Search:

SIYE Time:15:55 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Year To Remember
By littleWoNdErFuL

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 124
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Harry Potter is dying after a final battle with Voldemort. Ginny Weasley visits him at St. Mungo's, and confesses her true feelings for him. She falls asleep on his hospital bed, and flashes back to the year that was. Come along as Ginny experiences emotions that she never knew before, and goes through great lengths all for the one boy she loves... Please read to find out more, and don't forget to review! This story was written pre-HBP, and is now being considered AU.
Hitcount: Story Total: 56220; Chapter Total: 2840







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Hermione came back the day after Christmas. Her excuse was that she needed a suitable place to finish off her holiday homework, but the look that she was giving Ron as she explained this to the three of them told Ginny otherwise. She had wanted to be with Ron.

Ginny was quite glad about Hermione’s returning. As much as she enjoyed being with Harry, she rather missed the company of another girl. Plus, she could not wait to tell Hermione about the necklace, and to thank her for the diary.

“So, Hermione,” Harry asked that evening, as the four of them sat in the common room, “did you have a good Christmas?”

“Oh yes! And thank you for the gifts, too, by the way. I love them all!” she responded happily. Then Ron, Harry, and Ginny in turn thanked Hermione for the gifts she had sent them.

“And I forgot to tell you two,” Ron began, looking at Ginny and Harry, “but now that Hermione’s back I’ll tell her, too, that Fred and George mailed me. They said that they were requesting to Dumbledore if he wouldn’t mind them testing out a new product over the holiday on the school grounds. They said they needed a big space, and since there are only six of us here, it would be safe.” Hermione rolled her eyes at the word “safe.”

“And what,” she asked, sounding a bit reproachful, “is this product that needs a lot of ground and very little people around so it’s not dangerous?”

“Fireworks,” Ron said with a grin.

“Fireworks!” Ginny squealed, clasping her hands together like a little girl. She had always loved fireworks.

“Fireworks?” Hermione asked sounding unimpressed. “Haven’t Fred and George already demonstrated that they have good fireworks, during our fifth year, for example?”

“Yes, but these are different. They are big. Well, they’re supposed to be. That’s why they need to test them,” Ron tried explaining.

“So they don’t even know if they are hazardous yet?” Hermione demanded.

“I already told you that they needed to test them out!” Ron glared at Hermione.

“What if they blow up the school? Have they even thought about that one? I’m sure Dumbledore will never agree,” Hermione said, crossing her arms, looking satisfied with herself for winning yet another argument.

“Actually, he has,” Ron said with a smirk. “Fred and George said that they will be here two days before term starts. And we’re all invited to come watch the show.”

“Oh, so now they’re putting not only the school at risk but us, too?” asked Hermione with a scowl.

“Hermione, trust me. Everything will be fine. This is Fred and George we’re talking about,” Ron said, trying to comfort her.

“That’s exactly what I’m worried about,” Hermione sighed.


************************

Gi nny was excited. She was excited to see her brothers, whom she hadn’t seen since the summer, and even more excited to see this new concoction of fireworks they had planned. But she was most excited to watch the fireworks with Harry. Ginny knew what Ron and Hermione would be up to, actually she rather not think about it, but with the two of them out of the way, that left she and Harry. By themselves. Watching fireworks. In the cold. What could get more romantic than that?

There was only three days left now before the start of the next term, and that meant three days left without Seamus of Bridget at school to damper what she knew she and Harry had got going over the past week or so. Sure, Ginny still had that little pang of guilt in her heart from betraying Seamus, but there was no way she could ignore her feelings for Harry, especially not after the gift he had given her. It seemed that Harry was finally coming to his sense. Well, maybe if something happens to us tomorrow night, he’ll break up with Bridget and then I can break up with Seamus, Ginny thought. That’s what she needed. A good excuse to break up with Seamus, and if she cheated on him, that would be the perfect one. Actually, it wouldn’t even be an excuse; that would be the truth, which was even better. Hopefully something happens, Ginny found herself hoping silently to herself.

That day, the day before Fred and George’s fireworks display, Ginny decided that time was ripe for she and Hermione to talk about some stuff. Ginny wanted to show Hermione the necklace, but mainly find out if her plan to accidentally on purpose cheat on Seamus so she could break up with him was a good idea. So, she found Hermione alone in her dormitory later that day before dinner.

“Hi, Hermione. I’m glad you’re back. It was great with my brother and Harry, but another girl’s company is always welcome” Ginny grinned, joining Hermione on her bed.

“Yes…,” Hermione replied, but with an almost distant sounding tone to her.


“What’s up?” Ginny questioned, raising her eyebrows at Hermione’s pensive but faraway gaze.

“Oh, nothing.”

“Don’t lie to me. I thought we were on truthful terms,” Ginny insisted.

“Oh all right, then,” Hermione sighed, propping herself up on one elbow. “Last night, after you and Harry went off to bed, Ron told me he loved me,” a wistful smile drew across her face. “Then we–”

“Right, no need to tell me anymore,” Ginny interjected, cringing at the thought. Hermione was her friend, but Ron was her brother. Things that they did on their own time were something Ginny did not need to know about, especially things that she was sure Hermione was just about to tell her about. “Well, then why do you look so down?”

“I’m not, I’m elated! Hearing those words, I don’t know, I mean, I guess I always knew that he loved me, but to hear him actually say it, it’s just…surreal,” Hermione sighed again, a vague smile overcoming her, and then she started to laugh quietly to herself.

“I know how you feel. No, actually I don’t. Nobody’s ever told me they’ve loved me other than my family. You’re really lucky, even if it is a serious prat who loves you,” Ginny smiled.

“Yeah. I guess I am, aren’t I? And speaking of love, how are you and Seamus?”

“How are we always? Exactly the same. Nothing’s changed. But I did want to talk about him to you, actually,” Ginny said.

“Oh, ok. I expect it’s about that necklace you’re wearing?” Hermione asked.

“This? No, it’s not from Seamus.”

“Really? Then who is it from?”

“I’m not sure, exactly. I do have an idea, though. I think it might be from Harry. He was getting my opinion on some necklace he said he had gotten Bridget for Christmas, and the description he gave of it is just like this one. And then he kept dropping all these little hints around. I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up, but I really think it’s from him,” Ginny explained.

“Well you’re right not to get your hopes up, but you never know. What are you going to tell Seamus? I’m sure he’s going to ask about it,” Hermione continued.

“Oh, I’ll just tell him my mum and dad got it for me. He’ll never think anything of it, well, just as long as he doesn’t see what’s engraved inside of it.”

“Oohh, what is engraved inside?” Hermione asked excitedly.

“Look,” Ginny said, opening up the locket, allowing Hermione to read the inscription inside.

“That’s romantic!” Hermione exclaimed. “You said I’m lucky to have somebody who loves me, but obviously you do, too! They’re just in the form of a secret admirer!”

“I guess I never really thought about it that way. But, anyway, as important as that is to me, that’s not exactly why I wanted to talk to you. What I really wanted to know was your opinion on an excuse to break up with Seamus.”

“You just told me last month that that couldn’t happen,” Hermione said, raising her fist beneath her chin.

“It can’t, unless I have a valid reason. And my reason begins with finding out if Harry really did send me this locket. I’d go about that by seeing if tomorrow night while Harry and I are watching the fireworks together anything happens between us. If it does, that means I will have cheated on Seamus, giving me a legitimate reason to end it with Seamus. That way, Harry and I will have already known our feelings for each other and I won’t have to worry about spilling any of my own secrets. It all works out,” Ginny smiled, but Hermione grimaced.

“That’s quite an idea, and a very clever one, at that. And that’s exactly why you can’t do it.”

“What? Why not?” Ginny asked, now frowning, herself.

“You just can’t! It’s plans like that one that always backfire or go dreadfully wrong! Believe me, I know from experience. That’s what I get for being friends with Ron and Harry. Just don’t do it. Let things play out. If you don’t mess around with things, then you never know what could happen on its own. Trust me on this one.”

“Oh fine,” Ginny agreed reluctantly. “I thought it was perfect, too.”

“Like I said, if something is meant to happen between you and Harry, it will. Don’t go off and scheme things into happening. You’ll only end up hurting yourself, and probably Harry, too, as you don’t know exactly what he’s feeling, either,” Hermione told Ginny. “And I believe if you want to break up with Seamus that badly that you need to come up with plans just so you can do it guilt free, you ought to break up with him when he comes back.”

“I can’t do that! Because that would take explaining, and I can’t risk anything! I’ve already told you that!” Ginny said a little frantically.

“All right, then. Do what you want, just as long as it doesn’t include trying to get that plan to work,” Hermione persisted.

“Fine, I promise. I guess it’s better that you talked me out of it. You’re probably right, anyway; something bad would’ve come out of it.


*************************


The day of Fred and George’s fireworks display finally arrived. To Ginny’s displeasure, she overheard Hermione complaining to Ron about them, and then Ron telling her that they didn’t have to watch, ‘if you know what I mean.’ Ginny turned away, quite chagrinned at hearing that part of the conversation, and trying to alleviate her mind of a very unappealing picture. Her mind, however, corrected itself quite quickly. She did have other things to think about. Harry Potter other things.

Yes, Ginny had told Hermione she wouldn’t connive anything, but she could still think about what could happen between them tonight while Hermione and Ron were doing God knows what.

Night rushed in with a hurry, showing beautiful clear skies, and a freshly snow coated ground would set off the display beautifully. Fred and George had joined them for dinner in the castle, afterward going outside to begin setting up.

After Ginny, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had finished eating, they all went back to the common room where they bundled up in their cloaks, preparing for a cold night. Feeling warm enough, they then left the Gryffindor Tower, headed out of the castle, and trudged through the snow, where they situated themselves in front of the lake; Fred and George had set up on the other side.

Hermione melted the snow around from they were sitting with a spell Ginny was not quite sure of, and then they all took turns casting Impervious spells on their bottoms so they would not get wet. Though halfway through sitting on the cold ground, Hermione decided that she did not want to partake in the activities, as she did not want to get her head blown off, and that the others should consider, too. She left with a “humph!” but Ginny was sure she saw her squeeze Ron’s shoulder when she passed him.

The three of them were sitting around, teeth chattering, when suddenly, a loud bang penetrated the silence, causing Ginny to jump. She looked up, and saw a wonderful, huge pinwheel spinning around, seeming to take up they entire sky. It was like the fireworks from a few years ago, but so much bigger and more dazzling. She watched another one shoot up into the air, and then dance around the sky with the other one.

“You know what,” Ron said, about five minutes into the show, “I feel kind of bad. I think I’m going to go apologize to Hermione.”

“But you’re going to miss this,” Harry said to Ron, a little surprised.

“Yeah, well, I feel bad. Don’t worry, I should be back before they’re all done,” Ron explained as he left his spot on the ground.

Another five minutes passed, and Ginny was becoming increasingly colder.

“It’s awfully cold, isn’t it,” she asked Harry, watching yet another firework shoot into the air.

“Yeah. Why don’t you move in a little closer? It’ll help keep us both warm,” Harry suggested. Ginny nodded with a smile, and scooted over closer to him.

“It’s such a beautiful night, though, despite the cold. And these fireworks are splendid,” Ginny said, after a few more moments of silence between them.

“It is. Too bad Ron and Hermione are missing it. I wonder what’s taking him so long, anyway?”

Oh I’ve got an idea, Ginny said to herself. “I don’t know. Probably having a row or something.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Typical them. When are they going to just give it up? If not for them then for me, because they drive me mad!” Harry said, throwing his head back in annoyance.

“Don’t worry about them, just think about what’s going on out here,” Ginny said, trying hard to subtly hint that she was right there, sitting very close to him. How she wanted him to kiss her.

“Right, yeah,” Harry agreed, looking over to Ginny, and then grinning. “You know what this reminds me of?” he asked her.

“No, what?”

“Do you remember over the summer when you and me would sit together outside and watch the fireflies together? And you would always say how they reminded you of a fairytale? Well this is kind of like then. Except it’s really cold instead of hot, and we’re watching fireworks instead of fireflies,” Harry laughed.

Harry was right. This night was much like those, in the way Ginny was feeling and everything. She remembered sitting there in the dark with him, wishing with all her heart that he would kiss her, just as she was now.

“I do remember. I’m surprised you do, too,” Ginny said, a smile playing flirtatiously on her lips.

“Why wouldn’t I? I remember everything we do together.”

“You–you do?” Ginny asked, her heart beginning to race a bit.

“Of course. You’re my best friend. Why wouldn’t I remember?” Harry replied, smiling at her. But there it was. The words Ginny did not want to hear. The words that pulled her heart out and stomped on it on this cold, snowy ground. If she meant anything more to him than a friend, now would have been the time for him to say it, Bridget or no Bridget. But he had told her how he really felt, and Ginny was utterly heart broken. And just when she was beginning to think that there was truly a possibility between them, not just one in her heart. That’s all they were. Best friends. That’s really all they were.

Ginny silently turned her head away from Harry. She did not want him to see her tears.
Reviews 124
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear