Search:

SIYE Time:0:17 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Sickle For Your Thoughts
By Rianna

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama, Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 11
Summary: The was was over. It was the night of Harry's graduation from Hogwarts, and everything in the world should be right. So why did he feel like that? Songfic to Lifehouse's "You and Me"
Hitcount: Story Total: 4528







ChapterPrinter


You and Me

What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time


I sat alone by the lake, in the exact same spot where, four years previous, I fought off a dozen dementors to save Sirius and myself. I should be at the party in Gryffindor tower, where, most likely, Ron and Seamus were spiking the punch with firewhiskey and trying to get all the girls to drink it. Hermione, as Head Girl for another two days, would probably be telling them off, while still being lightheaded. Pretty soon someone is going to realize I'm not there and they'll come down in search of me. But until then, I'll sit here, by the lake, thinking about everything. Two weeks ago, to this very hour, I defeated Lord Voldemort. Just as the prophecy claimed, I had to kill him. Everyone knew that it was the love that I had inside of me that caused me to defeat him. But no one, save for Dumbledore and me, knew exactly what love I used.

When he possessed me that night, I was able to use memories of the past, of times when I truly felt loved, to completely obliviate his existence. I thought about the time when I thought I was going to live with Sirius, and when I had seen my parents in the Mirror and when Ron risked his life to save me during the attack on the Burrow (but he didn't even get a scratch). Yet as I thought these, I began to grow weaker and weaker. I thought that this was the end of me. But just as this fateful thought came to me, I heard a voice. It was a very familiar voice. I soon realized it was mine. I saw myself, five years younger, in my mind, kneeling next to a young girl with bright red hair. I tried to make sense of it, because the blinding pain of having Voldemort inside my very being was taking most of my power and energy. I faintly heard myself, pleading with the fallen form before me.

'Ginny! Please don't be dead! Wake up!'

Suddenly, her face appeared in my mind. I could see her chocolate brown eyes, and her bright red hair.

I clung to the image, desperately trying to make it stronger and stronger. I could feel myself regaining my strength. As I felt the last of Voldemort's twisted soul leaving my body, I saw her kneeling above me, willing me to live.

Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you


Ever since I woke up in the Hospital wing two days later, she was all I could think of. Over the years I had come to think of Ginny as a good friend, as well as my confidante. She was the closest person to knowing all my secrets. Ever since my sixth year, when Ron and Hermione began dating, she was the only person I had to talk to when I would awake during the night from having those horrid dreams. But never, ever had I imagined I would love her.

She was sitting next to my bed, along with Ron and Hermione, both asleep, when I awoke. She began crying, hugging my neck and telling me how glad she was that I was alive. She made like she was going to awake Ron and Hermione, but I stopped her. I told her to hold my hand, and she did. We sat there for the longest, our fingers intertwined, until Madam Pomfrey bustled in. She quickly let go, and Madam Pomfrey shreiked so loud that it awoke Ron and Hermione, who were sleeping in a conjured chintz armchair. Hermione, too, began crying, and Ron was beaming from ear to ear. Madam Pomfrey rushed to get Dumbledore, while Ron quickly wrote a letter to his parents and the twins telling them I was okay. He sent it by Hedwig, who was sitting in her cage on the table next to me (no doubt on Dumbledore's orders). I put on my glasses and realized that on a tall black perch next to my bed, stood Fawkes, who looked like he had just been reborn. I felt a stabbing pain in my arm, and he immediately came and cried a single, crystal tear, and the gash instantly was gone. Soon the entire room was filled with people wringing my hand and hugging me and crying, and I just needed to get out. I carefully slipped out of the room, feeling surprisingly strong. I began walking down the corridor, quietly, and nearly turned the corner before realizing that I was being followed. I cursed under my breath, but when I turned around, I found Ginny, a few feet away. Slowly my anger melted away as I looked into her eyes, which looked like they lacked sleep. But soon I remembered the last thing I thought about before defeating him, and I turned my head in shame.

"I saw you walk out. Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yeah. I just needed to be away, is all. You can understand..." I said.

She laughed slightly. "I can. Would you mind some company?"

I nodded, and, silently, we began to walk down the flights of stairs, until reaching the Great Hall. She eyed me curiously, but I beckoned with my hands. We walked out of the double doors, and onto the grounds.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

I just grabbed her hand, and led her down to the spot where I sit now.

She sat next to me, too close to be polite, but just far enough to make me long to touch her face.

"This is where you fought off the dementors." she said.

"How did you know?"

"I guessed."

It was silent again. I looked over at her, and she looked at me.

I knew she saw the fear in my eyes. She laid her hand over mine, and, with that, I started to cry.

All of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right
I'm tripping on words
You've got my head spinning
I don't know where to go from here


I remembered the night so clearly. I cried on her shoulders for over an hour, until I saw the golden glint of sunrise on the water. We got up, and she hugged me tight. I never wanted to let her go.

Just as I began losing myself in thoughts of her again, I heard a rustling behind me.

I started, and wasn't entirely surprised when I saw Ginny standing behind me. I calmed down, and she silently strode over to the spot where I sat.

"A sickle for your thoughts?" she asked. I nodded, and she came and sat beside me.

"How'd you know?" I asked her.

"You always seem to escape here" she said, and I nodded again.

I thought about all the things I wanted to say to her. I wanted to tell her she was all I thought about, that I needed her. That I loved her. Over the last two weeks, I came to realize that the reason I thought about her that night was because I love her. Don't ask me why I knew it so well, or what brought this on. I just knew. I had fallen in love with her ages ago, and I just didn't want to deal with it. I used Cho as a way to stop myself from thinking of her, and later used Susan Bones from Hufflepuff. I think Susan knew all along, and the night we broke up, after only two months of dating, she told me that she thought I spent too much time with Ginny. I should have seen it then. But I saw it now. And I also saw her, sitting beside me, her arms holding her legs and her heart on her sleeve. She looked over at me and smiled. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It wasn't just a smile, it was a smile that told me, somehow, that everything would be alright. I wanted to kiss her. I needed to. But I didn't.

"You seem troubled. What's on your mind."

She had asked the question a million times, but it hit me this time, and it was much more startling than my gradual realization of my love for her. I, truly, was in love with her.

Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you


We sat in silence for a long time. That was one thing that I treasured about our relationship. There was an unspoken communication between us. We knew when the other wanted to talk, and we knew when they didn't. I loved the silences we shared, and how we didn't have to fill our time together with useless words. But this time, it felt different to me. The silence wasn't enough to explain the wonderful and horrible thing I was feeling right now. And words would never be. I fretted about this for some time. How could I explain it. What if she was scared off? What if she didn't understand? What if she didn't feel the same?

The last what-if surprised me. What if? Why did I think she did?

She knows everything about you
, I argued.

But she doesn't know this.

You don't know that.


The arguement in my mind went on and on. I put my hands over my ears, trying to stop myself from leading myself into the inevitable dead end. She doesn't love me. Not like I love her.

I wanted to cry. It was true. At this time, she was dating Colin Creevy. They were very happy. Ron told me that on Christmas Break, he cought them kissing under the mistletoe.

And why would she love me? I wasn't good-looking, I wasn't particularly romantic, I didn't have anything good about me at all, except for my quidditch skills.

But petty things like that weren't what made me love her. I loved her because of the way she listened to me, and the way she understood me better than anyone else, and the nights we spent talking about everything-life, friendship, the War.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't realize that she was up until I felt the coldness by my side.

"Ginny!" I said.She turned around. "Why are you leaving?"

"I thought you wanted to be alone." she said.

"Why would you think that?"

She looked puzzled.

"Do you want me to stay?"

I walked over to her and grabbed her hand.

"More than you can imagine."

There's something about you now
I can't quite figure out
Everything she does is beautiful
Everything she does is right


She looked from my face to my hand, back and forth, four times.

"Harry? Are you alright?"

I considered my answer.

"No, I'm not. I haven't been since that night."

"I can understand, Harry. It would be draining, you know, defeating the Dark Lord and-"

"I don't mean that night. I mean the night in the Chamber of Secrets."

"What? Harry, that was years ago! You're not making sense."

"Of course I'm not."

She looked scared, and from the look in her eyes, I knew she knew.

"Why?"

The words weren't forming right in my mind. So I did the only logical thing at the time.

I kissed her.

Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you
and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you


She kissed me back. I felt my fear slipping away, slowly, with every minute that passed. I forgot everything about Voldemort and Hogwarts and the lake and the forest and everything else. All I knew, at that perfect moment, was that I was the luckiest man alive. I was holding Ginny Weasley in my arms, kissing her, but, better yet, she was kissing me back. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that Ron and Hermione and the rest of them were looking for me, but I didn't care.

After what seemed like eternity, but didn't seem long enough, we finally broke apart. She stood in front of me, close enought for me to count every freckle on her face.

"What I meant to tell you, which I think you understand, is that I love you, Ginny. I love with all my heart and soul, and I know that I'm seven years too late, and that you probably don't feel the same and that I'm unworthy of your love, but I still love you."

She silently looked at me, as if it were the first time she had ever seen me.

"I'm out on a limb here, Gin."

She laughed, more to herself than anything.

"You're right about one thing. You are seven years too late. But you're also wrong."

"I'm wrong?" I asked, feeling utterly confused.

"I do feel the same, Harry." she kissed me again, this one quicker. "And I don't think there's anyone in the world that deserves my love more than you."

What day is it?
And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive


We walked back up to the Gryffindor Tower hand-in-hand. I knew that there were still more battles to fight, and that everyone's drunken reactions would be a bit much. But I also knew that, whatever came along, I would always, always, have her.

A/N: I just loooovvvveeee fluff. This is my favorite story I've ever written, and rightfully so, because it took me three week to write. I absolutely ADORE Lifehouse and their new song and album. And you should too. GO AND BUY IT NOW!!!!!
Reviews 11
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear