Search:

SIYE Time:8:29 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Year To Remember
By littleWoNdErFuL

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 124
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Harry Potter is dying after a final battle with Voldemort. Ginny Weasley visits him at St. Mungo's, and confesses her true feelings for him. She falls asleep on his hospital bed, and flashes back to the year that was. Come along as Ginny experiences emotions that she never knew before, and goes through great lengths all for the one boy she loves... Please read to find out more, and don't forget to review! This story was written pre-HBP, and is now being considered AU.
Hitcount: Story Total: 56219; Chapter Total: 2824







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny awoke the next morning with a smile on her face. So she had to break up with Seamus today. The whole situation just seemed to be a lot easier on her mind now that she had Harry to turn to. He would be breaking up with Bridget, of course. There was no way he could stay with her now, not after he confessed that she had meant nothing to him and then made love with Ginny. Everything was going to fall into place now. Ginny and Harry would be together, and she would be there by his side whenever he needed her.

She climbed out of bed on that Saturday morning, dressed warmly, for it was quite cold out, and went down to the common room. It was around eleven in the morning, so most of Ginny’s fellow Gryffindors were awake. She wandered around the room, having light conversation with her classmates, when she found Hermione seated by the fire, reading a book.

“Hermione,” Ginny said, walking over to where she was sitting, “I have some big news to tell you.”

“Really? What is it?” Hermione asked, looking up from her reading and to Ginny.

“I’m breaking up with Seamus,” she said with a smile. Hermione’s eyes widened in shock as a voice came up from behind the two of them.

“Not if I break up with you first,” said the cold, hurt sounding voice of Seamus from behind Ginny.

“S-Seamus–” Ginny began, but was cut off.

“Just stop. We’re through,” he said bitterly, his stare digging into Ginny like ice picks. From the corner of her eye, Ginny saw Hermione inch out of the scene quickly.

“Seamus, I don’t know–”

“You know perfectly well and you don’t need to explain anything. I already know what happened between you and Harry last night,” Seamus said to her. The pain on his face made Ginny ache with remorse.

“You–you–h-how?” Ginny asked, her eyes beginning to fill with tears.

“Bridget told me everything. Harry broke up with her this morning and she thought I had a right to know what was going on behind our backs. Seeing as you probably wouldn’t have told me.”

“No, I was going to, I swear!” she pleaded with him. But what really got her out of those words was that Bridget knew. How could’ve Harry told her? That wasn’t like Harry to spill the details of what happened in his personal life at all.

“How long’s it been going on?” Seamus continued.

“Wha–” Ginny gulped.

“I said how long has it been going on?” Seamus asked again with more force and through gritted teeth.

“J-just last night, I swear it, Seamus!” Ginny cried.

“Why, Ginny, why? Why couldn’t you just have turned your head when he tried to kiss you?” Seamus looked at her, and his eyes softened to a pained, saddened expression.

“I–I don’t know. I didn’t know it would lead to us making love–”

“YOU SLEPT WITH HIM?” Seamus ranted, his eyes flashing malevolently. Ginny was right to think that Harry wouldn’t have told Bridget everything, and she had just said too much. The whole common room was now turned in their direction.

“Seamus, I–” she whimpered, not used to seeing him in such a rage.

“WHERE’S THE BASTARD? I’LL KILL HIM!” he yelled with fury.

“No! Seamus, I didn’t–I’m sorry!”

Seamus took a step back, his fists clenched and breathing heavily, looking around at the startled Gryffindors around him. “Ginny,” he whispered, “how could you? After I told you how that I loved you?”

“Seamus, I…I’m sorry, I really am! It’s just…” Ginny trailed off.

“It’s just what?” Seamus asked her, looking at her with pleading eyes.

“I–I don’t love you, Seamus. I don’t–I don’t even like you that way. My feelings for you are no more than a friend, I’m so sorry,” Ginny sighed, tears falling from her eyes. The look on Seamus’ face as she said this was tearing her up inside. She had never felt worse in her life than right now. All of those times when she felt bad about loving Harry and not Seamus, all of those times where she wanted to break up with Seamus, they were nothing compared to what she was feeling now.

“I was…right then. When I suspected your feelings for Harry?”

Ginny nodded sadly, “Yes.”

“But why then? Why did you wait so long?” he asked her.

“Because…because I needed you Seamus! I was being selfish! I lo–liked Harry and he was with Bridget, and then you came to me, and you helped get my mind off of him for the time being! But then I started feeling guilty about it, but knew I was too deep in to break up with you, and I would have to tell you the truth. I couldn’t do that. So I let things go on, I know it was wrong, and I shouldn’t have, but–but…then you told me you loved me…that’s when I knew I had let things go too far. I wasn’t in control of the situation anymore; your feelings were involved now. I was going to break up with you today, Harry or no Harry. It’s just that…. when I went to the common room last night to think things over a bit…he was there…. and…and…I’m sorry Seamus, I really am,” Ginny was in practical hysterics now. She felt miserable about all of the pain that she had caused.

“So…” Seamus said, then giving a dry cough.

“I…”

“That’s it then,” he said. “We’re done.”

“I’m sorry,” Ginny pleaded with him one last time.

“Don’t be, it would’ve happened anyway,” Seamus replied coldly.

“Please–”

“No. I’m just sorry it had to end this way,” he said with a sigh, and then he turned on his heel and left Ginny standing there cold.

She was frozen. What just happened? she asked herself. Ginny was crying again and really hated herself for the pain that she had caused Seamus. She had to find Harry. There was a good chance he was going through the same thing with Bridget right now and they could comfort each other. He wasn’t in the common room; she had already determined that much. Ginny wiped her eyes dry, and walked out of the portrait hole, with quite a few eyes following her on her way out.

Ginny walked fast in the corridors. She really wanted to find Harry; she needed to talk to him. But how would she start explaining things? Well, she thought, I suppose I could say, “Seamus just broke up with me because your ex-girlfriend told him what happened between us last night, but you didn’t tell her everything, and I thought you did and let us making love slip, and now he’s reeling. Now what about us?” That was a possibility. No, that sounded like I was rambling, Ginny decided, so she figured that she would just let things come out on their own, and if it sounded like she was rambling or flustered, well, Harry would understand.

Ginny walked around the castle, stopping at all the places she knew that Harry could be found. He wasn’t in the Great Hall or in the Library (though she doubted very much that he would be in there, but you never know), and he wasn’t wandering the corridors, either. By the time she made it back to the portrait hole, she had circled the castle three times and lost an hour and a half of the day. She decided to go back to the common room; with Ginny’s luck, he was probably there the whole time she was looking for him.

However, when she entered the common room, all she found was he usual group of Gryffindors who inhabited it, and Hermione back in her spot by the fire. Ginny walked over to her, aware that a few students who had heard Seamus yelling at her earlier were watching as she made her way across the room.

“What on earth was that about?” Hermione asked as Ginny neared where she was sitting.

“I’ll tell you, but can we go somewhere a little less, er, populated?” Ginny asked, eying the common room with a raised eyebrow.

“Of course,” Hermione said, and the two girls left the common room to Hermione’s empty dormitory. Once they were situated, Hermione started the conversation with Ginny again. “I came up here when Seamus started going off; I didn’t want to eavesdrop and intrude on your personal matters. Even though it was pretty clear the rest of the house didn’t agree with me.”

“Yes, well, now everyone knows about our not so perfect relationship. Used to be relationship, rather,” Ginny added with a shrug. “I just wanted to come up here because I don’t want anybody overhearing some other things.”

Hermione nodded, then said, “And I’m here to listen.”

“Right. Well, it all started yesterday during the Hogsmeade trip. Seamus and I were eating in the dreadful Madam Puddifoot’s, and then he told me that he loved me. I got really upset, because I knew then that everything was out of my hands, and I couldn’t control what was happening anymore since Seamus loved me. I decided that I needed to break up with him.”

“Why didn’t you break up with him then?” Hermione asked.

“Because I didn’t think it was necessary. Plus I really had no idea of what I was going to say to him. So I planned to do it today. Anyway, when we got back to the castle, I went straight to bed. I wasn’t really in the mood to see any other people, and I wanted to be alone. But after six hours of restless sleep, I decided to go down to the common room. When I got there, I discovered Harry. We began talking,” Ginny decided to leave what exactly they talked about out; after all, what Harry had told her was probably something he had not told Hermione or Ron yet, “and then, well, we kissed, and it led to more.”

“I see. So you cheated on Seamus after he told you he loved you. Do you feel guilty about it?” Hermione asked her.

“Of course! But I thought everything was going to run a lot smoother since I would have Harry behind me–”

“–But how do you know Harry is going to be behind you?” Hermione interrupted.

Ginny’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean?”

“How do you know Harry’s going to want to be with you now?” she articulated.

“Why wouldn’t he? He told me how he really felt…about me…and Bridget and why would he have done that with me if he didn’t plan on having a real relationship?” Ginny asked.

Hermione looked at the ceiling and made a soft clicking sound with her tongue.

“Has Harry talked to you–what do you know?” Ginny spitted out.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You know something! Harry’s talked to you about me, hasn’t he? What has he said? He’s got feelings for me; he’s got to! What’s he said?” Ginny fumed.

“I think you need to talk to Harry,” Hermione said placidly.

“Not before you tell me what you know!” Ginny said through gritted teeth.

“I’m not saying that I know anything! All I’m saying is that I suggest you talk to Harry about the situation and find out what he really thinks,” Hermione explained.

“Fine. Fine!” Ginny huffed, and hurried out of Hermione’s room in a rush. She knows something! And she hasn’t told me! I can’t believe her! Ginny thought wildly as she continued to her own dormitory. ,i>Harry’s said something to her about me and now she won’t tell me what it is! She was a little angry now, and wanted to find Harry more than ever. She knew she most likely wouldn’t find him in the common room, and figured that she would just have to wait until dinner that night. That was her best chance at finding him and asking if they could talk later.

Ginny spent the rest of the day until dinner bored in her dormitory. She didn’t want to go to the common room because of the people in there, and there really was no other place to go. She read a little, and mostly just sat and looked outside until it was time to go to the Great Hall for dinner. Ginny was relieved when the bell sounding dinner rang, because she was terribly bored, but she did get time to think about what she was going to say to Harry.

Ginny walked down to the Great Hall, ignoring some of the looks that were being flashed her way as she passed in the corridors. People were bound to talk, they always did. But Ginny didn’t care; just as long as she got everything sorted out with Harry nothing anybody could think or say could bring her down.

Taking a spot by herself at the Gryffindor table, Ginny tried to locate Harry. She found him sitting with Ron and Hermione, but he looked extremely quiet and downtrodden. She tried getting his attention, but her attempts failed miserably. After dinner was over, she tried catching up with him, but it seemed like he was not only ignoring her, but trying to avoid her, too. Ginny called his name, but he didn’t even look back at her. She got caught behind a rush of students exiting the Great Hall, and lost sight of Harry. Ginny bit her lip impatiently, and pushed hurriedly through the crowd. She got quite a few, “hey’s!” and “watch out’s!” as she trod over a few toes, but didn’t really care. She finally pushed out of the mass of students, and ran up to the common room, only to find that Harry was not there. However, Ron was.

“Ron!”

“What?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Where’s Harry?”

“He went to bed.”

“Of course…” Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

“Why do you need him?” Ron asked, taking an odd interest.

“I need to talk to him.”

“Well he went to bed in kind of a rush. He was unhappy about something. I dunno why, though. Probably because he broke up with Bridget…but wouldn’t that make him happy?” Ron stared off a little.

“AARG!” Ginny ejected loudly.

“What’s the matter now?” Ron looked back to her.

“I told you, I need to talk to Harry! It’s important! He’s avoiding me and I really need to speak with him!”

“About what?” Ron asked.

“It doesn’t matter.” Ginny said with a sigh.

“Yes it does. If it has to do with you, it matters,” Ron said, crossing his arms. Ginny’s eyes narrowed. She hated it when Ron got protective.

“I really don’t want to talk about it. It’s between me and Harry, that’s all.”

“Well if it’s between you and Harry that gives me even more reason to need to know!” Ron spat.

“You don’t need to know anything! I’m going to bed!” Ginny said with a huff and turned on her heal out of the common room. It was yet another early night to bed.

***************************

It had been another uneasy night when Ginny finally pried her eyes open Sunday morning. She had a pretty good idea of what she would say to Harry now, and had spent the greater part of the night thinking about it. But if she would even get to talk to Harry today was another story, depending on whether or not he was deciding to avoid her.

Ginny dressed and went down to the common room, which was surprisingly empty for this time of morning. Except for one person, the one person who she had been particularly keen on speaking with.

“Harry!”

“We need to talk,” he replied solemnly.

“I know, that’s why–why do you look so…depressed?” Ginny changed what she was originally going to say.

Harry opened his mouth to speak, and lifted a hand, but then dropped it and closed his mouth.

“Seamus broke up with me,” Ginny broke the silence with a small smile.

“I heard,” Harry answered dully.

“Well, now we can…”

“Now we can what?”

“You know! Be together!” Ginny said rather frantically.

“Er…we…can’t be together, Gin,” Harry told her with a sullen expression on his face.

At once, Ginny felt a familiar lump arise in her throat and tears well up in her eyes. “W-why not?” How could this be happening? Harry had practically said that he wanted to be with her, why else would he have even kissed her, let alone go as far as they did?

“Ginny, I regret it,” he continued simply.

“You r-regret what?” she sputtered.

“You know, don’t–don’t play that. I’m trying to make this easy…”

“You regret it?” Ginny asked, her temper starting to rise. “You regret it?”

“I–I shouldn’t have kissed you. I shouldn’t have let things go that far, I’m sorry. I should’ve been reasonable and thought of all the pain I would cause but I wasn’t, and I’m sorry. But we can’t be together,” Harry explained.

“Why not, Harry? I slept with you and now you’re telling me that we can’t be together? Why?” Ginny asked, not really sure if she should be angry or sad. She was both right now.

“Ginny…you’re…Ron’s little sister!” he said a bit impatiently.

“Of course! I should have known! I knew that’s what I’ve always been; I supposed it was stupid of me to think otherwise, especially when we were making love together,” Ginny spat at him. She was angry now.

“See! You don’t understand! You’re too young, Ginny; you don’t know what you’re feeling! I went too far! I made the mistake!”

“Oh, I see! I’m the baby; I just have a kiddy crush on you, do I? So if I’m too little for you, Harry, what’s Bridget? She’s as old as me!” Ginny yelled at him.

“Bridget’s different!” Harry quarreled.

“Really? How?”

“She’s not you!”

“Well that sure is an answer if I’ve ever heard one!”

“Ginny, I can’t be with my best friend’s kid sister! I just can’t! You’re too young; I got carried away! I’m sorry!” Harry looked down, and Ginny could tell he was feeling guilty with himself. But she didn’t care. She was going to make him feel as guilty as he could for putting her through this.

“I’m not,” she said coldly.

Harry looked at her. She could have sworn she heard him say to words “not” and “little girl” under his breath, but then he opened his mouth. “Even if I did have feelings for you, it wouldn’t matter. It’s the whole reason why we can’t be together anyway.”

Ginny’s eyes softened a little bit at this. Was he coming around? Or was he thinking up some other excuse since he couldn’t back up the “you’re too young” one? “What are you saying?” she asked.

“You aren’t going to want to hear this, and I didn’t want to tell you because you’re not going to understand.”

“I will, and you’re going to tell me,” Ginny said sternly.

“I can’t have feelings for you. I went too far with you the other night and I can’t let anything like that happen again,” he explained.

“You’ve already made that clear,” Ginny bit her lip.

“We can’t be together. It’s–not safe. For you.”

“What? ‘Not safe for me’? What are you talking about?” Ginny rebuked.

“I can’t have you in any danger, and I can’t like you, Ginny, end of story,” Harry said, sounding annoyed.

“How am I supposed to be in any danger? It’s you Harry! You!”

“Ginny! Do you know what could happen if Voldemort found out that I had feelings for you? I can’t have you in danger, Ginny!” he yelled at her.

Ginny snorted. “Voldemort? You’re bringing Voldemort into this? You are pathetic!”

“You’re calling me pathetic now, when I’m trying to protect you? You obviously don’t recall what happened during my fifth year when Voldemort found out how I cared for Sirius. Well he died, Ginny, and I doubt very much you want to meet your demise the same way!”

“I can’t believe you! First of all, I’m a big girl, Harry! I can take care of myself–”

“Sirius thought he was capable too! But he was obviously wrong!” Harry interjected.

“I CAN take care of myself, Harry! You know, if you don’t like me, you don’t have to make up lame excuses to why we can’t be together! Just think how your thick actions are going to make the next girl feel before you go and sleep with her!” Ginny hollered, and with that strode out of the common room.

Ginny was livid. Irate with what Harry had just told her. How could he be so…so uncaring! How could be so intimate with her and then tell her that he didn’t feel anyway about her? How could he make up excuses, and of all things bring Voldemort into them, to tell her that they couldn’t be together! Ginny didn’t love Harry anymore. Oh no, she loathed him with every fiber of her being. She couldn’t stand the boy and wouldn’t care if she never saw him again! She couldn’t get over the fact of what he had done to her, though. How he had hurt her. She needed to hurt him, make him feel what she was feeling. She needed revenge.

Ginny walked up to the Owlery, and on her way stopped in an empty classroom. There, she found a spare piece of parchment and quill with inkbottle, and she scratched out a note.

Meet me in front of the Tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy on the seventh floor at nine o’clock tonight. Don’t be late; I’ll be waiting for you.

G.W.


Perfect, Ginny thought, then rolled it up and tied it with a piece of string she pulled off of the inside of her robes. She continued to the Owlery, and once she was there, located Ron’s owl, Pig, and called him down.

“Here, I need you to take this straight away, it’s very important. Make sure he gets it in the next few hours. It’s in the castle, so it shouldn’t take you too long,” Ginny spoke to Pigwidgeon, then watch the small owl fly out of the window a few meters, then delve into another one.

Ginny stood in silence for a few moments. Taking in a stuttered breath, she wondered if she was doing the right thing. Would she ever be able to forgive herself for it? But then she remembered her pain and her attitude changed. This had to be done and she would see it through to the end.
Reviews 124
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear