Search:

SIYE Time:6:59 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Year To Remember
By littleWoNdErFuL

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 124
Summary: *** The author has been reminded via the e-mail address on file that this story is listed as incomplete and has not been updated since 2006 ***

Harry Potter is dying after a final battle with Voldemort. Ginny Weasley visits him at St. Mungo's, and confesses her true feelings for him. She falls asleep on his hospital bed, and flashes back to the year that was. Come along as Ginny experiences emotions that she never knew before, and goes through great lengths all for the one boy she loves... Please read to find out more, and don't forget to review! This story was written pre-HBP, and is now being considered AU.
Hitcount: Story Total: 56230; Chapter Total: 2891







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


September had gone almost as quickly as it had come. Autumn was now upon them, bringing with it brisk air and many rain-filled days. Ginny’s teachers had taken full advantage of the damp weather, loading the students with so much homework that practically all of Ginny’s spare time was spent working in the library.

The bad weather made Quidditch practice rough, but their first match was quickly approaching, and they needed to have all the time to condition as possible. Harry tried to keep practice regular, but with the heavy homework loads and the current wet season, he had to limit practice to only Saturdays and Sundays. This didn’t bother Ginny. She barely had enough room in her head for her own thoughts let alone adding Quidditch to the pile.

When Ginny wasn’t doing homework or practicing, she liked to think about her favorite subject: Harry. He almost seemed like a project to her; she learned new things about her feelings for him all the time, and things she needed to work at to bring out his true feelings for her. After a brief depression stage after believing Harry and his new friend Bridget could quite possibly become an item, she was better. Ginny had not seen them together, nor heard him speak about her. This made Ginny come to the conclusion that they were nothing, and that the little suffering she did was over just that-nothing. But she had learned from it.

Currently, Ginny and Harry were friends. Close friends. He told her things, and she told him things. They let each other in. Ginny was content with their friendship. Yes, she loved him more than a friend, but she also loved being around him. And if being with him meant being with him as a friend, she could handle it. For now, at least. So Ginny kept her true feelings locked deep in her heart, trying to contain the urge to really be with Harry until they both were ready.

Every so often Ginny would send Harry a little connotation of a flirt, just to see how he would respond to it. This helped her determine how things were between them. If he would flirt back, she knew things were moving in the right direction. If he didn’t, she needed to back up some, and regain what she had lost.

Ginny knew that Harry truly loved her. If he didn’t, why was he always so patient with her? When they were together, Harry just seemed to understand her. Ginny felt like she was loved when she was with him. She hoped he was feeling the same with her. Sometimes she would wonder why he didn’t show her any other displays of affection, other than trying to kiss her that one night. But as she was, Harry too was probably discovering the secrets to this thing called love.

*******************

On what seemed like the first dry Saturday of the month, the Gryffindor Quidditch team was to face Hufflepuff. It was the second game of the season, and first for Gryffindor. The team had practiced as much as they could, and Ginny knew they were ready. She woke up that morning with excitement brewing inside her. She was familiar with this feeling; she got it before each game. She ate breakfast with the team this morning so they could discuss any last minute changes. After they were finished, they headed back to the common room for a break before they headed to the Quidditch pitch.

Ginny noticed Harry was getting his things ready rather early on. She knew he liked to get down to the fields before everyone else, but not normally this early.

“Why are you getting ready so soon? The match doesn’t start for another hour,” Ginny asked him.

“I know,” Harry replied. “I just want to relax my nerves a bit before the game. Flying helps.” Seven years of playing Quidditch and the best Seeker at Hogwarts, and he still got nervous. Some things never change.

“Do you want any company?” Ginny asked. She would be more than willing to go along with him.

“Nah. I’ll just go by myself, thanks,” he said to her, and with it, left.

Ginny pondered for a moment. It wasn’t like him to ever leave so early, even if it was because of nerves. Actually, now that she thought about it, he had been disappearing places a lot lately. He would leave the common room, or Great Hall, and then about an hour later turn up again. Whenever she or Hermione or Ron asked what he was doing, he would just reply, “nothing,” and shrugged it off.

Now Ginny was curious. She wanted to know what he was really up to. She left the common room, and then hurried down the stairs, and out of the castle. Ginny trudged through the muddy law to the Quidditch pitch, making sure Harry wouldn’t spot her. She definitely didn’t want him to think she was spying on him. She inched closer, and made her way as close to the field as she could, where she hid behind one of the stands.

Harry was alone right now, but obviously waiting for somebody. He didn’t mount his broom, but rather looked around, to see if anybody was coming. Finally, Ginny heard him say, “hey” to somebody. She looked to see who it was. Her heart dropped like lead as she watched.

Ginny stood there, frozen, as she watched Bridget embrace Harry in a long, hard kiss. After what seemed like an eternity, they broke apart, and Bridget spoke.

“We have to stop meeting in secret like this. My friends are beginning to get suspicious.”

“I don’t think I’m ready yet. People might talk.”

“People will always talk. But that doesn’t matter.” Harry nodded, and kissed her once more.

Ginny was confused. She thought she was okay with them being friends until they were more, but now the prospect of more seemed black. Her heart was shattering to pieces, and tears were welling in her eyes. She needed to get back to the castle.

The pain she felt was so much more intense than the last time. But Ginny knew she had to pull out of it. Harry couldn’t see her like this. He would ask her what was wrong, and she would have to lie. She couldn’t lie to Harry. That meant she would need to tell him how she felt, and she was not ready to do that, especially not after what she had just witnessed.

Ginny ran through the castle as quick as she could, rushing to the common room, then rushing more to her bed. She lied and cried for a little while, while letting the harsh reality sink in. She and Harry were friends. No more, no less, just friends. And that was all they were going to be.

Ginny wiped away her tears, and realized the time. The game started in ten minutes. She should’ve been down in the team lockers by now. Pull yourself together. This is what’s happening, and there is nothing you can do about it. You can’t let him see you like this, she thought to herself. She then scrambled out as fast as she could to the field.

“Where were you?” Ron asked her furiously as she stumbled into the team’s locker room.

“S-sorry,” she gasped, “I was in my room and didn’t realize what time it was.” Ginny pulled on her robes, and looked to Harry who was talking to Joni and Colin. He then turned to her.

“Finally you’re here. We almost thought you weren’t going to make it.” Ginny nodded, but couldn’t look at him in the eyes. It would reveal too much.

The team now filed out through the locker room to the field, where the Hufflepuffs were already lined up.

“Mount your brooms,” Madam Hooch directed, and then blew her whistle.

The game was action packed. Hufflepuff had a good team, but not good enough. Ginny scored five goals, and Ron saved all but three. Harry caught the snitch when Gryffindor was ahead 90 to 30. It was an easy but triumphant win, but Ginny was more than happy it was over. She didn’t want any attention from her teammates or housemates; she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

Ginny went to her dormitory by herself while the rest of the house stayed in the common room and commemorated the win. When Ginny wasn’t found celebrating with the rest of the house, Hermione found her and asked her what was wrong.

“Why aren’t you celebrating?” she asked, “You did so great today, the team wants to see you!” Ginny looked down at her bed.

“What’s the matter?” Hermione asked again.

“Nothing. I don’t feel well. I guess breakfast didn’t agree with me.”

“Oh. Well. If you feel like coming down, we’re having a great time.” Hermione turned to leave. It must have been fun, because Hermione hardly ever joined in the house parties. “Are you sure there’s nothing else wrong? Because you know I’m always here if you need to talk to somebody” Hermione offered before she left the dormitory.

Ginny smiled meekly. She loved Hermione during times like this. She was always more than willing to help out a friend. Ginny would have to lie to her, and hated herself for it. But as much as she wanted to inform Hermione what was wrong, telling her what she saw would expose the secret Harry wanted kept quiet, and Ginny would respect that. It would also mean confessing her feelings about Harry, although knowing Hermione, she already knew this, but Ginny wasn’t going to take any chances.

“No,” Ginny shook her head, “I’m sure nothing’s wrong.” Hermione smiled and left the dormitory.

Ginny took in a wavering sigh. She really needed to think. Obviously, Harry had been disappearing to meet with Bridget, probably ever since that day she saw them together at the field. Now how long would it be until they made their relationship public? A warm tear ran down Ginny’s cheek, and landed on her pillow. It doesn’t make sense, she thought, he has to feel the same way about me, he just has to. He’s confused. He needs to be sure what he feels for me is real, so he’s testing other girls. Ginny remembered how he held Bridget, and sobbed again. She had always wished Harry would hold her that way. Unless, she thought, unless he really doesn’t feel the same way about me. With that thought, she immersed herself into her pillow and cried. She would stay like this for the rest of the afternoon, and night.

As Ginny slept, she dreamt. She dreamt she and Harry were together. They were happy, and in love, more in love than anybody could imagine. When Ginny left school, they were married. Still, they were in love. Nothing seemed like it could ever go wrong. They grew older, and started a family. This made their already strong love even more enduring. Until it happened. Ginny dreamt that she saw Harry cheating on her. With Bridget. She was devastated. When Ginny asked how long it had been going on, Harry said the whole time they had been together. Ginny screamed at him that the whole relationship was a lie, and that nothing could ever change it now. Then she woke up, crying again. In a way, Harry had been cheating on her. Ginny knew they weren’t together, but she couldn’t help feeling like she had been betrayed. She closed her eyes again, and fell back asleep.

Ginny woke up the next morning not remembering the dream, but thinking of how she imagined things would always turn out. She always though she and Harry would end up together. Even if they had just started out as friends, their relationship would blossom into real love. Ginny never imagined another girl coming into the picture. Bridget was now the one thing that stood between where Ginny was, and where she needed to be, and Ginny hated her for it. Because of Bridget, she and Harry would be friends, no suggestions of more, just friends. Ginny would need to learn all over again to accept that. But no matter what happened, Ginny knew she would always love Harry, even if he would never know.
Reviews 124
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear