Search:

SIYE Time:13:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Everything Feels Right
By IzzyLovesSnape

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Drama, Fluff
Warnings: None
Rating: G
Reviews: 3
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2005 ***

It was the trio 6th year at Hogwarts.
Harry realized that he was developing feelings towards Ron's overprotected sister, Ginny. The only problem was, there was someone else.....maybe there'll always be someone else in the way...H/G with R/Hr in the background
Hitcount: Story Total: 3030







ChapterPrinter


‘Food! Great, I’m starving!’ said Ron as he settled himself on a bench next to Harry.

Ron pulled every dish within reach towards him and started eating like it was his last meal. Hermione put on a disgusting face.

‘Honestly Ron, can’t you at least show some table manners?’ said Hermione, gracefully cutting up her potatoes, ‘and please don’t talk with your mouth full.’

Just then Roger Davies, Ravenclaw Quidditch Captain, walked in the Great Hall and hurried over to Hermione.

‘Hermione, have you seen Ginny?’ asked Roger, glancing at Ron.

‘No.’

‘If you see her, can you tell her I’m looking for her? — Thanks,’ said Roger.

‘Wha — dyou — wonnoshee-he?’ asked Ron through a mouthful of food, causing Hermione and Harry to look at him in disgust.

Roger stared at him and raised an eyebrow. He ignored Ron’s question and left to the Ravenclaw table.

‘I don’t like him,’ announced Ron, pulling another steak — and — kidney pie and helping himself to seconds.

‘Neither do I,’ muttered Harry under his breath, cutting his dish of pork chop.

‘Tell me, ’Mione, is Roger going out with Ginny?’ demanded Ron looking disgruntled, prompting Hermione to shake her head.

‘I don’t know, Ronald. Even if I do, I won’t tell you. It’s Ginny’s business,’ said Hermione firmly, ‘you want to know, you ask her yourself — here she comes.’

Ginny came stumping into the Great Hall, spotted them and walked over.

‘Hey, guys!’ greeted Ginny, putting her bag on the bench next to Hermione.

‘Hello Ginny!’ said Harry and Hermione in unison.

‘Ginny, Roger was looking for you,’ added Hermione ignoring Ron’s grunts.

‘He was? OK — I’ll be back in a minute,’ said Ginny as she made her way to the Ravenclaw table, looking for Roger.

‘What is it with Ginny and Ravenclaw boys?’ demanded Ron as he shoveled pie into his mouth. ‘First, Michael Corner and now Roger Davies. Why can’t she choose someone from Gryffindor?’

‘It doesn’t make any difference — you’ll still hate the guy,’ said Harry promptly, helping himself to seconds of pork chop.

‘Yeah — but at least I can keep an eye on him — then I can show Ginny what a jerk he might be,’ said Ron, rolling his eyes.

‘Ron, Ginny’s not a little girl anymore - ’

‘Why did Roger’s girlfriend break up with him? I bet because he’s a total git,’ Ron went on, ignoring Hermione.

‘Ron, Ginny can take care of herself - ’

‘Didn’t you tell us, Harry about Roger’s make out session with his girlfriend in Madam Puddifoot’s Teashop last year? If I see him doing that with Ginny, I’ll kick him,’ added Ron, still ignoring Hermione.

‘Oh - c’mon, Ron,’ said Harry, getting sick of Ron’s whining.

‘Honestly, I’m surprised Ginny has guys chasing after her,’ continued Ron, the look between proud and pure disgust was on his face.

‘Ron — just because you don’t seem to be able to attract the opposite sex, doesn’t mean Ginny’s the same!’ said Hermione nastily, putting down her spoon.

Ron, who had treacle tart halfway through his mouth, dropped his fork onto the plate with a clatter. Harry stared at Hermione. That was the wrong thing to say. Harry could tell Hermione realized it too only a second too late.

‘Ron — I — that came out all wrong,’ spluttered Hermione.

‘No — that came out perfectly — you’re right, Ginny’s different,’ said Ron in a low voice. He got up to his feet, ‘I’ll see you in the common room, Harry.’

Ron walked out of the Great Hall slowly, ignoring greetings from fellow Gryffindors. Hermione looked regretful.

‘I’ll be in the library,’ informed Hermione miserably, taking her bag and she too walked out of the Hall.

Harry shook his head. Ron and Hermione never seemed to be able to go through a day without bickering and Harry had had enough of it. Why can’t they just admit they like each other? Then all problems will be settled.

‘Harry, where’s everyone?’ asked Ginny, panting, her face flushed from the running or her meeting with Roger, Harry wasn’t sure.

‘Ron left early to the common room and Hermione’s in the library,’ said Harry, pulling a dish of Yorkshire pudding towards him.

‘Ron left early? Without pudding? I should write down the date, this is history!’ exclaimed Ginny.

Harry snorted into his pudding. Ginny sure had a sense of humour.

‘Well, I got to go and find Hermione,’ said Ginny, hefting her bag on her shoulder.

Harry could see Roger Davis waiting for her near the entrance to the Great Hall.

‘You don’t want to eat first?’

‘It’s OK. I’m not that hungry. See you later.’ Ginny hurried over to Roger and dashed out of the Hall.


Harry sat on an armchair by the fire later that night, trying to finish his homework. Christmas breaks were just one week away, and he wanted to enjoy work-free holidays. He flipped through his Potions book lazily, wishing that Snape would just suddenly dropped dead, so he won’t have to do his homework.

Just then, Hermione climbed in the portrait hole, followed closely by Ginny.

‘Hey, Harry,’ said Hermione, coming over to join him.

Hermione looked over at Ron. He was hunched in a corner, staring out the window across the grounds. He spotted Hermione, got up and dragged himself to bed.

‘He’ll be OK. He always will,’ Harry said, as though reading her mind. ‘Just give him some time.’

‘Well — alright then,’ said Hermione yawning, ‘I’m going to bed.’

And she too, climbed the girls’ staircase.

‘Are they still fighting?’ asked Ginny as she sank into the armchair next to Harry’s. ‘Hermione told me what happened at dinner,’ she added as she spotted Harry’s puzzled look.

‘Yeah. You must know that Ron’s a bit stubborn.’

‘Trust me — I know,’ said Ginny nodding, as she took out her quill to start on her Potions essay.

‘Potions homework?’ asked Harry, glancing at the top of Ginny’s parchment. ‘I’m doing mine too.’

‘Yeah — maybe you can help me with this, Harry,’ said Ginny, dipping the point of her quill into her inkpot, her expression full of hope.

‘Me?! I can’t guarantee you anything Ginny. I’m not at all good in Potions,’ said Harry, grinning.

‘But you received an ‘O’ for your O.W.L in Potions,’ protested Ginny, ‘you must be good.’

‘Well, I was surprised ‘bout that myself. I’m still wondering how on earth it was possible.’

‘Why do you still take Potions, anyway?’ asked Ginny, rubbing her forehead.

‘I want to become an Auror, so it’s compulsory to take Potions,’ replied Harry. ‘I wasn’t exactly thrilled about it.’

‘Bet Snape got the shock of his life,’ added Ginny, grinning broadly.

‘Yeah, he must have, coz he managed to give me the look of deepest loathing that I thought could not get any worse than before,’ said Harry, putting down his quill and scanned his Potions book once more.

‘He’s always like that. Nothing seemed to be able to make him happy. He must live a miserable life — no jokes, no friends, no girlfriend,’ Ginny said, sniggering.

Harry laughed so hard at Ginny’s comment that he scared a couple of timid-looking first years nearby. Both of them continued discussing about Snape’s love life and made jokes on him until they were the last in the common room.

‘Oh — Harry,’ said Ginny breathlessly, wiping tears of laughter from her eyes, ‘I’m going to have to go to bed. I can’t finish this — not when I have no energy left from all this laughing.’ Ginny stuffed her quill, inkpot and her half-finished Potions essay inside her bag and set off up the girls’ staircase.


Harry waved her goodnight as he too packed his bag and seconds later he turned his head towards the girls’ dormitories again. He smiled. He had spent the whole night joking and laughing with Ginny. She was just as hilarious as Ron. Maybe it was in her Weasley blood. Harry yawned widely and climbed the boys’ stairs.

*


Ron and Hermione were back on speaking terms during breakfast much to Hermione’s delight. Harry loved that they were friends again too much to say anything — though he suspected that Ron hadn’t actually forgotten about what Hermione had said the day before. The morning posts came as usual as hundreds of owls soared into the Great Hall to deliver posts to the addressees. A beautiful, snowy owl much like Hedwig dropped a letter in front of Hermione. Ron made an attempt to snatch it, but Hermione was much quicker. She carefully examined the letter and tore opened the envelope. She read it with growing interest and occasionally blurted out squeals of excitement.

‘Who’s that from?’ asked Ron curiously, glancing up from his plate as Hermione folded the letter and put it in her bag.

‘Viktor,’ replied Hermione nonchalantly.

Ron returned his attention towards his plate again without another word. Harry waited for him to say something as he’d always do every time Viktor Krum is mentioned, but surprisingly he kept quiet the entire time. Only his angry grunts were heard as his buttered toast dropped onto his robes.

‘Good morning, Ginny,’ greeted Hermione as Ginny took a seat next to her. ‘You’re late.’

‘Yeah, I know I am,’ said Ginny, hastily spreading butter on her toast, ‘I went to bed late last night.’

‘Why?’ demanded Ron impatiently, ‘busy helping Roger to figure which is the head and tail of a broomstick? He’s such an idiot I’m not surprised if he doesn’t know.’

‘Ron!’ snapped Hermione, her eyes narrowed dangerously.

‘It’s fine Hermione,’ assured Ginny, glancing at Hermione before turning her attention towards Ron. ‘No — I was busy doing my homework.’

Harry smiled shrewdly. He knew for sure that wasn’t the entire truth as Ginny had spent the whole night laughing with him, her homework barely finished.

‘Do y’know Hermione, I read it in this one book — there’s a potion to keep nosy people out of your life,’ Ginny went on, glancing back at Hermione and clearly emphasizing on the word nosy, ‘maybe you can help me make it.’ She caught Harry’s eyes and grinned.

Hermione chuckled while Harry tried to keep a straight face but failed miserably. Ron turned pink around the ears with trace of embarrassment on his face.

‘Sure, I’ll help,’ said Hermione in a casual tone, trying hard to fight back a smile. ‘God knows how much I need that too.’

They continued to enjoy their breakfast in silence — Ron glanced up at Hermione several times curiously — Hermione steadily munching her toast while reading her Charms book — Ginny caught Harry staring at her for the third time.

‘So, what do you have today?’ asked Harry promptly, trying to excuse his stares.

‘Only Transfigurations and Defense Against The Dark Arts,’ said Ginny shrugging as she rose to her feet and picked up her bag before glancing up at Harry again, ‘don’t forget tonight, I still have a lot to finish.’ And she hurried out of the Hall.

‘What are you and Ginny planning to do tonight?’ asked Ron suspiciously as they too got up and made their way to History of Magic.

‘I promise to help her with her Potions homework,’ replied Harry vaguely, taking longer strides to keep up with Hermione.

‘But —but,’ spluttered Ron, ‘Why you? Why not Hermione?’

‘Ron — just drop it,’ said Hermione firmly.

Harry was grateful that Ron listened to Hermione and was even more grateful when they entered the classroom as Ron had no further opportunity to bombard him with questions — Harry wasn’t exactly keen to answers questions from the most protective brother he’d ever met.


Later that night in the common room, Harry found it hard to concentrate on his attempt to help Ginny with her homework with all the noise coming from a bunch of fourth - years in the middle of the room. Not that Harry can concentrate on anything with Ginny close to him, but the noise made it harder. One of them, a lanky boy was demonstrating an action sequence that might have been a dance or an imitation of an animal yet unknown to mankind, Harry couldn’t tell. Nevertheless, he received tremendous applause and cheers from his friends at the end of his demonstration. Harry looked up at Ron who had been conspicuously watching him and Ginny from over the top of his half-built card castle (another reason why Harry couldn’t concentrate) and cleared his throat.

‘Ron, can you ask them to be quiet?’ asked Harry, gesturing at the fourth-years.

‘Huh? — I can’t Harry,’ said Ron, placing another card on his card castle.

‘Why not? You’re a prefect!’ said Harry incredulously.

‘Well yeah — but I’m their favourite prefect. They like me. Let Hermione handle this, she’s the strict one,’ answered Ron as his card castle blew up, burning his thumb.

‘Good one, Ron — that’s what you got for not doing your job well.’

It was Hermione. She had arrived from the girls’ dormitories clutching a parchment, a quill and an inkpot. She walked over to the fourth-years and told them off for being too noisy. They all looked very gloomy and some of them departed to the dormitories. Harry was full of admiration at Hermione’s authority. She joined them at the table and sat opposite Ron. Ron had abandoned his card castle and was now reading The Tactics, Strategies and Diversity of Quidditch. Hermione unrolled her parchment and started writing.

‘Letter for Vicky?’ asked Ron rather overly casual, peeking over his book.

Hermione nodded but didn’t look up. She kept on writing in silence for another half an hour, pausing occasionally to dip her quill in her inkpot. Harry caught a glimpse of Hermione glancing at Ron several times over the top of her quill. Ginny looked up from her parchment (she had been writing down the conclusion Harry had given her) and squinted at Ron before glancing at Hermione and back to Ron again and put her quill down.

‘So, how’s Viktor?’ asked Ginny amiably, shooting Ron a cunning look.

‘He’s fine. He’s going to Germany for Christmas,’ replied Hermione rather enthusiastically, scanning through her letter.

A soft snort was heard.

‘He said he’s going to buy me a gift from Germany…’continued Hermione, folding the letter carefully and put it in an envelope.

Another snort was heard, considerably louder.

‘…..but I told him not to,’ finished Hermione, ignoring the distracting sound.

‘He’s so sweet,’ remarked Ginny, smiling.

‘Yeah, he is,’ agreed Hermione, sealing the envelope. ‘Is there anything wrong, Ron?’

Ron had slammed shut the book with another loud snort. Harry grinned wryly.

‘Nah — nothing. This book got the information on the Chudley Cannon wrong,’ said Ron, running his fingers through his hair absently.

‘I’m going to bed,’ announced Hermione, yawning widely. ‘See you all tomorrow.’ She collected all her stuffs and departed to the girls’ dormitories.

Harry might have been wrong but he noticed Hermione’s expression darkened.

‘You’re so tactless,’ Ginny told Ron, glaring at him in exasperation.

‘Huh? What did I do?’ demanded Ron.

‘Why didn’t you say something?’ asked Ginny.

‘Like what?’

‘Like whatever you always said every time Viktor is mentioned,’ said Harry, joining in.

‘What for?’ asked Ron incredulously. ‘You know how she resembled a sabre-toothed tiger every time I said something about her Vicky.’

‘At least it shows that you have some interest in what’s going on with her and Viktor,’ replied Ginny briskly.

‘What do you mean?’ asked Ron, utterly confused.

‘Oh Ron — why do you think she came down here to write a letter to Viktor in front of your face?’ asked Ginny fervently. ‘Why would she do that when everything concerning Viktor will only lead to another one of your infamous arguments?’

‘She just wanted to show off her boyfriend,’ said Ron impatiently, looking disgruntled.

‘And why do you think she wanted to do that for?’ asked Harry, completely understanding the whole situation.

‘How am I supposed to know? Females’ minds work in a very twisted way, mind you.’

‘Ah — forget it! You’re just so clueless,’ snapped Ginny, smoothing the creases on her robes and set off the girls’ staircase.

Ron goggled at her.

‘What have I done?’ demanded Ron desperately, looking at Harry.

*


Harry and Ron walked across the grounds towards the Quidditch pitch for their final training before Christmas the next day. Harry had been devising new Quidditch tactics with Ron during the summer holidays when he was made the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain. When they arrived at the changing room, everyone else was already there. Harry gave a small pep talk and then they departed to the pitch. The weather was perfect. Harry supervised his team, correcting every mistake he spotted. Ron had improved tremendously after his spectacular performance when Gryffindor won the Quidditch Cup the previous year. He was now one of the best Keeper Gryffindor ever had since Oliver Wood. Ginny had switched to playing Chaser once Harry was back on the team. She was just at talented as Gyffindor previous Chasers — maybe better. Harry couldn’t resist complimenting her every time she scored a goal. He’d better get a grip on himself. Gryffindor was the favourite to win the Cup this year and Harry was going to make sure it happen just that. By the time they’d done training, it was already dark. Harry and Ron dashed to the Great Hall, sweaty and hungry.

‘How was practice?’ asked Hermione, who had been waiting for them at the Gryffindor table, buried in her book.

‘Excellent,’ said Harry as he greedily shoveled roasted potatoes into his mouth and choked. Hermione shook her head. By the time Harry had properly swallowed the potatoes, Ron was already helping himself to seconds of pork chop.

‘Where’s Ginny?’ inquired Hermione as she looked around the Gryffindor table and noticed Ginny wasn’t there.

Silence greeted her questions. Harry and Ron’s mouth was so full; they’d spray bits of food if they opened their mouth. Instead Harry just shrugged. Hermione continued reading her book, occasionally nodding in agreement to the facts written in it and after quite sometime, she closed her book and got up.

‘I’ll see you guys upstairs,’ she announced.

‘Hold on — I’m coming too,’ said Ron wiping his mouth and turned towards Harry. ‘I’ll see you later, OK?’

Harry nodded and waved them goodbye. He kept on shoveling the treacle tart and looked around for signs of a certain pretty red-haired girl. No luck. He took one last sip of pumpkin juice and vacated his seat. As he walked into the Entrance Hall, he bumped headlong into Ginny.

‘Where have you been?’ he asked.

‘Oh — I was meeting some friends,’ said Ginny, her eyes tracing every inch of Harry’s face. ‘You got dirt on your cheek.’

Harry’s face reddened. He quickly made an attempt to wipe off the dirt with his robes sleeve. Consequently, it got worse because his robe was splattered with mud. Ginny laughed.

‘Here — let me do it,’ said Ginny, pulling out a cloth from inside her robes and wipe Harry’s left cheek gently. The gesture made Harry lose his breath. ‘There — all done. Perfectly kissable.’

‘Thanks,’ muttered Harry, trying hard to regain control.

‘I’ll see you around, Harry,’ said Ginny, leaning forward and kissed Harry swiftly on his previously muddy cheek.

Harry’s heart skipped. As he watched Ginny disappeared among the students in the Great Hall, all the times he had spent with Ginny come flooding into his mind. He smiled. He remembered the scene at the Ministry of Magic the year before where Ginny had come face to face with several Death Eaters during the rescue mission. He remembered the sight of Ginny’s unconscious body after a jet of red light struck her. Harry thought about the fun time he had with Ginny at The Burrow during the summer holidays. He thought about the night they spent laughing out loud at jokes about Snape. He thought about the kiss Ginny had given him. As these images went through Harry’s head, he came to a sudden realization. His feeling for Ginny was completely different from how he used to feel about Cho Chang. Harry turned and strode past the Entrance Hall to the stairs. As he climbed the marble staircase to the Gryffindor Tower, all he could do was wonder when was it exactly that he had fallen for Ginny Weasley.

When he entered the common room, he was still smiling. When he was in his dormitory, the smile was still there. Even when he had pulled the hanging around his bed and took off his glasses, the smile never left his face. And then he drifted to sleep.

He dreamed he was back at the changing room after another excellent practice. Ginny lingered, though he had asked everyone to head back to the castle. He was putting the Bludgers back inside the crate when Ginny stepped closer to him. He can hear her breathing, she was way too close.

‘Harry,’ her soft voice rang in his ears.

Before he knew it, Ginny had kissed him deeply. It was so…..

Harry woke up really late on Christmas morning to the sound of laughter and paper ripping. He pulled back the hangings around his four-poster bed and put on his glasses. He saw Ron, Seamus, Dean and Neville were halfway through unwrapping their Christmas presents. He tried to remember the dream he had had last night. It was so real. Harry grinned to himself and walked over.

‘Happy Christmas, Harry,’ chorused them. ‘It’s noon already,’ added Seamus.

‘Happy Christmas.’

‘Come on, see what you’ve got - wow, thanks Harry,’ said Ron as he unwrapped Harry’s present for him which was a book - ‘Chudley Cannon: The History and The Glory’. Ron had received another sweater from Mrs. Weasley and a writing set consisted of several pieces of parchments, three quills and two inkpots from Hermione. Ron had given Harry a box of Harry’s favourite sweets — Chocolate Frogs, Fizzing Whizzbees and Bertie’s Botts’ Every Flavour Beans. Harry received a jumper and home-made mince pies from Mrs. Weasley and he too, received a writing set from Hermione. Harry gave a small snort of laughter. Hermione always seemed to be able to make him feel guilty for not doing his homework. Harry collected all his presents and kept them in his trunk.

‘Hey Harry — you missed this one,’ said Dean, pointing at a box wrapped in pink paper.

‘Huh?’

Harry was pleasantly surprised. He wasn’t expecting anymore present from anyone else, not even the Dursleys. He examined the box to see who the sender was, but there was no name. He carefully tore the wrapper to find a box of multi-coloured sugar quills. Inside the box, there was a card that said:

Dear Harry,


Happy Christmas. Hope you’ll like the quills.


Ginny.


‘Ginny gave you this?’ asked Ron who had been peering over Harry’s shoulder to read the card. ‘She never gave me anything. Why did she give you a present?’

Harry ignored Ron’s questions. Ginny had given him a Christmas presents. In five years that they’ve known each other, this was the first time he had ever received a gift from Ginny. Harry took this as a good sign and the smile that was on his face since the day before lengthened. Seconds later (the smile never left his face) he felt rather bad because he hadn’t got Ginny anything. Sucking one of the sugar quills — the red one (Ron had requested for the blue quill), he placed the box on his bed, his brain working furiously to find something to give to Ginny.

‘Don’t worry mate — you don’t have to give her anything. She’ll be just fine,’ said Ron as though reading his mind.

Numbly surprised by Ron’s remark, Harry shrugged.

‘C’mon — let’s go for lunch,’ announced Neville.


‘Thanks Ginny for the quills, I like them,’ Harry told Ginny when they met at the Gryffindor table during lunch. ‘I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything.’

‘It’s alright, Harry,’ assured Ginny. ‘I don’t mind.’

‘But I got to tell you,’ whispered Harry, leaning forward. ‘Ron had confiscated all the blue quills.’

Ginny chuckled and nodded briefly. ‘I’d thought he would.’

‘Wanna go outside?’ asked Harry, glancing around at Ron and Hermione.

‘Let’s go,’ said Ron, hastily taking a sip of pumpkin juice and sprayed some all over his robes.

‘Honestly, Ron,’ said Hermione, with revolted look on her face.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny strolled along the winding path on the grounds, enjoying the cold weather. All around them, a lot of people were happily socializing. Some were making snowmen. Harry watched a couple of third — years quarrelling over the snowman they were making with much interest; consequently he was hit hard on the back of his head with snowballs two consecutive times. He turned around and saw Ron and Hermione grinning sheepishly at him.

‘Sorry, mate — couldn’t resist,’ said Ron, throwing another snowball at him.

Harry ducked just in time and grabbed a handful of snow and aimed at Ron. He missed; instead his snowball hit Ginny who was standing harmlessly at one side right on face.

‘Oops — sorry Gin,’ said Harry, concerned.

‘Oh yeah — you’ll be sorry,’ replied Ginny slyly, wiping snow off her face.

‘Harry, if I was you — I’ll run right away,’ said Ron, alarmed as Ginny bent down and pretended to tie her shoelace.

Harry didn’t even have time to register what Ron had said in his head when Ginny’s snowball hit him hard on the stomach. Before the pain could fade away, he was hit again on the back. Harry took a deep breath to ease the agonizing pain, but then he was hit again right on the face. Harry fell flat on his back. Ron, Hermione and Ginny howled with laughter.

‘I’ve told you mate,’ said Ron sympathetically, bending forward and reached an arm towards Harry, ‘she’s evil.’ Ron pulled Harry up on his feet.

They spent the entire afternoon having furious snowball fight until Hermione and Ginny decided to head back to the common room before the Christmas feast started.

‘Don’t be late!’ yelled Ron as they walked inside the Entrance Hall.

The Great Hall had been decorated stunningly for Christmas with hundreds of garlands of mistletoe and sparkling Christmas trees at every entrance to the Hall. The ceiling was enchanted black and starry.

Harry took a seat next to Ron in the Great Hall. While waiting for the feast to start, they discussed about their upcoming Quidditch match against Ravenclaw that was going to take place right after the Christmas holidays.

‘We’re going to flatten them,’ announced Ron confidently, ‘they have no chance against us, not when I’m the Keeper.’ Ron pointed to his chest and grinned broadly.

‘Oh yeah — very confident aren’t you, Ron?

Hermione had arrived at the table, all clean and fresh. Ginny was striding along; breaking into another one of her infectious smiles, her long red hair glistened under the starry night. The sight of her was arresting. Without even noticing, Harry had been holding his breath.

Just as Ginny seated herself opposite Harry, Professor Dumbledore got up to his feet and welcomed everyone to enjoy the magnificent feast. All sorts of dish were on the table; everybody was spoilt for choice. Buzz of chatter filled the Hall as everyone tucked in to their food and swapped stories. Harry inconspicuously stole a glance at Ginny — she was enjoying her roasted chicken and chatting animatedly with Hermione. Hermione was busy complaining about the hefty amount of work that the house elves had to do to fill everyone’s stomach. She still hadn’t given up on S.P.E.W. Ginny listened to her tentatively and nodded several times in agreement to what she said. The dream Harry had had last night came flooding into his mind. Ginny was kissing him and he loved every second it. Harry felt heat creeping up his face as the thought drifted from his head. Embarrassed at his own thought, Harry grinned to his plate before him. His face reddened by every second that passed.

‘What’s wrong with you?’ asked Ron, looking at Harry in an odd expression.

‘What?’

‘What’s wrong with you?’ repeated Ron, glancing up at Hermione and Ginny in the same odd expression. ‘You’ve been so weird.’

Harry turned his head to look at Ron (he felt Ginny’s eyes on him) ‘Weird?’

‘Yeah — you’ve been grinning to you ears last night, this morning and now. Why are you so happy?’ asked Ron amiably, shoveling his chicken.

‘Nothing,’ replied Harry, rather too quickly. Though he shared secrets with Ron, he wasn’t at all ready to reveal the dream he had had about Ginny to anyone — especially to Ron. His mouth forming a grin again but he hastily turned it into a yawn.

‘Is it about a girl?’ asked Ginny absently.

Harry froze in the act of swallowing his bits of steak-and-kidney pie and suddenly had a coughing fit. Ron laughed, while Ginny peered at him, concerned. Hermione however stared at him with shrewd expression.

‘No — no, not a girl,’ lied Harry shaking his head, once he was able to breathe properly.

‘Are you sure, Harry?’ asked Ginny teasingly, her eyes focused on Harry’s as though trying to read his mind.

‘I’m sure,’ answered Harry. He regretted the words almost as soon as they were out as he detected a defensive tone in his own voice. He was horrified that Ginny would notice it.

Ginny shrugged and returned to her plate. Harry shook his head briskly turned his attention towards the teachers’ table and watched as Professor Dumbledore offer Professor McGonagall a drink.

‘Ginny — can you follow me for a while?’ whispered a voice that brought Harry’s attention back to the Gryffindor table.

Roger Davies was a few inches behind Ginny, stooping low. Harry tried not to watch as the sight of them made him wanted to break the glass in front of him.

‘Sure, but why?’ asked Ginny, looking up at him.

‘We need to talk,’ replied Roger quietly, grasping Ginny’s shoulder.

Ginny rose to her feet. ‘I’ll see you guys around.’ And she followed Roger out the Hall. Harry’s eyes tailed her without him even noticing it.

‘Oh no,’ said Hermione. ‘Something bad is going to happen. Poor Ginny.’

‘What do you mean?’ demanded Ron hotly. Apparently, the sight of Roger and Ginny disturbed him as much as it disturbed Harry.

‘Didn’t you see his face?’ asked Hermione anxiously. ‘He seemed hesitant.’

‘Really, Hermione — it would be much better if you explain properly,’ said Harry, his brows furrowed.

Well, OK,’ Hermione started, putting down her spoon, ‘he seemed hesitant, like he wasn’t sure what to do, like it was better if he did not say anything at all. And then he said ‘we need to talk’ in only the softest, gentle voice a guy like him can produce.’ Hermione paused to wait for Harry and Ron’s response but when they kept looking at her in blank expression, she finished dramatically. ‘He’s going to deliver some bad news.’

‘Like what?’

‘I dunno. It could be anything,’ said Hermione, shaking her head. ‘And I hope I’m wrong.’

‘I hope it’s that he’s breaking up with her,’ said Ron promptly, smiling slyly.

‘Ron!’ snapped Hermione, picking up her spoon again. ‘It’s not funny.’

‘Ginny would be heartbroken,’ muttered Harry indignantly, twiddling with his fork. ‘You wouldn’t want that, would you?’

Ron looked at Hermione before turning to face Harry.

‘Yeah, you’re right. But I still think it’s better if they ended this whole thing now rather than later — then the wound would heal faster,’ said Ron dignifiedly.

Hermione stared at Ron in pleasant disbelief.

‘Wow Ron — I dunno you could be so thoughtful,’ remarked Hermione in pure amazement.

Ron grinned sheepishly, his ears pink.

‘Let’s go, I’m full,’ announced him, getting up to his feet.

‘Why don’t you go first Ron? Professor McGonagall wants to see Harry and me,’ said Hermione.

‘Why?’ asked Harry and Ron together, frowning at her.

‘I’ll tell you why, Harry,’ replied Hermione impatiently, her brow crinkled.

Ron shrugged and waved at them dismissively before heading back to the common room.

‘Why does she want to see me?’ asked Harry gloomily, once Ron was out of earshot.

‘Nobody wants to see you, Harry. I just want to talk to you alone,’ informed Hermione.

Harry stiffened, feeling the need to be cautious. ‘What about?’

‘Harry, it was about a girl,’ said Hermione, grinning slyly at Harry.

‘What?’

‘Oh Harry, the thing that Ron talked about — about you grinning to your ears — it was about a girl, about Ginny to be specific,’ said Hermione briskly.

Harry hung his head and sighed. OK, Ginny didn’t notice, but Hermione sure did. Had he been too obvious?

‘Well — am I right?’ persisted Hermione, peering closer at him.

Harry looked up, unable to contain his embarrassment. He couldn’t lie to Hermione — she’d know. Harry nodded. Hermione grinned triumphantly.

‘You must be so shocked when she guessed it right,’ said Hermione, beaming.

‘Oh — you have no idea, I though I’d get busted already,’ Harry told Hermione, feeling relieved at the fact that Hermione didn’t laugh at him and that he could now ask for advice.

Hermione chuckled softly.

‘How do you know, anyway?’ demanded Harry desperately.

‘You would want to take your eyes off her sometimes, y’know,’ she paused to consider the matter, ‘— and that flush on your face doesn’t help either,’ she pointed.

A weak smile crossed Harry’s face. ‘I can’t help it — the heat rises every time she’s around.’

Hermione cast him a sidelong glance and beamed. ‘You really like her, don’t you?’

Harry didn’t even have to open his mouth to answer as the colour on his face gave him away. Nevertheless, he nodded.

‘What should I do?’ asked Harry.

‘You should tell her, that’s what you should do,’ said Hermione matter-of-factly.

Harry shook his head. ‘I dunno.’

Confessing to girls especially Ginny about his feelings wasn’t exactly the simplest thing to do. He was never good around girls.

Harry’s stomach suddenly gave an unpleasant lurch. ‘What about Roger? What about what you’d just said? About Ginny and the bad news and stuffs?’

Hermione’s face screwed up in concentration.

‘Harry, I did say I hope I was wrong. And the thing is, Ginny never said she’s dating Roger — we assume she is — for all we know, they might not be together at all,’ said Hermione, thoughtfully.

‘How is that possible? They’re together all the time,’ retorted Harry, the feeling of misery creeping inside him. ‘Besides, didn’t you tell me that she doesn’t like me anymore last year?’

Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening her mouth again.

‘Harry, I’ve never said she doesn’t like you anymore — I only said she’s given up on you,’ explained Hermione. ‘And there’s a difference,’ she added as Harry opened his mouth once more. ‘She’s given up on you because you never noticed her before and she knew she’d be wasting her time if she waited for you,’ Hermione finished the sentence bitterly.

Harry nodded ruefully. Hermione was right.

‘But thankfully — now you’ve realized what a great girl she is, you could y’know — fight for her,’ she continued.

Harry drew back slightly, his eyes laid on Hermione.

‘Honestly, you’ve grown closer to her than ever before since the past few weeks,’ Hermione told Harry. ‘She’s been flirting with you, and you didn’t even notice it.’

Harry straightened up. ‘What? No way — she hasn’t been flirting with me,’ denied Harry, though inwardly he wished it was true.

Hermione goggled at him and rolled her eyes.

‘She gave you a Christmas present and she asked you to help her with her homework when she could have easily asked me,’ reasoned Hermione. ‘Harry, Ginny’s like you for years and her face basically brightened whenever you’re around.’

Harry’s heart leaped. He’d seen the sense in what Hermione had said. Besides, Ginny had kissed him unnecessarily. It wasn’t even for good luck or anything. She just did.

‘And if it makes you feel any better — Roger’s no match for you, Harry,’ added Hermione as an afterthought.

Harry sniggered. He wasn’t sure whether Hermione said it because he was her best friend or because it was the truth, but he appreciated it anyhow.

‘Thanks, Hermione,’ said Harry, clasping her hand.

‘Don’t mention it.’

‘And don’t tell Ron, please,’ added Harry, inspiring a nod from Hermione.

A few moments passed in silence before Harry started again.

‘So — what’s going on with you and him?’ asked Harry, breaking the silence.

Hermione cocked her head and her brows shot up.

‘What do you mean? We’re just friends,’ said Hermione, trying hard to sound nonchalant. ‘Pretty much the same — I fight with Ron everyday -’

‘Oh — you meant Ron!’ intercepted Harry, his forehead creased.

‘Then, who else?’

‘Hermione, I was talking about you and Viktor,’ said Harry, giving Hermione a pointed look.

Hermione blushed and looked around awkwardly.

‘I don’t know why you’d thought I was talking about Ron, coz it’s obvious that you have something going on with Viktor — not Ron,’ Harry went on, his eyes looking teasingly at Hermione.

Hermione didn’t say anything. She shifted slightly in her seat, clearly getting uncomfortable with the situation. Harry had to stifle a laugh witnessing this. He continued to stare at her expectantly but few minutes later he gave up.

‘Alright, I won’t force you,’ said Harry, holding both his hands up and waved them briefly.

Hermione smiled at him gratefully.

‘Anyway, Harry — I’m leaving,’ she said, hastily rising to her feet and hurried off.

Harry watched her trudged among the crowd to get out of the Hall. His heart swelled with hope after his conversation with her. Hermione was always right; she was always very good with emotions and feelings — she couldn’t be wrong this time. Harry scanned the crowd for Ginny, but didn’t see her anywhere. Suddenly energized, Harry jumped to his feet and dashed out of the Hall to the Entrance Hall, rushing to get to the Gryffindor Tower. Quite a lot of students were in the Entrance Hall, chatting away. Before Harry could climb the marble staircase, he glimpsed Ginny at a hidden corner. Ginny’s smiling face was glowing. Harry peered closer. The cause of Ginny’s excitement became obvious. Roger Davies was with her. Harry stopped dead in his tracks as Roger leaned closer to her. Harry knew what was coming. Roger kissed Ginny gently.

Harry whirled around at the speed of light. His heart sank. So much of Roger delivering bad news.

‘What do you expect, Potter? Of course he’s going to kiss her. He’s her boyfriend.’ Harry scolded himself.

The sight of Roger kissing Ginny drained all his happiness and hope. Harry stormed up the stairs. Anger spread through his body. He was angry with everyone — Roger, Ginny, Hermione and himself. He was angry with Roger for possessing the girl he likes, angry with Ginny for leading him on — making him think that she still had feelings for him, angry with Hermione for being wrong — dead wrong and mostly he was angry with himself for being a total fool that he was. Harry felt the walls pressed towards him. The corridor to the Gyrffindor Tower somehow seemed narrower and suffocating than he’d ever noticed before.

Entering the deserted common room sick and bad-tempered, Harry saw Ron and Hermione in the middle of a blazing row. Clearly, he wasn’t the only one who was starting to have a bad Christmas. Harry dragged himself to the fireplace and slunk in the armchair. It was sickening; half an hour ago he was perfectly happy discussing the whole thing with Hermione, and now his anger reached new level by every minute.

‘He’s not sweet at all!’ shouted Ron hotly. His face was as red as it could get.

‘Oh yeah? What do you know about that?!’ Hermione shot back, her body trembled with anger.

‘Please shut up….it’s too noisy,’ said Harry mentally. He buried his face in his hands. He wanted to run, yell at the tops of his lungs, bash his head against the wall — anything to erase the image he’d seen.

‘You like him just because he’s famous!’ spat Ron.

‘So what?!’ demanded Hermione heatedly, her voice several decibels louder.

‘Shut up….just shut up…too much noise…’

‘Please, Hermione — you’re little Vicky couldn’t even pronounce your name right!’ yelled Ron. ‘Herm-own-ninny.’

‘Shut up Ron…shut up….’

‘Why do you even CARE, Ron?!

‘THAT’S ENOUGH!’ Harry jumped to his feet. His anger had reached maximum level. Ron and Hermione spun around; surprised at Harry’s outburst.

‘Harry, we -’ Ron began.

‘I’LL TELL YOU WHY HE CARES!,’ cut Harry impatiently, looking sharply at Hermione, ‘BECAUSE HE LIKES YOU — YEAH -,’ Harry turned his attention towards Ron, his index finger pointing straight at him,’ AND YOU! ARE YOU TO BLIND TO SEE THAT SHE REALLY LIKES YOU — THAT’S WHY SHE WROTE LETTER TO VIKTOR IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE — SO YOU’LL GET MAD AT HER AND SHE CAN PRETEND THAT YOU’RE JEALOUS AND THAT YOU ACTUALLY LIKE HER!’ Harry looked back at Hermione and continued in a terrifyingly soft voice, ‘but don’t worry Hermione — he does like you — very much — YEAH -’



Ron gaped, speechless while Hermione crossed her arms over her stomach and gripped her elbows, wincing at every word Harry shouted. The portrait hole opened and Ginny popped through, utterly clueless about the situation.

‘— and now can you guys stop bickering AND LEAVE EVERYONE ELSE IN PEACE!’ Harry spat the last words with the intensity of an exploding grenade.

He spotted Ginny; his expression changed from anger to pain and set off the boys’ stairs.

A stunned silence followed Harry’s departure. Hermione looked down, Ron put his hands in his pockets, working his brain furiously for things to say and Ginny stared at them expectantly.

‘Err…Gin, can you excuse us?’ said Ron, filling the silence.

Ginny shrugged and reluctantly departed to the girls’ common room.

‘Some night Harry’s having,’ said Ron quietly. ‘Honestly, he didn’t have to shout, he could just leave the room.’

Hermione nodded. She continued to watch her feet with much interest.
Awkward silence fell over them once again.

‘Hermione — I ….umm… is it true what Harry said?’ asked Ron finally, running his fingers through his hair absently.

Flush of embarrassment spread over Hermione’s face. Should she nod or shake her head? No — if Ron wasn’t saying, she wasn’t either.

‘Uh — I — It’s late, Ron. I’m going to bed.’

Ron looked crestfallen. He recovered quickly by taking a deep breath.

‘Oh — OK,’ he said, disappointed. Inwardly he swore to himself because his nerve had failed him.

‘What a coward!’ scolded Hermione mentally. She couldn’t believe that Ron was going to let the opportunity past after everything was out in the open. Feeling angered by Ron, she turned on her heels and made her way to the girls’ stairs, sadness filled inside her.

‘Hermione — wait,’ blurted Ron before he could even stopped himself. Ron crossed his fingers. Just get on with it, Ron.

Hermione turned around slowly, restraining herself from getting her hopes high.

‘What, Ron?’

‘Tell me, is it true what Harry said?’ insisted Ron, feeling anxious about what was about to come.

A look of pain flashed over Hermione’s feature and then was gone. She was right for not getting her hopes high. Ron wasn’t going to say it. Hermione studied Ron’s face momentarily and looked away seconds later.

Undeterred by Hermione’s silence, Ron ventured closer to her. Here goes….

‘I — I just want to know if it’s true,’ he went on shakily, but with determination, ‘coz then I can do this to you.’

Hermione didn’t even have time to prepare herself when Ron bent forwards and kissed her gently on the lips. Then he glanced up at her. ‘So, is it true?’

Hermione blushed furiously. Ron had just kissed her. Ron. The boy she had like since…..ever. Hermione bit her lower lip in attempt to restrain herself from jumping with joy. She smiled herself silly and moved restlessly on the ball of her toes. Finally, she nodded.

Ron could believe neither what he just did nor what he just saw. Few seconds ago he was scolding himself for his own boldness, but now glee was coursing through every part of his body that he couldn’t even describe it. He slipped his arms around Hermione nervously and pulled her closer.

‘So - what do we do now?’ asked Hermione quietly, feeling the warmth of Ron’s embrace. She was so happy, happier than when she received twelve OWLs that she felt like she’d float up to the ceiling if Ron let go of her.

‘I think it’s time we do this again,’ said Ron, lifting Hermione’s chin up and kissed her again deeply. Nothing ever felt more right than this.

*


Harry woke up the next morning and peeked through the hanging around his bed to find nobody else in the room. Harry put on his glasses and trudged to the windows. He stared out to the grounds, lost in thoughts. His anger had melted away and left nothing but hurt and shame. He was so used to feeling disappointed and pain, he didn’t even care anymore. But he was ashamed for losing his temper the night before. He didn’t know how to face Ron and Hermione after his unnecessary yelling last night. Besides, he had blurted out things that he knew neither of them would be very happy with him.

At this point, the door swung ajar and Ron walked in. Harry looked at him tentatively, feeling of remorse building inside his throat.

‘Ron -’ Harry managed to croak, ‘- I’m sorry.’

Ron closed the door and stepped forward to his bed.

‘What’s wrong with you?’ he asked, rubbing his neck absently.

Harry wasn’t expecting a question as his reply but he figured that Ron might need an explanation for his behaviour the night before. Harry stooped down and sat on the floor, leaning his back against the wall. He blew his breath slowly, letting himself feel all the emotions he’d been trying to suppress since last night.

‘I dunno — I just wasn’t feeling very good about myself,’ said Harry. Inwardly he cringed at how lame he’d sounded.

‘Wanna talk about it?’ asked Ron earnestly, settling himself next to Harry.

Harry shook his head promptly. He appreciated Ron’s concern, but he was sure he didn’t want to discuss anything about it — at least not to Ron.

‘Look Ron — I’m really sorry about last night, I shouldn’t have yelled,’ said Harry finally in a hoarse whisper.

Ron peered through his fingers to his knees.

‘Harry — I didn’t like the fact that you lashed out on us last night for whatever reason,’ he told Harry, ‘but yesterday was the best Christmas I’ve ever had. And I owe that to you.’ He looked at Harry and grinned broadly.

‘What do you mean? I ruined your night,’ said Harry flatly.

‘No — instead you made it perfect,’ said Ron, still grinning.

Harry watched Ron and had the feeling that Ron had been dying to tell him something but he was letting it slip out slowly for dramatic purpose.

‘What exactly happened after I left?’ demanded Harry curiously.

Ron fidgeted slightly and breathed in deeply.

‘I — I — I kissed Hermione,’ murmured Ron. ‘She and I are together now.’ He finished the words quickly and turned scarlet on the face.

Harry’s jaw dropped. He was so taken aback, so surprised, so shocked, so impressed; he just couldn’t find a word to say.

‘No way,’ he managed to say finally in a voice barely above a whisper.

‘Believe it, mate.’

Harry was bursting with excitement. There were so many feelings swirling inside him, he wasn’t sure what to do — scream joyously or hug Ron or just grin at him — but eventually he laughed. Watching Harry’s positive reaction, Ron felt a great wave of relief as he had been worried about Harry feeling left out. He too burst out laughing.

Harry patted Ron’s back. ‘Good for you, mate,’ he said breathlessly, extending his arm.

Ron reached out his arm and shook Harry’s hand and they laughed some more. Both of them spent the entire morning with Ron confiding Harry with details about the night before.


Harry and Ron descended the boys’ stairs to the packed common room to find Hermione and Ginny resting on a couch, deep in talk. Harry felt his insides squirmed. He wasn’t going to spoil this for Ron. He’d been so happy for him — he won’t let small matter affected his mood. Hermione spotted them and waved.

‘Sit here, Harry,’ called Hermione, patting the space on the seat between her and Ginny.

‘No — it’s alright. I don’t want to be in the way,’ said Harry.

‘You wouldn’t be in the way at all,’ assured Ginny, glancing at Ron who had taken a seat on Hermione’s other side.

Harry would rather sit on the floor than next to Ginny — being so close to her made his heart speed up.

‘Just sit,’ Ginny went on, tapping the seat.

Harry did as he was told, his shoulder brushed Ginny’s and his heart leaped. He could smell Ginny’s hair.

‘Aren’t they just so sweet together, Harry?’ teased Ginny, casting a sidelong glance at Ron and Hermione. Ron was now clasping Hermione’s hands.

Harry smiled and nodded fervently. ‘Sweeter than sugar quills.’

Hermione giggled softly and looked at Ron who had turned scarlet around the ears. He leaned over to give Hermione a peck on the cheek, causing Harry and Ginny to groan collectively.

‘Save it for later, will you?’ said Ginny.

Harry felt slightly annoyed by Ginny’s remark. He thought it was a bit rich coming from her when she herself had been snogging her boyfriend in public. Harry quickly shook the thought from his head. He didn’t want to get all worked up again for this small thing.

They all sat in silence for sometime — Harry observed the common room, looking everywhere but Ginny’s way — Ron and Hermione kept gazing at each other tenderly and blushed.

‘Let’s go for lunch,’ announced Ginny, suddenly.

‘Oh — no, I can’t. I’m going to the library,’ said Ron, rising to his feet.

‘Umm…you meant you and Hermione,’ corrected Ginny uncertainly, gesturing first to Ron and then to Hermione.

‘Aah — yeah,’ agreed Ron, nodding.

Harry and Ginny exchanged mocking grin.

‘Alright — that’s enough. There’s no need to smirk around,’ said Ron, annoyed. ‘I’m just going to help her carry all those enormous books she’s planning to bring in here.’

Hermione quickly got up to her feet and playfully swat Ron’s arm. ‘Those books are important, Ronald.’

Harry and Ginny exchanged another mocking grin.

‘Fine — go on. Mock us. We’re out of here,’ said Ron, slightly amused. He took Hermione’s hand and led her out of the common room.

‘She’s really taking control of him, doesn’t she?’ said Ginny, clearly entertained.

‘Yeah — but he likes it, so it doesn’t matter,’ replied Harry, grinning.

‘So — do you want to go for lunch?’ asked Ginny again.

‘No — that’s alright. I’m not hungry,’ said Harry kindly. He was not going to go down and have lunch with Ginny only to have Roger came and claimed her away right under his nose.

Ginny shrugged. ‘Alright, then. See you later.’ And she disappeared from the common room.

*


‘Listen up, everyone,’ addressed Harry, ‘we’ve trained hard, we have the best players — and I meant everyone — the Keeper, Chasers and Beaters - ’

‘And only the best Seeker Hogwarts ever had,’ cut Ron, grinning at Harry.

‘Ah — yeah,’ said Harry, embarrassed. ‘Anyway, I know we’re going to win this, we can do it — no excuse. So, we’re going to go out there and beat them!’

‘Yeah! We will!’ chorused the rest of the team.

It was the day for the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. The match Harry had been anticipating more than anything since Christmas. He couldn’t wait to beat Ravenclaw, to see Roger’s reaction when their team led by him lost to Gryffindor Team led by Harry. All through the rest of the Christmas breaks, Harry had managed to dodge Hermione’s inquiries about his outburst. He didn’t want to talk about it so he came up with a lot of excuses. But today, he was going to let his emotions run free, he was going to show Roger who was better — and only when he had done that, he wouldn’t feel so bitter about the whole situation with Ginny. He knew he’d to play much better than he had ever before — not just because he wanted to win but because Ravenclaw Seeker, Cho Chang definitely won’t let him win easily, not after what had happened between them.


So, the match started. Fifteen brooms rose up, high in the air. Harry could hear the crowd chanting. Harry felt the burning desire inside him. He couldn’t lose the match — it wasn’t going to happen. Harry scanned around for the sight of the Snitch. Occasionally, he shouted at Jack Sloper for missing the Bludger, resulting in Ginny getting hit by it. After another great save by Ron and Ginny’s fourth goal, Harry was getting restless. He watched Cho Chang’s movements. Making sure she didn’t spot the snitch first. Gryffindor was leading at the moment with ninety to seventy. He did a couple of rollover, circled the game and then back to concentrate on finding the Snitch. It was after he dodged a speeding Bludger that missed his head a good couple of inches, that he saw it. The Golden Snitch. In a great rush of excitement, Harry soared up higher after the golden ball. Harry caught a glimpse of all the Chasers stopped mid-air to watch. Cho Chang seemed to have noticed the Snitch too but Harry was far ahead; putting an extra spurt of speed.

‘A couple more inches,’ said Harry mentally, stretching out his arm as far as he could, opening his fingers widely.

Harry felt the gush of wind slapping his face, ‘Come on…faster...’ Before he knew it, he had closed his hand, feeling the fluttering round ball in it. The crowd was silent. Harry saw the rest of Gryffindor team raised their arm in victory. And then it registered. They won! Harry waved the snitch high above his head and the crowd exploded.

Chaos erupted all around them. Gryffindor spectators stormed the pitch, cheering and screaming their lungs out while Ravenclaw supporters were jeering and booing. The Gryffindor team sped down towards the ground, jumped off from their brooms and hugged each other; hopping up and down madly. Ron walked over to Harry, his face glowing.

‘Great catch,’ he told Harry, slapping him hard on the back.

‘You played great too,’ said Harry, catching the sight of Ginny coming over to him. He took a deep breath, trying to slow his pulse and not looked too pleased with himself.

‘Good play, Potter,’ said a voice that definitely wasn’t Ginny’s.

Harry swore inwardly and whirled around slowly. Roger Davies had appeared behind Harry smiling genuinely, extending his arm towards him. Harry scrutinized his face momentarily and ignored this gesture. He quickly made his way back to the castle. He didn’t know why he did it, it was just sort of happened — it was like an impulse reaction — when you saw someone you don’t like, you just didn’t go and shook his hand. Besides, Harry was annoyed that Roger didn’t become the sore loser he had expected him to be. Harry realized how immature his action was, but there was nothing he could have done. And Harry was aware that Ginny saw everything; maybe she too was thinking that he had acted immaturely. Harry quickened his pace to the castle; he noticed Ginny on his heels the entire way.

‘Harry — wait,’ she called out, catching up with him, ‘why did you do that?’

‘Here goes — stick up for the boyfriend,’ muttered Harry angrily under his breath. He was right — Ginny obviously thought his behaviour was immature and unacceptable.

‘It’s kind of rude, y’know,’ she went on, clearly missing what Harry had said.

If Ginny was going to take Roger’s side, Harry wasn’t going to make it easier for her.

‘We won and Roger just wanted to congratulate you -’

‘I know,’ Harry snapped.

Noticing Harry’s tone, Ginny hesitantly opened her mouth once more.

‘What’s wrong? You’ve been acting rather weird lately -’

‘Oh yeah — of course, I’m the Boy Who Lived, remember? Of course I’m weird — always the weird one,’ cut Harry sarcastically as he walked inside the Entrance Hall, not bothering to look at Ginny.

‘I seriously don’t know what’s wrong with you, Harry — you got some problems with your temper — you might want to check on that,’ said Ginny angrily, turning towards the Great Hall.

Harry glanced behind and watched Ginny stomped angrily to the Great Hall. He immediately regretted his harsh behaviour towards Ginny. Harry climbed the marble staircase slowly; completely forgotten about dinner. It wasn’t Ginny’s fault that she decided to date Roger. It wasn’t Roger’s fault for wanting to date Ginny as any boy who knew Ginny would want to be her boyfriend because she’s pretty, smart and funny. It definitely wasn’t anyone’s fault that Ginny was not his. It was entirely his fault. Why did everything has to go wrong?

*


Harry walked downstairs to the common room to loud, exciting cheers from his fellow Gryffindors. Scarlet banners hung high and everyone was clutching Butterbeers; celebrating Gryffindor’s win against Ravenclaw.

‘Harry — we missed you at dinner,’ said Dean as Harry passed him.

‘I wasn’t very hungry,’ replied Harry, scanning around the room for Ginny.

‘Here — have some Butterbeer,’ said Dean, tossing Harry a bottle of Butterbeer.

Harry caught it and opened the bottle. As he took a sip from the bottle, he saw Ginny in an armchair by the fire; alone. Harry slowly made his way towards Ginny but before he could reach there, Hermione grabbed his shoulder and turned him around.

‘What did you do to her?’ demanded Hermione angrily, looking at him straight in the eye.

‘Nothing,’ replied Harry defensively.

‘Don’t lie — she’s been really upset at dinner,’ retorted Hermione, scowling at him.

‘OK — I said something,’ admitted Harry ruefully. ‘But it wasn’t like bad things or insults,’ he added quickly as Hermione widened her eyes in disbelief, ‘I was just kind of harsh.’

‘Well then go talk to her and apologize,’ urged Hermione, exasperated.

Harry nodded and watched Hermione hurried over to Ron who was engaged in a game of chess with Seamus before he walked closer to Ginny. Ginny seemed to notice him as she shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

‘Hey,’ said Harry awkwardly, ‘can I join you?’

Ginny nodded in silence. Harry pulled a chair and sat beside Ginny.

‘Umm….you played good today,’ said Harry conversationally before he inwardly cringed. Get a grip. She played great every time.

Ginny glanced at him and smile wistfully.

‘Ginny — I’m sorry about earlier, I didn’t mean to be rude,’ said Harry earnestly.

Ginny eyed him suspiciously before exhaling deeply.

‘It’s fine, Harry.’

Her tone was soft and sincere which relieved Harry.

‘I just don’t know what were you so upset about,’ she went on after a moment.

Harry swallowed hard and stared down to his feet. There was so much he wanted to say, to explain to Ginny. He wanted to tell her about his feelings for her — how he loved spending time with her and how he always had a sickening feeling in his stomach every time he saw her with Roger. But Harry just couldn’t make the words came out.

‘Do you want to go have a walk outside?’ asked Ginny uncertainly. ‘I can’t stand the noise any longer.’

Harry realized that Ginny was letting him off. She had noticed his reluctance.

‘Sure,’ he replied, grateful for Ginny’s understanding.

As they slipped out from the common room, Harry glimpsed Hermione eyeing them over Ron’s shoulder. Harry and Ginny strolled along the corridor; slow and quiet. A couple of fifth-years passed them and waved. Ginny waved back and smiled; they were her friends. Inwardly Harry prayed that Roger would not suddenly appear out of nowhere and took Ginny away from him. Harry immediately felt ashamed with himself. If he at least wanted to be friends with Ginny, he would have to respect her choice and decision. He wouldn’t want to put her in a position — having to choose between him and Roger. Harry rubbed his stiffed neck absently and let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

‘It’s time for you to back out gracefully, Potter,’ he told himself.

‘So -’ Harry began, ‘how was it playing against Roger?’

Ginny looked at him briefly and pressed her lips together.

‘Umm….,’ she started, considering the matter, ‘it was great. He is an excellent player.

‘Did at any point of the game, he just let you win against him?’ asked Harry, prompting Ginny to shake her head.

‘No — he wouldn’t do that. I won’t let him anyway,’ she replied, ‘Roger would knock me off my broom if he had to. Well, he’d knock anyone off to win.’

Harry was impressed. He remembered the time when he had played against Cho Chang; he cared too much about pushing her or knocking her off that Oliver Wood practically had to yell at him. If she was his girlfriend, he’d probably pretended to be sick so he wouldn’t have to play against her.

‘But maybe he won’t do that if he was to play against his girlfriend,’ Ginny went on, grinning, ‘he’s such a gentleman you’d thought he was under an enchantment or something.’

Harry racked his brain trying to make sense of what Ginny said.

‘Then, why did you say he’d knock you off?’

‘Because I’m not his girlfriend,’ answered Ginny promptly.

Harry stopped walking abruptly and turned to face Ginny.

‘You — you’re not?’

Ginny nodded. Harry’s heart skipped before his stomach gave an unpleasant lurch.

‘But — but I saw you two kissing the other day,’ said Harry hesitantly, suddenly worried that Ginny would say she was actually Roger’s girlfriend and that she was just kidding about the whole thing.

‘At the Entrance Hall?

Harry gave small nod before facing forward and started walking again.

‘He was just thanking me -’

‘With his lips locked with yours?’ cut Harry impatiently, misery filled inside him.

‘He was very happy and it was a just a swift kiss — that was his way of showing how much he appreciated my help. There wasn’t any emotional connection,’ explained Ginny patiently.

Harry didn’t response. So many things were going through his head and he had a sinking feeling in his stomach.

‘Have you been thinking that I’m dating Roger?’ asked Ginny, eyeing Harry shrewdly.

‘Not just me — Ron and Hermione too,’ said Harry truthfully.

‘I’ve thought so. That’s the whole point anyway,’ remarked Ginny.

‘What do you mean?’

‘Well — actually Roger wanted to get back together with his previous girlfriend. So, I helped him,’ said Ginny, tugging her hair gently.

‘By being his girlfriend?’ asked Harry rather miserably. ‘Don’t be so pathetic,’ he scolded himself.

‘By pretending to be his girlfriend,’ corrected Ginny, as they descended a staircase heading to the Entrance Hall. ‘But no — not exactly. Originally, I was just supposed to give him advices and help him make plans to try getting his girl back.’

Harry glimpsed at Ginny briefly.

Ginny continued slowly, ‘But then, some of his friends from the Quidditch Team started spreading rumours that I’m dating him and one of them told me that his ex-girlfriend was jealous — so Roger and I decided that we’d just play along until that girl comes back to him.’ Ginny let out a breath and smile reminiscently.

Harry felt his heart ballooned.

‘So — you’re not with Roger?’

‘No.’

Harry blinked rapidly and felt that his heart would explode anytime soon. Blood was rushing to his cheek and heat creeping inside him. Harry suddenly felt warm though the night was cold.

‘But why did you want to help Roger? He isn’t even our friend.’

‘Well — he isn’t yours, but he is my friend,’ Ginny pointed out. ‘When I was with Michael, Roger was very nice and friendly to me. And we’d always discuss about Quidditch and he’d give me some friendly tips about scoring goals.’

Ginny paused and glanced at Harry briefly.

‘So when he said he needed my help — I was more than willing to help him.’

‘So now Roger’s back with his girlfriend?’

‘Yeah.’

Harry was suddenly consumed with proud and tenderness towards Ginny that he felt like giving her a big hug. Ginny was such a total sport and a feeling of shame tugged at Harry as he remembered his rude action towards Roger earlier when he was just being friendly and supportive.

‘I think it’s funny that his girlfriend should be jealous of me,’ Ginny went on, bringing Harry back to present ‘I mean, she’s really pretty — Roger would definitely choose her over anyone. Compared to her, maybe I’m just — vaguely attractive.’ Ginny finished the sentence and grinned, prompting Harry to shake his head fervently.

‘Vaguely attractive? You’re beautiful,’ he blurted before turning really red on the cheek.

Ginny blushed. ‘You don’t mean that.’

‘Of course I do.’

Ginny gazed at him and her grin lengthened.

‘Thank you. That’s really sweet.’

Harry noticed that her big brown eyes were sparkling. Her eyes were so inviting that he could melt into them. With her long red hair framing her face and her lips curled in a smile, Harry knew what he’d said was true. She was absolutely beautiful to behold. Under the dimmed light at the Entrance Hall, Harry could see that Ginny’s smiling lips trembled slightly. Harry realized his heart was throbbing against his ribs. He smiled at her with all the feelings he could muster and took a step closer. He ran his fingers along Ginny’s cheek and wave of excitement rushed through his body. He felt butterflies forming in his stomach and for a split second, he thought he’d done the wrong thing and hesitated from going any further. Ron was going to kill him. He paused and leaned forward and tilted his head slightly. She was so close now, so close that Harry felt dizzy from the sweet fragrance of her hair. He saw Ginny had closed her eyes and then their lips touched. The kiss took the breath from the back of his throat, to his heart and down to his toes. Forget Ron — I like his sister too much.. Everything felt so right. When they finally parted, Harry knew not even winning the Quidditch Cup could top the kiss they shared.

*


Monologue

HERMIONE GRANGER


Ron’s perfect! Even though he’s a bit lazy and insensitive, he’s still perfect! He’s mine — all mine. He looks so cute with his ruffled hair and I love it when he plays chess coz he has this serious look on his face. Ron makes me happy!

And as for Harry, I’m thrilled everything turned out great. I couldn’t be happier for him. I guess we’re all one happy group of people….

RON WEASLEY


What have I done to deserve the beautiful and smart Hermione? I’m still slapping myself just to make sure I’m not in a dream or something. She’s perfect! Though she’s bossy sometimes and keeps nagging me to do my homework, she’s still perfect! Actually I kinda like it when she bossed me around. And did I mention that she’s really pretty when she gets mad? Hermione makes me happy!

As for Harry….I’m still debating. I guess it’s great that Ginny’s not with that git, Roger…I dunno…. Maybe it’s going to be fun. ‘Mione and me, Harry and Ginny — hey it rhymes…!

HARRY POTTER


Ginny, Ginny, Gin… What an excellent day! We won the match and I got Ginny!! I’m still feeling a little bit dizzy. I’m such an idiot to think that she was actually dating Roger…I mean, he’s OK and everything…but I guess Ginny likes me better! I can’t wait to see her and ki….. cuddle her. I hope she’ll appear in my dream.

As for Ron’s approval…I dunno. He didn’t seem mad, but who knows? He’d probably hex me when I’m sleeping. But I don’t think he’d do that. I’m his best friend — I’ll take of his sister, he knows I will…..

GINNY WEASLEY


Harry, Harry, Harry….What a worth of waiting! I’ll be dreaming of him tonight….He made me feel dizzy….I wanna cuddle him….!

As for Ron…. I don’t care. I just hope he doesn’t hex Harry in his sleep or something. I mean, he can’t be that selfish — he’s got Hermione…let me have Harry…











Reviews 3
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear