Search:

SIYE Time:7:09 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Year To Remember
By littleWoNdErFuL

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 124
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Harry Potter is dying after a final battle with Voldemort. Ginny Weasley visits him at St. Mungo's, and confesses her true feelings for him. She falls asleep on his hospital bed, and flashes back to the year that was. Come along as Ginny experiences emotions that she never knew before, and goes through great lengths all for the one boy she loves... Please read to find out more, and don't forget to review! This story was written pre-HBP, and is now being considered AU.
Hitcount: Story Total: 56231; Chapter Total: 2846







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ginny awoke Tuesday morning with an anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach. She knew Hermione would be speaking with Ron and Harry today. Hermione would tell the boys exactly what Ginny had told her last night and hopefully they would believe her. If they didn’t trust Ginny at the moment, which made her wince to think about, at least they trusted Hermione. And if they saw that Hermione’s judgment was good enough to trust in what Ginny was saying, then she could only hope that they would come to their senses and believe the truth. And since when do Harry and Ron listen to what Malfoy’s got to say, anyway, she thought. They were just in shock about what they heard. They’ve got to believe Hermione.

Ginny lay in bed and sighed. She could only hope that things would be better today. Hopefully everything would be sorted out with the people she cared most about. If everything between the four of them was okay again, then Ginny didn’t care about what everyone else was saying about her, even if it wasn’t the truth. She wasn’t hungry, so she stayed in her warm bed an extra twenty minutes or so before she could bring herself to get up. She was even half tempted to go to the infirmary and tell Madame Pomfrey she didn’t feel well, but she couldn’t do that. Ginny was stronger than that. She didn’t run away from her problems.

After dressing and gathering her books, Ginny took her knapsack and braced herself for the day. No crying, she told herself as she walked by a group of fifth years in the common room who were giving her especially wicked stares. You’re strong; nobody can influence your feelings. Block it out. So Ginny did just that. The emotional barrier that had formed yesterday was back up again, but this time instead of letting herself look empty and broken, Ginny composed herself and went about things like nothing had ever happened.

This proved more difficult as the day went on. Hermione was the only one in the corridors who would give Ginny any sign of compassion, and she didn’t see her that often throughout the day. Peers whom Ginny were normally quite friendly with either ignored her or gave her the same dirty looks as they gave her yesterday. Too much for thinking all this would die down, Ginny thought to herself with a sigh. Between Herbology and Potions, Ginny finally caught up with Hermione instead of their usual quick pass in the corridors.

“Have you talked with them yet?” Ginny asked earnestly.

“Not yet. I’m trying to find a good time. Class obviously isn’t, and I can’t in the corridors, it’s too busy. I’ll try during lunch. Or after dinner in the common room,” Hermione said, smiling some. “Don’t worry, I’ll get through to them. How are you making out today?”

“Oh, just wonderful,” Ginny said sarcastically. “I’ve only got death wishes being thrown at me every second. I thought all the talk might die down, with it being ‘yesterday’s news,’ but I was definitely wrong.”

“It will die down, I promise. But you seem to be holding up alright, that’s good.”

“I’ve decided not to let it bother me today. Letting them see that I’m suffering will just give everyone what they want. It’s hard keeping cheerful, but,” Ginny sighed, “but I’m getting through it.”

Hermione smiled, “I’m so proud of you. You’re really handling this maturely. I’ve got to get to Ancient Runes. Don’t worry about Ron and Harry, everything will work out just fine.”

“I know,” Ginny said, and continued going down the stairs as Hermione turned the corridor.

************************

Ginny kept her barrier up for the rest of the day. Without the interaction between her classmates that she usually had, she found herself more attentive in class than she could ever remember. In a matter of three periods she had gained Gryffindor twenty points for answering questions correctly in Transfiguration, Herbology, and being the first to perform a new charm correctly in Charms.

“Well done, Miss Weasley!” said a beaming Professor Flitwick that afternoon after she demonstrated proper use of the oppugno charm; her mouse was rightfully gnawing and clawing at the small pillow in front of it.

After dinner that evening, Ginny suspected that Hermione would be talking to Ron and Harry in the common room, so, with reason not to overhear the conversation or look as if she was trying to overhear on it, decided to do her homework in the library that night. She carried her books to an empty table near the back of the library and got working. Ginny was so deep in her potions essay that she hadn’t even noticed that someone had taken a seat at the other side of the table a few chairs down. It wasn’t until she looked up to retrieve more parchment from her bag that she saw whom it was. Her voice got caught in her throat and a burning feeling was rising in her stomach. She was just about to leave when they spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

“E-excuse me?” was all Ginny could get out. She continued packing up her bag. Was she actually supposed to believe what the boy who had made the last two days of her life a living hell was saying, let alone stay and talk with him? “I-I can’t talk to you now. Not ever. I’m leaving.”

“Please stay and let me explain,” Draco said. Ginny couldn’t detect any sort of emotion in his voice and didn’t know if that was a good or bad sign.

“No. Because you’re not sorry and I don’t care what you’ve got to say. You’ve said enough already to the whole student body, and frankly I don’t want to hear anything else come out of your mouth.”

“Ok, so maybe I’m not sorry,” he said unapologetically.

Ginny let go of the book she was holding and her jaw dropped. “You mean to tell me that you don’t feel any ounce of remorse for spreading those rumors about me? I–I…” she didn’t know what to say. Ginny knew she had just said that he wasn’t sorry, but now he was actually admitting to it? Someone with any amount of class would have tried to explain how they actually did feel bad about what they had done, but not Draco. She should have expected it.

“No, I don’t. Because you deserved it. You were the one who led me on in the first place. I’m not one who lets a deed go unfinished,” he said with a smirk.

Ginny was appalled at her utter lack of judgment, almost more than she was the night that she had tried to seduce him. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

“It means that just because we didn’t do anything, doesn’t mean that anyone has to know that. You left me high and dry the other night, and I couldn’t let you get away with that. You should have thought about the consequences before you left, Weasley.”

She knew that that statement was completely true; she should have thought about the consequences before she left. She should have thought about the consequences before she even sent that letter. Ginny didn’t know how to respond to that, so she left the library, leaving Draco behind once more.

Ginny hurried to the common room flustered, her mind thinking only half-formed thoughts. When she walked through the portrait hole, she noticed Hermione sitting on the couch by the fire with a book on her lap. Ginny joined her and Hermione looked up, noticing the odd look on Ginny’s face.

“What’s the matter? What’s happened?” she asked.

“I, er, I don’t know…”

“Well just as long as everything’s all right. I talked to Ron and Harry.”

Ginny snapped back to reality. “You did? And?” she asked anxiously.

“Well…there’s good news and bad news.”

“Oh please start with the good,” Ginny said with a sigh, though unsure of how good this news really would be.

“They believe you,” Hermione said, and with that Ginny squealed and flung her arms around Hermione’ shoulders.

“Thank you so much!” Ginny said, not caring how bad the bad news would be; this was the best news she could ever hope for.

“I’m not done yet!” Hermione continued.

“Right. Go on, then,” Ginny replied, composing herself.

“Well, I told them exactly what you told me. And afterward they completely believed what I told them. But here’s the bad news: Ron’s not speaking to Harry.”

Ginny frowned. “Why not?”

“Harry and I had to tell him what went on between the two of you. It was the only way to give substantial reason to what you went on to do–or not do, really–with Malfoy,” Hermione explained.

“You mean Ron didn’t know about it already?”

“He had heard rumors, of course, but I’m certain he couldn’t bring himself to believe them. His little sister and his best friend. It didn’t click. And right after those rumors went about the ones about you and Malfoy started, so it slipped his mind. And really, Ginny, do you actually think he would have asked you or Harry if what he heard was true? This is Ron we’re talking about. Plus, it’s not like Harry was going to casually bring it up. ‘Hey Ron, guess what your sister and I did the other night?’ I don’t think so.”

“Well he’s going to have to grow up and accept it,” Ginny said. “It’s already happened. He shouldn’t be mad at Harry.”

“He’s raging, actually. I had to stop him from hitting Harry in the face. What he’s most angry about is that Harry broke your heart, enough to make you want to take out revenge on him. He said, ‘You slept with her and then cast her aside? What kind of man are you?’ And then Harry said, ‘One that doesn’t want to get your little sister killed!’ Which was a good point, actually–ouch! Ginny!” Hermione yelped, rubbing her arm where Ginny had smacked it.

“That’s what this whole thing is over! So you’re with Harry on this now! I can take care of myself! And I can’t believe that’s still his excuse!”

“It’s not an excuse, Ginny! I know what he did wasn’t right, but he did it to save you! You’ve got to understand that!”
“I don’t want to,” Ginny said, and a small tear rolled down her cheek.

“If it makes you feel any better, Harry felt awful about it. I think the last time I saw him that upset was after Sirius died. I don’t think he would have minded if Ron hit him; actually I think he was mad that I had stopped him from getting a full blow to the head. He really loves you, Ginny.”

“Then how come he can’t tell me that?”

“I don’t know,” Hermione said, and patted Ginny on the shoulder.

After a while of silence Ginny said, “But they believe me?”

“Yeah, the do,” Hermione replied. “Though Ron’s still angry at you for going to Malfoy and now for sleeping with his best friend, and Harry, well, I don’t think Harry’s going to be able to look at you for a while. But they believe you.”

“Then that’s all that matters,” Ginny said.

***********************

The next evening, Ginny found herself in the common room doing her homework. She had a sketchy feeling about going back to the library, even though she was sure nothing else would happen there. But that had been her second encounter with Malfoy in the library. So since she felt no reason to go back down there, as she had yesterday, she stayed in the warm safety of the Gryffindor common room. Though as soon as Ron confronted her, the library had a much more desirable feel to it.

“So,” he said to her awkwardly.

“So,” she responded back. Ginny really didn’t know what to say to her brother at this moment. She knew he was angry with her, so she wasn’t clear on why he was choosing to speak with her. But at the same time a small part of her was impressed at this action. Ron wasn’t one to have a civil conversation with, especially with matters like this one.

“I’m–I’m sorry I didn’t believe you. But still. Malfoy? Why’d you pick him? You know how much he’s done to our family and Harry and Hermione.”

Ginny sighed. “I know. That’s exactly why. Because I knew Malfoy would hurt Harry the most. I was so wrong, Ron. I should have never done it.”

“And Harry. Harry is…” Ron drifted off.

“I don’t want to talk about Harry, Ron,” Ginny said quietly.

“Good. Me either,” he said with a small smile.

“But I do want to say this,” Ginny said. “Don’t be mad at him. He’s not the one you should be mad at.”

“But he–”

“Ron. For once, listen to me the first time. Don’t be mad with Harry. Forgive him for what he’s done. Actually, no, don’t, because I’m not sorry for it. You apologize for being irrational, though. What’s done is done, and being mad at him won’t change it,” Ginny said sternly.

“Ok,” Rom said. And with that, he left. Ginny was sure he was going to apologize to Harry. She smiled to herself, glad that she had finally talked some sense into her brother.
Reviews 124
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear