldemort, her knowledge was worth more than he could imagine. What was it with this family and their knowledge? Lucius seethed as he remember how Nathan Borgin taunted him.


“The rubbish I teach is what did that to you…Think of what that kind of power could do in the right hands…”


Yes, he would give the Dark Lord the woman and her research. But now, he could do better. He could give Lord Voldemort Harry Potter and that little red headed Weasley chit, too. Leaning back in his chair, Lucius Malfoy gazed around his study. The power was returning to this room.


Standing up, Lucius leaned his palms against his desk. Throwing his head back, a cold heartless sound of evil joy emitted from his throat. Walking around his desk, he crossed to the fireplace, his reflection leering back at him from the gilded mirror above the mantle. Raising his hand to his cheek, Lucius felt the scars that marred his face.


She did this to me.


Lucius shook his head to clear it. He needed to tell his master.


She ruined me. She and Potter. They humiliated me.


His hands shaking, he returned to his desk and picked up the parchment. Folding it, he turned to the door.


They deserved to die.



He stopped in front of the fireplace. Almost involuntarily, his hands came together, crumpling the parchment between them.


You deserve to be the one to kill them.


The door to the study closed behind Lucius as the parchment became engulfed in flames.



+++++



A/N — You know you're a mom when the only thing you can find to write with in your desk is a carnation pink Crayola crayon. Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow crayon writers!


Thanks to my betas — wvchemteach for his perseverance and patience and kissmegrint for her brilliant job on the next chapter and those forthcoming.



Speaking of the next chapter…well, it’s a doozy. Let’s leave it at that.
Reviews 411
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear