Search:

SIYE Time:9:36 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Plain Morning
By Rianna

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff, Songfic
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 9
Summary: Takes place after Harry's seventh year. Harry is searching for the last Horcrux, and while remembering what Ginny said to him, he realizes that the thing he is really searching for was there all along. Songfic to Dashboard Confessional's "A Plain Morning".
Hitcount: Story Total: 3651







ChapterPrinter


A/N: It's been so tough for me to write a new fic since I read HBP! But, I was listening to my old Dashboard Confessional CD and I heard this song, and I just knew! Yes, I know that the summary says that it takes place after Harry's seventh year. He decided to go. That's it. But he also found three of the four remaining Horcruxes. I may write a prequel to this later, but for now it's this. Yeah...

A Plain Morning

It's yet to be determined,
But the air is thick,
And my hope is feeling worn.
I'm missing home,
And I'm glad you're not a part of this,
There's parts of me that will be missed.
And the phone is always dead to me,
So I can't tell you the temperature is dropping
And it feels like
It's colder than it ought to be in March
And I still got a day or two ahead of me
Till I'll be heading home,
Into your arms again


Harry lay awake in his conjured bed, listening to Ron's snores, while Hermione was reading a book over in the corner of their tent. It had been six months since they started their journey, and now the tension had been raised. Only one Horcrux still eluded them, and Harry felt that they were close.

Of course, Harry was reluctant to let Ron and Hermione come with him. But he soon realized that he needed Ron's startling reality checks and Hermione's knowledge of defense spells and jinxes to remain alive while he ws finding the Horcruxes, and, ultimately, Voldemort. But he felt as if a part of him had been destroyed, as if he himself was missing a part of his soul. Everyday, more and more, he realized he needed Ginny, too.

Hermione, with her knowledge much beyond her years, had convinced Harry to complete his schooling at Hogwarts after it was announced that it would be re-opening. She told him that, once the war was over, he would need his education to get a reliable job. He reminded her that he had enough gold to live the rest of his life. She reminded him that he would die of boredom is he didn't have something to do during the day, plus he wouldn't be able to become the Auror he strived to be. She was right, of course. So he got back on the train to Hogwarts, preparing for a starting amount of grief when he arrived at the feast to find Dumbledore absent. Having not spent the summer at the Burrow like he had nearly every summer since his first year, though, he was surprised to find himself more and more attracted to Ginny. She was the same as he remembered, feirce, passionate, beautiful. But, he felt a slight pang, when he realized that she was no longer his. True, she wasn't dating anyone else, but he felt himself feeling more and more unlike himself when he saw her and knew that he wouldn't have the closeness to her that he so craved. He felt at a loss for words just sitting next to her on the Hogwarts express.

***

I was greeted with a large hug from Ginny at platfor 9 and 3/4. She ran towards me, leaving her trunk and Pigwidgeon's cage forgotten. Sooner than I had expected, she was in my arms, her head fitting perfectly under my chin, mumbling about how much she missed me. I resisted, with great force, the urge to lean down and kiss her. After she finally let me go, she smiled very wide.

"Long time no see, huh Potter?" she said.

"I'm sorry about that. I was at Godric's Hollow, spending some time at my parents grave, and just thinking about things..."

"I understand" she said quickly. "This is about the Horcruxes, is it not?"

I was taken aback, but soon felt a wave of releif wash over me.

"Hermione told you" I said, and she nodded, laughing a little.

"I sometimes wonder why you tell her things" said Ginny, laughing casually. It was a wonderful sound, like light bells, tinkling with a musical quality. I was staring down at her, wondering how I was such a prat to let her go, when the train roared.

We were rushed onto the train by a bustling Mrs. Weasley, who told me to be careful when I take my 'trips'. I nodded, and followed Ginny into a compartment, where we had a light conversation about Quidditch...


And the people here are asking after you.
It doesn't make it easier.
It doesn't make it easier to be away
I'd like to hire a plane
I'd see you in the morning
when the day is fresh
I'm coming home again
Coming home again
Coming home again
When the day is fresh,
I'm coming home again


Harry looked down at his watch to find that it was after four AM. Hermione had long since been asleep in the bed with Ron, and lay snuggled close to him, as Harry sat on his bed holding the letter he had recieved from Ginny a few weeks earlier. They had agreed to correspond very little, because an owl flying back and forth, especially one as distinguishable as Hedwig, would draw attention to his whereabouts and possibly cause an attack. This was the only letter he had recieved from her, and it said a few things about Bill and Fluer coming back from their honeymoon, and that Percy had a new girlfriend. But the most important part, to him, at least, was the part at the bottom where she signed "I love you" at the bottom of the page. He still felt teary-eyed whenever he read this, and could almost smell her orange and cinnamon smell. The letter came a few weeks before.

He tried not to remember the last time he had seen Ginny. The smell of her hair, the feel of her skin on his fingertips. He felt the memory coming back to him, felt himself immersed in it as much as if he were in a Pensieve.

***

The cool night air of the Burrow was the exact opposite of what I was feeling. I felt like I was suffocating, drowning, burning and Apparating all at the same time. Ginny sat beside me underneath the Oak tree, her hand laying absentmindedly over mine as she counted the stars in her mind. I felt like a fake, sitting here with her after telling her that I wanted to say something important. He felt himself breaking down inside, felt himself re-qorking his decision, and realized that this was for her well-being.

"So, what did you want to tell me?" she asked?

"Er..." I said, reluctant to begin. She sat up and looked me directly in the eye.

"It's about...us? Isn't it?" she said, sounding defiant and heartbroken all at once.

"Yeah" I answered truthfully.

She looked as if she was ready to fight to the death. One of the many things I loved about Ginny Weasley.

"As you know, there's only one more Horcrux to be found before...you know..."

She nodded.

"And I know this one will be the most dangerous, and it could very possibly cause me to die. And I don't want you to be there if I do. I don't want you to get hurt."

This time, unlike when we broke up a year previous, she began to cry. I put an arm around her, and she pushed her face into my chest, making my shirt her handkercheif.

"What if I don't care? What I I want to be with you, to help you?" she asked.

"You can't, Gin. This is my battle. I don't want anyone else to have to be hurt because of me."

"You think that by keeping me here, you're protecting me?"

I felt her words wash over me, and felt myself slowly dawning on the concept that Dumbledore had been trying to explain to me for six years. I looked down, not wanting her to see my face. "No."

"Exactly. You need me! You need me more than I need you!"

A single tear fell from my eye, and Ginny's definat expression turned to one of sympathy. She knew how bad this was hurting me.

"Yes, Ginny, I need you. I need you to be safe and well, if I - no, when I come back from killing him. I need you here and I'll need you to deal with that."

She sobbed silently next to me, feeling the weight of my words pounding at her heart.

"I love you, Harry Potter. I always have, and I always will. And it hurts me so bad to say it, but if you want me to stay here and wait for you, I will. I'd do anything for you."

I looked over at her, feeling myself falling in love with her again, and feeling the monster inside of me roaring with delight at her words.

"Don't say that." I said.

"Why? You can't deal with it? Because I do Harry! Forever and always, I love -"

I cut her off with a kiss. Her eyes widened for a moment, but closed as I let her into my mouth and my soul. I felt seventeen years of emptiness and sadness wash away, and felt a great bliss pass over me with every moment the kiss deepened. For a glorifying few moments, I forgot completely about Voldemort and Horcruxes and my fate, and just knew that I was here, with Ginny, kissing her as I had wanted to for the past year. But when we broke apart, it came back to me again.

"I didn't want you to say it because I knew that I would do that."

"What's wrong with that, Harry?" she asked me, and for a moment, the vulnerable girl returned to her, being scared and fearful and completely in love.

"It makes it harder for me to deny that I love you too."

She looked like a bludger had hit her in the head. Then, to my surprise and delight, she smiled, a slight grin at first, but turing into a full-fledged beam. The edges of my mouth tugged, and I gave in, and she kissed me again, this one much sweeter and more tended, but with the same intimacy as before. It left me with a promise.

"I'll wait for you Harry" she said quietly. "And when you come back, I still will love you."


But it's warmer where you're waiting.
It feels more like July.
There's pillows in their cases,
and one of those is mine.
And you wrote the words "I love you",
and sprayed it with perfume.
It's better than the fire is
to heat this lonely room.
It's warmer where you're waiting
It feels more like July.
It feels more like July


His body began responding before he knew what he was doing. He was up, had on his cloak, and leaving, when Ron awoke.

"Whadareyoudoing?" he asked Harry, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm going to her." Harry replied, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"To who?"

"Ginny."

"Why?

"Because-I just need to."

Ron sat up, startling Hermione.

"Alright, be back by morning. We need to keep searching."

Harry smiled, and with a swish of his cloak, he was gone.

***

The muffled "pop!" startled Ginny, causing her to sit up in the bed and look around.

"Harry?" she said-there was no one in the room, but she knew of his Invisibility cloak. They had spent many a night under it while sneaking around the castle.

"Hi." he said, pulling the cloak off of him. She settled down, as if it was the most normal thing in the world to have someone Apparate to your room in the middle of the night. Harry always had that safe effect on her.

He took a seat on the bed next to her, and, without a word, kissed her on the lips. They sat in the bed until Ginny quickly broke it apart. She shushed him.

"My mum's coming upstairs! Put the cloak on!"

He did that, just as Mrs. Weasley came into the room.

"I heard a noise! What's going on?"

"N-nothing, Mum. I just knocked my clock onto the floor. It's alright."

She looked skeptically at her daughter, but upon realizing that no one was in the room, she calmed down.

"I thought I heard someone Apparating."

"Nope. Just me here."

She sighed, bid Ginny goodnight, and left the room.

Harry took off the cloak.

"There's something I need to tell you." he said.

"Hopefully good news this time" she replied, a sly look on her face, replaced by one of curiosity.

"You were right, Gin. I do need you. More than I ever knew. I need you with me. I want you with me. I can't do it without you."

Ginny took his hand, and smiled.

"I was wondering when you'd come back. I was starting to get impatient."

He smiled back at her, and took her into his arms.

"You don't need to wait for me anymore, Gin. I'm yours."

A/N: I know, over-the-top fluff. I can't help it. I'm so excited that I finally finished my first HBP fic!!!! WOO HOO!!
Reviews 9
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear