Search:

SIYE Time:15:51 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


We Had to Start Somewhere
By Rant

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: Death
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 314
Summary: Some believe in love at first sight, but for Harry and Ginny first sight happened years ago and they're far from enamored. It seems they will have to settle for the gradual kind, the kind that drives us all mad but makes sense - in the end.
Hitcount: Story Total: 84156; Chapter Total: 6336







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Something's... Missing
Part Seven


It came as no surprise that Hermione reacted badly to Harry’s news of the prophecy. As Ron predicted, she began fretting almost immediately and questioning if there were any way of it being misunderstood. She was, quite frankly, frantic to disprove it. When Harry solemnly explained, as he had to Ron, that the prophecy could only pertain to him in regard to the different aspects of it, she burst out crying.

It occurred to him when Hermione — her face shiny with tears — rushed into his arms that this was perhaps why he didn’t want to tell Ginny. The last time he’d seen her cry was in the Chamber of Secrets and that led to a whole lot of memories he didn’t want to go over anytime soon. But even as he considered this possibility, he knew that that wasn’t it; Ginny was more controlled than that. Hermione, for all the reservation she fronted for his and Ron’s sake, was soft at the core and it was only natural for her to react this way.

But Ginny… Ginny was different.

Never one to handle crying women very well, Harry patted her awkwardly on the shoulder and looked to Ron in desperation. Ron gently pulled Hermione from Harry’s uncomfortable embrace and hugged her until she calmed down enough to hear the rest. It took several minutes and it was only after Harry had been long seated on a couch in the Room of Requirement that she was able to take a breath without shuddering each time.

Apparently, it was frightening to hear that your best mate was destined to be a murderer or be killed.

They spoke long into the night, waylaying any rest they should get before their first day back in classes. Hermione remained nestled at Ron’s side the entire evening and it was obvious to Harry that they were crossing over into something before his very eyes, but knew better than to comment. Instead they tore the prophecy apart, little by little, and then had the room conjure up as many defensive books as it could. None, of course, offered Harry a reprieve from what he was fated to do, but he hadn’t expected much in that way anyway.

He stumbled up to bed two hours before sunrise (Ron and Hermione stayed behind to no surprise) and collapsed in his bed and into a deep slumber. Harry would have happily stayed there all day but was shaken awake by Ron in time to catch Professor McGonagall outside the Great Hall and receive his new course schedule.

It was not uncommon for post-OWLs students to have fewer classes that lasted twice as long as before. His schedule had only Defense, Transfiguration, Charms, Magical Creatures and Potions, but each consumed half a day — one full day per week.

Harry winced at the thought of facing Snape for several hours in a row, but those wanting to be Aurors couldn’t be choosers. He’d spent the better of the holiday pretending that the man didn’t exist, but now there would be no ignoring him; when he mentioned this to Ginny the one time he saw her that day, she told him — mischief all over her face - that it was a lesson in patience. Harry told her to stuff it.

Luckily enough, Charms was first thing for him that day and Professor Flitwick was gracious enough to use the morning for OWLs review and then gave the students an outline for the rest of the term. The only new thing was the fact that all four houses had been combined into one class instead of two at a time; it was a first for everyone and, as Dumbledore had told them in the Welcoming Feast, was an effort towards inter-house unity. So instead of being only with Gryffindors, Harry was surrounded on all sides by those from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and, to his great disdain, Slytherin.

Harry sat along the wall next to Ron and Hermione, silently glaring at Draco Malfoy across the room. The other boy was distinctly quieter than usual, but his air had the same age-old malevolence. From time to time, Ron would grumble to Harry that he couldn’t believe that Malfoy had been allowed back with his father being discovered as a true Death Eater. Harry shrugged off the words as Hermione patted Ron’s hand and hoped for a time on his own where he could finish off a good spell in Malfoy’s direction.

Ron and Harry were blissfully relieved of Malfoy’s presence when they arrived at Care of Magical Creatures. Hagrid, not having his usual Slytherin hecklers due to their giving up the course, was in a very good mood and even happier to spend time with his young friends afterwards. Hermione — fresh from her Arithmancy lesson — joined them at Hagrid’s hut and they enjoyed tea together before returning to the castle.

So it was with lighter heart that Harry arrived in the common room that night and dropped his book bag on an empty table. There were a select few students scattered around, getting ahead on their studies already (Hermione was not among them, surprisingly, but Ron was also missing so Harry put two and two together rather quickly). It was only after Harry had taken his third look around the room that he realized who he was looking for. Ginny.

She was nowhere to be seen and, though he was tempted to try and find her, Harry decided to wait until she arrived from her classes. His wait was not very long as Ginny entered the Common Room — her expression rather downtrodden — a few minutes later.

Harry closed his text as she approached and asked, “So how was it?”

“Horrid,” Ginny groaned. She dropped her books loudly on the table. “Absolutely horrid. Did you know McGonagall looks three times as frightening when she’s discussing revisions? I swear she must be part nundu: she speaks and we keel over in terror.”

Harry chuckled lowly, “I remember that.”

“And yet you live,” Ginny mused. “You must be stronger than I gave you credit for.”

“Thanks,” Harry said dryly.

“Nah, it’s good,” Ginny said. “Gives me hope for some of my class, me especially. Any tips?”

“Ah,” Harry pretended to think. “Don’t stand in her direct path?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “That’s helpful.”

“Ginny, you’ll be fine.” He pointed the end of his quill at her. “You aren’t giving yourself nearly enough credit.”

“Says the boy who got the highest OWL in Defense in the Hogwart’s history,” Ginny said sarcastically. “Speaking of, Professor Bhamra? He’s a case.”

“Really?” Harry perked up in interest. They hadn’t gotten a look at the new Defense Professor, a former Auror from the ranks in India, as he hadn’t arrived in time for the feast. Information on him was especially meager and Harry had yet to even see what he looked like.

“No turban to be seen, as I’m sure you’ll be relieved to hear,” Ginny said with a crooked grin. “But, Merlin, never met a professor like him. Reminds me of Kingsley — silent type, you know — but severe. I think he’d beat McGonagall in a run off, if you get my meaning.”

Harry’s eyebrows rose slightly.

“Fact is,” Ginny explained, “I stayed after class to ask him if I could get some extra lessons in for Defense, but he said,” — Ginny stiffened her back and lowered her voice an octave - “‘Miss Weasley, you shall follow the class schedule along with everyone else. There is no precedent for anyone getting ahead of the others’.”

She collapsed slightly, “Can you believe it? After Umbridge, anyone who wasn’t in the D.A. is scrambling to catch up. I looked at the schedule. He isn’t even planning on the impediment jinx until winter term! Please tell me you’re starting up Dumbledore’s Army again.”

“I want to,” Harry said regretfully, “but after Professor Dumbledore got in trouble-”

“Word is they’ll toss Fudge out of office any day now,” Ginny interrupted. “Though why it’s taken so long is beyond me.”

“Because he knows how to play the political system,” Hermione’s voice broke into their conversation. Both Harry and Ginny jerked their heads up in surprise. “He knows how to make promises that he has no intention of carrying through, but work long enough to buy him time.”

Hermione sat with a loud sigh. It was quick, but Harry caught sight of her disentangling her hand from Ron’s behind her as she did it. Ginny must have caught it, too, because she turned back to Harry with her eyes wide. Harry only gave her a secretive grin in response and looked back to his other friend.

“But you’re right,” Hermione went on. “I expect he’ll be asked to leave very soon. He hasn’t done much at all in the way of preparing everyone for what’s coming.”

She gave Harry a furtive look when she said that and Harry quickly dropped his eyes to the table.

“From all I’ve read, Madame Bones should be ready to take his spot and she’ll do much better,” Hermione said in a final sort of way. “Maybe then we can restart the D.A. — with Harry’s consent, of course.”

“I’ll run it by Professor Dumbledore,” Harry mumbled, pretending to take a great interest in his Magical Creatures homework.

“So,” Ginny said suddenly. “Am I missing something here?”

Harry’s head shot up, “What do you mean?”

But Ginny was looking at Ron and Hermione. “Don’t tell me it finally happened, because if you didn’t wait until Christmas holiday, I’m out two galleons.”

Ron and Hermione exchanged slightly bewildered, slightly embarrassed looks. Ginny took this for an answer because she muttered, “Damn!” and stood up.

“Listen up, everyone!” She shouted into the room. “Who had the first two days back at Hogwarts for the Perfect Prefect Pool?”

A small girl, Harry thought her name was Natalie, raised her hand enthusiastically from across the room. Ginny gave her an appraising look and said, “Congratulations. Start collecting!”

Natalie pumped her fist in the air while the rest of the occupants in the room either groaned loudly or shouted congratulations to Hermione and Ron. At this, Hermione — her expression horrified — said, “You were betting on us?”

“How much was it?” Ron asked eagerly. Hermione thumped him on the arm.

“Of course we did, not that it did me any good,” Ginny said to Hermione. Turning to Ron, she added, “You’ll have to ask Seamus, he was the one keeping track.”

Hermione looked at Harry, “ And you-”

“I had no idea,” Harry said, raising his hands in defense. “But knowing Ginny, I should have guessed.”

“And what are you talking about?” Ginny asked, playfully poking him in the side.

“I don’t think I need to elaborate on that,” Harry said with a grin, thinking of the night she’d shown up at his doorway with her birthday gift.

Ginny must have cottoned on because she slyly said, “Well, I could recoup my losses with a few choice words. And there would be many a happy girl in Gryffindor tower. Perhaps a boy or two as well.”

“You wouldn’t,” Harry said back, pretending shock.

“I could.” She cocked up one eyebrow. “Don’t tempt me, Potter.”

“Why do I suddenly feel I’ve started watching something on the telly that’s already half-way in progress?” Hermione’s confused question caused them to turn back to her. Ron looked strangely pleased, but didn’t offer an explanation.

Harry looked down and pretended to arrange the parchment in front of him, “All I’m saying is that not all Weasley’s are to be trusted, this one in particular.”

Hermione gave him another puzzled look, but shook her head as Ginny glanced at her watch and announced she had to go meet Dean. Harry waved her off distractedly, making sure not to look over at Ron, and started scratching at the parchment with his quill.

“What’d I tell you?” Ron finally spoke up and Harry didn’t bother looking at him.

Beside him, Hermione sighed and retorted, “Boys and girls can be friends with nothing else happening, Ron. There’s no need to sound so smug. Harry, pay no attention to him.”

“I intend to,” Harry muttered.

**********


In the following week, Harry was hard-pressed to remember why he’d been so happy to return to school. It was as if OWLs hadn’t been bad enough, now they had to contend with NEWT level courses for long periods of time. Professor McGonagall, while no doubt the professor he listened to the most, was as scary as Ginny had tried to convince him and there was little hope of things getting better. She was also correct about Professor Bhamra — though the man clearly knew the subject of Defense, Harry found himself bored because it was merely a review of things he’d learned long before.

Potions, as he’d expected, was hell. By no fault of his own — Peeves was always happy to welcome back the students in the worst way possible, this time causing Harry to take the long way to the dungeons in order to avoid him — he was late to Snape’s first lesson of the year and had to take the brunt of his professor’s harsh remarks.

Knowing it would do him no good to argue, Harry sent a grieved look to Ron and Hermione who were sitting together. The closest spot he could find next to them was two tables over where a Ravenclaw he didn’t know was already sitting. She gave him a genuinely surprised look as he dropped onto the bench, but Harry merely smiled grimly in response and looked to the front of the class.

The days were closing in on his first week back and, for no reason he could think of, he’d gotten considerably grouchy as time passed. Quidditch had yet start up, though he’d heard along the way that Katie Bell had indeed secured the Captainship. A little bit of jealously streaked through him at the news, but Harry also knew that he was lucky to back on the team at all. Katie had already set up a tryout for the open positions but that was days away and Harry was a bit antsy to get on the pitch.

Harry started copying down Snape’s notes, half-thinking that perhaps his restlessness had to do with not being able to fly yet. Though he’d been tempted to sneak out for a night fly, he knew that there was little hope of not being caught. It would be best to wait for Quidditch practice. Besides, it wouldn’t be so fun to do it alone and Ron was often busy with Hermione these days and Ginny-

He stopped what he was writing as he thought of her. How long had it been since he’d spoken to Ginny anyway? The last he could remember was sharing a few words over breakfast a few days prior. Their classes were often in different parts of the castle and she seemed to have always just left any place he arrived at. Then he’d hear of her arriving just after he’d gone somewhere else.

Well, he’d just have to track her down, that’s all, Harry thought as he started up his notes again. Surely it couldn’t be that hard.

**********


But it was. Oh, it was.

He searched for her that entire afternoon, all to no avail. She wasn’t in the Great Hall, nor in the common room, nor wandering the hallways and Harry soon found himself giving up entirely. It would be just his luck to run into her when he wasn’t looking at all, so he gathered up his belongings and headed for the library. With some luck, he could at least find Hermione and Ron there and get a head start on his Potions project.

The first person he caught sight of, however, was Dean Thomas at a desk towards the back of the room. Sure that he could at least get a hint of Ginny’s whereabouts, he walked toward the other boy and greeted him with a friendly, “Hey, can I ask you something? Ginny-”

Dean, however, looked at him and groaned. “Not you, too.”

“What?” Harry stopped himself from sitting down.

“Look, I’ve already gotten the third degree from Ron, I don’t need it from you either,” Dean grumbled. “So let’s just get it over with. Yes, I like Ginny. No, I’m not going to hurt her and, yes, I realize you know more hexes than I could ever dream of. That cover everything?”

“Uh… no,” Harry said, flabbergasted. “I was just wondering where Ginny was.”

This caused Dean to pause for a long second and deadpan, “That’s it?”

“Er, yeah,” Harry said hesitantly. “Though you may be right about the hexes.”

The other boy visibly relaxed and pointed to the chair opposite him. Harry took a seat and asked, “Ron talked to you about her?”

“Yeah,” Dean answered, twirling the quill in his hand. “He was in a right strop about me and Ginny, too. I’m surprised you didn’t know.”

“He’s been a little busy,” Harry explained. He could have added to that, but thought better of telling Dean how Ron was intent on setting him up with his girlfriend. Cutting off that train of thought he asked, “Did you really think I’d say something like that? She’s got plenty of brothers already.”

Dean shrugged, “I know you two are friends. She always talked about you in her letters.”

“Really?” Harry considered this and made a noise of interest. “I didn’t know.”

“I meant to say thanks, by the way, I know you were letting her use Hedwig,” Dean said. He dropped his quill on the table and leaned forward. “You really don’t have a problem with us?”

“Well…” Harry sat back for a moment. Was this what it was like to have a sister? He wasn’t entirely sure, but he might as well give it a try. “You like her, right?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then I don’t see a problem,” Harry finished. There. That would work.

Dean looked back at him, amazement clear on his face. “Wow. I didn’t think it’d be that easy.”

Harry shook his head, trying to understand what he meant. “You don’t need my approval, Dean.”

“Approval for what?”

Ginny had finally appeared.

“There you are,” Harry said warmly. “Do you know how hard it is to find you these days?”

“I’m a busy girl, Potter,” Ginny said back as she sat beside Dean. They exchanged smiles before she turned her suspicion back on Harry. “You weren’t discussing me, were you? If I remember correctly, I only have one brother left at Hogwarts now.”

“Back off, Weasley,” Harry retorted. “I’m the innocent one here.”

“Is that so?” Ginny gave Dean a skeptical glance. He, in turn, shook his head sheepishly.

“Anyway,” Harry said, intent on getting Ginny’s attention. “I was looking for you all over. It’s been days since I’ve saw you, I reckon.”

Ginny gave him an indifferent shrug, “Lots of stuff to do, OWLs and all.”

“I hardly see her myself,” Dean offered as he began looking through the work before him. “Always studying, this one. I keep telling her OWLs are months away, but she won’t listen to a word I say.”

“Well, I can see why-” Harry stopped short when he saw Ginny give him a tiny shake of her head. “Uh, I mean, it makes sense for fifth years to be nervous.”

“I suppose,” Dean said, rising from his chair. “I’ll be back, I think I left a folder in my trunk.”

“I’ll wait here,” Ginny offered. Underneath the table, she pressed down on Harry’s foot and he nodded in agreement while trying not to wince openly.

Once Dean was out of sight, Ginny lifted the pressure off Harry’s foot and stamped it again for good measure. Harry jumped back and asked, “Blimey, what was that for?”

“You can’t just go around telling anyone what I told you in confidence,” Ginny whispered fiercely.

“What?” Harry looked around to where Dean had just exited. “You mean Dean? Doesn’t he know about-”

“No.” Ginny said, sighing. “I thought about telling him, but I really don’t think he’d understand.”

“Not understand?” If anything, his confusion had grown tenfold. “What’s the big deal?”

“He doesn’t… get it,” Ginny spread her hands as she tried to explain. “I know he’d try to see my point of view, but Dean’s ultimate goal is to live in London and make his way gallery by gallery. He likes being a wizard, but he still doesn’t understand everything and he doesn’t care all that much. He wouldn’t understand where I’m coming from.”

Harry shook his head as if to clear his thoughts, “But it’s important to you.”

“It is,” Ginny said. “And he’s important to me, but in a different way. There’s no need to try and immediately reconcile the two. It’s not like we’re getting married or anything.”

“I guess,” Harry said slowly.

“Let’s just keep this between you and me, okay?” Ginny pleaded.

“Okay,” Harry agreed, still at a loss. He had a feeling he’d never understand a girl’s thought process. “Where have you been anyway? I wasn’t able to find you at all.”

Ginny stared at him, “Why didn’t you try the mirror?”

He hadn’t planned on feeling rather stupid, but the feeling was suddenly there. Harry lifted a hand to his head and muttered, “I can’t believe I forgot about that.”

She laughed openly and Harry dropped his hand to see her amused face. “Don’t worry, I doubt I would have answered right away. I was trying to convince Professor Bhamra to move up his course schedule. Not that it helped any,” she finished wryly.

“I could give it a try,” Harry offered, remembering he would have his another Defense course the following morning.

“Don’t worry,” Ginny assured him. “I’ll just do it on my own. I’m sure there’s plenty around here to give me a jump start.”

“But you don’t have to,” Harry said thoughtfully. At Ginny’s interested face he added, “I could help you out. We may not be able to start up the D.A. just yet, but I don’t see why I couldn’t give you hand just between the two of us.”

A grin slowly grew across Ginny’s face, “Really?”

“Yeah,” Harry said with a nod. “Maybe then I’d actually get to see you every once in a while.”

“Aw, did you miss me, Harry?” Ginny taunted playfully. “I’m flattered.”

“Huh,” Harry said, realizing she was right. “I guess I did.”

**********


A/N: This chapter was so hard to get out. I promise the next will be better!

Reviews 314
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear