Search:

SIYE Time:11:35 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Don't Break My Heart
By BriannaH

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Drama
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: Harry is returning to the Burrow, and has trouble talking to Ginny. His instinct calls him to Ginny's side, when she is hurt.
Hitcount: Story Total: 5774







ChapterPrinter


Disclaimer :: All hail J.K. Rowling, for she owns it, not I.

Don’t Break my Heart by BriannaH

Harry James Potter lay on his bed. He couldn’t take the pain anymore. He moaned, he had taken the one thing that could help him understand his emotions out of his life. He longed for a letter from Sirius telling him everything would be okay. He yearned for advice from Dumbledore, helping him lead his life. He desired for Ginny to hold him close, and let him forget about everything around him, for just a few moments. The last was the one he had destroyed on his own will. Why had he broken things off with Ginny? Ginny was the one thing that seemed to make him stronger, the one thing that helped him continue fighting. The prospect that Ginny could live in a world without fear, without the fear that Voldemort would destroy something else. Harry wondered how Ginny was feeling at that very moment, was she wishing he was with her, like he was her. Harry would learn soon enough, he was leaving for the Burrow in the morning.

Meanwhile, Ginerva Weasley was also lying in her bed. She, too, couldn’t take the pain. She knew Harry had his reasons for pushing her away, but at the moment she didn’t care about those reasons. She just wanted him. She was afraid that something would happen to him, and now that seemed like more of a possibility with Dumbledore out of the picture. Dumbledore had so much knowledge, and he was always willing to help Harry, why had he gone at a time that Harry needed him? A solitary tear slid down her right cheek. She hated Voldemort for all the pain he had inflicted on everyone especially Harry. Harry never wanted to be the hero, he just wanted a normal life, but he was very handsome being the hero. Ginny attempted to move Harry to the back of her, but like many times before, she didn’t succeed. Ginny wondered how Harry was feeling at that very moment, was he wishing she was him, as she was him. Ginny would learn soon enough, Harry would be arriving at the Burrow the next morning.

The Next Morning

When Harry woke up, at half past three, he got dressed, and packed everything he owned into his trunk. He grabbed his trunk and Hedwig(inside her cage), and took all of his things downstairs. It was 6:30 a.m., and Mr. Weasley, wouldn’t arrive at the Dursley’s until 8 a.m. Harry had been so excited to leave, that he had gotten ready entirely too fast. He knew, this would be the last time that he would leave the Dursley’s home, and he knew he wouldn’t be returning.

Petunia Dursley slipped Harry a piece of toast, and then returned to acting like she was ignoring him, as Vernon and Dudley were doing. Harry played with Hedwig for a little while and then returned to staring at the window.

“Will you be returning?” Petunia had reappeared by Harry. Harry simply shook his head, and Petunia again returned to scrubbing the kitchen nervously.

Finally the doorbell rang and Harry ran to answer it. Arthur Weasley stood at the door, wearing a tired smile. “Ready?”

“Yeah,” Harry replied. He gave Mr. Weasley a quick hug. “Thanks. Thanks for everything.”

“Same to you,” Mr. Weasley said quietly. “Get your things and we’ll be going. I have a car to take us to the Burrow. I didn’t think that we should Apparate.”

“Yes, sir.” He put his trunk in the car’s trunk and Hedwig and her cage, in the back of the car.

In the meantime, Ginny was helping her mum with breakfast. “What time?” she asked in almost a whisper.

“Ginny he should be here in thirty minutes. You should really stop worrying,” Molly Weasley informed her daughter.

Hermione had just entered the kitchen. “Good morning, Ginny, Mrs. Weasley.”

“Morning,” Ginny muttered, distracted.

“Good morning, Hermione. Would you like to help us with breakfast?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Of course!” Hermione answered. She stood beside Ginny, buttering bread, or at least attempting to. Ginny had a butter knife in her hand, scraping it across the bread, but there was no butter on the knife. Hermione poked Ginny in the ribs, to which Ginny jumped. Ginny glared at Hermione, and Hermione casually pointed at the bread. Ginny just got a dollop of butter, and started spreading it on the bread.

In the Car

“How is everyone?” Harry asked politely.

“We’re all well, as well as can be expected. But, I don’t think you want to know about everyone,” Mr. Weasley said winking.

Harry knew what Mr. Weasley was talking about, but didn’t say anything.

“She’s okay. I’ve seen her better, though. She hasn’t been talking much, but she does ask questions about you. Her main concern, is that you are alright,” Mr. Weasley said with a knowing grin.

Harry simply nodded his head. Mr. Weasley glanced at him, “How are you holding up?”

Harry nodded again. He was hoping Mr. Weasley would get the impression that he didn’t want to talk about his feelings on Dumbledore, Ginny, or really anything else for that matter. Mr. Weasley apparently could tell that Harry didn’t want to discuss anything, and tried to change the subject quickly.

“So...erm...have you been keeping up with the Chudley Cannons?”

“No, I haven’t Mr. Weasley. I haven’t exactly been looking at the Daily Prophet. They tell so many lies, it’s hard to believe anything that’s written in there.”

“I agree.”

There was silence, as Harry stared out the window. “Molly is really looking forward to seeing you.”

Harry nodded as Mr. Weasley continued. “Hermione arrived yesterday. Bill is currently visiting Fleur’s parents, but he should arrive tomorrow. Ah, we’re here. Welcome back, Harry.”

“Thanks, Mr. Weasley.” Harry climbed out of the car, and began advancing towards the Burrow.
As soon as Harry entered the kitchen, Mrs. Weasley ran to greet him. “Oh, Harry! I’m glad you arrived in one piece.” She gave him a bear hug, and then pulled away. “Those muggles should really learn to feed you more. Don’t worry, I’ll give you enough food. You’re looking pale, do you feel well?”

“Mum, he’s just arrived. Give him a chance to breathe before you hammer him with questions.”

Harry immediately recognized the soft voice. He had imagined having to meet up with Ginny, but not this soon. Harry stared at his shoes.

“Hello, Harry,” Ginny said politely, waving cutely.

Harry said hello as well and turned to go to Ron’s room, to unpack his things.

Harry grinned as he stood outside the door. Ron and Hermione were having a heated argument, over what it didn’t matter. He had missed his friends terribly. Harry grabbed an Extendable Ear (courtesy of the twins) and listened in on the conversation.

“Ron, do you like me?”

“Of course I do, Hermione. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have put up with you all these years.”

Harry could imagine the look on Hermione’s face, most likely one of hurt. “That’s not what I mean!”

“Well, what do you mean?”

“You know perfectly well what I mean!”

“Maybe not Hermione...”

“I know you know what I mean, I can tell by the way you’re acting. I’m not thick!”

“Then why are you questioning if I like you?”

“What do you mean?” Hermione asked, sounding as if she might cry.

“If you weren’t so thick, you would know that I like you!”

“Like me, like me?”

“Of course, Hermione!”

“Oh, Ron.” Harry could see Hermione hugging Ron.

“When we get to this point, you’re supposed to kiss me.”

“Oh.” Harry grinned, but he suddenly regretted it. This wasn’t fair! His friends were paired together, and he was paired...would have been paired with Ginny, but then he had to go and ruin that. Oh, how he hated himself at that moment.

“Finally,” a soft voice said from behind him. Harry didn’t want to turn around, he knew Ginny was standing beside him. He knew this time, he couldn’t just say a word and walk away. He wondered how long she had been beside him.

“I’ve only just come by,” Ginny said as if answering his question. “You don’t have to talk to me, you know? I understand, just know that if you would ever like to talk, I’m always available.”

Harry nodded. “I’ll always be there for you Harry,” Ginny said softly placing her hand on his shoulder. Shivers went up Harry’s spine, at Ginny’s touch. He still hadn’t turned around. Ginny raised her hand, and Harry assumed that she had gone to her room.

Suddenly the door opened to reveal a blushing Hermione. “Hi Harry! I didn’t know you would be arriving today!”

Harry nodded. Harry knew that Hermione sensed something was wrong, but he knew she wouldn’t push it out of him, at least not yet. She gripped him in a strong bear hug. Harry was instantly swarmed by bushy hair.

“Did you say Harry was here?” Ron called from his room.

“Yes!” Hermione said, giving him once last squeeze before pulling him away.

Ron slowly came out of his room and gave Harry a brief squeeze. Harry wondered why Ron was acting differently, but he figured it was because he had just kissed Hermione.

“How’ve you been?” Hermione asked.

“I’ve been better. You?”

“Oh, I’ve been better as well, but this summer is seeming to start looking up!”

Harry grinned. “What are you grinning for?” Ron asked.

“Nothing.”

“It’s not just nothing. Spit it out.”

“Well, I’ve been outside this door longer than I’ve wanted to, but I didn’t find it right to barge in.” The new couple blushed, Ron turning a deep shade of scarlet, while Hermione was just slightly pink.

“That clears a lot of things out of the way. I mean, we don’t have to explain anything,” Hermione said, regaining her usual air. Ron simply nodded, as scarlet as ever.

“Ron, would you like to help Harry with his things?”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Ron answered Hermione, picking up some of Harry’s belongings, leading Harry into his room.

“You’ll only be staying in my room tonight, tomorrow you will be in the twin’s room. Don’t ask me why, Mum just told me that was how it was to be. Hermione is having to move out of Ginny’s room, too. I don’t really agree with it all, but I didn’t dare tell Mum so,” Ron said.

“That’s fine,” Harry replied.

“Fancy a game of Quidditch?” Ron asked.

“Erm...” Harry didn’t really want to play Quidditch, he wanted to lay on his bed and sulk.

“Please, I’ve wanted to play all summer, and Ginny’s the only one who’ll play with me. She normally kicks my arse each time, and I know you would too, but I think you should get out to play.”

“Sure,” Harry muttered.

The boys grabbed their broomsticks, and Ron told Ginny they were going to play Quidditch, to which she ran to get her broomstick. Ron also told Hermione, but she just held a finger up to her lips, because she was reading.

They were playing Quidditch with a soccer ball, because they didn’t want bludgers, or anything to be seen.

Once, they had been playing for about half an hour, Harry made a dive. He swiftly landed in the forest by the Burrow. Harry wanted to be alone, but at the same time he wanted to be found. Damn, he didn’t know what he wanted. Harry laid his broom down, and started walking through the forest. He found a bare tree stump and sat on it. Harry started thinking. Do I want her? Of, course I do! Can I have her? That’s a different story. Would she take me back? I don’t know, I’ve been such a prat lately. But that’s all been within good reason! I guess, you’re dealing with the death of Dumbledore and all. Yeah, I know. My destiny is supposed to be kill Voldemort, or die trying. What am I supposed to do after Voldemort is defeated? I don’t know.

“Hiding?” a soft voice said from behind him. Harry nodded. “Mind if I join you?” Harry shook his head. Ginny moved in front of him and sat down. “Thinking?” Harry again nodded. “Oh,” Ginny said, and began staring at the ground. After about ten minutes, Ginny stood up and said, “Well, I better go help Mum with lunch.” Harry just nodded. Ginny slowly walked away, and Harry watched her until she disappeared.

Harry started thinking again. Why didn’t I say anything? I’m scared to. I’m scared that if I start getting close to her again, I’ll want to kiss her every time she walks into the room. Why is she talking to me? She’s always been polite, just because we used to be a couple, doesn’t mean she’ll stop being polite. Why am I acting like this? Because I still love her. I love her? Yes, I love her. It’s time I told her that. We’re not going out anymore. My mistake, not her’s.

Harry was tired of thinking. He got up and headed to the kitchen.

“I’ve been looking for you, mate.” Harry nodded. “Going in for lunch?” Harry nodded again.

Ron sat by Hermione, making Harry sit by Ginny. He didn’t talk at all during lunch, and Harry didn’t eat very much. Mrs. Weasley noticed this, but didn’t say anything.

When everyone was finished eating, Harry got up to clean the dishes. “No, Harry. That’s my job, I’m the mum.”

“Mrs. Weasley, you already do so much for me-”

“And you’ve done a lot for my family. Why don’t you run along with the rest of the lot?” Harry nodded, and was quickly pulled aside by Hermione.

“Harry we need to talk.”

Harry tried to pull away, and Hermione just shook her head. She pulled him into Ginny’s room, and sat him down.

“Tell me what’s wrong.”

Harry just sat there.

“Is it Dumbledore?”

Harry shook his head.

“Is it Ginny?”

Harry gazed into Hermione’s eyes.

“Okay, now that I’ve figured it out, it’s time for me to help. I’ve always been able to figure everything out, but this is one, I’m having a hard time understanding. Ginny likes you, and you like her...why don’t you just pick up where you started?”

“Hermione, you don’t understand! We can’t do that, she’ll be in danger, and I don’t want to be the person putting her there!” Harry stood up and exited the room, leaving a frowning Hermione on her bed.

“Hey Harry-” Ron began.

“I just want to lay down. I don’t feel well.”

Ron stood up and exited the room.

Three hours later, Harry got off his bed, and started down the stairs. He heard crying in Ginny’s room, and his stomach suddenly dropped. Is Ginny crying? Why would she be crying? Harry decided to leave it alone, and began walking towards the family room, where Hermione and Ron were playing chess.

“Hello, Harry. There has been a slight change of plans, Bill, the twins, Charlie, and Fleur will all be arriving tomorrow. Bill and Fleur were supposed to get here today, but something came up,” Mrs. Weasley explained. Harry nodded his head, and sat by Ron to watch the game of chess.

“Who’s winning?”

“Who do ya’ think?” Hermione asked.

“Ron.”

“Of course.”

The next day, Harry welcomed everyone. He and Ron were having to make sure everything was cleaned up outside. They were having to set up tables for the wedding, and such.

“Harry?” Mrs. Weasley called through the back door.

Harry came running in to the kitchen. “Yes?”

“Could you help me with dinner?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Thanks.”

When it was time for dinner, Harry had to sit by Ginny once more. This time, she didn’t give him the polite smile. When Harry was asked questions, he would give the shortest answer possible. He didn’t eat much.

As soon as the kitchen started clearing out, Harry went straight to the twin’s room to lay down. Harry had been laying down for about two hours when he heard Ginny’s door slam. He sat upright, and decided to feed Hedwig. Harry could hear Ginny crying through his wall.

It was now nine o’ clock, and Ginny had been crying for an hour. Harry couldn’t take it anymore, he felt so bad for her, and didn’t want her to be crying. He grabbed his invisibility cloak.

Harry knocked on Ginny’s door. “W-who is i-it?”

Harry didn’t answer, but still opened the door. Ginny gasped, she didn’t know what had entered her room. Ginny picked up a stone that was on her dresser (why it was there, we will never know), and threw it at where the person who had entered her room should be.

“Ow!” Harry yelled, and he felt his hood fall from his face. Ginny started crying harder when she realized Harry was in his room. He silently shut the door and sat by Ginny. He gave her a hug, and she didn’t pull away. Ginny cried into his shoulder. This made Harry want to kiss her, to make all of her pain to go away.

Ginny slowly pulled away. “W-what are you doing in here?”

“I’m ready to talk.”

“W-what?”

“You said, that if I wanted to talk you would be available. I’m ready to talk.”

Ginny nodded her head.

“Ginny...I don’t know exactly how to say this, because, I’ve never really said it. I don’t know how to say this, so you’ll have to listen, while I try to figure it out. The reason I had to break up with you is because I didn’t want to be the reason you got hurt. I would sit on my bed each night and wish you were with me, but I knew it was all my fault that you weren’t. I realized that you are my antidote. I need you more than ever. You are what keeps me going, and I can’t imagine being without you anymore. I want you...I love you.”

Ginny’s eyes got huge and she beamed. “Harry I love you, too. You need to realize that I would be in just as much danger anyway. I’m a Weasley, and everyone knows that the Weasleys are your friends. That’s means I would be targeted anyway.”

Harry nodded his head. Ginny leaned in, and kissed him hard on the mouth. Harry felt like all of his troubles disappeared. Ginny slowly pulled away.

“Harry?”

“Yeah?”

“Promise me one thing?”

“What, love?”

“Please, don’t break my heart.”

“I promise.”

This time it was Harry that kissed Ginny hard on the mouth, knocking the breath out of her.

Authors Note ::I didn’t like this one as much as The Boy Who Loved. I thought it was going to end differently, but it didn’t, so please read and review. Sorry that it wasn’t that good, but I guess I couldn’t think of anything to write.
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear