Search:

SIYE Time:18:44 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Rêver: To Dream
By Canis Junkie

- Text Size +

Category: Dream Adventure Challenge (2005-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, Humor, General, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 15
Summary: While discussing their dreams for the future, Harry and Ginny reveal their feelings toward each other. Written for the Dream Challenge. Songfic of "How Long" by Dream.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4698







ChapterPrinter


Rêver: To Dream


“No question about it, I’d want to play in the Quidditch World Cup.”

“Oh, please, Ron,” Ginny Weasley huffed. “That’s so underrated. I’m talking about dreams. You know, as in no limits, anything goes.”

The final compartment was more full than usual as the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry sped toward King’s Cross Station. It was the end-of-term, and Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Luna, and, surprisingly, Seamus and Lavender, were all sitting in the last compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

“Oh. Well then…I’ve got nothing. Let me think about it for a few minutes.”

Ginny gave Hermione a look that said, ‘I can’t believe you’re dating my brother.’ Near Christmas last year, right in the middle of another huge row about Hermione’s relationship with Viktor Krum, Ron had suddenly let it slip that he had feelings for her. Five minutes later, the two were sitting on a sofa in front of the common room fire, snogging madly. Since then, the two had been practically inseparable. The fact that they were both Prefects made it that much easier to spend time together; in fact, within two days of getting together, rumours had been flying about the two shagging in the bathtub of the Prefect’s Bathroom.

“Hey, you have to answer, too,” Lavender said to Ginny. “You can’t just ask us all and expect us not to make you tell us your dream.”

Ginny smiled. “I’ll go last. I want to hear everyone else’s first.”

Harry noticed a bit of mischief in the smile gracing Ginny’s features. He was probably the only person outside of the Weasley clan who could tell the difference between Ginny’s smiles. In fact, he could tell her mood just by looking at the set of her mouth. Not to say that her mouth was the only part of her he knew well; over the past year, ever since Sirius’s tragic accident at the Ministry, Harry had been watching Ginny very closely. She had revealed yet another side of herself that night, much to Harry’s amazement. He’d had no idea she was so multi-dimensional, and he loved that about her. Actually, he loved everything about her.

“Are you kidding? I was soaked to the bone!” Seamus said loudly to Lavender, jerking Harry out of his reverie. “The gauge was broken, so I couldn’t tell that the water pressure was too high, and the pipe burst.” Harry realized that Seamus was talking about his misadventures with Muggle plumbing during Muggle Studies class earlier in the year.

“Harry? What’s your deepest dream?” Neville asked suddenly. “Luna, Lavender and I have already gone.”

“Hmm? Oh, mine. Right. Let’s see…” Harry thought for a moment. “I guess my greatest dream isn’t all that ‘great,’ but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. If there were no limits, I would want to have the perfect family life. I would have a good job, get married, and have children: a boy named James, and a little girl named Lily, who I could spoil and care for. James would be just like me in his love for Quidditch and penchant for mischief.” He looked over at his friends and winked. “And Lily would be just like her mother and grandmother: strong, vibrant, and exceedingly beautiful.” He slyly glanced at Ginny, imagining her as his wife and the mother of his children. He smiled. “We would do all the family stuff: go on picnics, spend Christmas visiting relatives, things like that. James would probably play tricks on Lily, but Lily would know exactly how to get revenge. And, of course, my wife and I would have to step in occasionally to keep them from killing each other, but we would all be one happy family.” Harry looked up from his musings to see Lavender close to tears.

“Oh, Harry, that is such a wonderful dream!” she gushed, wiping her eyes. “I always forget that you didn’t grow up in a normal family life.”

Ginny placed her hand on Harry’s arm. “Thank you for sharing that with us, Harry,” she said softly. She turned to everyone else. “This is what I’m trying to get everyone to do. I think that if we all share a little bit of ourselves, it’ll make us closer and stronger. If there’s one thing Tom doesn’t understand and cannot bear, it’s love. Love is what saved Harry when he was a baby, and love is what will save humanity in these dark days.”

“Well said, Ginny,” Hermione replied, nodding.

“Hey, I figured out my dream!” Ron suddenly interrupted. Hermione shot him an annoyed look, and the tips of his ears turned red. “Sorry, Ginny. Anyway, here’s my dream: that the Chudley Cannons would discover me because of my superior Keeper skills, and I would spend the summer at the Cannons’ training camp. In the fall, I would be privately tutored while playing Quidditch and leading the Cannons to their first League win in one hundred five years!”

“Ron, I think you should have gone to St. Mungo’s after taking that Bludger to the head during the Quidditch final,” Ginny said with a laugh. “I don’t think Madam Pomfrey fixed you very well.”

“Madam Pomfrey did a fine job! How can you slander her like that after all she’s done for us?” Ron asked in mock horror.

“I have great respect for Madam Pomfrey,” Ginny responded. “I just think that you need to go to St. Mungo’s because you’ve always been a bit touched in the head. You could share a room with Lockhart.”

Harry chuckled as he saw Ron’s face blanche and his ears grow redder. “Good one, Gin,” he said.

Lavender and Seamus shot him an odd look. “Since when do you call her ‘Gin’, Harry?” Seamus asked.

“Since now,” Harry responded calmly, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back into his seat. In truth, his heart was pounding with nervousness: he hadn’t meant to let that slip. He’d been daydreaming about Ginny, and in his mind he had been calling her by the pet name.

Ginny wasn’t miffed, however. “Well then, if I’m Gin, you’re going to have to be ‘Har’ from now on,” she said, leaning back and mimicking his pose.

Hermione and Lavender seemed to think the scene was quite adorable because they shared a “look”. Fortunately for Harry, Seamus, Neville, and Ron were blissfully unaware of any flirting between Harry and Ginny, and Luna was, well, Luna. She was twirling her wand between her fingers while reading the latest edition of the Quibbler--again, it was upside-down. With a small sigh, Harry once again fell into his thoughts while the others discussed Seamus and Hermione’s dreams.

A few minutes later, Lavender suddenly exclaimed, “Ginny! It’s your turn! You’re the only one who hasn’t said her dream yet.”

Ginny’s cheeks blushed slightly. “All right. Well, see, I don’t exactly want to tell you.”

“But you have to!” Hermione said.

“No, I mean, I won’t tell you. I heard a Muggle song while I was in Ottery St. Catchpole during Christmas break, and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head. It actually fits my dream really well, so I’m going to sing it.”

Hermione and Lavender giggled and cooed over Ginny, telling her that it was a brilliant idea, and that she was a great singer. After a few moments, Ginny cleared her throat, closed her eyes, and began singing softly.

“There’s a place in my heart
That I go when I dream
A place that nobody can see
Every night I see love
I see someone who’s waiting
Waiting for someone like me

“He must be out there
Somewhere
Someone for me

“Tell me how long
Till I’m not just dreaming
How long
Till somebody cares
How long
Till I meet an angel
And give him my heart
When can I start
How long till I fall in love

“Ohhh

“I sit every night
By my window just wishing
And searching for one perfect star
Can anyone hear me
Oh moon if you’re listening
Please send him right here to my arms

“He must be out there
Somewhere
Waiting for me
Tell me just how long will it be

“Tell me how long
Till I’m not just dreaming
How long
Till somebody cares
How long
Till I meet an angel
And give him my heart
When can I start
How long till I fall in love

“I’ve always believed that my dreams would come true
That one of these nights he’d appear he’d be here in my arms
I see it all so clearly how it could be
I wish he was kissing me now

“Tell me how long
Till I’m not just dreaming
How long
Till somebody cares
How long
Till I meet my angel
And give him my heart
When can I start
How long till I fall in love”


As Ginny fell silent, she opened her eyes to see everyone staring at her with amazement in his or her eyes, respectively. But no one seemed more shocked than Harry, which surprised her more than anything. She would never tell anyone, but she’d never really gotten over Harry. Sure, she’d given up on him a long time ago, but she’d always carry a torch for the messy-haired, emerald-eyed young man. In fact, the song-and her dream-was about Harry, as far as she was concerned. Now, she was staring at her with wonder and--was that love?--in his eyes. Ginny was so astonished by this that she squeaked, jumped up from her seat, and bolted from the compartment.

A moment later, Ron turned to Harry, having finally realized what the look on his best mate’s face meant. “You like her, don’t you?” Too surprised by the calmness in Ron’s voice to lie, Harry simply nodded. Ron roughly shoved him toward the door. “Then go after her, you daft git!”

“Right,” Harry said stupidly, standing and following Ginny’s footsteps. He didn’t have to go far to find her: she was sitting in the only other empty compartment, which happened to be right down the aisle. He slipped through the door and sat down next to her. “Well, this is nice, isn’t it? Very quiet, and peaceful.”

“Go away, Harry,” Ginny said none too convincingly.

Harry smiled. “You see, Gin, I can’t exactly do that.”

“And why ever not, Har?” Ginny asked, putting special emphasis on the nickname.

“Because…” He leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear, “I’ve been waiting for someone for a long time, Ginny. I just didn’t realize that I was waiting for someone like you.”

“Oh, Harry, you figured out that my dream is about you?”

“With Ron’s help,” he admitted. “He was the one who told me to come after you in the first place.”

“Really? He wasn’t upset?”

“Not that I could tell. But he may try to kill me when we get back.”

“Well then, we should take advantage of the time we have left,” Ginny said.

Harry smiled. “All right. But if Ron asks, you knew where my hands were. They were in plain sight the whole time.”

“Got it.” And with that, Harry leaned down and kissed Ginny for all he was worth, receiving the same in return. A few minutes later, the two broke apart, gasping as they remembered that they needed to breathe.

“Hey, Gin?” Harry asked, feeling invincible.

“Yes?” she replied.

“Let’s go torture the ferret.” Harry stood and ran out of the compartment, Ginny at his heels. He let out a joyous whoop, and Ginny laughed loudly as they raced through the train, looking for Malfoy.

~~~

A few minutes after Harry left the compartment, Luna noticed two blurs race past the compartment door, followed by a whoop and a shriek of laughter. The first was black; the second…well, it was red. Weasley hair red.

Fin


A/N: Wow! This is my first real H/G one-shot (I have a cookie posted on the HMS Orange Crush thread on Fiction Alley Park). I hope everyone likes it.

Bonus Phrases used in the story:
Are you kidding? I was soaked to the bone!
The gauge was broken so I couldn’t tell.
I have great respect for Madam Pomfrey.
You knew where my hands were.
It was red. Weasley hair red.
Reviews 15
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear