Search:

SIYE Time:15:10 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Bonfire Night
By Shattered Midnight Dreams

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 18
Summary: Hermione gives Harry and Ginny a little push in the right direction with a case of fireworks...
Hitcount: Story Total: 4887







ChapterPrinter








 


Bonfire Night


 


Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley were sitting in the warm, fire-lit common room, letting the effects of their dinner wash over them.


None of them said anything, for they had no energy to do anything except stare into the flames and digest the food.


Harry smiled as the dancing flames reminded him of Ginny Weasley, who he had become good friends with over the past two years. Their merry dancing was so like Ginny's bouncing, enthusiastic happiness that he could picture her face, with its bright brown eyes, a long layer of flame serving to imitate Ginny's long red hair…


"Earth to Harry!" Hermione said gently, a smile appearing on her face.


He jolted from his reverie and turned to look at her.


"Sorry," he said, "but I was just wondering where Ginny is."


He could have sworn he saw Hermione roll her eyes at this, but when he blinked and looked again she wasn't, so he couldn't be sure.


"I think Ginny said something about going flying over the grounds… Quidditch practise, perhaps," Ron said vaguely with a shrug of his shoulders.


'Poor Ron, clueless as ever,' Hermione thought, 'he doesn't even think to ask why Harry wanted to know where Ginny was. Though the answer to that is obvious.'


Harry didn't have to wonder for long, though, as a wet, bedraggled Ginny scrambled through the portrait hole, broomstick in hand. Her long hair was plastered to her neck and down the length of her back, and she looked thoroughly annoyed.


Her scowl was lifted, however, when she saw Harry, Ron and Hermione sprawled upon a squashy sofa in the immediate vicinity of the roaring fire.


"Oh…" she said happily as she sank down next to Harry, though not too close so as not to soak him, and spread her hands out towards the fire.


"You look as though someone's tried to drown you, Ginny! What on Earth happened?" Hermione asked.


The younger redhead laughed.


"It was my fault. I saw the rain clouds but I just had to go out. You know how it is- (she turned to look at Ron and Harry who nodded, remembering some of the awful conditions they had to play in during years gone by)- I needed to go flying, just by myself, to just forget about homework for a while. But I looked out and saw all these rain clouds… Stupid me, I went out anyway, as this was probably the only evening I would have free all week."


"Then it began to rain," Harry continued for her. She shook her head; her red locks reflecting the light cast on them by the fire.


"Correction, Harry, it did not begin to rain. It did, however, begin to pour. It was like the whole contents of the lake being dumped on me over and over. But, like the ass I am, I thought that it would go over if I just stayed out for while…"


"And, judging by the soaked Ginny we see before us," Harry grinned, "it decided that it was not going to stop."


Ginny said nothing, just moved slightly closer to the fire.


"Ginny," Hermione rolled her eyes, "you are a witch, aren't you?"


"Well, Hermione," Ginny rolled her eyes, "seeing as I have been here, at one of the finest schools of witchcraft and wizarding, for the last six years learning spells, I would be very worried if it turned out that I wasn't a witch."


'I must not laugh,' Harry thought, 'I must not laugh, or Hermione will kill me.'


Hermione simply scowled and pulled out her wand.


"Hermione, no! You can't hex Ginny!" Ron shouted.


"Don't be ridiculous, Ron," Hermione sniffed, and waved her wand in a complicated fashion to conjure hot air, which she pointed at Ginny.


"Thanks, Hermione," Ginny said gratefully as she lifted her hair to let the air dry the back of her robes.


"Not so sarcastic now, then," Hermione said sulkily, but they could tell she wasn't really annoyed.


Hermione got up from her seat and walked over to one of the windows.


"Look, it's stopped raining! It's a lovely night, the moon is beautiful…"


She pulled a gesture of surprise that was so fake it could only have been Hermione trying to act, and said, in a voice filled with false horror:


"Oh, Ron! I forgot about that… Er… Astronomy homework I have to do! Yeah… So, Ron, will you come with me to North Tower?"


Ron looked rather perplexed.


"What Astronomy homework?" he asked cluelessly.


"Oh, just come on!" she snapped, and grabbed his hand.


She stopped to whisper in Harry's ear:


"Oh yes, and when you kiss Ginny, do make it romantic, won't you?"


Harry blushed.


"You are so subtle, Hermione, you know that, don't you? And what makes you think I even want to kiss Ginny?" he added as an afterthought.


Hermione winked.


"Oh, I've got too many reasons to list now, Harry. Oh, yes, and there's a box of fireworks under your bed to help you create the perfect scene. I owled Fred and George and they sent them over. So, do have fun, okay?"


"Hermione, I do not believe you. You've been planning this for weeks, haven't you?" He said in shock.


She simply dragged Ron along with her in answer, turning back only to smile at him in an infuriating manner.


"Ginny," he said timidly to the girl when his friends had disappeared, who was currently staring out the window at the crisp, clear night.


"Yes, Harry?" she turned suddenly to look at him.


"I have a box of Fred and George's fireworks under my bed, and, as it's bonfire night…"


A grin lit up Ginny's face.


"Oh! Let's go set them off, you mean?"


He nodded, and hated himself for going shy around her.


'You were chatting to her happily an hour ago!' he told himself angrily.


"But isn't that against the rules?" she asked, although she didn't appear worried about it.


He shrugged.


"Probably."


A light came on in Ginny's eyes, an almost insane light.


"When do we go?"


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


'I can't quite believe I'm doing this,' Harry thought as he crossed the grounds with he, Ginny and an enormous crate of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes best fireworks crushed together under his invisibility cloak.


"We had better go right to the bottom of the grounds," Ginny whispered, before she began to giggle.


"Can you believe that we're doing this?" she asked.


'No, and I also can't believe that I'm actually considering going through with Hermione's suggestion,' Harry thought.


He looked over at Ginny, and he was surprised by what he saw. Ginny had grown up from the little girl with a crush on her big brother's friend to a young woman who would never be as ridiculous now as she had been then. Her looks had grown up too, and instead of being a skinny girl she had filled out beautifully, and her long hair set off her body. Her large brown eyes and cheeky smile never failed to cheer him up.


'Imagine what Ron would say now, if he saw you drooling over his little sister,' he thought suddenly, and he immediately felt guilty.


"What is it, Harry? Do a have a mark on my face?" She asked worriedly.


"Oh… No…" he muttered, and blushed at being caught staring. He quickly averted his gaze from his companion, instead staring into the night.


"What about here?" Ginny asked, and Harry lowered the box of fireworks to the ground in answer.


"It seems an awful pity that Ron and Hermione couldn't come and watch," she continued as Harry began to undo the straps of the crate.


"Oh, I'm not sure they mind," Harry said acidly, thinking of Hermione as he said it. However, Ginny appeared not to have heard the tone of his voice.


 


"Now," said Harry as he stood back and looked at the vast range of fireworks lying upon the ground, his Invisibility Cloak discarded beside them.


"How in hell do we set these off?" Ginny asked, not really expecting an answer.


"I dunno… When it is Fred and George's doing, it could be anything," Harry sighed.


Ginny got her wand out and prodded the end of one of the fireworks. It zoomed into the dark sky with a whistle and exploded with a bang.


"I suppose that answers our question," Ginny said with a weak smile.


Harry grinned back and prodded a few more of them, which formed a dragon that snaked across the sky. He waved his wand over around twenty of them, which decorated the sky with shimmering dragons and huge Catherine wheels made of light which danced among the darkness.


'Well, I suppose this is as good a time as any,' Harry thought as he studied Ginny while she watched the fireworks. The look of childlike delight upon her face and the way his heart lurched confirmed his worst fears. He would have to do it now, while he had this great setting, or else he would not be able to get over his stupidity.


"Um, Ginny?" he asked tentatively.


She turned to look at him, and a voice inside him screamed 'do it now!'


Leaning down, he closed his eyes and made to kiss her, but he could tell by the feel of her skin that he hadn't met her lips…


Opening his eyes, he was horrified to see that he had hit her nose…


 


 


"Oh, CRAP!" Hermione shouted, and Ron jumped.


"What is it, Hermione?" he asked.


"Oh, nothing…" she said, and went back to gazing at harry and Ginny through her telescope.


 


His emerald eyes widened and he stepped back… He was so embarrassed… He had just blown it…


Ginny was as surprised as Harry. He tried to kiss me… KISS ME…Harry Potter just tried to kiss me! Okay, so he did miss, but I suppose he hasn't realised how much he has grown…


Harry thought suddenly of running away, but he found he couldn't. His legs were glued to the spot.


Ginny thought quickly, and, stepping forward a few steps, she stood on her tiptoes and pressed her lips against his.


 


Hermione began to laugh in joy, and Ron now looked really worried.


"Hermione, what is up with you tonight?" he asked, and she sighed in response.


"Oh, I might as well show you, I suppose you would find out anyway…"


She beckoned him to look into the telescope, and she smiled as she heard him splutter indignantly.


"Harry! A-a-and Ginny! Harry! Snogging Ginny! Harry kissing my SISTER!"


Hermione smiled as she watched the happy couple and she said:


"Mission accomplished…"


End


A.n. Like it? If you do, leave a review!



Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear