Search:

SIYE Time:13:54 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Window Seat
By jamsel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-HBP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 14
Summary: A missing moment: Harry and Ginny label their relationship.
Hitcount: Story Total: 6788







ChapterPrinter


For Jocelyn

Are you lonely? Cause I’ve been lonely.

-The River Bends

“I like your hair,” Harry murmurs, flicking the ends of it with his thumb and his forefinger. The flowery scent he once discovered at the Burrow and revisited in potions class is wafting up at him and he figures it must be her shampoo or her perfume. She glances up with an amused expression on her face and rubs his head roughly, messing up his untidy black hair even more.

“I like your hair,” she replies with a saucy grin and settles back against his chest. They’re sitting on a red window seat that overlooks the lake. The best thing about the window seat is that there’s a bright red curtain that they can draw, creating their own tiny little private room. It’s just big enough for two. He smiles down at the top of her head, which is resting in the centre of his chest. Her thick red hair is splayed out all over him because she’s lying between his legs with her hands resting on top of his knees. He’s propped up his right leg so that she doesn’t fall off the window seat and she’s been drumming on it absently for the past five minutes.

He grabs at the drumming hand and holds it tightly while she lets out a giggle and struggles for a moment before letting it stay clasped in her own much smaller and softer grip. She looks up at him again with a different kind of grin and pokes his right lens. “I like your glasses.”

This surprises him; he has never seen glasses as something that a girl might find attractive. Hermione did take them away during fifth year and made them a little more oval shaped which she said suited his face better, but he never thought that Hermione did it to make him more…attractive. Remind me to thank Hermione for that, he thinks to himself, casting a glance down at the pretty redhead sitting between his legs. “I like your eyes,” he says, thinking that it’s probably the right thing to say because her mouth forms another kind of grin moments later. He feels like this grin belongs to him and him alone. It’s the kind of grin that can’t be controlled or called upon but springs up at a time of pure delight.

This seems way too easy for him. He’s never been able to be with a girl this easily before- besides Hermione, but she is a special sort of sister and looks after him with the kind of caring that most only receive from family members. That’s what they have become to him, a different sort of family, but family all the same. For the first time in his real, un-potion induced life, despite all of the deaths, the terrible childhood and the looming threat of his own demise, Harry Potter feels like luck has favoured him.

“What is it?” Ginny asks and he realizes that the expression on his face is contemplative.

“You know Ginny, it’s just that…well, I don’t know how to say this, but..” he shoots her a quick glance and grins. “I really, really… like your nose.”

She laughs aloud this time and he can tell that he had her in suspense for a fleeting moment. She twists around in his lap and leans up, placing a lightening quick kiss on his lips. As she settles back on his chest he buries his head in her neck and wraps his arms around her waist, pulling her close until his cheek is touching hers. He doesn’t really know how they came upon this seated position and it is quickly becoming his favourite.

He presses his lips against her cheek for a moment, until her cool flesh heats up and then hugs her tighter. Turning her head slightly to meet him, she reaches an arm out and cradles the back of her head with her small hand. She is stroking his cheek with her thumb as he stares into her bright brown eyes and he doesn’t want her to stop but he knows that this is just one of those things that she does to him that makes him lose control. He pinches her waist on both sides and she lets out a small giggle and pulls his head down towards her until they are kissing.

He likes kissing Ginny a lot more than kissing Cho. Her lips are warm, comforting but they hold many secrets and surprises that he has slowly been unlocking as they spend more time together. She pulls a fraction of a centimetre away and runs her tongue along his lower lip and he can tell she enjoys it when she makes his breath catch in his throat. Sliding his hands up her back, he rests them on the back of her neck and runs his thumbs along the rims of her ears. “I like your ears, too,” he mumbles and she kisses him on the cheek before turning back around and pulling his arms around her tight.

“That was quite the practice today, Captain,” she says after a moment, breaking the silence that he has discovered can be comfortable when in the presence of the right person. He is confused for a moment. “My calves are aching.” Oh. Quidditch.

He’d held a final team practice earlier in the day for everyone to fly around together in celebration of the end of a championship season. “It wasn’t supposed to be tough,” he said, wrinkling his eyebrows. She was silent for a moment.

“It was,” she protests with a steely edge to her voice.

“No it wasn’t,” he retorts and she sits up and spins around.

“I think I’m a perfectly good judge of what is and isn’t a hard Quidditch practice. I don’t even know why we were practicing, we already won the cup.” As she says this she leans up against the opposite wall of the window seat and brings her legs up to her chest.

“It was supposed to be a last team fly. I thought you of all people would enjoy it!” He is shouting now and crosses his legs so that there is no way they would be touching her.

“You made us do laps,” she states, incredulously.

“Doesn’t mean you lot don’t need to keep up your good form for next season,” he protests. She rolls her eyes. “I enjoyed myself.” He’s confused and stares at her for a minute. She looked like she was having fun earlier that day.

“Well if that’s your idea of fun, I can’t wait for our first date. Oh wait a minute; I have nothing to worry about, because we’re not even dating!” She’s ranting now and he knows better than to get in the way because she won’t listen to him. “Oh no, Harry Potter just gets to snog whoever he wants, whenever he wants and doesn’t even think about relationships or girlfriends. He must be above that!” She shoves herself off of the window seat with such force that she’s out from behind the curtain before the impact of her words washes over him. When it does, he tears out from behind the red velvet and lunges for her elbow. He grabs the edge of her jumper and holds on.

“Ginny,” he says in a voice that hopefully sounds calm. Inside he’s panicking. She tries to pull away from him but he grabs hold of her wrist with his other hand and turns her around. Her expression is so fierce he momentarily glances down at himself to make sure he isn’t on fire. “You know I like you. We were just talking about it.” He doesn’t understand as she crosses her arms and huffs at him.

“And you know I like you. How come I’m not your girlfriend?” she demands, her red hair falling into her face.

“I thought you were, well, last time I checked,” he says, confused. All of this kissing, hanging out, enjoying one another’s company, he wonders what a relationship is, if not what they’ve been doing.

“Funny, you never mentioned that to me,” she spits back, hugging her arms around herself so tight that he thinks she might break something. He’s taken aback by her comment. Isn’t ‘girlfriend’ something that’s implied? Apparently not. “I mean, we’ve been hanging out and snogging for three days and you keep telling me you like me so much and all of these things…I just.” She stops for a moment and can tell she’s thinking of the right words to say. “I’ve liked you for a long time, you know I have, but I’m never going to be a quick snog for any guy, no matter who it is.” She’s staring at him now, most of the anger drained from her eyes and he sees that another emotion is gripping her. It looks like…hurt.

He stares at her for a moment. “I didn’t know I was supposed to ask, I mean with Cho there was a Hogsmeade visit so that was easy, I just sort of thought the girlfriend thing was er…undeclared.” He shrugs and she’s still staring at him with an eyebrow slightly raised. “So I guess I’m an idiot.” He pauses momentarily, grasping at straws. “I have a question for you though,” he says, racking his brain for a good way to get out of this mess.

“Will I be your girlfriend?” Ginny asks sarcastically, a pink tinge of anger, scepticism and embarrassment covering her cheeks.

“No,” he says and she throws her arms up in the air in exasperation.

“Well, go on then.”

“Can I be your boyfriend?”

“Fine.”

He can tell that she’s trying hard not to laugh as he closes the distance between them. “This means that you’re my girlfriend,” he says, futility embracing his struggle to contain his smile. He figures he deserves the punch that she instantly delivers to his arm.

“Oh shut up,” she says, embarrassed and trying not to look too pleased. She fails and even biting her lip can’t stop the smile that spreads across her face. “It’s not my fault that you’re thick.”

He decides not to dispute the point. “Anything else that I’m forgetting?” he asks smiling at the embarrassed redhead standing in front of him.

“I think you’re forgetting that we have another date at the window seat that started five minutes ago.”

Finito.

Special thanks to PythonBlossom for beta reading this for me super fast!


Reviews 14
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear