Search:

SIYE Time:8:04 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


From The Ashes
By eMeRaLdfountainz

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:All
Genres: Angst, Fluff
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: G
Reviews: 14
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2003 ***

When one door closes in life, another one always opens. Depressed over the death of his godfather, Harry finds that Ginny is more than the shy, stammering girl he once knew. Ginny is confused and torn, not wanting to have her heart broken again. Through all the pain, will something new and wondrous rise from the ashes?

Hitcount: Story Total: 2884







ChapterPrinter


Title- From the Ashes.
Set- Post OOTP.
Spoilers-OOTP.
Genre-Romance/Angst .
Ship-H/G, R/Hr.
Summary- When one door closes in life, another one always opens. Depressed over the death of his godfather, Harry finds that Ginny is more than the shy, stammering girl he once knew. Ginny is confused and torn, not wanting to have her heart broken again. Through all the pain, will something new and wondrous rise from the ashes?
_________________________________ ________________________________________ _____

Harry Potter lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling, lost in his usual sea of thoughts. Memories he wished he didn’t have, a destiny he wished he wasn’t meant for, and a thorough bitterness engulfed him in grief. He’d done nothing but brood since he returned to Privet Drive from Hogwarts at the beginning of the summer holidays. Harry was a mess; he hadn’t eaten or bathed in days, not caring one bit that he was beginning to look more like a corpse than a living person. He had nightmares often, depriving him of any little sleep he might have achieved. He’d received plenty of letters from his two best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, as well as the game keeper at Hogwarts, Hagrid. Their letters were full of sympathy and offers to ‘talk if you need to,’ but Harry had found himself strangely empty and unable to think of any reply except for,

“No, I’m fine. See you in September.”

He knew it had to be disappointing and frustrating for his friends to read this time and time again, but he couldn’t think of anything else to say. What was he supposed to tell them, that he couldn’t stop blaming himself for Sirius’s death? He knew what they’d say, cooing and assuring him that it wasn’t true, that it wasn’t his fault at all. Harry didn’t want to hear that, he knew it wouldn’t help. He didn’t know what would.

A flutter at his window distracted him from his thoughts.

“Hullo, Hedwig,” he said heavily, treading over to the window and opening it for his owl. She flew in, extending her leg, weighed down with multiple letters. He untied his post, examining each letter to determine who had written it. One from Ron, one form Hermione, and one from Dumbledore. He opened Ron’s first, knowing well what it would say.

Harry-

Dumbledore’s given permission for you to come to the Burrow! I hope you’re okay and not worrying too much over...well, you know. See you when we pick you up by Floo tomorrow at 4:00!

-Ron

Harry heaved a heavy sigh. He wanted to see his friends again, but he wasn’t sure things would be the same between them anymore. He knew he’d feel guilty having fun with Sirius dead. He opened Hermione’s letter, expecting something similar.

Dear Harry,
Ron told me you’ll be at the Burrow soon! It’ll be wonderful to see you; things aren’t the same without you here. I do hope that you’re keeping your spirits up, and that if you aren’t coming to the Burrow will fix that. I can’t wait to see you, and all the Weasleys send their love!

-Hermione

This was one small piece of solace in Harry’s grief. The Weasleys were the closest thing to a family he had anymore, and they’d always treated him like a son. He’d been through quite a bit with their family, ranging from his many excursions with Ron to rescuing Ginny from the Chamber to seeing Mr. Weasley attacked by the snake. He was attached to every member of the Weasley family in one way or another, and although each bond was different, he treasured each
one.

But he didn’t think anyone could fill the hole Sirius had left in his heart. A year ago, all he'd wanted was to see his friends and a good snog with Cho Chang. Now the only things he wanted he couldn’t have. Because people don’t come back from the dead, and it’s impossible to deny destiny.

Which led to yet another worm eating away at Harry. The Prophecy had been haunting him since the day he first understood what it meant. Harry hadn’t told anyone, not even Ron and Hermione. He knew he needed to get it off his chest, but he wasn’t sure who to burden with his problems next. He’d always been able to tell his two best friends anything, but he had a strange sense of foreboding, perhaps it was an omen of some sort, but he knew he shouldn’t tell them, at least not yet. He felt so guilty keeping this from them, but could already picture their reactions in his mind. Hermione would question and analyze to the point that it became painful, and Ron would gape and wonder in fragments. Just like always.

Feeling the all too familiar tightening in the back of his throat, Harry hastily opened the letter from Dumbledore. Eyes scanning the note, he suppressed a snort.

Dear Harry,

I’m sure that your aware by now that you have permission to visit the Weasley residence. Best wishes for the rest of your summer and have a Happy Birthday. Please Respond.

-Albus Dumbledore

It was a checkup, and Harry knew it. His headmaster had wanted to be sure Harry hadn’t died of misery over the holidays. He felt a surge of anger as he realized, not for the first time, that he was never alone, even when he wanted to be. He was overwhelmed with emotion as it occurred to him that perhaps Dumbledore didn’t trust him, and with good reason.

“He doesn’t want anyone else to be killed,” thought Harry bitterly.

He threw himself onto the bed, brow furrowed. Immediately, a wild ball of feathers hurled itself into the room, thrashing about madly.

“Pig...” muttered Harry, rising to retrieve what the owl had brought him. The letter was addressed to him, from Ginny. Harry smiled; he hadn’t heard from her all summer. Although she was Ron’s little sister, it was a nice change from the monotony Harry was so used to. Harry was relieved that Ginny had overcome her crush on him because now she was much easier to talk to.

Plus, she’d gotten him out of a tight spot more than once.

Harry-

I’m sorry I haven’t written all summer, but I’ve been rather busy with Quidditch and such. I’d like to be on the team as a Chaser this year, so I’ve been practicing non-stop. Other than that, it’s been a rather relaxing summer, surprisingly. Dad’s heard rumors that Fudge will be fired, so that’s caused some controversy at the Ministry, but nothing that affects us directly. We’ve spent the summer nervously awaiting some sort of attack, but strangely nothing’s happened.

Ron’s told me that you’ll be arriving here tomorrow! That’s fantastic, Harry, I can’t wait! We’ve got new Quidditch balls, and I’m planning on matching my seeking skills against yours...and beating your sorry rear! I miss you, Harry, it really isn’t the same without you here.

Hugs,

Ginny

Harry smiled. That was the best letter he’d gotten all summer.
_______________________________________ _______________________________________

A/N: I know it’s short, but I want your response and the next chapter will be longer! Leave reviews! XoXo!

-Shae
Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear