Search:

SIYE Time:10:13 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Year To Remember
By littleWoNdErFuL

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 124
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Harry Potter is dying after a final battle with Voldemort. Ginny Weasley visits him at St. Mungo's, and confesses her true feelings for him. She falls asleep on his hospital bed, and flashes back to the year that was. Come along as Ginny experiences emotions that she never knew before, and goes through great lengths all for the one boy she loves... Please read to find out more, and don't forget to review! This story was written pre-HBP, and is now being considered AU.
Hitcount: Story Total: 56546; Chapter Total: 3606







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“He’s so relentless!” Ginny huffed one evening in the common room as Hermione edited her Potions essay. The end of February was only a week away and the past week and a half had gone by rather pointlessly. Nothing worthwhile had happened and Ginny hadn’t yet been able to wrangle Harry to talk to him. It figures. The one time I actually want to talk to him he’s the one who’s avoiding it. Harry wouldn’t so much as let Ginny look at him without leaving the room as he would let her approach him, and Ginny was getting frustrated. But he had to give in sometime.

“I know, Ginny, but I’m doing my best,” Hermione said, her quill scratching on the parchment as she edited a mistake.

Hermione had attempted numerous times to convince Harry that he needed to talk to Ginny to sort things out, but nothing seemed to come of it. Her efforts would result in Harry blowing off the suggestions and changing the subject. Ginny had even gone to Ron, who, being back on speaking terms with Harry, might have been able to talk some sense into him. But not even Ron could get any sort of reaction that might lead Ginny to believe they could fix this mess.

“Why doesn’t he want to talk to me about it? I want to talk to him! It’s the only way!” Ginny ranted, shaking her head.

“Again, I know,” Hermione replied, looking up from the essay. “He’s ashamed of himself. I think he understands your reasons in doing…what you did, and I know he realizes how sorry you are for it. Here’s where I think the problem is: Harry and Ron might have made up, but I think Ron’s words are really getting to him.” Ginny raised her brow. “You know, ‘you slept with her then cast her aside.’ He’s obviously really embarrassed. But he’ll come round eventually. Just keep trying to talk to him.”

“That’s really all I can do,” Ginny said with a sigh.

“Right you are. Now, about this essay,” Hermione said, handing the parchment to Ginny, “it’s definitely not bad. You’ve got a grasp on the concept, but you are missing some of the key points. I’ve listed them in the margin, but if you need any more help, I’ll be glad to explain it to you.”

“Thanks a lot, Hermione,” Ginny said, looking over her essay.

“Oh, you’re welcome. At least your work has a lot more effort put into it than what I’m usually forced into looking at, that is to say, something your brother might hand me.”

Ginny grinned and then began to rewrite her composition on a clean sheet of parchment.


A glimmer of hope finally found its way to Ginny two days before the end of the month; she had managed to talk to Harry about talking to him.

“Harry, we need to talk,” Ginny said, cornering him in the common room one morning before breakfast. She had snuck up on him so that he couldn’t run away this time.

“I know,” Harry replied, keeping his eyes to the floor.

“In private, though. This really needs to get sorted out,” said Ginny, trying to catch Harry’s eyes. Harry simply nodded at the statement. “Meet me here tonight after midnight when everyone’s gone to bed. Please be here, Harry.”

“Okay,” Harry replied with another nod, and then left for breakfast.

Ginny couldn’t decide whether to feel relief or dread. Finally she would be talking to Harry about what went on between the two of them, and the thought of this brought tremendous relief to Ginny. But she would be facing Harry with the truth and all of her feelings about how she wanted things to be, and that made her extremely nervous. What if he didn’t want to forgive her? What if they couldn’t patch things up between them? Ginny couldn’t bear the thought.

The day passed by rather quickly and Ginny couldn’t recall what had really happened in any of her classes; her class time was spent stressing out over what to say to Harry later that night. No words seemed to be the right ones and she couldn’t think of what to start with, whether it be why she did what she did or what type of relationship she and Harry would hold after this whole fiasco.

During Charms that afternoon, Ginny could hardly focus on whatever Professor Flitwick was teaching them. Thankfully today was a practical lesson; they would not be asked to perform the spell, whatever it was, until next class. Ginny found that this was a good thing, since she knew she would never have been able to produce the charm correctly today, seeing as her mind was elsewhere.

The day had just slipped away beneath Ginny’s fingers. First it was the end of classes for the day. Then dinner was already over. Nighttime had sprung upon the castle, and Ginny had finished this evening’s homework. She went to bed. Then, after what Ginny had thought was only ten minutes of sleep time, it was after midnight and time to go down to the common room. Where had the day gone? Why didn’t she have time to prepare? Even though she had so much to tell Harry, she hadn’t a clue of what to say.

Ginny slipped on her robe and tiptoed out of her dormitory. As she descended the stairs, she held her breath with anticipation. Would Harry come through? Or would he escape her once again? Ginny didn’t know what would be worse. If Harry did decide to show, they would go through with their conversation, and this made Ginny’s stomach lurch some. If he didn’t come, then she would have to go through getting his attention all over again. It seemed like a double-edged sword.

When Ginny finally entered the common room, her heart was unsure of whether to slow down or speed up at what she saw. Harry was there, sitting in front of the fire in his favorite chair. Taking a deep breath, she plucked up the courage to go join him. Why are you so nervous? You’re the one who wanted to have this talk in the first place, Ginny told herself as she walked over to where Harry was sitting.

“Hi,” Ginny said quietly, taking a seat in the chair next to Harry’s.

“Hi,” Harry responded.

“So, er, about–about what happened. We haven’t talked properly about it yet. Everything we’ve wanted to say, it’s been thrown around between Hermione and Ron and undoubtedly been skewed a little. I know you don’t want to face me, Harry,” Ginny said, noticing that he was barely acknowledging that she was there, “but I feel the same way. It’s hard for me, too. To face you and have this conversation after what I did, it’s taking a lot of courage from both of us. I’m surprised you can even be around me this long.”

Ginny looked to Harry hopefully, wishing he would say some words of condolence to her.

“Harry, I feel terrible about what I did. I haven’t the foggiest about what I was thinking that night. I was rash, I should’ve thought about what I was doing. I should have thought about you and what you had told me. I’m not going to lie, Harry, I was and still am unhappy with what you said to me that day, but I know how out of line I was in the decision I made. Turning to Malfoy like that, I should be disowned from my family. Hermione should have never spoken to me again. And you, you probably don’t want to have anything to do with me and I completely understand if you don’t.

“I just wanted you to know that I’m so sorry, Harry. I’m sorry that I messed things up so bad. I’m sorry that I caused this whole mess between you and the school, you and Ron, and you and me. I’m sorry that I’m a stupid girl and that I can’t control my feelings. And I’m sorry that I love you.”

“Don’t say that,” Harry muttered.

“What?” Ginny gulped. She was shocked at what had just poured out of her mouth.

“Don’t say that about me. You don’t–you just think–no, we can’t. I can’t. You can’t.”

“You’re not making any sense,” Ginny sputtered.

“Ginny,” Harry sighed, “that day. I’m sorry that what I said caused all of this. I wish I would have considered your reaction, and I wish you wouldn’t have gone and did whatever you did with Malfoy–”

“I didn’t do anything with him!” Ginny interjected.

“I know, Ginny, but really at this point, I just don’t care. All I care about is that you know that I can’t let myself have feelings for you. We can’t go on. I’m sorry if you don’t understand that, but that’s how it has to be.” There was bitterness in his voice as he said this.

“I’ve told you before, Harry! I don’t care about being in danger! I’m in no more danger being friends with you than being with you! And what about Hermione and Ron?”

“You don’t-” Harry stopped and took a breath. Then he continued more quietly, “You don’t get it. I can’t be subject to this. To feelings like this. I just can’t.”

“Harry, no–”

“Ginny, quit now. You don’t know what you’re saying or what you think you’re feeling. Just stop,” Harry said sullenly.

There was a long silence after he said this. Ginny wasn’t sure of what to think or what to do next. Finally, she opened her mouth.

“So is this it, then?” she asked slowly.

“I–I guess so,” Harry said with caution.

“Does this mean–?”

“I don’t know what it means,” Harry said.

“Right, then,” Ginny said. With wobbling legs, she hoisted herself up off of the armchair and went up to bed, without saying goodnight to Harry.


“So,” Hermione said to Ginny the next morning before breakfast. Ginny was getting her books together and Hermione was apparently anxious to hear what had been said last night.

“I really don’t want to talk about it,” Ginny responded truthfully. She would rather forget about what had happened between her and Harry last night. She would also rather forget that Harry Potter even existed at all. But this time, instead of making things worse and enticing Malfoy with things that would never happen, she would just let it all be and try her best to get on with her life.

“Oh, Ginny. Was it really that bad? I wasn’t expecting there to be another row between you two,” Hermione said, looking genuinely concerned.

“I didn’t expect what happened to happen at all,” Ginny said. “But really, I don’t want to talk about it right now. Maybe later after I’ve thought a bit.”

“I respect your wish of privacy,” Hermione said with a smile, and Ginny couldn’t help but smile back.

“Anyway, I’m sure Harry’ll tell you if you ask him.”

“I won’t if you don’t want me to,” Hermione told Ginny.

“Oh, I really don’t care. Although his version probably won’t make an bit of sense,” Ginny said through gritted teeth.

“Ginny, if it’s best that I stay out of this–”

“Hermione. If you want to know what happened, be my guest and ask him. I couldn’t care less. Now please, don’t mention what happened last night or Harry again. I don’t want to be bothered with it.”

Hermione’s cheeks flushed pink. “Sorry,” she said.

“It’s okay. I’m sorry for snapping at you.”

“Well do you want breakfast, then?” Hermione asked, changing the subject.

“Yes, I would like some,” Ginny said with a sigh. She picked up her knapsack and followed Hermione out of the portrait hole.

When Ginny and Hermione arrived at the Great Hall and walked to the Gryffindor table, Ginny noticed that Ron and Harry were already there. She knew Hermione would want to go sit with them, so she stopped.

“On second thought, I’m really not that hungry. I’ll see you at lunch, Hermione.”

“Wait, what? Where are you going?” Hermione asked, turning to Ginny, who was now on her way out of the Great Hall. Ginny shot a glance over to Harry, and Hermione understood. “Oh. Right. See you, then.”

Ginny turned on her heel and headed back up to the common room. She knew she couldn’t avoid Harry forever and that at some point they would have to face each other again, but for now, she didn’t want anything to do with him. This time, she was going to forget about Harry and forget about her feelings for him, just like he had told her to do. This time would be different.
Reviews 124
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear