Search:

SIYE Time:16:07 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dream Adventure
By Sir Ollivander

- Text Size +

Category: Dream Adventure Challenge (2005-3)
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 12
Summary: The Hogwarts students tell each other what they would dream of doing if they could. The jungle, skinny-dipping, and ancient history are all part of the fun.
Hitcount: Story Total: 4707







ChapterPrinter




“Dream Adventure”

by

Sir Ollivander





A/N: The persons and places in this story are all fictitious. Any similarities to actual people, places, or events, are strictly coincidental and unintentional.




“Here’s one” Neville shouted and disappeared from sight.

He was followed by Harry, Ginny, Luna, Hermione, Ron, Lavender, and Seamus. Also eight trunks, two owls, one cat, and a frog. A toad, actually. By the name of Trevor.

It took the lot only a few minutes to shrink and stow away all their belongings and sit down in the apparently last remaining, empty compartment of the Hogwarts Express. The trip back to Kings Cross Station was going to take the better part of the day. After doing this for the last six years, they got pretty efficient at it. Only one more year to go after the summer. Five years and two more to go for Ginny and Luna, as they were one year behind the others.

“I have great respect for Madam Pomfrey,” Harry said, continuing the conversation they started when they were waiting for the train. “But I don’t want to see her till school starts back up again. I was in the Hospital Wing so often last year, some people probably thought there was something going on between us.”

“Eeeeuuu! Don’t put that image in my head.” Ron sputtered.

The others laughed more at Ron’s reaction than the image Harry described. Moments later the train started to pull out of Hogsmeade Station. The group got quiet and looked out the window as Hagrid, the town, and the castle moved out of sight.

“Soooo…”

Everybody was startled out of their own private thoughts when Luna broke the silence.

“What are you all going to do during the summer?” she added. “I’m going on a Snorkack expedition in Eastern Europe. There’s a report of a small herd of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks found in one of the mountain passes. Dad is taking a few Quibbler reporters and a photographer and spending a couple of weeks to try and find them.”

“Oh, I dunno.” Ron spoke up. “Probably just stay at home. I mean, like, there’s not a whole lot I can do at the moment.”

“Maybe Bill or Charley can come home for a visit.” Ginny said to help cheer up her brother. “Harry will be there in just over a month so we can get in a lot of Quidditch practice. Neville, what are you going to do?”

“Well, I know what I would like to do. But I’ll probably do the same as the rest of you, stay at home. My Gran’s is not one for summer vacations.”

“What, Neville? What would you like to do?” Ginny kept at him for an answer.

“Well, I would like to go on a jungle expedition in South America. I read that there are numerous plants there that nobody has ever seen before. I mean, look at all the ingredients we use in potions. About half of them come from plants. Can you imagine what new discoveries we could make?”

“You’re absolutely right.” Hermione joined in. “There are some places in the world we still haven’t been to or explored. That would be perfect for you.”

“Yeah. Maybe when I grow up and win the British Lotto. Maybe work for the Royal Academy of Science or something.”

“Okay.” Ginny interrupted. “If money was no problem; if skill and knowledge wasn’t an obstacle, and you could do anything your heart desires, what would you want to do? Neville, we know what you would like to do. Hermione?”

“To be able to do anything I want?” Hermione questioned her friend.

“Anything! Mountain climbing, rule a country, sailing around the world, be queen for a day, fly into space…anything!”

“Well…” she looked around the compartment at the others waiting for her reply. “You all probably think I’m nutters…”

“Go on.” Harry encouraged her.

“Well, I would like to have been the chief Librarian for the Royal Library of Alexandria in Egypt. Just to categorize everything they had would be fantastic. There were very few records of its contents when it was destroyed. Can you imagine handling scrolls and parchments written by some of the greatest minds in history?

If I knew back then what we know now, I would put every scroll or stone tablet in a protective magical canister. They would be sealed and a copy made. The copy would be available to use and the sealed original would be stored safely at a different location.

Also, I would make a detailed list of everything in the library. That list would also be copied and stored in different locations for safekeeping. That’s one of the problems we have now. We know the library existed and it held great and important things. But there is no surviving record of what was there.

But to do anything now would mean an underwater archaeological trip to search for the library. It was destroyed about 3000 years ago and lost to the Mediterranean Sea. But I can’t scuba dive.”

“Yes, you can. Remember, knowledge or skill is not an issue.” Luna corrected her.

“What is scuba diving?” Ron asked.

“Oh. It’s swimming underwater while breathing compressed air from a tank you wear on your back. You wear a rubber wet suit to protect you from the cold and fins on your feet to help you swim.” she explained.

“That sounds too complicated to me. I’m sure there is an easier way. Look at what Harry did in the Triwizard Tournament. He didn’t have to wear anything special.”

“Are you kidding, I was soaked to the bone.” Harry interjected. “The lake wasn’t exactly the most comfortable place to spend an hour. That rubber suit sounds like a good idea.”

“What would you do if you could, Harry?” Hermione asked him.

“Actually, I want to do a lot of things. There is so much I haven’t done.”

“Does any one thing stand out for you?” she prodded.

“Well, my cousin Dudley had this picture book about a train ride called the Orient Express. It went all across Europe. They had cars where you slept, one that served food, and others to just sit around looking out these big windows. The pictures of the countries were really terrific.”

“I’ve heard of it. It went from Paris to Istanbul. It would take about a week.” Hermione added. “A very nice, leisurely vacation for the two of you.”

Harry started to blush a bit but Ginny just took his hand in hers and looked at him. Her smile made him feel a lot better over Hermione’s comment.

Still looking at her, he asked Ginny, “What would you like to do if you could do anything you wanted?” Harry said it as if there was nobody else in the room. And Ginny took it that way, as if he was talking to her personally.

“You really want to know?” she asked him back, shyly.

“Yeah, Gin, I would.”

“Well, I would like to go sailing around the South Pacific islands with you. We would have a nice, big, luxurious sailboat with a couple of people to sail it for us. They would take care of the boat, do the cooking, and all those things. And we would have all day to ourselves. We could lie in every day, stay up all night and watch the stars, whatever we wanted. We would sail for days around all the little islands. We could live aboard the boat or stay on an island overnight. Maybe have a louie on the beach.”

“A Luau, where they cook the food in an underground pit.” Hermione corrected her.

“Yeah. And at night, we could lay on the beach and watch the sun set and see all the stars come out. The weather would be perfect and warm. We could go on a midnight swim if we wanted to on a deserted beach where there is nobody around. Really. I got this perfect bikini in mind.”

“Oh, really?” Harry piped up.

“Yes, I do.”

“Do you have one in mind for me, also?” he added.

“Actually, no. You don’t get to wear a bikini.”

It took about five minutes for the compartment to settle down, the group was laughing so hard at the look on Harry’s face.

“All right, you know what I mean. Swimming trunks.” Harry said trying to save some dignity.

“Well, I do have something in mind. But they are definitely not trunks.” Ginny said provocatively.

“Do I really want to know?”

“I’ll let you know when we’re on that beach at midnight. And if you don’t like them, you don’t have to wear them.”

“Skinny-dipping, uh.” Before Harry could react, Luna spoke up like she knew exactly what she was talking about.

“Really?” Hermione threw in.

Lavender asked, “What’s skinny-dipping?’

Hermione replied, “It’s swimming in the water starkers. Actually, it’s more like playing around in the water, usually done at night so you can’t see much of the other person.”

“Ginny!” Ron shot back.

“I didn’t say it. She did.” she yelled back.


“Well, you put that thought in my head.”

“Neat!” said Seamus.

Harry had to say something to help calm Ron down. “Ron, if it makes you feel any better, I’ll keep my trunks on. Okay?”

“Uhaaaaa, that’s no fun. It’s my idea.” Ginny pouted.

“Ginny, while we’re all on the train, we will all be wearing clothes.” And then Harry leaned over to whisper in Ginny’s ear so only she could hear him. “What we wear, or not wear, on the beach is up to us.”

Ginny grinned and squeezed his hand still in hers. “Okay.”

Ron was about to say something when the witch pushing the tea cart, selling various types of candy and iced pumpkin juice, came by and opened their compartment door.

“Anything off the trolley, dears?”

This group of students was always good customers of hers and Harry traditionally purchased whatever snacks they wanted. They were not disappointed since they were sitting in the rear of the train and that’s where the trolley started. The cart was fresh and full of everything they liked.

Moments later, all eight were busy eating their favorite treats and had forgotten about their previous conversation.




All except Harry.




He still had the vision of just him and Ginny…




Lying on that warm beach…




With no clothes on…




Playing in the warm water…




And looking up at all the stars.





Ginny must have read his mind for as he looked over at her, she looked back up at him and they both smiled, like they knew a personal secret.








Reviews 12
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear